Bangkok Airways, Strange Event.

PostmanPat

Just got back from Bangkok, had New Year period there. After a forty minute wait in the queue to check in, when we get to the desk check in clerk says sorry, no seat for you on this plane, we changed the plane from a bigger to a smaller one, we ll re book you on the next flight in four hours.....all this despite us having booked the flight at least four months ago!

I put on my best "indignant but not angry" routine making it clear there was no way we were waiting four hours for the next flight, at which point they decided to book us with Thai Airways, only one hour later than our scheduled flight, and gave us 2000 baht each compensation !!

We came out of it OK, but only because I insisted...I suspect had I not been there and it had been my Thai partner, she would probably have just accepted the situation, in that usual Thai way of not making a fuss.

What a weird way to run a business, I ve never had any kind of problem before with Bangkok Airways, in fact they are my company of choice over Thai anyday, but if this kind of thing repeats itself, because I cant believe we were the only ones affected, they ll end up losing money! A friend told me this afternoon that his wife was also similarly inconvenienced a week ago, and that the reason given ( not given to me despite asking) was that Bangkok Airways are now opening up some new International routes, and require their bigger planes for those flights leaving only smaller planes available for domestic routes!!

Decidedly odd!!!

what are you complaining about ? ok ... so you were one hour late , but you were given 2,000 baht each as compensation.

If it was anywhere else you may have got nothing and been shown the door ....

I'd be thankful for what you got. blink.png

Edited by steven100

All airlines overbook to some degree. In this case the number of no shows didn't work out, but considering the dates not surprised but would think they would take that into account by reducing the overbook quotas. smile.png

what are you complaining about ? ok ... so you were one hour late , but you were given 2,000 baht each as compensation.

Dont agree.. Airlines overbook.. They know they need to pay compo when they fail to accomodate everyone..

Pretty routine to get something..

If what the staff told you is true you experienced a "Downguage", not overbooking. It is not a strange event but for whatever operational reason they subbed a smaller aircraft for a bigger one. Those who bought the cheapest seat or booked last get bumped. Business class, Whatever high level mileage card members and elites get priority. Check the small print but you will find your experience was in accordance with the UN associated ICAO convention originally signed in Dec. 10 1929 in Warsaw. Cheers!

Why do you jump to the conclusion that I am "complaining" Steven? In fact I am not "complaining" I am drawing a rather curious set of events to the attention of the Chiang Mai forum, as I was travelling on a Chiang Mai bound flight and other people may have been affected or may be affected in the future.

OK?

All airlines overbook to some degree. In this case the number of no shows didn't work out, but considering the dates not surprised but would think they would take that into account by reducing the overbook quotas. smile.png

Correct.

BKK Air operate both A320 and the slightly smaller A319, so it could have been they changed the 320 to the 319 as they needed the bigger plane for Samui, for example. That is a normal operational occurence, particularly during peak season.

From what the OP reported, BKK Air handled the case very well. I doubt any other Airline based in Thailand would have done it any better.

And indeed ALL Airlines do overbook, US and European Airlines are particularly guilty of such behavior. Frequent-flyer Forums even sometimes discuss which flights on which days to book to be an "overbooking victim" and cash in a hefty compensation.

I was once booked on a LH flight FRA-BKK, and while the PAX were already waiting at the boarding lounge, the announced that the flight is overbooked and they need a few PAX surrendering their seats. I agreed as I had no duty the next day in BKK, got a room for the night and a lovely dinner-buffet and a 600€ compensation in cash right away. was booked on a TG flight just 17 hrs later.

A few days ago, I was on a LHR-BKK flight on a Malaysian A380. I was flying Y-class but I am a status member and can board early, so I had a few minutes time to chit-chat with some cabin-crew. They told me the flight is actually overbooked in all three classes. Not sure if any PAX were left behind, but it shows it is a common (albeit unfortunate) occurence.

2K Baht for 1 hr delay on a domestic flight seems perfectly acceptable to me

These things can also work to ones advantage. My first Expat posting was Japan 1991-1993 I went "home" to San Jose for Xmas on

American Airlines when they were operating the MD-11, traveling alone on the cheapest ticket I could get

Can't remember if I was going or coming but they were overbooked in economy and asked me if I would "mind sitting in Business class".

Score!

When I got shifted to the smaller plane it certainly wasn't due to overbooking. The smaller plane wasn't even close to full. I think that's why the change. They didn't want to use a big

jet to carry a small number of passengers.

I don't see how advance check-in would have changed anything. It was a last minute change. And it was really no bother.

