Buying my first bike - advice please

Payanak212

I'm looking to buy a motorbike primarily for the purpose of getting around quickly in Bangkok traffic. I know very little about bikes but ones I have been considering include the zoomer X, Click and CBR. I quite like aesthetic appeal of the zoomer and CBR but realise the click is quite pragmatic especially with the storage space. If members could suggest any other motorbikes that could fit my requirements it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Out of the three, get the Click. When you say CBR you probably mean CBR150R. There are a handful of other CBR bikes from Honda like the 250, 300, 500, 650, 1000.

The click has the best storage/practicality from these. Zoomer X with the open compartment under the seat is a bit stupid imho.

The smaller bikes all work more-or-less equally well in traffic.

Mocy taxi guys are pros.

What do they prefer?

Wave125.

If you want to sell later, Wave 125 is the easiest

and has under-seat storage.

Edited by papa al

The smaller bikes all work more-or-less equally well in traffic.

In a city with average traveling speeds for cars of 9 to 16 km/h the speed/power of your motorcycle is of less importance biggrin.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

This is where I would go shopping.

I have no commercial connection with this Co.

On my way back from the shops today I was passing my local auction site which is Union Auction Co. in Rangsit Klong 8.

I dropped in because there was a tractor auction going on which is another interest of mine.

On tomorrows motorcycle sale list which consists of 96 lots these are the ones I picked out.

1. A little Stallions Cafe racer with 1300 km on the clock. No reserve (do they know something we don't?). It looked OK from 5 metres and I wasn't interested enough to get any closer.

2. Lifan 110 step thru. 2015 I think. Never seen this model before. Pretty much a clone of the Honda Wave 110i but my guess is it has a carb as I could see a fuel tap. Didn't feel like bending down to confirm my guess. 10K reserve.

3. A dog of a CBR 250 with no reserve. I wouldn't chance it.

4. Lot 96. A 2015 Wave 110i with alloys and electric start. 1234 km on the clock. 20K reserve. Looked like a new bike. This would be the one I would want if I needed a runaround. A bummer it is the last lot.

And a tsunami of Waves, Clicks, Scoopys, Finos at prices that make me laugh at the classified prices.

They have a good website (by Thai standards) with a detailed stock list and photos of every lot.

Next couple of weeks they have an R15 coming up. Looked OK but the Thai bling nailed onto it put me off. Perhaps the owner should have paid the finance rather than buying the bling. No reserve set as yet.

Also a couple of almost new Honda Dreams. I like these bikes but, retro though it may be, I cannot accept a bike with a drum front brake in the year 2016. One had a reserve of 28K which I thought was a bit ambitious.

I went there on my old 2001 Honda Dream with 178,000 km on the clock and I certainly appreciate the virtues of it. Notwithstanding the slightly rattly cam chain.

But a comfortable seat doesn't much matter if some clown pulls out from a side road in front of you.

In that situation I want a disc front brake.

BKK traffic... hmmm.. something to zoom in and out, get you to your destination...something that is reliable, and cost less than vacation to P tang country... hmmm Honda CBR 150.. the new one... what is it now..79 K...

I have had a Honda PCX 150 for over 2 years and never had a problem. Plenty of under seat storage and you can also fit a backbox. It's very comfortable, especially if you're tall. It's nippy enough for getting through city traffic and can go the distance when required. I occasionally travel 500 + km per day, and find being able to adopt different postures helps

If you really know so little about scooters, then you cannot be very experienced, and BKK is almost too much for many experienced riders. DELETED but if you really need a bike; GET AN AUTOMATIC. The last thing you need to deal with is gears & a clutch when your focus must be 100% on traffic - at least until you get a few years of accident-free experience. I would even say this to someone who has driven a geared bike in the country. After that, the more power, the more acceleration, although a 125 will beat most cars in normal driving. if you will use any highways, the safest way to drive is going with the traffic at their speed. that means if they are doing 70 or 80, then you should too. in this regard a 150 pcx is probably the best value as it is the most common, and you can get a used one for the price of one of the 'minibikes' you are considering.

