Immigration Promenada One Stop Service 2016-2017

Tywais

On 12/25/2017 at 7:07 AM, Fore Man said:

To those that challenge the idea of using a paid service, it’s a strictly personal choice and totally up to each expat to use them or slog it out in the queue. No need to endlessly debate it. 

Apparently no need to use them OR slog it out in the queue. see #1739 :smile:

Re preceding post authored by amexpat, it’s nice to know that workarounds exist for the disabled or those 75 or older, but the vast majority of all others, using the One Stop service isn’t a viable option. So I return to my mantra that it’s up to each appIicant to decide what works best for his or her given situation and needs. Some folks actually enjoy waiting in line outside with others interminably and use it as a social occasion. But for those whose time is valuable or who have minor ailments that make waiting in the queue a less than stellar experience, it is a boon to them to be able to use the services of a paid agency. The real bottom line here?  No need to debate  a topic that is rooted in personal choice, even though that choice may irritate others. 

• Like 2

On 12/26/2017 at 11:38 AM, NancyL said:

See my post #1733 above.  The "Priority Lane" isn't just for people over age 75.  It's also for those with physical ailments.  Ask at the Info Desk outside Imm. that is staff by the college interns for the form to complete to access the Priority Lane.  It can be done on the day that service is desired.  In many cases, when the ailment is obvious, you don't need to have a doctor's letter.  Recently, I saw them treat a couple with respect and courtesy because the husband was very obviously blind and frail.  They had arrived at 2:30 pm and both were able to obtain their retirement extensions and MEP without using an agent on the day they arrived.  One of the college interns even took care of making the copies of their passport and helped them fill out the Imm. forms. And this was on the day after a holiday when the place was heaving with customers.  No need to pay an agent.

That`s a huge benefit for those who are very elderly or physically challenged, but it comes at a cost to those of us who are under 75 and can still manage to walk 20 or so yards without the aid of a nurse. I doubt immigration have or will lay on more staff for what they consider are the priority applicants, which means those like me, under 75 and still reasonably fit will probably be pushed even further back in the queue.

Times have changed, Nancy, these days at every end of the spectrum, to obtain a reasonable service we have to pay or otherwise expect to only receive  a crap service. That`s the way it`s gone and therefore we need to consider the most viable means possible according to each person`s tolerance and endurance levels. I strongly suspect that when immigration returns to the near airport area that the situation will not improve, they will find ways of creating more inconvenience and hassle whereas we will need to fork out more money to pay middlemen agencies for an easier life, just wait and see. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

That`s a huge benefit for those who are very elderly or physically challenged, but it comes at a cost to those of us who are under 75 and can still manage to walk 20 or so yards without the aid of a nurse. I doubt immigration have or will lay on more staff for what they consider are the priority applicants, which means those like me, under 75 and still reasonably fit will probably be pushed even further back in the queue.

You should make a complaint .

The next time that you are in the queue and an elderly infirm person , who has difficulty walking and even standing gets moved ahead of you in the queue , you should tell him "Oi sunshine , I was here first, get to the back of the queue , you queue jumper"

• Haha 1

Cyberfarang The priority lane service is conducted in the same room as the TM 30 nonsense, ie upstairs, it does not remotely effect the queue downstairs.

That was the situation when I used it 3 weeks back.

Being 75 and over does not necessarily mean you have a nurse in tow.The girl who handles application is not just processing retirement extensions its just part of her overall function.

It doesnt, I repeat, have any bearing on the numbers in under 75 applicant queue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 5:55 PM, Sparkles said:

Reaching the milestone of 75 years last July I went to Imm today to take advantage of the PRIORITY LANE for a retirement extension, so most of you can tune out:smile:

As mentioned in above posts it was very busy as there was an overflow from yesterday following the Monday holiday.

For those considering the PRIORITY LANE here is the outcome of my experience.

I picked up the application form some days ago and was told, at the time, to bring it to the front desk outside the day I decided to apply.

I arrived ,as suggested, at 9.15 am, the same girl who gave me the form was non plussed where I should go.There is no signage but she directed me to the second floor.

