Plateaued... What next?

jdlancaster

Hi,

I've been in Thailand for 2 years. I can speak, read and, write (spelling is an issue). I live in a small village in Phrae province, my exgfs don't speak English, and am self-taught. I generally speak thai except for when I teach, but I feel like I have plateaued.... I can speak my way around any problems, but I would like to get that next level... but the last 6 months I feel like I haven't improved much. After teaching this school year might consider just studying... anyone have any experience with university Thai studies... or advanced Thai studies? Level wise, I would consider myself a speaking B1+ (CEFR)... I studied French in France at a university and was considered B1. I feel more comfortable speaking Thai than French, but I'd say French is easier to write due to spelling. Thanks for your feedback.

Difficult to know what to say as the higher you go the slower the progress. I make a habit of noting down words my wife says and building my vocab that way. I try to keep it to a minimum so as not to annoy her with so many questions. If you are in constant contact with Thai, you should be exposed to new vocab and structures all the time but I went through the same thing as you but I felt it was due to lack of motivation on my part which was due to tiredness from studying it all the time. Took many years for that to pass.

What books are you reading in Thai and at what level? The way to improve you language usage in any language including your own is to read more, well-written books.

The way to improve your Thai spelling is to practice Thai spelling. I recommend the Anki flashcard program, free from ankisrs.net, to memorize vocabulary. If you configure Anki to require a typed response to the English prompt, rather than just pronouncing the Thai word, then Anki will flag your spelling errors for you. And or course you will expand and maintain your vocabulary as well. You can even learn to touch-type Thai in the process.

The best study is with a qualified Thai teacher, of course. I study in person with a highly qualified teacher, who has also taught several ambassadors, at the Sumaa Language and Culture Institute here in BKK. They do skype sessions also. Contact at sumaa.net.

It's excellent to aspire to a high-level of fluency. Good luck to you.

I can recommend the series of Jack Reacher books by Lee Child that are available in good bookshops. There are about 6 or 7 titles available and I find the Thai language 'relatively' easy to understand.

The good thing about these books is that they are based on Western culture and therefore the story line makes good sense.They are also a cracking good read that will keep your interest up.

I would suggest starting off with "Killing Floor" which is Lee Child's debut book, but the books can be read in any order. Title in Thai is ลานละเลงเลือด

Thanks for the replies. Ya, I'd say motivation has gone down, especially since I can handle all my basic needs and anyone I speak with regularly is used to the way I speak... book wise, I've mostly just read pratom stuff, kinda boring. I'll check out the flash cards and books suggested. Hopefully the books can keep me interested.

Archived