Edited by seedy
off topic

If your in BKK, you may want to look at the auction Saturdays at Lad Prao, 1 year old Zoomers were selling for 21k when I was there in September

hi

can anyone advise me, at this action in lad prao, would there be kawasaki ern 650cc for sale ? im interested in buying one.

thanks

So you've never had a motorbike before so you're not familiar with shifting gears.

For what you are looking for in a bike I would have to suggest the Yamaha Grand Filano. You will have no problem with getting in and out of traffic, no gears to shift, and plenty of storage space.

If you are looking for short range commuting, enough power to keep up in traffic when you ride solo or with a passenger, and isn't a bike only a girl should be riding, a Honda PCX 150 will do the job.

I can't imagine cruising around in a little 125cc bike but I have a gf who is with me a lot when we aren't in her car and she's pretty light but still, those 125s are a smaller bike.

It has good storage and you can get a little trunk for the back too. There are plenty of aftermarket parts for it and parts are very inexpensive.

The PCX 150 has gained a rep as a "I think I'm a cool expat" sort of thing but its better than being a guy riding a girl sized bike, in my opinion. I'm sure others will disagree and that's fine. A scooter is a great way to get around town.

Just don't get a zoomer. I recently rented one for a week. It handles clumsily compared to wave and mio, which you need in BKK traffic. The gas station attendant spilled gas everywhere trying to fill the very low and awkward fuel tank. The internal storage doesn't hold much and there are no front storage units.

It's almost like small Yamahas have leprosy. IMHO they are just as reliable as Hondas, it's just the Thais prefer Hondas and it shows in the price premium.

I have a Yamaha TTX which I bought for 23,900 baht with 7500 km on the odometer. Not much storage, so I put a hook and a pillion box on. Not for out of city driving, very manoeuvrable in city traffic.

One suggestion is look for a scooter or bike that has carbon fibre wheels, not wire spokes. The wire spoked wheels can be a real pain in the butt, need to check tyre pressures more often, and difficult to use the air hoses at service stations because the tyre valve has insufficient clearance from the hub.

I've tried most of the popular scooters, but the PCX is by far my favourite. It has a slightly longer wheelbase which adds to comfort, and doesn't feel quite so much like a kids toy. I have a 125, but when I was in CM I rented a 150 for curiosity. That particular one seemed to have a higher centre of gravity with little difference in performance, so I'm sticking with the 125 which I've serviced on time (with oil change at double frequency to what the book says), and it's never given a whisper of a problem, looks and drives like new. They're quieter too. It's not a 'real bike', but as scooters go it's pretty good. The only change I made was to adjust the rake of the handle bars forward a little, so that I had a bit more fore/aft room without feeling like my elbows were tucked under my armpits.

Upside: Comfort, adequate power, lots of under seat storage.

Downside: no hook or basket for anything else. It's not a step through, so carrying a box between your feet isn't really practical.

Conditionally good or bad: the wing mirrors protrude a bit further. This is good for farang sized people so you don't just get a mirror showing your shoulders. On the other hand if you weave traffic through narrow gaps then every centimetre of width counts.

It's almost like small Yamahas have leprosy. IMHO they are just as reliable as Hondas, it's just the Thais prefer Hondas and it shows in the price premium.

I have a Yamaha TTX which I bought for 23,900 baht with 7500 km on the odometer. Not much storage, so I put a hook and a pillion box on. Not for out of city driving, very manoeuvrable in city traffic.

One suggestion is look for a scooter or bike that has carbon fibre wheels, not wire spokes. The wire spoked wheels can be a real pain in the butt, need to check tyre pressures more often, and difficult to use the air hoses at service stations because the tyre valve has insufficient clearance from the hub.

Do not buy a Yamaha Fino, the depreciating is really dreadful and is very heavy on fuel, but if you

are only looking for reliability, then OK.

Stay under 100cc , .then drive it mostly on the sidewalk for a year or so.until your learn to ride.

Drive on the sidewalk????? Are you off your head? what about the safety of the pedestrians?

Some peoples selfishness really amazes me.

Do not buy a Yamaha Fino, the depreciating is really dreadful and is very heavy on fuel, but if you

are only looking for reliability, then OK.

Fuel economy on the TTX seems fine to me, although I think it's a lighter bike than the Fino. Usually fill once a fortnight, 50 - 70 baht.