That too was busy with people processing the TM 30's and Residency letter applications.I asked 3 staff, was met with blank stares, until I found in the far right corner a guy playing with his phone and he didnt know but took my paperwork back downstairs I presume to ask his superior.

Turned out the girl sitting right next to him at the computer was responsible for processing priority lane applications... hmm wasn't looking good.

She pointed to the chairs and told my wife and I to wait.We managed to park on 2 plastic stools.

25 minutes later she came over and said your application is not complete you must provide photo copies of your last 5 visa extension stamps.Of course I asked why ? how is that relevant ?..Its the new law she said and wasnt going to waver.So my wife went down stairs and waited in the copy shop queue and returned with the relevant pages which I signed.

Another 20 mins + passed and I was then called up for the photo and told to wait.

I knew it had to be signed off by the captain and that took another 45 mins +

So its obvious that no staff meetings are held so everyone is on the same page regarding the PRORITY LANE.process

We finally saw my passport come up from downstairs with others. After 10 mins ,I had to go and ask for it.It was handed to me without a word.

The girl ,not in uniform,was quite unpleasant and my paperwork is always legible and in order.I havent had that experience in over 10 years in CM they are normally very courteus as I am.

We finally left there at 12.15pm ,the only advantage it seems of using the Priority method is that we did not have to get there very early to get a ticket.

I wont need Imm fror another year unless I need a re entry visa ,90 day reporting will be be done by mail as always, for that I am grateful

In passing the old GT4 office the place was packed,despite reported price increases to use their services, business appears to be booming

While speaking of the Priority Lane, what was the total time for this, Sparkles?

9 minutes ago, chuang said:

I am wondering why these people are still here if they spend a morning once in 90 days or a year to have their immigration paperworks done...or have the service of an agent..

Good question. We agency fee-payers need to stay abreast of the normal, unassisted  process and not be caught totally unprepared for the day that our chosen company decides to go out of business.  Happened to me last month when I showed up at G4T’s offices as prearranged by an appointment secured only 10-days previously...only to find that the space was being renovated and that G4T no longer was extant. I prepared myself to join the queue but then learned about Tian and decided to give them a try. From the grumbling I keep hearing and reading about in this forum, I’m certainly glad I did. Immigration has miles to go before they can be considered as a worthy, efficient organization. Individually the staff are comprised of some wonderful and helpful folks, but I’d rather not be inconvenienced because of their overall ineptitude as a group and insistence on promulgating confusing red tape.  The rank and file there deserve so much better from their superiors. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Cyberfarang The priority lane service is conducted in the same room as the TM 30 nonsense, ie upstairs, it does not remotely effect the queue downstairs.

That was the situation when I used it 3 weeks back.

Being 75 and over does not necessarily mean you have a nurse in tow.The girl who handles application is not just processing retirement extensions its just part of her overall function.

It doesnt, I repeat, have any bearing on the numbers in under 75 applicant queue.

Yes I know there are lifts but it says it all when the priority lane for the aged and infirm is on the upper levels.

1514231.gif

Edited by Thailand

On 12/26/2017 at 11:38 AM, NancyL said:

See my post #1733 above.  The "Priority Lane" isn't just for people over age 75.  It's also for those with physical ailments.  Ask at the Info Desk outside Imm. that is staff by the college interns for the form to complete to access the Priority Lane.  It can be done on the day that service is desired.  In many cases, when the ailment is obvious, you don't need to have a doctor's letter.  Recently, I saw them treat a couple with respect and courtesy because the husband was very obviously blind and frail.  They had arrived at 2:30 pm and both were able to obtain their retirement extensions and MEP without using an agent on the day they arrived.  One of the college interns even took care of making the copies of their passport and helped them fill out the Imm. forms. And this was on the day after a holiday when the place was heaving with customers.  No need to pay an agent.

