PM says his patience has limits with biased columnists

rooster59

PM says his patience has limits with biased columnists

2512001-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha said Friday that he would no longer put up with biased criticisms from some irresponsible newspaper columnists and had instructed security officers to invite them for talks.

He said the media should not accuse him of depriving them of free expressions as he had already made clear to them the limits of free expressions and media’s responsibilities.

The prime minister complained that his government had wasted time and energy trying to dispose the huge rice stocks left over from the rice pledging scheme and would not be held accountable for the losses from the scheme.

“Who did what about the rice pledging scheme should be held accountable,” he said.

He also urged voters to exercise their right when the new draft constitution is put up for referendum if they want to see changes in the Thai society.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-says-his-patience-has-limits-with-biased-columnists

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-12-26

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And so it begins.

Bias is always in the eye of the beholder. Almost by definition an opinion writer has bias, Whether or not you agree with that bias is another matter.

Free societies deal with that. There will always be opinions that you disagree with. The totalitarian societies tell you what opinion is acceptable, everything gets labeled as seditious.

I fear that we are well down the road to the latter

He said the media should not accuse him of depriving them of free expressions as he had already made clear to them the limits of free expressions and media’s responsibilities.

Hello class!

Today, we will learn about cognitive dissonance. Can anyone give me a concise example of cognitive dissonance?

Anyone?

Yes, Prayut.

When he is finished with the media people I wonder if his next target will be netizens using the Computer Crimes Act as his tool.

Seriously, I suppose it is possible. Thai citizens, likely.

But I think not expats. That would certainly blow the lid off any remaining tolerance by the US and EU.

How unsurprising by the little man. Every day brings more news that Thailand is heading downhill with increasing speed.

Can't wait for the usual suspects telling us it's OK because Thaksin intimidated some reporters way back when.

How unsurprising by the little man. Every day brings more news that Thailand is heading downhill with increasing speed.

Can't wait for the usual suspects telling us it's OK because Thaksin intimidated some reporters way back when.

That is the truth he did, but they are both wrong. The PM is clearly going to far.

When he is finished with the media people I wonder if his next target will be netizens using the Computer Crimes Act as his tool.

But I think not expats. That would certainly blow the lid off any remaining tolerance by the US and EU.

Unfortunately I am beginning to wonder about that.

Even if it were true, I don't think they would much care - 'Either we run the place or nobody does' is the mentality we are dealing with here.

As regularly shown it's all about control and I'd think we expats are fair game too.

I don't see upsetting foreign governments worrying them as long as they feel secure in power but what we are discussing is born of insecurity and that's dangerous.

The usual suspects are the enablers of such totalitarian behaviour.

The usual apologists will always justify the representative of their idiot-logy as correct.

Remember Hobson's choice? You can say and think what you want as long as you do and think what I tell you."

The human Gerbils are happy with that.

A monster has been born ...

In a long line of them. Google Sarit and Pleak Pibunsongkhran.

So far, this one is a light strong man. Sarit rounded up students and made them disappear.

Yes but

in Sarit's time, it was much, much easier for a Thai government to control the flow of information. And Sarit had the full backing of the U.S.' political and financial clout as Thailand was a front line in the Cold War.

I think they'd just find ways not to renew or extend visas for long-termers, if they could identify who regularly complained on forums and FB, and got IP addresses etc - which I suspect would be very easy, given the current circs.

Edited by Mister Fixit