Prayut prefers to seize licences from drunk drivers

webfact

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my years in Thailand I've been involved in 3 minor fender benders with motorcycles. Every time it was the other guy at fault ( rammed from behind at traffic lights etc) and every time I was the only bloke with a license and insurance.

IMHO if you haven't got a license or insurance have your vehicle impounded and have it released by producing a valid license and insurance cert.and paying THB 20,000 baht. Have the vehicle destroyed after 3 months if you can't produce them.Can't produce them? Then it's a big fat TS, consider that a lesson learned and buy a pair of stout walking flip flops.

Changing the national 'character' is probably the only way to reverse the current trend of people dying in huge numbers on the roads.

Let's face it, with 'Thainess' they are up against it. Last night, after dark, I saw a young female student driving her motorbike at about

60 through town. She had no lights, and the street was not well lit, and she was looking down at the smart phone on her knees, it's

bright screen glaring back into her face as she texted away. Where else in the world can one routinely observe scenes such as this?

In my years in Thailand I've been involved in 3 minor fender benders with motorcycles. Every time it was the other guy at fault ( rammed from behind at traffic lights etc) and every time I was the only bloke with a license and insurance.

IMHO if you haven't got a license or insurance have your vehicle impounded and have it released by producing a valid license and insurance cert.and paying THB 20,000 baht. Have the vehicle destroyed after 3 months if you can't produce them.Can't produce them? Then it's a big fat TS, consider that a lesson learned and buy a pair of stout walking flip flops.

I agree, except I would sell the cars after 3 months.

If you get caught drink driving it should be a night in the drunk tank, a fine of say 5k and the car/bike impounded until the release fee of 20k is paid.

Pretty sure if this is done consistently and across the board the incidence of drink driving will be reduced massively.

The biggest issue I have with the RTP and traffic enforcement is the lack of interest unless that is what they are doing at the time. Everyday you see police doing nothing as someone breaks the law purely because it is not their job at the time. At Jomtien beach road markets there is one or 2 policemen "controlling traffic"(Ignore them, they will tell you to go no matter what traffic is coming your way) ignoring every single person that rides in or out without a helmet.

Maybe if they enforced laws when not set up too at roadblocks they would have more success.

Put the vehicle in a car cruiser.wink.png

Better yet! Transform the seized cars into police cruisers and start chasing after other drivers who routinely break and violate all the other traffic laws. A small motorbike will never outrun a car and police never stop vehicles on the side of the road to issues tickets for infractions.

There are several large cc bikes already in police possession that would catch almost any car on the road....

I saw a cop on a big BMW k1600 last week and some divisions have new yamaha 1200's and other engine large bikes, I think catching motorists just isn't a priority here....

One data point.

My wife asked me to buy her a car for our infrequent stays at the family house in Khon Kaen. I pointed out that she did not have a drivers license. Her response, "No problem, honey!"

I believe her. Last year, a friend of hers came to visit by car. They went out shopping. While navigating the fine byways of Khon Kaen, she drove the wrong way up a one way street and got stopped by the police. She had no driving license. The car was borrowed. They issued her a ticket and took her ID card. Then she was let go, and the ladies continued with their shopping trip. Later, she recovered her ID card at the police station with payment of a 100 baht fine.

Prayut is right! Suspending the offender's licence is the proper thing to do (regardless of whether they then choose to drive while suspended).

Seizing the vehicle is a regressive action, and it doesn't work if the offender has more than one vehicle. Meanwhile, it seriously impacts a single-vehicle family (where another family member could have continued to use the vehicle).

Nonsense, the objective is to teach them a lesson, imagine Somchai getting it in the ear from his wife for a week because they did not have a vehicle, far more effective than having to handover a licence!!!
Or Somchai's missus getting slapped around by him for a week because she was the guilty party...even more effective !

<deleted>. Where does the stupidity end??

Zero tolerance for drink driving, dangerous driving, driving without a license, etc.

Nationwide education program (on TV so nobody misses it) followed by a REAL crackdown (not the usual lip service) and massive fines for anyone breaking the laws - the laws that already exist, by the way.

This problem could be ended in a matter of days/weeks if only someone with power actually cared.

But; but The Big Pumpkin says we 'mustn't be too hard on people'......that is unless they are saying bad things about ME or reporting THE TRUTH !

Consider the legal side of Prayut's actions to impound vehicles.