Thanks so much for the tip. I guess we'll give that a try, but w/o an MD letter. That's more trouble than just waiting it out I'd guess. She isn't blind but is quite frail and uses a walker. She can't sustain for a real long time, but I think she'd be okay sitting in the walker in the queue and the waiting area is air conditioned. It appears to me that the agent service might shave off a couple of hours at best for a considerable fee, but I fail to see why sitting a while should be that much of a hardship.  One year I helped a very elderly man who had just had open heart surgery and could hardly walk. To help him out and rid of the hard chairs, I took him up the escalator to that shop where they have the very expensive chairs for massages and such. When the owner showed up and saw this old man sitting in one he was very gracious about it. The old man got through, just took a while. 

20 hours ago, hml367 said:

While speaking of the Priority Lane, what was the total time for this, Sparkles?

At the front desk at 9.15 am downstairs,  at their previous,suggestion,presented the "Prority Lane" application form which is basically only name,address,age.Confusion from the interns where I had to go they  finally decided it was the TM 30 room.

2 floors up the escalators. Overall took 2 hours, 45 mins of which was waiting for the "magic" sign off signature.Main advantage obviously was not having to get there at the crack of dawn and repeat there was no ticket number involved.There was only one other Priority Lane applicant while I was there

Edited by Sparkles

3 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

At the front desk at 9.15 am downstairs,  at their previous,suggestion,presented the "Prority Lane" application form which is basically only name,address,age.Confusion from the interns where I had to go they  finally decided it was the TM 30 room.

2 floors up the escalators. Overall took 2 hours, 45 mins of which was waiting for the "magic" sign off signature.Main advantage obviously was not having to get there at the crack of dawn and repeat there was no ticket number involved.There was only one other Priority Lane applicant while I was there

Thank you, Sparkles... and Happy New Year!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Time to exercise my civic duty and report on my retirement extension at Promenada. Last year arrived at 6:30, received queue number (I was three) about 8:30, had my visa by 10:00 AM. Of course, I had prepared ahead by printing a PDF copy of my passport that I update with every change, filled in the TM 7, had the relevant income verification. This year  was the same except I was number 11 and didn't finish until 10:45. I went upstairs as always and did some fun shopping at Rimping, a little bank business that's convenient there, and did a few other things that are handy at that part of town, always a great pleasure. I took in the Airport Plaza before the change. Also, as always, for 14 years now, very much enjoyed the services and the people I meet at immigration, emphasis always. I'm in great health and love Thailand, love people, and have nothing but time, so I've never experienced any displeasure, hardship or difficult people at Immigration, not that some don't I understand.  I've been tempted to arrange an agent for a friend who is badly disabled and very fragile, but so far can't see how there's any real advantage. If you're not waiting here, you're waiting there as long as your heart keeps ticking, but I'll use the agent to help someone else if it works. I understand there is a POW form that can be used to allow a disabled applicant to remain home and use a proxy. That's something I'll look into further.  Good fortune to all. 

Edited by cusanus

Cusanas' post is defnitely one of the more thoughtful and useful of many observations on recent experiences at Immigration in Chiang Mai, which I have been monitoring and commenting upon for more than ten years. I don't agree altogether with his advice, but I the general gist of the post is useful.

SHORT READ:  In some cases, given the disabilities of the applicants for extensions of stay (or other business), I strongly recommend a paid agent.  (If you think that is expensive, were you really financailly able to make such an international move that you have made ?!) Personally, I am not at the point where I need one, but will not hesitate in the future to get help to make sure my i's are dotted and t's are crossed).  Right now, I know how to do that (even in some complex situations), but in the future?  Probably not. Otherwise, consider that the office is still in a state of change (with lots of improvements), and will remain so until they shake out the new office at the airport when it opens. 

To comment upon the question about the accommodations offerred by Immigration to the aged and disabled, there ARE changes, but they are new, formalized more than previously, but still in transition.  That's a good reason to use an agent rather than thread the needle riding a wheelchair.

Now, more generally....

There are differences of opinion, but ignorance, lack of personal effort (doing the homework), general attitudinal problems (some appalling behavior at the office!!!)  and carping that has SO characterized many previous posts over the years has diminished considerably.  Quite a change for this Chiang Mai thread. Great!

