Holiday reminder to jai yen yen, or: How I got smacked in the back of the head

fishbrando

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who gives a toss?

The Salad?

Ignore all the dipsticks telling you that you are or have a problem or need to go into hiding ,most of them ,if they were in your shoes would have beat the man down despite him being a 6 foot 5 inch Russian UFC Champion.whistling.gif

You sound like a very aggressive and confrontational person.

You will not last long in Thailand.

Maybe the safe thing for you is to get out now.

Before the next one, who may follow up...if this one doesn't do it first.

Life is cheap here and the life of a foreigner is even cheaper,

The police do not care ( he hung himself with his hands tied behind his back. case closed! )

Good luck with that attitude.

Although I agree with your points, the OP appears to understand his own personality flaws and prepared to repent. I applaud him for seeing the light. The type of rage he's talking about has absolutely no benefit in the LOS.

Sure, the smack, deserved or not was shocking - - but thinking quick, you might have resisted pouring oil on the fire.

Though no winners here, he sounds to maybe have been more reasonable than you… by chasing him down, taking his picture, you are escalating the event.

Jai choom choom and a happy peaceful new year… glad you got out with no permanent damage. He has probably forgotten all about it by now.

The police do not care ( he hung himself with his hands tied behind his back. case closed! )

Although I agree with your points, the OP appears to understand his own personality flaws and prepared to repent. I applaud him for seeing the light. The type of rage he's talking about has absolutely no benefit in the LOS.

I dont know too many men who would take a hard slap on the back of the head and do nothing, do you?

Asking this guy to lie down after being attacked is pretty lame in my book, even in thailand where 'life is cheap'.

You wont get far in any country with that attitude, unless your at a monestary.

Edited by fey

I dont know too many men who would take a hard slap on the back of the head and do nothing, do you?

Bumping into people here by accident is fairly common due to conjestion, especially for asians. It's even worse in other asian countries. The person in case in need of anger control is the 'slap per' who should have brushed it off as an accident.

Asking this guy to lie down after being attacked is pretty lame in my book, even in thailand where 'life is cheap'.

Yet he (the OP) chased the guy down and did nothing but allowed himself to be further assaulted.

Bumping into people here by accident is fairly common due to conjestion, especially for asians. It's even worse in other asian countries. The person in case in need of anger control is the 'slap per' who should have brushed it off as an accident.

Yet he (the OP) chased the guy down and did nothing but allowed himself to be further assaulted.

Obviously, the other party felt he was asulted first.

In Thailand, even making direct eye contact can be considered threatening and over aggressive, especially with Thai men.

Pushing and shoving your way down the sidewalk for something as urgent as a salad, is unacceptable here and almost anywhere..

If you want to live, and survive in another culture from your own, it is important to understand and respect that culture.

In Thailand, even making direct eye contact can be considered threatening and over aggressive, especially with Thai men.

Pushing and shoving your way down the sidewalk for something as urgent as a salad, is unacceptable here and almost anywhere..

If you want to live, and survive in another culture from your own, it is important to understand and respect that culture.

I was under the assumption that the other party was a farang guy, backpacker. Perhaps the OP can clarify.

Yes, I know there's a whole lot of tough-talking dudes on TV, ready to take on all comers. Not sure how they would react in the real world, however. The OP had the courage to come on here and say that he backed down and was perhaps, partially to blame for the incident occurring in the first place. I'm probably younger and stronger than most that post here, but I prefer to avoid physical confrontations if at all possible as they rarely end well.

In what culture is it okay to push your way through a crowded shopping mall?

Yes, I know there's a whole lot of tough-talking dudes on TV, ready to take on all comers. Not sure how they would react in the real world, however. The OP had the courage to come on here and say that he backed down and was perhaps, partially to blame for the incident occurring in the first place. I'm probably younger and stronger than most that post here, but I prefer to avoid physical confrontations if at all possible as they rarely end well.

I like how you think, same here probably younger and stronger as most here too.. and I too avoid confrontation. Why.. even if you win you can loose. Just imagine you hit someone and they fall hit their head and you do some serious damage. That is just not worth it (unless you have to defend yourself). Prefer to be perceived as a weak guy then end up in trouble.

it could be. You'd have to ask other people how I come across. I've lived in Thailand for many years, but no one knows how long they have in this life.

As he would like to see you get yours...he may be working on it right now..

Revenge is often served cold and by groups in Thailand.

I would at least leave town for a while.

Maybe the country!

Seems a bit paranoid but as they say, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they AREN'T out to get you.

Who knows, you might be right. I might have crossed the equivalent the Thai Godfather.

Define bullies.

Does pushing and shoving your way down the sidewalk fit that definition?

Aggressively squeezing your way through a crowd = impolite.

According to Dictionary.com a bully is:

1. a blustering, quarrelsome, overbearing person who habitually badgers and intimidates smaller or weaker people.
So I'm an equal opportunity squeezer-by when I'm going through a crowd, whether they be big or small.
OTOH, given the way this guy ran away after he slapped me, I suspect he wouldn't have done the same if I were six-foot-four and full of muscle. Probably would have just given me a Vegemite sandwich.
Hope your 2016 is great!
Edited by fishbrando

Why would someone make a story like this up?

Happy holidays, and yes, those were my thoughts as well. I suppose it might be a good story for a troll to make up, but I'm not a known troll...or am I??

Because it sounds like BS and makes you out as tough guy?

I'm calling BS

How does it make me sound tough? It's not like I gave him a beating using only my right thumb:

Happy 2016!

The OP's aggressive and pushy attitude is a heart attack waiting to happen. Or a well deserved beatdown. All that aggravation for a salad!

Jai yen. Go with the flow. You're not in your home country anymore, but you're new to city life so learn to get along with others.

Agreed, calming down and being more patient is doing wonders for my blood pressure, and no more slaps in the back of the head or worse.

I'm not new to city life though; I'm just used to be a bit more pedestrian discipline. I just have to remember to do as the Romans. Cheers and happy holidays!

Who gives a toss?

The Salad?

Ignore all the dipsticks telling you that you are or have a problem or need to go into hiding ,most of them ,if they were in your shoes would have beat the man down despite him being a 6 foot 5 inch Russian UFC Champion.whistling.gif

I appreciate the support, mate. I can't claim to be an ex-Navy Seal or UKSF. I don't have that very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like my enemies. :-) Have a great holiday and 2016!

1. Why would someone mad enough & bad enough to slap someone hard on the back of the head run away?

2. Why would someone brave enough to chase a big bad-ass down just punk-out and just stand there and let the big bad-ass grab him by the arms?

1. I don't have the answer to this question, as I honestly don't know what I did to the guy. He certainly felt slighted.

2. Have to admit I was seeing red after I got slapped in the head. By the time I reached him, I just wanted to ask him why the hell he slapped me. BTW, I wouldn't call him a bad-ass - he was bigger than me and maybe a bit stronger but he didn't look like The Rock or anything. He definitely had a nice Buddha belly on him.

Cheers and have a great holiday!

It can de dangerous, last year me and sonw friends were messing around in a club in Chanthaburi, and on walking on home a few Thais who had taken exception to us pestering some young ladies in the club attacked us, and I got a fair beating.

That is pretty scary. I'm assuming you're a foreigner; I can see how some local punks might get butt-hurt about foreigners hitting on "their" women. Hope the beating wasn't too bad and glad you lived to tell the tale. Here's to great 2016 for you!

Thanks and I hope I've learned my lesson too. Rage is ultimately going to lead to a group beat-down and they don't stop kicking once you're down from what I've seen. Cheers and have a safe 2016!