A week in Koh Samui vs Koh Chang or maybe even Krabi?

Scouse123

Guys,

I have two older males ( mid sixties) coming early May for 17 days. So, they are here low season.

They are businessmen and not showy type of guys.One has been many times but never to the islands only the usual which bores him, Pattaya and Bangkok and last two occasions enjoyed Isaarn and Laos as well as side trips to Vietnam and Cambodia.

He expressed a wish to see the islands and I am stuck really as apart from Phuket, Samed, and Samui 15 years ago, I haven't been to them.

I was in Phuket six/seven monrths ago on business and did not like it. My gripes were inflated prices in the bars, trying to get more out of less punters which is usual, taxis were silly quoted prices, and even the food places we visited were well high, maybe, it was just me who didn't know where to look. I stayed in Kata. It was exciting at all and nor was the nightlife but it was a nice beach!!

These go mid range hotels and that does not concern me as both islands have these facilities.

They are not too much into bar scene but will pop in once or twice for the experience. Both are active and young for their age.

They are looking at spending about a week on either, but not both, of the islands with a visit to Siem Reap as well and a couple of days in Isaarn.

I suppose the question is what to do on the islands regards touring and sightseeing. One is also a non swimmer! so would not be interested in snorkelling or diving. Both like sightseeing.

I did enjoy Samui but have been told it is now a concrete jungle and Koh Chang is unspoiled. I cannot comment due to lack of knowledge. Krabi has even been suggested?? The only thing I have heard about Krabi is that it is a popular place with Scandanavians.

Also, getting to Samui is Bangkok airways as they won't want all the messing about that is part and parcel of the Air Asia fly n ferry experience. They may as well pay the extra 3/4,000 baht and fly straight into the island. Koh Chang on the other hand would be a private car from Bangkok I would think???

Anybody got any ideas or views please?

Edited by Scouse123

Koh Chang is far from unspoiled. Massive development over the past 10 years. Not necessarily for the better. Same with pretty much all the other places you mention.

If you like to sit on the beach and read, then a week is fine. Otherwise, it might get boring. Phuket, being the biggest, will offer the most. Plenty of places to go other than Patong. Great for diving, exploring, etc. And Patong has the bars if they are interested, as does Kata/Karon/etc.

Samui is a smaller island. Still a fair amount to do, but the beach is the main attraction. Less to do on Koh Chang. Krabi has some interesting things to see. All of these places offer diving/snorkeling/etc.

A great description of the various islands:

http://tezzasthaiinfo.blogspot.com/

Koh Samui is like a small Phuket but easier to get around. I would advise Koh Mak or Koh Lanta for an island experience. Maybe Koh Samed if travel time is an issue. Krabi seems to have a nice beach but I haven't been there yet.

Other places I have been

North side of Koh Phiphi. Only 2 resorts there because almost no beach. Attraction is the walk to the other side of the island. Good place for jungle hiking.

North side of koh Phangan. Small beach and hiking possiblities.

South of Koh Chang. Nice quiet beach.

Koh Samed. Nice beach experience.

My advice is to stay well away from Phuket. I have been to Krabi a few times and it has many things to see, including some very good temples. The best is the tiger temple which has a fantastic staircase to almost heven and great veiws but it is a hard climb so take your time if you decide to attempt it. The emerald pools or hot springs is also great for a day. A fantastic day trip is to the inland dam which has all the limestone islands like offshore but its all within a river/dam system and spectacular. A boat trip will cost you a few hundred THB each and well worth the money. It is kept very clean and has park like garders. It also has floating accommodation but it is basic. You feel like you are the only ones there and even in peak season it is still low on numbers because it is not that widely known or promoted except for fresh water diving. Krabi is also near to phi phi if you decide to do a day trip there but having just returned last week, its not for me now as its beauty has fast disappeared. All day our group felt like hearded sheep. 20mins here then lets go, 30mins herethen lets go. Also you are at the mercy of the gods if you get a good boat driver. We had the boat ride from hell and having experienced it not first hand, I understand why there are so many boating accidents. He could not drive his finger up his arse. Sorry you probably didnt want to hear about that. Sorry the name of the dam illudes me now but if you google fresh water diving krabi or surat thani it will come up. It is also a hydro power station and you get to see much of it too.