No, I am not an employee of the department, nor do I apologize for the egregious amount of time it took to start straightening out the Chiang Mai office (which still needs strong management and change) to staff up to meet the FLOOD of expatriates looking for heaven in Chiang Mai.  Otherwise, of recent date (a couple of years) there has been only one case I have experienced  of an office (a very young woman on the TM30 desk) who did (still does?) need a lot more customer relations training.Chalk it up to her arrogance of youth and/or having dealt too much in one day with arrogant, ignorant  and demanding foreigners. Not bad for morethan ten years. Well, I can deal with that!

Chiang Mai Immigration, no different from many agencies of government ---  any government ---  doesn't make life particularly easy. Indeed, I would rate it quite low comparatively on the scale of customer service and efficacy among Thai govermental agencies I have dealt with, so to get keyed in can take some effort.  So, do it!

Keyed in? The information is basically there to use (government threads, or here on this thread and on other ThaiVisa Immigration threads).  But one does need to read with some discrimination, ESPECIALLY  the many general comments on ThaiVisa which are based upon supposition, dim memory, second- and third-hand information or just terribly incomplete and/or coloured /inaccurate reports of personal encounters (depending upon how thorough, accurate and/or grumpy the poster might be).

All in all, have things improved?  In my view, yes, in recent years, no doubt about it. HUGE increases in the number of expatriates coming to Chiang Mai (many seemingly helpless or grumpy) served and problems to deal with in my time around here. So, I suggest, do your homework, report here your experiences accurately and completely to help other people with your recent, first-hand experiences  --- and jai yen!

12 hours ago, Mapguy said:

Cusanas' post is defnitely one of the more thoughtful and useful of many observations on recent experiences at Immigration in Chiang Mai, which I have been monitoring and commenting upon for more than ten years. I don't agree altogether with his advice, but I the general gist of the post is useful.

My sincere THANKS! Let me make a correction, NOT a POW form (haha, Prisoner of War), but a POA form (Power of Attorney) that I was told could be used for a proxy for a seriously disabled person to save them the trip to Immigration. He told I could find it on Google, but I'm having my doubts and haven't tried to find it yet. In any case, a POA I would think would require a notary, but even so only a brief trip if it works. Stand by and I'll let you know. 

2 minutes ago, cusanus said:

My sincere THANKS! Let me make a correction, NOT a POW form (haha, Prisoner of War), but a POA form (Power of Attorney) that I was told could be used for a proxy for a seriously disabled person to save them the trip to Immigration. He told I could find it on Google, but I'm having my doubts and haven't tried to find it yet. In any case, a POA I would think would require a notary, but even so only a brief trip if it works. Stand by and I'll let you know. 

No, a POA for Imm. doesn't require an a notary, just two witnesses, but they will require a medical certificate if the the person is in the hospital or a doctor's letter of inability to travel, plus photos of the person.  Be sure to have official stamps on the medical certificate or doctor's letter.

Another option is to request access to the Priority Lane.  You can pick up a form at Imm. Prom for this.  The applicant does have to show up in person, but they receive expedited service at the 2nd floor office, the same room where TM30s are handled.  You can come around 9 - 9.30 am to do this, after the morning crush is done.  This could work for someone who is in a wheelchair.  Incidentally, wheelchairs are available to borrow from the mall at the entrance for package pick-up below Rim Ping, very close to Imm. Prom.  You simply call the number listed by the locked up wheelchairs and soon a mall security guard will arrive to give you one, in exchange for holding something like your DL as collateral for return of the wheelchair.

This has to do with Chiang Mai Immigration forms or documents required in the case of a bedridden person who is unable to appear at Immigration.

Here are questions about NancyL's helpful post #1760 (just above). These may seem somewhat convoluted, but they reflect what could very well be the case for many bedridden patients in Chiang Mai.  

First, I am aware of a spouse consent form (See attached) for general immigration business that does not require notarization but does require two witnesses.  It is fundamentally the same as a basic limited power of attorney (POA) form except that it contains little personal information other than names and residence address.  An ordinary limited POA would be very similar but also include further identification of the parties, such as Thai ID/passport numbers.  I am not aware of a consent form that CM Immigration might have. How do you obtain this form?  It is not, to my knowledge, on any Immigration forms site.

