British man found dead on Koh Tao

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After all that is said and done, the lesson learned here is do not go there while the best advice warns us: Do not go to Koh Tao Island as there has to be something sinister going on there with so many people suspiciously dying on a popular vacation island.

Obviously the police can not be held accountable for everyone and all that goes on around the island while they really do not care.

If they do then they sure are putting on a good face while spinning plausible tales and their final conclusions that conveniently sweep the matters under the rug.

Meantime for those visiting the island it is more than apparent the island is a risky place to be.

At this point it is best to simply pick another island as they seem to be safer ...that is if you keep your wits about you including not going over board on the alcohol and the drugs and partying nearly 24 hours a day and drink till you drop.

I have a niece coming to visit Thailand starting on the 16th of Jan / 2016 ( in 6 more days ) and I will be telling her the facts of life, relevant to traveling around parts of Thailand and other countries in South East Asia and having a good time without all the alcohol and drugs and or joining in with the wild bunch, party hardy types that greatly increases your chances of something bad happening or worse yet something tragic happening.

How can you keep them out of harms way other than to forewarn them to be on guard at all times and do not party hardy as if you are back in your home country even if that good advice curbs a persons enthusiasm to join in with all the other people doing the Party Hardy routine

I remember when I first came to Thailand at the young age of 21, back when I was a drinker and drug consumer myself, I remember doing a number of things considered very risky while there was no one to warn me of all the little details and things to be aware of and circumstances to be avoided and the many dangerous / risky possibilities other than my parents telling me: Be careful son.

I believe that most of the travelers that died would still be alive if they had not thrown caution to the wind and jumped right in with both feet emulating what ever one else was doing and consume a lot of alcohol and or drugs and just go with the flow ..so to speak.

It seems the young man was doing exactly what he long desired before it all abruptly ended.

RIP

“He didn’t look like someone who had been in the water for hours — there was still dried blood on his face.”

I know this is about Nick Pearson but.........

no wonder the speculation

We don't need speculation in any matter, each should be treated as an separate case, not running into or off another incident. The only common denominator is Koh Tao Island, so please let's stick with the subject at hand.

Christina Annesley's parents are still unhappy with the investigation into her death carried out on Koh Tao:

http://www.newsgrio.com/articles/131313-christina-annesley-s-parents-track-down-last-man-to-see-her-alive-in-sweden.html

Yeah, because they did not want to follow other leads. That does not necessarily make them incompetent, as long as they had strong evidence that it was not foul play. However, because their credibility was destroyed with the B2 case, for good reason I should add, and because they are known to be corrupt - they buy their posts, they make money off extortion, everything has a price, apparently even murder) nobody believes anymore what they are saying, and that's the issue.

Looking at it from outside (never been to Koh Tao but been to Samui many times and for extended periods - just a matter of taste, I don't fancy very small islands, and Samui is more developed), in my opinion there have been just too many strange deaths involving tourists/foreigners.

Crime is everywhere, true, Pattaya is the mother of them all (just read the local newspapers there and it's murder, drugs,theft, card skimming, guns, Russian (and other) criminals wanted by Interpol, accidents all day long) but at least Pattaya is well known for crime.

Oh well, I may scrape Koh Tao off the list, not that I intended to go there anytime soon.

“He didn’t look like someone who had been in the water for hours — there was still dried blood on his face.”

We don't need speculation in any matter, each should be treated as an separate case, not running into or off another incident. The only common denominator is Koh Tao Island, so please let's stick with the subject at hand.

referring to Nick's death

first time I read about dried blood in sea water after time had lapsed

coincidence regarding floating in water with head injuries!

referring to Nick's death

first time I read about dried blood in sea water after time had lapsed

coincidence regarding floating in water with head injuries!

I fully understand what you were referring to but it really has no relevance to this matter. Coincidence with which matter, surely not this one.

So many Thailand haters.....

Im actually surprised not more tourist are dying with the way they behave.... Seen my share of fools over 30 years.. I remember one US moron, around 22 year old hired a scooter, was so drunk, stoned, that he crashed scooter, left it out front of his room, smashed, he wasnt seen for days, came out after 3 or so days, with no recall of what he had done.... Morons !!

sz1a, on 09 Jan 2016 - 20:07, said:

I'll bet they'll call it a suicide unless of course they find cigarette butts on the scene.

The cause of death is pretty much sure and you make this comment, get a life.

It's very difficult to have a faith in anything they say in the light of passed events.

While suggestions to contact Jonathan Head may well be a good idea as some of his reporting has been exceptional, and he seems to be able to report on things other journalists would get deported for.

