• Latest posts...

1. 45

Reasons of change

2. 45

Reasons of change

3. 45

Reasons of change

4. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

5. 112

Thai Police Bust Multi-Million Baht Sex Toy Smuggling Ring

6. 45

Reasons of change

7. 45

Reasons of change

8. 6

Thai woman sends husband to prison for raping 13 year old niece

9. 45

Reasons of change

10. 10

Why Doesnt "Me Too" Apply to Democrats?

11. 123

Why Do You Even Drink?

12. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

Phuket marks 11 years since tsunami

rooster59

Phuket marks 11 years since tsunami

30275711-01_big.jpg?1451100783083

PHUKET: TODAY marks 11 years since the deadly tsunami claimed thousands of lives in 2004

Eleven years ago, deadly waves battered the Andaman coast, and this year a memorial ceremony will be held outside Phuket City Hall, along with five similar events across the province.

The event at City Hall will consist of religious ceremonies and alms being offered to monks. Another ceremony will be held at Dolphin Park on Patong Beach, including an exhibition and a speech on dharma from well-known nun Sansanee Satiensut.

Meanwhile, a quick look around showed that signs pointing people to safety in some places, such as in front of Mt Khuan Nayak in Kathu district, had faded, while another at Dolphin Park was covered by advertising bills.

Second Lieutenant Thrakun Thootham, director of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Regional Centre 18 in Phuket, admitted that some warning signs had been broken or were missing, but said the centre was exploring the area and taking steps to install new signs and replace those that were missing.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Phuket-marks-11-years-since-tsunami-30275711.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-26

But the locals have not learned anything from it. Kao Lak land take over has gone over the top. Buildings right on the beach. Nothing has changed on Patong beach front. sad.png

The days and weeks I spent looking for children and parents for Spanish speaking families totally distraught....something I never want to do again. Identifying bodies, seeing happy families reunited. Surreal times for little ol' me. coffee1.gif

Looking at those two areas today, like nothing has happened.

But the locals have not learned anything from it. Kao Lak land take over has gone over the top. Buildings right on the beach. Nothing has changed on Patong beach front. sad.png

The days and weeks I spent looking for children and parents for Spanish speaking families totally distraught....something I never want to do again. Identifying bodies, seeing happy families reunited. Surreal times for little ol' me. coffee1.gif

I don't think we expected them to stop the building work. What we need to ensure is that the early warning systems are in place and maintained and that they are tested regularly and people know what to do. The problem on that deadly day was that most people wanted to take photos and videos without any idea of what was happening.

I stayed in a Khao Lak bungalow a few weeks before that was devastated and had staff lost . One Saturday before Bali bombings I was in Sari Club. Thinking I have missed a few bullets I can only remember the teachings of Don Juan from Carlos Casteneda books regarding the warrior.

Death is always hanging over the shoulder, only ever inches away.

Edited by arunsakda

Only flicker of light at Phuket tsunami memorial ceremony
Phuket Gazette

ts.jpeg
Governor Chamroen led other Phuket officials in laying out flowers in memory of the victims. Photo: Phuket PR

PHUKET: After much fanfare marking the 10th anniversary of the Indian Ocean Tsunami last year, the Light Up Phuket memorial on Patong Beach was extraordinarily quiet.

In years past, the entire beach was lit up with candles decorating sand sculptures. However, this year, no free candles or flowers were handed out, and only about twenty candles were set out in memory of the more than 5,000 people who died in Thailand from the devastating waves. Last year, the Phuket Provincial Administration Organization provided a budget for candles and other items to mark the 10th anniversary.

“We are deeply sorry for the people we have lost. They will never be forgotten,” said Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada during an opening speech to about 30 people at the main stage in Patong. “Because we lost so much, we have learned so much. We have learned about how tsunamis work; we have learned how to help each other; we have learned to deal with mortality; we have learned what we need to do to prevent such natural disasters from destroying our communities.”

Governor Chamroen led other Phuket officials in laying out flowers in memory of the victims.

“Though we still feel the loss, we also have the memories of coming together and uniting as a community to comfort and heal those most in need. Walking together, we can now see how strong and beautiful Phuket has once again become,” said Patong Mayor Chalermluk Kebsup. “Those who were not able to attend the memorial service on Saturday can still come to the beach and light candles or place flowers to pay their respects to those we have lost.”

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Only-flicker-light-Phuket-tsunami-memorial-ceremony/62753?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2015-12-30

So the people in San Francisco, CA should all leave because they had a huge earthquake years ago and are predicted to have greater ones in the future ? Because the tsunami devasted that area it can't be built on anymore ? All needs to be done is that the warning systems are working and info is given to residents and tourists as well on what to do when the sireens go off so they have time to get to higher ground and safety.

So the people in San Francisco, CA should all leave because they had a huge earthquake years ago and are predicted to have greater ones in the future ? Because the tsunami devasted that area it can't be built on anymore ? All needs to be done is that the warning systems are working and info is given to residents and tourists as well on what to do when the sireens go off so they have time to get to higher ground and safety.

Exactly. Does anyone know whether there is now an effective warning system in place to prevent similar avoidable calamities in the future?

The question why Thailand was not warned about the approaching tsunami after it hit Indonesia remains unanswered.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/indian-ocean-tsunami-why-did-the-information-not-get-out/207?utm_source=Global+Research+Newsletter&utm_campaign=bf24dbb5c2-newsletter_27_12_1512_27_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0ec9ab057f-bf24dbb5c2-81230461&ct=t%28newsletter_27_12_1512_27_2015%29&mc_cid=bf24dbb5c2&mc_eid=fd7e0bc66b

Not to mention the question whether the tsunami was triggered by an underwater nuclear explosion as some have suggested.