Second, NancyL writes:

[Immigration] will [also] require a medical certificate if the the person is in the hospitral or a doctor's letter of inability to travel, plus photos of the person.  Be sure to have official stamps on the medical certificate or doctor's letter.

That is to be expected. Some questions remain. First, must the immobile patient be hospitalized, or may the patient be bedridden in his or her home or a care center?  Second, what about the attending physician and hospital?  Must the physician be on the staff of a hospital, and, if so, must it be a government hospital?  Not all licensed (some popular) physicians are on a hospital staff, and some physicians are only on staff of private hospitals (for example, CM Ram or Bangkok hospitals) and not on government (for example, Maharaj or Nakorn Ping) hospital staffs.

Legal Spouse Consent Form - Immigration (Blank).pdf

1 hour ago, Mapguy said:

This has to do with Chiang Mai Immigration forms or documents required in the case of a bedridden person who is unable to appear at Immigration.

Here are questions about NancyL's helpful post #1760 (just above). These may seem somewhat convoluted, but they reflect what could very well be the case for many bedridden patients in Chiang Mai.  

First, I am aware of a spouse consent form (See attached) for general immigration business that does not require notarization but does require two witnesses.  It is fundamentally the same as a basic limited power of attorney (POA) form except that it contains little personal information other than names and residence address.  An ordinary limited POA would be very similar but also include further identification of the parties, such as Thai ID/passport numbers.  I am not aware of a consent form that CM Immigration might have. How do you obtain this form?  It is not, to my knowledge, on any Immigration forms site.

Second, NancyL writes:

[Immigration] will [also] require a medical certificate if the the person is in the hospitral or a doctor's letter of inability to travel, plus photos of the person.  Be sure to have official stamps on the medical certificate or doctor's letter.

That is to be expected. Some questions remain. First, must the immobile patient be hospitalized, or may the patient be bedridden in his or her home or a care center?  Second, what about the attending physician and hospital?  Must the physician be on the staff of a hospital, and, if so, must it be a government hospital?  Not all licensed (some popular) physicians are on a hospital staff, and some physicians are only on staff of private hospitals (for example, CM Ram or Bangkok hospitals) and not on government (for example, Maharaj or Nakorn Ping) hospital staffs.

Legal Spouse Consent Form - Immigration (Blank).pdf

The POA form that is intended for a spouse's use can be produced in the same format using the word "friend", "caregiver" or "brother/daughter, etc" (if that is indeed the relationship) instead of "spouse" or "wife".  No problem.  The person who is representing the applicant must list their complete name as on their passport or Thai ID and bring this identification with them to Immigration.

Right after the coup, Immigration tried to institute a policy that the Medical Certificate or Doctor's Letter had to come from a gov't hospital.  Clearly this isn't realistic.  Now they recognize major hospitals and clinics.  However, in the past they'd had problems with doctors practicing in fly-by-night clinics writing Doctor's Letters for Immigration.  

Immigration does home or hospital visits from time-to-time to check on the veracity of medical extension applications.  For example, McKean/Dok Kaew has some of their residents on continuing medical extensions because they've had to utilize their 800,000 baht retirement visa accounts to pay for medical and care expenses.  Immigration visits McKean/Dok Kaew periodically and wants to see these people and make sure they are on the grounds and not out having lunch or taking in a movie with friends.  Reason being:  "If they are well enough to have a good time with friends, they are well enough to leave Thailand."  Sadly, these are people who came to Thailand to retire and spend the rest of their life and have no place to return; all their friends and relatives are here.  They are now at their very senior twilight years yet Imm. would put them on a plane to leave if not for the advocacy of others.

Incidentally, I'm involved in several cases right now where very frail and elderly people are going to have to leave the country permanently because they are on overstays in excess of a year due to problems related to dementia.  Sadly, these were people who said they weren't "ready" for Dok Kaew and could take care of themselves just fine, thank you.  And nowadays, McKean/Dok Kaew won't accept new residents on overstay, unless there is a plan in place for their return to their home country. 

