Oh MY GOD. Watch this and cry.

Bulldozer Dawn

The blonde-haired lady in the video, is 75 year-young, Ms. Carole King, the lyricist and composer of the song. A native New Yorker, and cutting her eye-teeth as a songwriter, beginning in 1959, Ms. King is among the most famous of American songwriters. Both Carole & Aretha are mentality exemplary of the American women, whom I have come to love so dearly, throughout my lifetime.

Thanks for sharing wai.gif

If this doesn't make you shed a tear; you are already dead.

I must be dead then, because however it's a great song and it's my favorite style of music, I don't see why I should cry because an almost 50 year old song is performed once again.

If so I should have to cry almost every day, because it happens to be on the CD, among some 200 other songs from the same music genre, that sits in my car stereo for the past 5 years.

I'm crying over that disgusting fur coat.

You know for a fact that it's real fur? Funny, most people would be too engrossed in the music. More talent in their little fingers than you'll ever have.

Actually, yes I do know that the coat is real mink from Marc Kaufman Furs in New York. Do you really think that Aretha Franklin would appear at The Kennedy Center Honors in a floor length fake fur?

And don't think most people were so engrossed in the song, that they didn't notice the coat. Read the media reviews. The coat was as much a part of the production as the music was. Why do you think it's called "show business"?

However, I will concede that Aretha and Carole King have more talent than moi.

You know for a fact that it's real fur? Funny, most people would be too engrossed in the music. More talent in their little fingers than you'll ever have.

Actually, yes I do know that the coat is real mink from Marc Kaufman Furs in New York. Do you really think that Aretha Franklin would appear at The Kennedy Center Honors in a floor length fake fur?

And don't think most people were so engrossed in the song, that they didn't notice the coat. Read the media reviews.

However, I will concede that she and Carole King have more talent than moi.

Auld Lang Syne! That's the spirit, curtklay. On second thought, I was so caught-up with seeing Carole King looking so good @ 75, the fur coat totally escaped my notice. If what you say is true, then guaranteed there were more than a few raised eyebrows in the audience, regarding that point of view. Even if the fur were fake, it was, indeed, a bit gaudy, and fashionably inappropriate stage apparel. Happy New Year, and many happy returns. Now, back to the topic. Thanks again to the OP, for sharing wai.gif

And don't think most people were so engrossed in the song, that they didn't notice the coat. Read the media reviews. The coat was as much a part of the production as the music was. Why do you think it's called "show business"?

However, I will concede that Aretha and Carole King have more talent than moi.

There is no doubt that the fur industry has got a bad rep, whether rightly or wrongly, but tell me you don't eat eggs, meat of any description or wear leather in any form before I take your "disgusting" remark seriously.

Don't know why that should be, after all we raise cows to kill them and eat them and use the skin for leather, we do the same with chickens and use their feathers for pillows etc, pigs and other livestock for food and skins, so what's wrong with raising minks for their fur?

Don't know that I have ever eaten a mink though!!!!!

Don't know why that should be, after all we raise cows to kill them and eat them and use the skin for leather, we do the same with chickens and use their feathers for pillows etc, pigs and other livestock for food and skins, so what's wrong with raising minks for their fur?

Don't know that I have ever eaten a mink though!!!!!

Mmmm, mink.

A poor black girl made good buys herself a (farmed) fur coat as a treat in her twilight years.

What is so wrong with that?

There's nothing wrong with that...except it's probably a fairy tale.

I'd be willing to bet the coat was loaned to the TV Production Company by the furrier in exchange for a credit at the end of the show, and possibly some PR at The Kennedy Center. It's a common practice with all those diamonds the stars wear at awards shows. The retailers are more than happy to loan out jewelry in exchange for free advertising that would cost a fortune. You will notice she removes the coat and drops it on the floor toward the end of the song. All choreographed for a dramatic effect. She wasn't wearing it because she was cold, and she didn't bring her own clothes from home.

It ain't no big deal...just a little crass. But it fit in with all the other glitz and glamour of this type of production. The performance was lovely, and complimented by Carole King pretending she didn't know Aretha was going to sing it. Sorry to burst any bubbles, but as the composer, King would have to grant permission to do the song in advance on TV. A good show, non the less.

I speak from experience in the industry when I tell you that everything is planned out for such a huge production. The main goal is to keep you watching. Nothing is left to chance.

A poor black girl made good buys herself a (farmed) fur coat as a treat in her twilight years.

There's nothing wrong with that...except it's probably a fairy tale.

I'd be willing to bet the coat was loaned to the TV Production Company by the furrier in exchange for a credit at the end of the show, and possibly some PR at The Kennedy Center. It's a common practice with all those diamonds the stars wear at awards shows. The retailers are more than happy to loan out jewelry in exchange for free advertising that would cost a fortune. You will notice she removes the coat and drops it on the floor toward the end of the song. All choreographed for the show. She wasn't wearing it because she was cold, and she didn't bring her own clothes from home.

It ain't no big deal...just a little crass. But it fit in with all the other glitz and glamour of this type of production. The performance was lovely, and complimented by Carole King pretending she didn't know Aretha was going to sing it. Sorry to burst any bubbles, but King would have to grant permission to do the song in advance on TV. A good show, non the less.

I speak from experience in the industry when I tell you that everything is planned out for such a huge production. The main goal is to keep you watching. Nothing is left to chance.

Maybe it was loaned, but I don't think Aretha would be struggling to buy her own, she's probably got a closet full of them. I agree with you that the surprise on Carole King's face was as phony as a 90 baht note.

Contrary to whatever you have been led (via media hype) to believe, Aretha Franklin did not grow up, in Detroit, Michigan, as some poor girl. Sorry if I've bursted your belief bubble on that one wai.gif

Archived