Same dilemmas/contradictions as I hear often - don't want too touristy but want things to do… there may be other compromises that are not islands - go south of Hua Hin to Pranburi and Prachuap…

otherwise the old Yogi Berra saying comes to mind - "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

Have fun wherever you end up - they will probably just be happy to be on vacation in Thailand...

My advice is to stay well away from Phuket. I have been to Krabi a few times and it has many things to see, including some very good temples. The best is the tiger temple which has a fantastic staircase to almost heven and great veiws but it is a hard climb so take your time if you decide to attempt it. The emerald pools or hot springs is also great for a day. A fantastic day trip is to the inland dam which has all the limestone islands like offshore but its all within a river/dam system and spectacular. A boat trip will cost you a few hundred THB each and well worth the money. It is kept very clean and has park like garders. It also has floating accommodation but it is basic. You feel like you are the only ones there and even in peak season it is still low on numbers because it is not that widely known or promoted except for fresh water diving. Krabi is also near to phi phi if you decide to do a day trip there but having just returned last week, its not for me now as its beauty has fast disappeared. All day our group felt like hearded sheep. 20mins here then lets go, 30mins herethen lets go. Also you are at the mercy of the gods if you get a good boat driver. We had the boat ride from hell and having experienced it not first hand, I understand why there are so many boating accidents. He could not drive his finger up his arse. Sorry you probably didnt want to hear about that. Sorry the name of the dam illudes me now but if you google fresh water diving krabi or surat thani it will come up. It is also a hydro power station and you get to see much of it too.

Great post! I've not heard of that tiger temple. Do you have any links? That dam is fantastic. Do the tour setup near the HQ of the park as they'll take you to some great spots that are impossible to get to on your own. Sleeping out on the lake is fantastic!

It must be Cheow Larn Lake in Khao Sok national park in Surat Thani, some way from Krabi

By the sounds of your post I think Krabi would be the best option.. Au Nang Beach has lots of beach side accommodation.. you have access to boat trips around the islands.. boat trip to Kho Lanta an option... I'm not big on Kho Phi Phi.. overcrowded, polluted.. but a tour around Phan Na Bay is good.. also Railay Beach is beautiful.. good small laid back bars & food everywhere..

https://www.google.com/search?q=Railay+Beach+Thailand&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=675&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjtldjf55HKAhUEFQ8KHQ-HCuwQsAQIKQ

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g297927-Krabi_Town_Krabi_Province-Vacations.html

Have fun!

Agree with 1st poster.Koh Changs unspoilt feel was lost many yrs ago.I havent been to Krabi for many yrs but its still a good base for day trips.Samui in low season would be ok.But if they arnt into water type activities they will be limited on day trips.Give Krabi a go

Cannot comment on Koh Chang, but I live on Samui for more than a decade, and been to Phuket numerous times.

Compared to Samui 15-years ago, you may feel it’s a concrete jungle, if you expect the same “past experience”, but so will most places in Thailand probably be after 15 years progress – just think of Pattaya from mid 80’ies and 15 years ahead – and the traffic on the Ring Road had increased dramatically...

There are less beer bars with ladies on Samui now, and Chaweng is populated by numerous young folk coming for parties, among other things, but very upgrade from the old-time backpacker style; now it’s trendy cafés and better-end restaurants and classy shopping malls, so also worth a visit for “grown ups”. If you are to more “traditional” Thai holiday destinations, then Lamai or Bang Rak comes closer; but there are plenty of nice beach areas without noisy bars and still just 15 minutes drive away from the nightlife.

There are numerous unspoiled beaches and nature, both at Samui and her sisters (the other about 80 islands in the marine park), and even if you are not snorkeling a day trip to either Koh Nangyouan or island hopping in the marine park may be an experience. Furthermore the middle of Samui has fine unspoiled nature with good jungle-path to non-crowded waterfalls. There are also some nice temples and a pair of big Buddha to see.

