Advice on visa for 11 month stay

Would appreciate some advice on which visa would be best; My non-immigrant O visa that I’ve had for several years finishes March 2016, and there’s no possibility of another extension. I turn 50 in Feb 2017 and looking to get a retirement visa when that happens. This leaves me with a 11 month period and I'm not sure of the best option;

- The new 6 month visa is not really suitable if it means a trip back home.

- Reading the forums it seems that only single entry tourist visas are available; would I be able to get 4 of these back to back?

- Education visa might be an option but I don’t really need the classes. Have they tightened up on class attendance?

Thanks,

• Avoid the ED visa unless you plan to attend classes.

SETV's are your only real option until you get to 50. You should be able to get 4 but it might mean applying in two or three different countries.

There is no limit on the total number of SETV's you can have, but embassies/consulates do have their own limits. You should be good for two or three from the same place before needing to apply at another embassy/consulate.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

On what basis have you had a "non-immigrant O visa" for years and why is a further extension not possible ?

Your only real option of remaining in Thailand is to use tourist visas or an Ed visa. If you chose the latter you will be expected to attend classes.

On what basis have you had a "non-immigrant O visa" for years and why is a further extension not possible ?

Your only real option of remaining in Thailand is to use tourist visas or an Ed visa. If you chose the latter you will be expected to attend classes.

I had a work permit and non-imm O when I was working as a volunteer.

Sounds like the best option is back to back SETV, alternating between different consulates.

Yes, that should cover you for the 11 months you need.

For total risk avoidance, have at least 20k cash on you with each tourist entry (SETV or visa-exempt) and documentation to show that for the previous months as a tourist you lived on money brought in from abroad (Thai bank book credit entries and withdrawals or ATM receipts for withdrawals from foreign account)

• Like 1

You won't qualify for the Non O Visa (often wrongly referred to as a Retirement Visa) when you reach 50, unless you are married to a Thai or have Thai family since your Voluntary work has ceased.

You'll have to apply for the Non O-A Visa (often known as the Long Stay Visa) on the basis of being 50.

You can thereafter remain in Thailand on extensions based on retirement provided you meet the financial requirements.

Edited by Faz

You won't qualify for the Non O Visa (often wrongly referred to as a Retirement Visa) when you reach 50, unless you are married to a Thai or have Thai family since your Voluntary work has ceased.

You'll have to apply for the Non O-A Visa (often known as the Long Stay Visa) on the basis of being 50.

You can thereafter remain in Thailand on extensions based on retirement provided you meet the financial requirements.

A single entry non"O" visa based on being over 50 is easily obtained from Penang or Vientiane. Evidence of meeting the financial requirements for an extension is required.

A single entry non"O" visa based on being over 50 is easily obtained from Penang or Vientiane. Evidence of meeting the financial requirements for an extension is required.

Is this what is known as a retirement visa i.e you have show minimum monthly or annual funds, and it's good for 1 year?

Is this what is known as a retirement visa i.e you have show minimum monthly or annual funds, and it's good for 1 year?

The 12 month extension would be. Yes.

800,000 in the bank. OR 65,000 monthly income. OR a combination of the two.

It is a non "O" visa ! Which may be issued to those over 50 who can meet the financial requirements for an " extension of stay based on retirement"(it is not a visa) The visa is a pre requisite of applying for the extension. The visa allows a 90 day entry and during the last 30 days of that entry the extension can be applied for.

A one year O/A visa (long stay) visa can be obtained in ones home country.

There is no "retirement visa"

• Like 1