iming to apply for visa when my passport expires in 9 months. I am going to Thailand in early April

My passport expires in September. The requirement to issue visa (yes, I need visa) states that I need a 6-months valid passport to apply for the visa. Can I apply for the visa before March and use the visa later? After my visa is issued, then I have a 3-months window to enter in Thailand.

For the time when I enter in Thailand my passport will have only 5 months before it expires. Once in Thailand, my passport I would apply for a new passport in my embassy in Bangkok. Now I am living abroad and is not convenient to apply for my passport now. Any idea? Thank you.

Yes, as long as you have 6 months remaining on the date you apply they will issue the visa.

A single entry tourist visa will be valid for 3 months from the date of issue and you can enter Thailand on or before the expiry date of the visa. You will receive a 60 day stay as long as you have at least 60 days remaining on your passport.

Just renew now, why wait????

I think he explained that in the original post.

Now I am living abroad and is not convenient to apply for my passport now.

Though if the OP is a Brit, he should be aware that he would need to endure the rigours of "The Great With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience" if he was minded to defer applying for his replacement passport until after his arrival in LOS. It is no longer a matter for us Brits of simply trotting along to the Embassy for this purpose, I'm afraid. If he is currently in a country from which he will be able to submit a renewal application online and have the replacement passport couriered directly to him from the UK, it would probably prove far more convenient for him to go through the renewal process while he was still living there.

Edited by OJAS

Just renew now, why wait????

I think he explained that in the original post.

Now I am living abroad and is not convenient to apply for my passport now.

Though if the OP is a Brit, he should be aware that he would need to endure the rigours of "The Great With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience" if he was minded to defer applying for his replacement passport until after his arrival in LOS. It is no longer a matter for us Brits of simply trotting along to the Embassy for this purpose, I'm afraid. If he is currently in a country from which he will be able to submit a renewal application online and have the replacement passport couriered directly to him from the UK, it would probably prove far more convenient for him to go through the renewal process while he was still living there.

I think you are still sore from your bad experience shortly after the changes were made that the application had to be done at Trendy. Reports for some time now is that it is much better now and passports are normally being received in 3 weeks or less on average.

I think you are still sore from your bad experience shortly after the changes were made that the application had to be done at Trendy. Reports for some time now is that it is much better now and passports are normally being received in 3 weeks or less on average.

That may well be the case, but it doesn't get away from the fundamental issue that irks us Brits living out in the sticks that 2 trips to Bangkok are now required for passport renewal purposes, whereas previously it was possible to submit applications by post (albeit to Hong Kong) and get the new passport couriered to you from the UK directly.

In any event, we are still awaiting clarification from the OP as to his nationality, of course!

Yes a real pain now, I have to do mine early march, then travel back when it arrives, what complete idiot came up with this?? and the expense 2 trips over 2000 kms, hotels etc etc, very badly thought out, or more like not thought out at all???

That may well be the case, but it doesn't get away from the fundamental issue that irks us Brits living out in the sticks that 2 trips to Bangkok are now required for passport renewal purposes, whereas previously it was possible to submit applications by post (albeit to Hong Kong) and get the new passport couriered to you from the UK directly.

In any event, we are still awaiting clarification from the OP as to his nationality, of course!

I think you and other UK citizens got a little spoiled by being able to do the mail in applications. The majority of others have to make 2 trips to get there passports renewed.

Apparently from info in the original topic about the changes the reason for it is that people were using a passport that had been replaced because there was no canceled stamp done or the corners cut off. That also meant there a lot of passport available for sale.

Yes a real pain now, I have to do mine early march, then travel back when it arrives, what complete idiot came up with this?? and the expense 2 trips over 2000 kms, hotels etc etc, very badly thought out, or more like not thought out at all???

There are some agents now that are offering a service for the renewals if you are willing to pay a fee of 5000 baht.

I think you and other UK citizens got a little spoiled by being able to do the mail in applications. The majority of others have to make 2 trips to get there passports renewed.

Apparently from info in the original topic about the changes the reason for it is that people were using a passport that had been replaced because there was no canceled stamp done or the corners cut off. That also meant there a lot of passport available for sale.

But American citizens living out in the sticks, for example, don't need to make 2 trips to Bangkok for passport renewal purposes!

They can submit their applications during a US Embassy outreach visit to their locality:-

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/consular_outreach.html

AND they can then have their new passport mailed to them direct for an extra 80 USD if they so wish:-

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/adult_passport_renew.html

It is also interesting to note that the Embassy will retain the old passport at the application stage and return it duly cancelled when the new passport is mailed to the applicant (if they opt for this). So presumably the State Department do not see any problem with US nationals living in Thailand being temporarily without any passport for local legislative ID requirement purposes - unlike their FCO/HMPO counterparts back in the UK who justify the onerous passport renewal procedures to which we Brits are now subject solely on their interpretation of Thai law in this respect, which is clearly at variance with the US State Department's interpretation!