He had to invoke Article 44. Apparently, there is no existing penal code that provides for impoundment!

However, a person could still appeal impoundment in the Administrative Court unless quashed by the NCPO. That may explain Prayut's caution, "We might have to return the vehicles and seize the driver's license instead" That implies that current law does provide for suspension of the driver's license.

As part of Prayut's reform of justice, he might consider the RTP applying existing laws to their fullest extent rather than making up laws as he sees fit.

Mr.PM if you were to impose a fine of 5000 baht a day( with may be a limit on the total fine,say 50,000) on impounded vehicles and place them in a fenced off vacant lot open to the elements you will create work for more guards (for the cars) and owners would then try to get their cars quickly.Pass a law (done easily enough) "that cars not picked up from said compound in 3 months will be auctioned off with the buyer paying the fine along with the auction fee"..

Edited by sanukjim

In NZ, vehicles are siezed and drivers license automaticly cancelled, siezed.

I think most Thai drivers are drunk all the time as the drive that way, just this morning a bike nearly slammed into me head on as he came around the corner wrong side of road lighting his fag.

I think Mr PM sir that you should reduce the speed limit for a start, and begin a road education campaign, I think that most Thai people don't even know or care about the Rd Toll, when I told my wife she just shrugged.

I feel very sorry for the children that get slaughtered every day on the roads, and it's obvious that they understand about the helmet campaign as nearly everyone does not wear them including falangs.

I can see the positive spin headlines now "Government creates massive boost in employment prospects for driving licence forgers" bringing happiness to the masses 110 percent of people say the are deliriously happy with the government wai2.gif

So, from 3 million drivers, 23% broke the law.
And from 700'000 drivers who broke the law, only 4.7% are prosecuted? facepalm.gif
Must have been a real good week for pocket money. thumbsup.gif
I assume Thai people, although not bothered if it's an offence to drive whilst drunk,
would never ever,drive without a licence? whistling.gif

There is so much wrong with Thailand when it comes to driving that it is hard to know where to begin. Let's start with lack of value of life. People die....part of life. The Thai way. I am a rich politically connected Thai...I am immune from justice....get out of my way you low class people! Drivers education...non existent. No inculcation of your responsibility towards others on the roads....cars, scooters, pedestrians, bicyclists. No idea how to drive period. Police.....underpaid, under trained, under equipped. In my 4 years driving in Thailand I have NEVER seen a driver pulled over for violating a rule of the road. I don't mean at checkpoints. I mean a patrolling police vehicle actually pulling over a vehicle. Therefore drivers can do whatever they want with no repercussions. All of this was easily observed driving from Hua Hin to BKK Sunday. Numerous drivers passing at high speed in the left breakdown lane. High speed swerving lane to lane. I resorted to putting on my emergency flashers numerous times as I slowed for traffic ahead and Thai driver barreling down on me from behind.

Taking vehicles or licenses away will have no effect until the issues I addressed get much needed attention. I am not holding my breath. Just look at the statements coming out of the mouth of so called PM to realize there is no sense of reality anywhere in leadership positions.

"We might have to return the vehicles and seize the driver's licences instead, so they can't go out and drink-drive again," he said."

Errr... What about the tens of thousands that don't have licenses but continue to drive? What kind of ivory tower does this guy live in?

He reminds me of the Emperor's New Clothes.

"The Emperor's New Clothes" (Danish: Kejserens nye Klæder) is a short tale by Hans Christian Andersen about two weavers who promise an emperor a new suit of clothes that is invisible to those who are unfit for their positions, stupid, or incompetent. When the Emperor parades before his subjects in his new clothes, no one dares to say that he doesn't see any suit of clothes until a child cries out, "But he isn't wearing anything at all!" The tale has been translated into over a hundred languages.[1]

Nothing to input for no licence and impaired, so it looks better for tourism if road deaths increase along with impound stats?

There is so much wrong with Thailand when it comes to driving that it is hard to know where to begin. Let's start with lack of value of life. People die....part of life. The Thai way. I am a rich politically connected Thai...I am immune from justice....get out of my way you low class people! Drivers education...non existent. No inculcation of your responsibility towards others on the roads....cars, scooters, pedestrians, bicyclists. No idea how to drive period. Police.....underpaid, under trained, under equipped. In my 4 years driving in Thailand I have NEVER seen a driver pulled over for violating a rule of the road. I don't mean at checkpoints. I mean a patrolling police vehicle actually pulling over a vehicle. Therefore drivers can do whatever they want with no repercussions. All of this was easily observed driving from Hua Hin to BKK Sunday. Numerous drivers passing at high speed in the left breakdown lane. High speed swerving lane to lane. I resorted to putting on my emergency flashers numerous times as I slowed for traffic ahead and Thai driver barreling down on me from behind.