I but I am uncertain of the BBC's impartiality, case in point was a brief heavily edited report from Jonathan on 24/25 December which seemed to support the the findings of Judges regarding the B2 in line with the British Governments statement, same report less edited broadcast latter expresses a different view...

Also I was in Thailand at the time of Charles and Camilla weeding and caught part of it on the BBC World Service and could clearly hear a lot of booing when he got to the Registry Office something that was edited out for UK viewers.

You must have read a different article as in the one i read he most certainly didn't back the findings, but was critical of the defence lawyers.

Besides Mr Head can do absolutely nothing about the fact that you can get away with murder in Thailand if you're rich enough, and that the RTP police are at best utterly incompetent in investigating and at worst complicit in murders.

After all that is said and done, the lesson learned here is do not go there while the best advice warns us: Do not go to Koh Tao Island as there has to be something sinister going on there with so many people suspiciously dying on a popular vacation island.

Obviously the police can not be held accountable for everyone and all that goes on around the island while they really do not care.

If they do then they sure are putting on a good face while spinning plausible tales and their final conclusions that conveniently sweep the matters under the rug.

Meantime for those visiting the island it is more than apparent the island is a risky place to be.

At this point it is best to simply pick another island as they seem to be safer ...that is if you keep your wits about you including not going over board on the alcohol and the drugs and partying nearly 24 hours a day and drink till you drop.

I have a niece coming to visit Thailand starting on the 16th of Jan / 2016 ( in 6 more days ) and I will be telling her the facts of life, relevant to traveling around parts of Thailand and other countries in South East Asia and having a good time without all the alcohol and drugs and or joining in with the wild bunch, party hardy types that greatly increases your chances of something bad happening or worse yet something tragic happening.

How can you keep them out of harms way other than to forewarn them to be on guard at all times and do not party hardy as if you are back in your home country even if that good advice curbs a persons enthusiasm to join in with all the other people doing the Party Hardy routine

I remember when I first came to Thailand at the young age of 21, back when I was a drinker and drug consumer myself, I remember doing a number of things considered very risky while there was no one to warn me of all the little details and things to be aware of and avoid and dangerous possibilities other than my parents telling me: Be careful son.

I believe that most of the travelers that died would still be alive if they had not thrown caution to the wind and jumped right in with both feet emulating what ever one else was doing and consume a lot of alcohol and or drugs and just go with the flow ..so to speak.

It seems the young man was doing exactly what he long desired before it all abruptly ended.

RIP

Yes I agree with what you are saying everyone should take common sense caution when they travel.

I also agree with the fact that some people when getting drunk or high do things that they would never do in their home countries.

But let's also not forget that Thai people connected to powerful figures in places like a small island, where everything is controlled including the Police, have the tendency sometimes to feel invincible and can take things to the next level, particularly if they are on Yaba.

Also, it is well known that the attitude of Thai people towards foreigners is more tolerant rather than friendly (once you see through the smiles) because of money, really. I think they see us as a necessary evil. If we could just send the money without attending it would be wonderful. If say a foreigner would get drunk and would insult a Thai in these places, the outcome would be uncertain. It could result in murder really. And for the right amount it could be covered up.

But we should not try to automatically put the blame on the victim (this is classic Thai specialty, starting from comments such as "Women should not wear bikinis unless they are ugly")

This case should be thoroughly investigated, unfortunately I'm not sure there is enough "competence" or "will" to do so.

At what stage do you consider that the prevalence of tourist deaths on this tiny island should become an issue? 5? Check, 10? check. 100?

For my part, I share others concerns about this merry go round KT seems to be on. When my young relatives visit I warn them off the island as a matter of course. Samui and KPG, though not perfect examples of safety do not seem to suffer from the same high incidence of biting the hand that feeds them.

At what stage do you consider that the prevalence of tourist deaths on this tiny island should become an issue? 5? Check, 10? check. 100?

For my part, I share others concerns about this merry go round KT seems to be on. When my young relatives visit I warn them off the island as a matter of course. Samui and KPG, though not perfect examples of safety do not seem to suffer from the same high incidence of biting the hand that feeds them.

What are you on about. Any death is of concern but I am getting sick and tired of people speculating and putting up unrealistic scenarios and turning assumptions and innuendos into fact. So before you jump out of your tree, understand what I have written. if you have difficulty in doing so, then maybe you shouldn't comment.

Well good for you, warning people off, if that is you belief then do it, I don't think we need to know about it. Do you think this little bullish action on your behalf will have any bearing on the numbers who attend there, I doubt it.

sz1a, on 09 Jan 2016 - 20:07, said:

I'll bet they'll call it a suicide unless of course they find cigarette butts on the scene.

