Only themselves to blame

Snackbar

The thing that most of you seem to miss is that thais are completely at the mercy of theist employers..

My gf has a qualified position at a huge company. Ones in a while she and her colleagues get "asked" or more along the lines of told to work 36 hours straight doing inventory. I ask her if they pay for OT she says "I hope so".

Forget about thainess this, service industry that. Its about the people in positions of power having zero regard for human worth.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

36 hours straight you say. Sounds like complete and utter buffalo excrement to me...

A quick call to the Labour Dept will soon put it to an end though.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've rad all of this thread. And the advice offered are all clichés trumped by dullards.

If you read the topic title you may deduce it's mearly an observation. Every thread here is an opinion or observation.

If you own a dictionary may I humbly suggest you look up the word forum. Don't waste your day completely.

Have a good night. That's when the sun sets in the west by the way.

Hahah.

What a load of twaddle.

Sometimes worked 24hrs a day. Complete rubbish. Payed employer to train, babysit. Haaha. Nonsense.

As said, an employer will pay the minimum. It's up to the employee to negotiate. I work for 20k a month as many others do. There are benefits. No immigration. Paid holiday. Free rent. No hassel. It's a deal I'm happy with. But if asked to do extra work from which my employer charges a client I want my cut or I'm not going to do it. Why would I? Goodwill....bollyhocks.

Wow, wish I'd had you as a patient back in my ward days. You'd ring the bell for some pain relief and I'd say "sorry, but my shift is over, you'll have to wait half an hour for the night staff to finish handover,as I don't do unpaid overtime. 55555555555

Yes, the OP is right.

Anyone that is too stupid to go to the labor department and get paid for all the overtime, holiday and severance pay they were cheated out of is getting what they deserve.

It amazes me that there are "men" that would stand by and let their wives be cheated.

Here's an idea, grow a pair and stand up for your woman.

Edited by mogandave

I'm out too.

No more feeding the troll.

Me too .

Its quite clear now why the OP cannot talk about this with his Wife or with his Wifes Company , its quite clear that hes somewhat dim , no wonder his Mrs would rather go to work , rather than stay home with him

If you have something of value any fool can give it away for free.

Somebody offers you nothing for something of value an intelligent person would tell them to get lost.

Where's your self respect man?

The thing that broke the UK was a lack of understanding of basic economics on the part of the ordinary working man.

For 150 years the average business has returned 5.1% a year. The average worker today in the UK earns about 25k and works a 50k machine. The person who owns the machine gets £2,500 a year. So the split is 10/11th to the worker and 1/11th to the employer. You get paid more money when you genuinely have highly valued skills. Geophysicists in the middle of an oil boom earn £150,000, and they don't have a union. If your boss doesn't pay you your economic worth you walk - it happens all the time in accountancy, dentistry and law. In Thailand too many workers lack really valuable marketable skills. All they have to offer is physical effort and diligence. That's why so few businesses start up in the country: the labour costs are low, but productivity is even lower.

So "I'm all right, Jack" British postwar attitudes are exactly what the country doesn't need. It took fifty years for the United Auto Workers bozos to bust the US car industry. There was something for them to bleed and ruin. The same could be said for US and UK steel workers, car workers in the UK and lots of other businesses. If a business invests in hard-to-move plant the first generation of workers can screw the owners for excessive wages. But they poison the business environment so that their kids can't get jobs. That's the irony of the west. Bitter fools took their kids' future and called it social justice.

I don't see the problem, she was asked, she agreed. And she is effectively buying a future favour from her boss, being the "Thai" way". Who knows what her future might hold if she cooperates with her employer and proves her value to him.

As an employee, I always did extra work when asked for no pay. Did that for three employers over 20 years, got serious promotions and pay rises.

Eventually bought out my last employer along with some other workmates that had "can do" attitudes. Grew the company 20 fold and now we all live on the beach in various parts of the world having all retired at 49 or thereabouts.

And now we're in the process of selling the business to the next crew of managers - blokes that we employed over the last 20 years.

And guess what, these guys worked hard, always did more than they were asked, got pay rises and bonuses, didn't whinge or toe the party line when it came to Union involvement.....get the picture? They benefited from their extra labour in more ways than another dollar an hour or an extra day off on your birthday. Now they are all wealthy in their own right and have access to raising some serious debt to buy us out.

Personally I have no time for whinging employees that think they are owed a living from their employer and open their Shop Steward's Handbook the minute you ask them to do one thing outside their defined job.

Unions evolved because of employers taking the piss...

Employers take the piss, but so do employees... Unions empower lazy employees to be lazy, money empowers the employers to push the limits.

In the spectrum ranging from Employers taking the piss to Employees taking the piss there is a healthy middle ground of Employers expecting hard work and Employees without a sense of entitlement giving their best.

Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world and as mentioned - people on both sides take the piss.

----------

Recently I had a guy pull the HSE card on me after I indicated that due to operations his work load over the next 24 hrs may increase.... I'm waiting for him to screw up !

Somebody offers you nothing for something of value an intelligent person would tell them to get lost.

The thing that broke the UK was a lack of understanding of basic economics on the part of the ordinary working man.