23 hours ago, briley said:

cusanus:

What time did you turn up this year, 6.30am again or later?

My turn next week for an extension visit!!

6:30, didn't gain much as no more than two more were there by 7:00. 6:00 might have shaved off a half hour, not much to gain there, either. 

14 hours ago, NancyL said:

The POA form that is intended for a spouse's use can be produced in the same format using the word "friend", "caregiver" or "brother/daughter, etc" (if that is indeed the relationship) instead of "spouse" or "wife".  No problem.  The person who is representing the applicant must list their complete name as on their passport or Thai ID and bring this identification with them to Immigration.

Right after the coup, Immigration tried to institute a policy that the Medical Certificate or Doctor's Letter had to come from a gov't hospital.  Clearly this isn't realistic.  Now they recognize major hospitals and clinics.  However, in the past they'd had problems with doctors practicing in fly-by-night clinics writing Doctor's Letters for Immigration.  

Well written, thanks, but not sure I've got it down. So, the disabled person doesn't have to be a spouse, that's the impression I got from the Immigration officer last week. Ok. Also, no need for an MD certification if the person isn't in the hospital but simply quite frail? Right? Seeing a doctor can involve a lengthy ordeal as well if that's the only reason. In this case she could brave the queue and wait at Immigration, but it is a burden. I was told it was easy to Google up the form but alas I haven't tried, so can you post a link or advise on where best to obtain the form? There is no problem with the 800,000 baht issue, but I sense anxiety in older people, even Thai, over possible future medical expenses, but the harsh reality is that Medicare may pay, but there is no support structure in the home country, nobody willing to pick up the slack for paying bills, making repairs, buying groceries, etc. For the time being, my one friend can use a walker and sit comfortably on it while waiting at the queue. Feedback on the expedited option isn't that good, either, it's up the stairs and has its own hassles even if some time is saved. I have to try to find that form...  

Edited by cusanus

16 minutes ago, cusanus said:

Well written, thanks, but not sure I've got it down. So, the disabled person doesn't have to be a spouse, that's the impression I got from the Immigration officer last week. Ok. Also, no need for an MD certification if the person isn't in the hospital but simply quite frail? Right? Seeing a doctor can involve a lengthy ordeal as well if that's the only reason. In this case she could brave the queue and wait at Immigration, but it is a burden. I was told it was easy to Google up the form but alas I haven't tried, so can you post a link or advise on where best to obtain the form? There is no problem with the 800,000 baht issue, but I sense anxiety in older people, even Thai, over possible future medical expenses, but the harsh reality is that Medicare may pay, but there is no support structure in the home country, nobody willing to pick up the slack for paying bills, making repairs, buying groceries, etc. For the time being, my one friend can use a walker and sit comfortably on it while waiting at the queue. Feedback on the expedited option isn't that good, either, it's up the stairs and has its own hassles even if some time is saved. I have to try to find that form...  

I don't wish to add any confusion to the topic but when I was doing my annual extension about 3 weeks ago a farang couple (he in a wheelchair) where serviced via the normal downstairs desk by being simply wheeled in between ticket holders (I have no problem with that) and were dealt with in a fraction of the normal time. Maybe they had already been upstairs to the TM30 room and had come downstairs to complete the extension.

Hi,

Hope to do my extension next week.  As am north of 75 will try the priority lane.  To that end collected the form last week.  Also went up to the TM30 room to enquire where I should go but nobody knew anything.

Anyway here is a fillable Priority lane form

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RjQLlwPd7x1z0Jk71P2PhWHKiW6CcE6X/view?usp=drivesdk

Notice on the first form it stated over 70.  This form does not mention age but leaves the reason open. 

• Thanks 2

If the applicant is going to show up in person and is using the Priority Lane request form, then no need for a Medical Report or Doctor's Letter.  It seems that sometimes the applicant is processed upstairs by the Imm. officer that handles visa agents and sometimes "worked in" between regular customers downstairs.  