I would have A big attitude.I mean you booked 4 months in advance.They should bump people that booked 2-7 days in advance not the other way around.They bumped you just the opposite the way they should.They still maid money off of you even giving you A

Refund.I'm not thrilled with that airline.

Could it have been that the aircraft originally earmarked for the flight had a technical fault which was not discovered until the flight crew went through their checks? The first available aircraft was slightly smaller. I think thta the airline behaved well and even gave you compensation. I cannot imagine Thai Airways in the same circumstances doing any more than closing the check in and walking away.

Bangkok air cancelled two flights december 31. My daughter and her friend had booked the last flight of the evening 21.40 to connect with an Emirates flight from bangkok. Booked via Emirates.

As usual I checked if there where delays on the internet and couldn't find the flight number for that day. Called Emirates and they told us that the flight was cancelled. Also the 19.10 flight was cancelled and my daughter was rebooked for the 17.15 flight.

We asked for a later flight on another airline but there was no later flight to Suvannabumi only to Don Muang, Lion Air.

Luckily I checked early otherwise they had missed the flight, no call or email from either Bangkok air or Emirates.

Before leaving I checked again and found out that the flight was delayed for one and a half hour.

The plane was changed from the smaller A319 to A320. So they combined passengers from 3 flights.

After complaining they got both a mealvoucher for 250THB each.

I like to fly Bangkok Air but I also had a flight change two years ago. A connecting flight from Bangkok to Chiang Mai arriving from Amsterdam. They then also cancelled the connecting flight and phoned me to inform. That time I should have to wait 5 hours in Bangkok so I asked for another flight so they booked me on an earlier flight with smile airways.

A lesson learned, don't fly December 31.

So it appears from a couple of responses and feedback from a friend of mine that at least three other TV users have been affected by changes or cancellations these past few days. The situation faced by koosdeboer, previous post, is terrible, because we all rely on linking timewise from CNX to catch the International Flights from BKK, and cancellations especially without notice can result in missed International Flights....in comparison, my situation yesterday was merely a minor irritation.

As a number have said, Bangkok are a lot of peoples preferred user over Thai these days, but now I m thinking about reviewing that situation back in favour of Thai, even though that would lose the use of the rather pleasant free lounges provided by Bangkok Air. I travel Internationally fairly often, and put simply, cant afford to lose the International Flights because many of the International airlines only tend to fly once a day. My next International flight in a few months is with Kenya Airways, and fortunately perhaps the link flight from CNX is with Thai on this occasion!!

I would rather fly from Suratthani than pay that bunch of robbing sods ! They hold the islanders to ransom by there outrageous charges. I applaud you for keeping calm and getting some form of refund . I stopped using them not only because of there expensive fairs but they have twice confiscated my duty free goods because they were in my hand baggage !

Why do you jump to the conclusion that I am "complaining" Steven? In fact I am not "complaining" I am drawing a rather curious set of events to the attention of the Chiang Mai forum, as I was travelling on a Chiang Mai bound flight and other people may have been affected or may be affected in the future.

OK?

Jai yen.

He wern't doggone complanin'. Just a dang "strange event". smile.png

Others will be all the wiser from it. .

Edited by Jing Joe

Flight cancellations, delays, change of aircraft at short notice, technical faults etc happen to all airlines not just Bangkok Airways. Its just bad luck. It can happen just as easily to TG flights.

You can get some great airfares on Bangkok Airways as long as you are not flying to Koh Samui. Free lounge, 30kg bag allowance if you are a freq flyer member and sometimes cheaper than Nok and Air Asia. At least the people of Koh Samui have the choice of flying from the island now. They had no choice but to use Surathani or take the train until Bangkok Airways spent a tonne of cash and effort building the airport.

Airlines must fly loaded to be profitable as margins are low. If booking numbers decline, Bangkok Airways flies a smaller plane to reduce losses. Every company must operate profitable. Bangkok Airways is still a private company. Don't forget that and they have lower operating budgets than giant government airlines. That they get you on a Thai Airways competitor plane 1 hour later plus a 2,000 baht compensation is something that probably no airline will do.

See it as your earning for one hour which is not bad comparing to Thai teachers who might make 300 baht an hour.

I was flying LHR-CMB-BKK. When I arrived in Colombo, my flight was nowhere to be seen on the boards.

The ground staff denied my flight had ever existed despite the fact I had a ticket! I received a hotel room and flew the following day. I later discovered the President of Sri Lanka was on board and the plane was rerouted.

As the Thai's will say, you think too much. Happy new year Pat and may this year be without further flight delays, bumping off flights or 350 lb people sitting next to you. May you be upgraded on every flight and may you never have turbulence on a flight. But above all never think too much as this distract us from experiencing life.