The cause of death is pretty much sure and you make this comment, get a life.

The cause if death may well be a head injury but the fact he shares the same surname as David Miller this could easily have been a mistaken identity murder and the body thrown in the pool after to make it look like an accident and hide all traces of wrongdoing. Also everyone is entitled to their opinion so please let people have their say.

So many Thailand haters.....

Im actually surprised not more tourist are dying with the way they behave.... Seen my share of fools over 30 years.. I remember one US moron, around 22 year old hired a scooter, was so drunk, stoned, that he crashed scooter, left it out front of his room, smashed, he wasnt seen for days, came out after 3 or so days, with no recall of what he had done.... Morons !!

Well they are not all called Miller are they?

Even though Im deeply suspicious as the murderers and police on Koh Tao must now think they are fireproof, I must admit that accidental death as claimed is feasible. Believe me, after seeing the photo, the DJ booth roof in the photo would be crying out for a tombstone to someone full of youthful exhuberance and pumped up on drink and drugs after a great night out. I know because I did something equally stupid when just 21yrs old in Barbados. After a great night out with my 'shipmates' celebrating sailing the Atlantic and high on my 1st visit to the Tropics + excess rum + excess grass, in pure exhuberance after swimming back to the yacht, I started to climb the 90' main mast with the intention of diving off the top spreaders into the warm and inviting Caribbean sea. The swaying mast led me stop on the lower spreaders and I can still clearly remember becoming acutely aware of the danger of hitting the deck if I miss-timed my dive with the sway. After what seemed like an eternity of nervous hesitation with friends trying to dissuade me from below, I did eventually jump, not dive, from the lower spreaders, and survived unscathed successfully clearing the side of the yacht.

I think the clear temptation of tombstoning from that roof is why barbed wire was there, (if it was/is) and I bet that it is/was well known on the island for young farangs tombstoning and among young visitors who stay a while on Koh Tao. On the other hand, this knowledge by locals, would make it ideal as an alibi for a murder if indeed one were needed.

Don't forget nobody saw him on that roof. Nobody saw him jump. Might very well be - but it is not fact, it is just a story told by RTP. Remember the stories they came up with after the bludgeoning of Hanna and David?

What an idiotic insensitive thing to say. Someone has died and you try to make jokes??

Don't be so sensitive, it's not a joke about poor Luke. It is irony and there might be some truth on it

From the Khaosod report it appears his body was found Friday morning.

If the story is true I would have expected the guy to be showing off to at least one person but it seems he was all alone - very strange. And why dive and not just jump?

All we have in truth is a body in the pool with presumably evidence of a blow to the head and some cuts on his face. I wonder what the cuts look like. Same as David Miller's?

Not really that strange and why would you expect that he was showing off? Especially given as you say it seems he was alone. In a heavily intoxicated state people do the strangest things. It's also the case that a lot of people sleep walk under the influence. I used to do so regularly, often waking up to find myself taking a leak in the wardrobe or some other unlikely place; until one night under the influence of alcohol, grass and various other recreational substances, I got up in the night and walked out of an unbarred full length window in a converted UK mill house. Presumably wandering around asleep on my feet, trying to find somewhere to take a leak I stepped out to a 20 foot drop onto granite flagstones. Milkman found me on the floor unconscious at 5am. I was lucky to survive it with a smashed pelvis, broken wrist and nose. But I guess you're already thinking maybe somebody dragged me out of bed and threw me out of the window while I was asleep to make it look like suicide, right? I think there has actually been a case where someone successfully legally defended murdering another person whilst sleepwalking - so it is a recognised condition.

I understand that someone dying of misadventure on Koh Tao is rather disappointing in terms of sustaining the ongoing hysteria amongst the armchair detectives here on TV, but really.... what is already known here overwhelmingly suggests nothing more than misadventure with alcohol and drugs as contributing factors.

OK.....Feasible..............His friends and family will know and report, Im sure, if he was a sleepwalker, or extreme sleepwalker like yourself.

Did you ever perform anything more physical than walking, opening doors, and pissing? Wouldnt the attention and concentration required for a difficult climb and barbed wire cutting your face have woken you up?