For 150 years the average business has returned 5.1% a year. The average worker today in the UK earns about 25k and works a 50k machine. The person who owns the machine gets £2,500 a year. So the split is 10/11th to the worker and 1/11th to the employer. You get paid more money when you genuinely have highly valued skills. Geophysicists in the middle of an oil boom earn £150,000, and they don't have a union. If your boss doesn't pay you your economic worth you walk - it happens all the time in accountancy, dentistry and law. In Thailand too many workers lack really valuable marketable skills. All they have to offer is physical effort and diligence. That's why so few businesses start up in the country: the labour costs are low, but productivity is even lower.

So "I'm all right, Jack" British postwar attitudes are exactly what the country doesn't need. It took fifty years for the United Auto Workers bozos to bust the US car industry. There was something for them to bleed and ruin. The same could be said for US and UK steel workers, car workers in the UK and lots of other businesses. If a business invests in hard-to-move plant the first generation of workers can screw the owners for excessive wages. But they poison the business environment so that their kids can't get jobs. That's the irony of the west. Bitter fools took their kids' future and called it social justice.

No doubt the owners of factories in the west are relishing being able to replace their grasping employees with robots, and that is going to happen relatively quickly from now on. There is little that the robot generation under development can't do. Already we have human devoid petrol stations, car parks and supermarket check outs.

Seems to me that workers will be begging to do unpaid overtime in fear of being replaced by a machine in the not so far off future.

The Thai workers that are regarded with such disdain by some on here will be safe however, as they are cheaper than machines and don't quibble about changing days off to suit the business.

No doubt the owners of factories in the west are relishing being able to replace their grasping employees with robots, and that is going to happen relatively quickly from now on. There is little that the robot generation under development can't do. Already we have human devoid petrol stations, car parks and supermarket check outs.

Seems to me that workers will be begging to do unpaid overtime in fear of being replaced by a machine in the not so far off future.

The Thai workers that are regarded with such disdain by some on here will be safe however, as they are cheaper than machines and don't quibble about changing days off to suit the business.

We don't have 'human devoid" petrol stations and grocery stores, we have self service.

Robots really aren't all that.

We don't have 'human devoid" petrol stations and grocery stores, we have self service.

Robots really aren't all that.

They seem to do ok on here

Had to break down some part costings today to work out the labour rate for machine operating.

The labour content works out to be 6 satang a minute per employee per machine.

Edited by Don Mega

Had to break down some part costings today to work out the labour rate for machine operating.

So less than a dollar a day?

Ahhh my bad. spose to be 60 satang.

Cannot edit my post.

My wife used to work in one of those huge factories soldering electrical parts. After she quit one job I suggested she might go back to work in one of the many large factories where we live, but she went sort of pale and looked like she was going to faint ( that's an exaggeration, but you get the idea ). I understand she'd rather plant rice than ever work in one of those places again.

Cannot edit my post.

Unless I'm missing something, even at 60 it's still way less than minimum wage.

My wife used to work in one of those huge factories soldering electrical parts. After she quit one job I suggested she might go back to work in one of the many large factories where we live, but she went sort of pale and looked like she was going to faint ( that's an exaggeration, but you get the idea ). I understand she'd rather plant rice than ever work in one of those places again.

My wife goes pale and looks like she's going to faint when I suggest she do the dishes...

Cannot edit my post.

Why so surprised? If you work in Thailand as you claim, you would know that the minimum wage is a myth for many Thais.

Cannot edit my post.

Why so surprised? If you work in Thailand as you claim, you would know that the minimum wage is a myth for many Thais.

I did not say I was surprised. Nothing anyone says surprises me. I would have to understand and or believe believe something to be surprised by it.

While there are people that work for less (your poor wife for example) people working in large factories generally do not.

Cannot edit my post.

I did not say I was surprised. Nothing anyone says surprises me. I would have to understand and or believe believe something to be surprised by it.

While there are people that work for less (your poor wife for example) people working in large factories generally do not.

????????????

Where have I ever said my wife worked for less than minimum wage? She got more than that, but she didn't get paid more to work overtime- only same rate as normal, only got 7 days holiday a year and got asked to change days off to suit work, which she did. Pretty normal.

Before you imply it, she doesn't plant rice either.

I agree with helping out the boss, provided she was ASKED, not TOLD. Additionally, the employee shouldn't be expected to change plans, or compromise her lifestyle, just to help out at work.

The problem with that, from an employee's point of view, is that it can become permissive. The more employees who cave in, without asking for, or being offered, any inducement, the more the boss feels he has a right to continue the practice.

Bosses know when the busy times are, and with a bit of forward planning, should be able to work around those times.

Having said all that, being an employee involves give and take, and if the business thrives, benefits like job continuity, flow to the employees.

Cannot edit my post.

A work day here is 540 minutes.

Cannot edit my post.

It is often claimed that mechanization replaces labor

There was labor used when making the machine for which you paid when you purchased the machine,

and this must be considered in any calculus concerning labor costs

Cannot edit my post.

A work day here is 540 minutes.

It is my understanding that there are only 460 straight-time minutes in a work day in Thailand.

How do you get 540?

Cannot edit my post.

There was labor used when making the machine for which you paid when you purchased the machine,

So when a machine makes the machine, do you have to take into account the labour used to make the machine to make the machine?

Cannot edit my post.

So when a machine makes the machine, do you have to take into account the labour used to make the machine to make the machine?

To accurately cost something, yes.