Taking vehicles or licenses away will have no effect until the issues I addressed get much needed attention. I am not holding my breath. Just look at the statements coming out of the mouth of so called PM to realize there is no sense of reality anywhere in leadership positions.

The road issues in Thailand must not be visable to The government as they have done nothing about this slaughter since I know of and I first came here in 2000.

Thai people themselves must take some blame as they just accept it.

Look at how many think it's ok to drive a wreck with no lights ot overload a vehicle, saying this also agree with you they drive right past cops who ignore them and will only stop the odd bike some days for tea money for not wearing helmet.

I screamed at a lod do driver once for reckless driving nearly taking us out several times and my Thai wife said that now he might get angry and drive faster, and that is why we just sit here and let the lunatic maybe kill us.

Remove power for the police to put money in their pockets (I know, easier said then done) and make all tickets be paid at the police station no sooner than a week after the crime.....

The key to removing power from the individual policeman is to stop districts from charging police for getting their jobs in the first place. Police have to pay to get their jobs. Pay for their uniforms. Pay for their guns and also use their own motorcycles. I have been told that some police pay up to or above 200,000 baht to become a policeman. Most borrow money from loan sharks and have to repay. That leaves them with committing shakedowns and taking bribes as their salary for being a policeman is far too low to cover the costs they incurred.

Stopping police graft has to start at the root of the problem....the hiring process. In addition, there must be more stringent inspections of graft that takes place and penalties of dismissal or jail for those who are found guilty.

Yes, I know this is a Pollyanna way of thinking as this is Thailand. But something has to be done and this could be a viable solution if they ever attempt to put this into action. I will go back to sleep now and try another dream that is more realistic.

Prayut is right! Suspending the offender's licence is the proper thing to do (regardless of whether they then choose to drive while suspended).

Seizing the vehicle is a regressive action, and it doesn't work if the offender has more than one vehicle. Meanwhile, it seriously impacts a single-vehicle family (where another family member could have continued to use the vehicle).

And what if they don't have a licence? Make that a 5000 baht fine!

Cancel any licence of any driver who does have one who is caught drink driving.

The scary thought is that even though over 20000 drivers were caught drink driving, this did not even make a dent in the number of road accidents / fatalities. This just shows the extent of the drink driving problem in this country. And it has become such a problem through lack of law enforcement (and the laws that do exist are weak anyway).

I don't really believe that drunk drivers are the main cause of the accidents here. If you've spent any time on Thai highways, you see that people just drive in horribly erratic and dangerous ways. This goes double for motorcycles. They need so many changes in driving education, law enforcement, and their "professional" drivers' pay structures. Drunk driving, while dangerous, is just an easy scapegoat for the Thai government to blame.

Once again this guy is seriously challenged when it comes to common sense !! Let's not take the cars of them just take there licenses. As somebody else said since when has not having a licence stopped anyone in Thailand driving ! Arrest them,lock them up and take there licenses and if caught driving when they get out without a licence seize and sell there car and lock them up again!.

And as for seizing cars halved the drink Driving by half ! Lol..They don't normally check for drunk driving so how would they know ! Air heads !!

You mustn’t let logic stand in the way of good argument!

So let me get this straight...they impounded vehicles, fined drivers, put some drivers in jail and still, there were more road deaths this year around New Years, than the year before, when they did (almost) nothing.

Everytime, Thailand tries to copy the West, with law enforcement strategies, it backfires on them. Thailand used to have a prosperous hemp industry, until they bought into the US rhetoric about the "War on Drugs", burned all the fields and put 10s of thousands of people out of work, who used to live from hemp production and production of hemp products, like clothing, etc.

Meanwhile, a few years later, ,some States in the US legalized Marijuana and are making huge profits on taxes and less cost on crime prevention and incarceration.

I see the same thing with drinking and driving....

There are over 7 Billion people on this planet. over 82 million of them live in Thailand. Yes, some will die, due to drunk drivers, but that is a very small minority. More people die everyday, because people are stupid or don't know how to drive. They don't even know how to cross the road, when they are walking. I had people run out right in front of me before, in daylight.