The issue of using one's 800,000 baht for medical expenses instead of holding it to justify a retirement visa that I mentioned in a previous post concerns people who have moved onto having back-to-back medical extensions, rather than back-to-back retirement extensions.  This is a different kettle of fish.  Here, the applicant does have to produce a letter from a doctor, but no financial proof is needed, the applicant doesn't have to show up in person and the maximum length of time for a medical extension is 90 days, so you don't want to have to move onto a "permanent" medical extension unless absolutely necessary.  Immigration will ask questions like "when are you returning to your home country?", "when is your family coming to take you home?" and "when are you going to get well enough to travel?"  They may do unannounced home visits to talk with neighbors to make sure you're really home in bed and not out working in the garden or living it up shopping at the mall.

On 12/23/2017 at 9:29 AM, rawhod said:

Is this pure conjecture, or a fully informed statement of fact...

(It's starting to sound like groundhog day all over again. Or, as we say in the UK, "you sound like a broken record")

It's pure conjecture. What actually happened was the staff of the agency formerly known as G4T took exception to the new management and left to form their own agency. Some people like to see conspiracies in everything but in this case, it's just an ill-informed guess.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NancyL said:

If the applicant is going to show up in person and is using the Priority Lane request form, then no need for a Medical Report or Doctor's Letter.  It seems that sometimes the applicant is processed upstairs by the Imm. officer that handles visa agents and sometimes "worked in" between regular customers downstairs.  

The issue of using one's 800,000 baht for medical expenses instead of holding it to justify a retirement visa that I mentioned in a previous post concerns people who have moved onto having back-to-back medical extensions, rather than back-to-back retirement extensions.  This is a different kettle of fish.  Here, the applicant does have to produce a letter from a doctor, but no financial proof is needed, the applicant doesn't have to show up in person and the maximum length of time for a medical extension is 90 days, so you don't want to have to move onto a "permanent" medical extension unless absolutely necessary.  Immigration will ask questions like "when are you returning to your home country?", "when is your family coming to take you home?" and "when are you going to get well enough to travel?"  They may do unannounced home visits to talk with neighbors to make sure you're really home in bed and not out working in the garden or living it up shopping at the mall.

5 hours ago, davehowden said:

I don't wish to add any confusion to the topic but when I was doing my annual extension about 3 weeks ago a farang couple (he in a wheelchair) where serviced via the normal downstairs desk by being simply wheeled in between ticket holders (I have no problem with that) and were dealt with in a fraction of the normal time. Maybe they had already been upstairs to the TM30 room and had come downstairs to complete the extension.

20 hours ago, NancyL said:

Immigration does home or hospital visits from time-to-time to check on the veracity of medical extension applications.  For example, McKean/Dok Kaew has some of their residents on continuing medical extensions because they've had to utilize their 800,000 baht retirement visa accounts to pay for medical and care expenses.  Immigration visits McKean/Dok Kaew periodically and wants to see these people and make sure they are on the grounds and not out having lunch or taking in a movie with friends.  Reason being:  "If they are well enough to have a good time with friends, they are well enough to leave Thailand."  Sadly, these are people who came to Thailand to retire and spend the rest of their life and have no place to return; all their friends and relatives are here.  They are now at their very senior twilight years yet Imm. would put them on a plane to leave if not for the advocacy of others.

Incidentally, I'm involved in several cases right now where very frail and elderly people are going to have to leave the country permanently because they are on overstays in excess of a year due to problems related to dementia.  Sadly, these were people who said they weren't "ready" for Dok Kaew and could take care of themselves just fine, thank you.  And nowadays, McKean/Dok Kaew won't accept new residents on overstay, unless there is a plan in place for their return to their home country. 

Excellent!  Clarification, some history, notes on changing circumstances and very sound advice. Elderly sitting alone in their rooms without an able, knowledgeable and caring local support system should make plans and organize support NOW while still compos mentis. Dementia can sneak up on a person.  Our mileage varies, but eventually we run out of gas. Someone is needed to push.  Lanna Care Net--- http://www.lannacarenet.org --- (not mentioned lately on ThaiVisa CM) is one place for excellent advice thanks to NancyL and others.