traffic changes at the intersection of Huay Kaew Road and Canal Road?

Asiantravel

Has anyone seen the traffic changes at the intersection of Huay Kaew Road and Canal Road? blink.png

They have turned off the traffic lights and blocked off Huay Kaew Road so now traffic travelling towards the university along Huay Kaew Road is being diverted left onto Canal Road and traffic from the University in the direction of Maya shopping centre is also being diverted left.

There is a huge signboard showing the traffic changes but it doesn’t say anything about whether this is a permanent or temporary arrangement?

Of course it is absolute chaos for pedestrians trying to cross the road with an uninterrupted stream of traffic.blink.png I’m sure there will be a few assertive Chinese groups of tourists who will walk over the road unexpectedly so a warning to drivers they had better keep their distance from the car in front of themgiggle.gif

Edited by Asiantravel

just encountered it at lunchtime today - the spots for u-turns on canal road north towards huay tung tao have also been closed off with chains instead of just barriers or bollards, so it looks more permanent than usual. weird one.

There is also a sign up saying no coaches allowed up the road to Wat Doi Suthep.

I was actually at the traffic lights yesterday morning (about 7:30) when they put the barrier across the road.

I ran over the red lights with my bicycle and pushed through the crowd of police all taking selfies of themselves at the time.

Two very cute female police officers there, taking photos of everyone, all happy, smiling and giggling.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Has been like this for the past few NY holiday periods. It does actually seem to smooth the traffic flow. Expect it to be back to normal by around 4th, I'd guess. But definitely avoid that, and all touristy areas, as much as possible for the next few days. Will be chock a block and dangerous.

Coaches not supposed to be allowed anyway, but some drivers don;t seem to be able to read.

Went hiking near doi suthep on wed 30th. Was crazy packed with cars and people...more so than I have ever seen.

Best to avoid for a few days while Thais make merit for the new year.

Edited by Wuvu2