Yes, on one occasion I 'awoke' to find myself hanging by my finger tips from a window ledge at a friends house. Fortunately only first floor and a wooden garden bench below which i was able to drop down onto. It was a normal metre square window so not particularly easy to have climbed out of, and that was after just drinking a lot - no drugs involved. Pretty embarassing to have to be knocking on my mates door stark b*ll*ck naked at 3am to let me in again... I've done a few other odd things too that I didnt know about until next day - re-arranging furniture, running a bath and flooding the bathroom. Only ever happened to me after drinking heavily. On the few occasions where people had encountered me in that state they said it was very scary, eyes rolled back in my head with no awareness whatsover. Of course the really scary thing is that I dont actually know what I may have done and got away with whilst in such a state so I cant really give you the answer you are looking for.

obviously another murder and another cover up

Why are these two points obvious. So you have attended the scene, conducted forensic tests, obtained DNA, found the murder weapon with the offenders prints still visible, established the motive, , obtained witness statements, been involved in the autopsy and are now looking for the offenders. We can expect he matter to be finalised shortly and those responsible charged and put before the courts. Another first for the TVF detectives. Fair Dinkum, how can you come to such a conclusion without supporting evidence and the poor and minimal reporting by the press. Honestly, give some of you an inch and you take a mile.

Even though Im deeply suspicious as the murderers and police on Koh Tao must now think they are fireproof, I must admit that accidental death as claimed is feasible. Believe me, after seeing the photo, the DJ booth roof in the photo would be crying out for a tombstone to someone full of youthful exhuberance and pumped up on drink and drugs after a great night out. I know because I did something equally stupid when just 21yrs old in Barbados. After a great night out with my 'shipmates' celebrating sailing the Atlantic and high on my 1st visit to the Tropics + excess rum + excess grass, in pure exhuberance after swimming back to the yacht, I started to climb the 90' main mast with the intention of diving off the top spreaders into the warm and inviting Caribbean sea. The swaying mast led me stop on the lower spreaders and I can still clearly remember becoming acutely aware of the danger of hitting the deck if I miss-timed my dive with the sway. After what seemed like an eternity of nervous hesitation with friends trying to dissuade me from below, I did eventually jump, not dive, from the lower spreaders, and survived unscathed successfully clearing the side of the yacht.

I think the clear temptation of tombstoning from that roof is why barbed wire was there, (if it was/is) and I bet that it is/was well known on the island for young farangs tombstoning and among young visitors who stay a while on Koh Tao. On the other hand, this knowledge by locals, would make it ideal as an alibi for a murder if indeed one were needed.

Don't forget nobody saw him on that roof. Nobody saw him jump. Might very well be - but it is not fact, it is just a story told by RTP. Remember the stories they came up with after the bludgeoning of Hanna and David?

Don't forget nobody has stepped forward yet to say that they saw him on that roof...

Why are these two points obvious. So you have attended the scene, conducted forensic tests, obtained DNA, found the murder weapon with the offenders prints still visible, established the motive, , obtained witness statements, been involved in the autopsy and are now looking for the offenders. We can expect he matter to be finalised shortly and those responsible charged and put before the courts. Another first for the TVF detectives. Fair Dinkum, how can you come to such a conclusion without supporting evidence and the poor and minimal reporting by the press. Honestly, give some of you an inch and you take a mile.

clap2.gif

After the murders that occured and the shambolic investigation I think people are right to be suspicious and doubtful of anything the police on koh tao say. It may well be that this was just an unfortunate accident but the police have lost their credibility. Its safe to say that if you go to Koh Tao and something untoward happens to you , you cannot rely on the police for your welfare. Its a dangerous island and when I meet people and koh tao comes up in conversation I actively encourage them not to go. People might ridicule me for this but if I can stop just a few people from going its a start. Koh Tao advertises itself as a peaceful, fun and carefree paradise island which is a complete deception. If you scratch under the surface you will find that most of the locals only have one interest and that is to get your money. Drug dealers, rapists and murderers live there with impunity. The only thing that gets their attention is the disruption of the gravy train. For this reason I urge people not to go there, boycott this place and spread the word. Boycott Murder Island and we may see some changes, make Koh Tao and its residence suffer.

Obvious? No.... Possible? Yes!

NOBODY saw him jump

NOBODY heard anything

His buddies can (and will I suppose) confirm he wanted to have a few more drinks before going home.........maybe he had his eyes on some chick. There must be CCTV footage of his last whereabouts, unfortunately I am afraid these CCTV footages will not be investigated as the RTP rules out foul play and calls it an "accident". They do say however from CCTV footage he appears to be very drunk. What CCTV footage are they talking about? From the Sunset Bar? From another bar? From an hotel? Of course I am sure he was drunk, but that goes for 95% of all people on Koh Tao partying through the night. Maybe he had some drugs too, as lots of people take there.

More questions......