Restaurants can be found in all price levels from very affordable local Thai kitchen to some extremely hi-end gourmet places, and almost everything in between. Accommodation little more expensive than other places, however May is low-season at Samui, where you can find nice beachfront bungalows at a quiet beach from less than 2,000 baht a night.

You said beer bars are not a main target, but should you visit one or some, you may find it little more up-priced than many other places – in general islands are more up-priced than mainland due to infrastructure – and also taxi’s charge more (when driving on meter, start and extra surcharge totaling 100 baht), some time you need to agree on price and often spent 500 baht for a trip.

Bangkok Air has both limousines (private car) and an affordable minibus service available in airport to almost all hotels – taxi’s not allowed inside airport area – but many resorts offers or include airport transfer, so check if you book in advance.

Wish you and your “active young” friends a good island-holiday.

smile.png

Edited by khunPer

It must be Cheow Larn Lake in Khao Sok national park in Surat Thani, some way from Krabi

The name of the waterway is Ratchapradha dam and doing a simple google search freshwater diving, surat thani will bring it up so you can look at many photos. It is a bit of a drive from krabi but well worth it and an overnight stay highly recommended. The tiger temple also has many caves and buildings to look at on ground zero if you dont wont to climb the 1200 plus steps. Take a bottle of water with you and mid week is better. Lots of info and feedback on tripadviser about this temple.

If your friends are looking to see the islands then Krabi is a good base on the west side and perhaps Samui on the other side where they could also go to Phangan. A really nice island, and I don't mean for the parties. Its still quite unspoiled in many areas away from the Haad Rin full moon party areas.

Its only a short boat trip from Samui.

Lamai in samui every day of the week.

Krabi is expensive, no decent bars and a Muslim area.

I'm no expert here, but when we talk about Krabi, seems we're talking about a big area. Krabi is a big province and is a city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krabi_Province

Koh Phi Phi is part of Krabi province. Ao Nang is a beach city and has an OK beach. With OK hotels. There are some good places north of that, but you need your own wheels to really explore that area. Railay is a beach you can get to by boat from Ao Nang. It's pretty nice, but almost disappears at high tide. Only a few hotels are really beachfront. Many are set back a bit. The other side is a mangrove swamp. Tonsai beach is very popular with backpackers. And nearby is some great rock climbing, if you are into that.

We've stayed in many places all over Krabi province. But had our own car. We enjoyed it a lot. Loved the muslim food. But I wouldn't say the best entertainment is there, nor the best beaches. Phi Phi aside, which is another discussion. For better or worse.

Koh Lanta is a bit south and a nice island.

Koh Chang is still very beautiful but as mentioned not much to do apart laying on the beach.

2-3 days and you seen it all.

That what we do when going there, 2-3 days and we drive home to Pattaya again before boredom sets in.

It's a while back since we were on Samui, 8-10 years? and we felt it was spoiled then as Phuket also been since many year ago.

Transport Service Around koh samui,Airport pick up or drop off. Reliable and reasonable price. May you have any questions regarding for the taxi feel free to contact me any time by this email [email protected] or https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiIioGCmJjKAhUPj44KHX4iBwwQFggbMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.samuieasytransfers.com%2F&usg=AFQjCNFGMTzOGbaQ9HIPpyKbjmChvVFKkw&sig2=7YSs6wQrTyPdMFnC3m61lQ

• 3 weeks later...

I actually enjoyed Samui. I think it has a good range of resorts to suit most people's needs. So for a touristy island I think it is the best of the bunch this respect. I did not like Lamai,found it seedy and and tacky. I liked Chaweng,and think this would suit your friends. Ko Lanta is good but maybe a bit too laid back. I did not like Krabi and Ao Nang too much. It is really difficult as so much depends on the experience and what unfolds on holiday with can never be predicted. Others on the forum will no doubt argue for their favourites also. If I was a travel agent and based on your friends needs I would say Ko Samui.