Too many deaths get blamed on drunk driving and there are too many sheep, who just repeat anything they hear. The accident, I almost died from, back in 1990, I was sober. The 62 year old woman who was driving the car that cut me off, was sober. When my wife got cut off on her bike a few months ago and ended up in the hospital, she was sober. The stupid Bi&%h who cut her off, was sober, too, Texting while she was driving.

Just try to use your brain for a moment and think about any accidents you or people you know had. Were they drunk or sober?

Organizations like MADD, get millions of dollars in funding every year, which they use to brainwash the public. It makes me sick, when I think about it.

For example, if you are 0.5, in Canada, you are over the limit. That, for the average person, is one small beer. They will take your license for 90 days, seize your car for three month plus a fine and your insurance goes up. For having one small beer??? Grow up people. Quit letting everyone take away your freedoms and rights.

When I was young, we would drive to the pub, have a few beers and some food, listen to some live music or watch a hockey game and drive home. Today, if I did that, I would be considered a criminal, if caught.

I don't want Thailand to be a clone of the "political correct moral minority". I moved here, because when I got here in 2000, things were the way I liked them. It was like going back 50 years in time and it was great. Now, every year, they are introducing more Bullsh*t laws, copied from the West.

In Canada, they even take away your drivers license (if you have one), if you ride your bicycle drunk. Now where is the logic in that.

We are becoming a world of conditioned, brainwashed slaves, who are expected to be happy to live on next to nothing, working for people and Corporations who are filthy rich. We are trained to be peaceful, not to make waves and to think positive. As soon as you give someone a little dose of reality, the first thing they will say is.... "ohh, you are so negative". That or they will try to medicate you, telling you there is something wrong with you. There is nothing wrong with you, BUT there is plenty wrong with society.

The real hypocracy over here is, that the people making the drinking and driving laws are not even affected by them, because they all have their chaffeurs and motorcades to drive them around. They have lost touch with the reality of the average working person in this country....

The husband and wife, who work from the time the sun rises, until it sets in the fields. Sweating all day in the sun. They work all their lives but go nowwhere. They never get ahead. They will most likely be in debt all their lives. Then, when the husband stops for a few drinks (gongs) on the way home, to ease his physical and mental pain, he gets stopped by the police and gets a 20000 Baht fine for drinking and driving or his only mode of transportation taken away.

It is sad to see, what we have become. A bunch of people scared of their own shadows.

NCPO orders on drunk-driving prevention to remain in effect indefinitely

BANGKOK, 5 January 2016 (NNT) - Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha said the vehicles of drunk drivers will remain in the custody of the authorities until further notice.

Gen Prayut expressed his gratitude towards the Thai public and government officials involved in maintaining a peaceful atmosphere during the long holiday period.

The Prime Minister remains concerned over the number of road fatalities. The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) issued order No. 46 over the New Year holidays to prevent drunk driving and street racing.

Under the NCPO’s order, lawbreakers are required to attend a behavior adjustment program for 7-15 days. Their driving licenses will be suspended and vehicles impounded, temporarily. The order remains in effect until further notice.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-01-05 footer_n.gif

I agree with Gutterboy. The problem could be well on the way to solving if they actually tried to enforce existing laws and upgrade them as well. For drink driving over the limit of 0,05 impound the vehicle, send the culprit to the police station. (In Australia they have what we call booze buses at the checkpoints which take about 10 or 15 at a time to the station). At the station confiscate their license for 6 months and fine them 10.000 baht. Second offence 3 months jail and permanent loss of license. If those who are caught don't have a license, 3 months jail and 100,000 baht fine which can be paid off over a period of time depending on the income of the person. Have all check points under cctv coverage and breath anaylsis digitly recorded back to a central monitor.

Another procedure that could be adopted is recording by cctv cameras cars violating red lights and speeding.

These laws would be harsh on low income families with only one driver but that is better than killing people.

The main problem we have here is children trying to play educated adult games. While we continue to see statements like this, "[but] today I instructed [officers] to review the vehicle-impounding action because keeping vehicles for a long time can lead to problems. We might have to return the vehicles and seize the driver's licences instead, so they can't go out and drink-drive again," he said.], from a supposed educated general, the country will continue to be non-progessive. Introspection is a difficult state to evercome.