• Was he in the Sunset Bar around closing time which is 2am according to their own FB site?
  • When did the last person leave the Sunset Bar?
  • Can anybody easily enter the Sunset bar after they close?
  • Does the Sunset Bar switch off their CCTV system?
  • Is it possible he got involved in some fight, got a beating was hit with some object, passed out and was dumped in that pool?
  • How does the RTP know he jumped of that DJ booth at the Sunset Bar?
  • How does the RTP conclude the scratches in his face were from the barbed wire on the roof of that same booth?

Or did he walk home, let's say early in the morning, felt the urgent need to take a dive into a pool, therefore he entered the closed Sunset Bar, climbed on that DJ boot which has a springbrett next to it, cut his face open, still dived all by himself, face down to hit the shallow part of the pool bottom?

Can his sister which some people doubt is for real (I am not one of those but i may be wrong) shine some light on this?

• Has there been contact with his buddies?
  • What do they say?
  • Where were they drinking?
  • When did they go home?
  • Did they leave him by himself?
  • In what state was he in?
  • Was he completely gone?
  • Does he have a history of doing crazy things like that when he is totally drunk?

People who organise these events have a "duty of care"...

Given the event, and drink was freely available, I certainty feel the organisers should be held accountable...

• did they conduct a risk assessment?
  • if there was barbed wire to prevent revealers climbing up on top of the DJ hut, who checked it as being fit for purpose?
  • when was it last checked?
  • was the victim the only person "tombstoning into the pool"?
  • what actions were taken by the management to stop it?
  • was the DJ or other members of staff encouraging it?

Duty of care is a lovely concept and in any civilised country it's top of the agenda when organising events. However we're talking about Thailand. Where in Thailand have you ever been where duty of care and/or safety have been of paramount importance?

You only have to stroll through any city's streets to see unfenced gaping holes in the pavements leading directly to a sewer, non-existent(or at least unenforced) traffic safety regulations, rusty dilapidated fairground rides, masses of low-hanging electric cables along many streets, deadly beaches with vicious undertows with no warning flags(as in Rayong where countless kids get sucked under to their deaths)... I could go on and on...

No Thailand is not yet such a civilised country that recognisesand implements duty of care. On top of that we're talking about Kho Tao, an island that condones murders and protects it's well-heeled killers. What do they care about duty of care?

If the money's rolling in, then everything's tickety-boo on that crap-hole. Sad but true.

While suggestions to contact Jonathan Head may well be a good idea as some of his reporting has been exceptional, and he seems to be able to report on things other journalists would get deported for.

I but I am uncertain of the BBC's impartiality, case in point was a brief heavily edited report from Jonathan on 24/25 December which seemed to support the the findings of Judges regarding the B2 in line with the British Governments statement, same report less edited broadcast latter expresses a different view...

Also I was in Thailand at the time of Charles and Camilla weeding and caught part of it on the BBC World Service and could clearly hear a lot of booing when he got to the Registry Office something that was edited out for UK viewers.

You must have read a different article as in the one i read he most certainly didn't back the findings, but was critical of the defence lawyers.

Besides Mr Head can do absolutely nothing about the fact that you can get away with murder in Thailand if you're rich enough, and that the RTP police are at best utterly incompetent in investigating and at worst complicit in murders.

I did not read it...

It was a edited short exert of his "report to camera" sent from presumable somewhere in Asia, aired on the BBC News here in the UK, in the first instance he seemed to concur with the British Governments (some Jnr Minister as I recall) statement saying they felt the court had made the right decision now everybody shut up.

A few day later when a longer version of the same "report to camera" was aired it did question the courts decision.

We did it From 2nd flood malaysia hôtel and other hôtel young ,stupid, Stoned, full of life and fun and Lucky I guess.

Correct, we, you do NOT do these things alone..

Wrong. People CAN and DO make irrational decisions and perform reckless acts under the influence of alcohol and or drugs whilst alone.

I appreciate that does not suit your agenda of maintaining the excitement of a 'murder mystery' case here, but sadly it is a fact.

Time for KT to be completely boycotted via the appropriate channels inc withdrawing the ferries which would cripple the place in less than 3 weeks. KPG too should have the same but only for Haad Rin for 5 days per month ie two days before and two days after the Full Moon, strangling the party and its spin offs. Business could resume after Glastonbury-esque services were in place and thoroughly tested by sources that can be trusted and verified.

MONEY is the only language that is going to get anywhere. The above will remind everyone of the relationship between 'customer' and 'service provider' and that the day when those customers stop coming altogether is perhaps closer than they might think.

26921669-tumbleweed-on-the-beach-in-the-

Archived