Sliding away in curves

Gutenberg

As I am driving into curves, sometimes normal, sometimes a bit more steep, sometimes wet, sometimes not - I feel that the back wheels are just sliding away, never the front wheels. Always that wheel which is on the inner side of the curve.

It is like oversteering as in this picture but I doubt it has anything to do with steering. I am going 50 km/h, everybody is faster than me, not braking, not accelerating and even if I am really careful because I know already what will happen, it happens.

I also notice a wobble at higher speeds, but I recently were in a shop to balance(?) the tires. The tires have only around 10,000km on them and they look new.

So here is my question: What if not the tires are the reason for this?

post-81192-0-14509800-1452466959_thumb.j

Yep, first thing to do is buy a tyre pressure gauge at Tesco....If feels the same take to a recommended place to get the tracking checked...

PS. Open the drivers door and read the sticker for correct tyre pressures, NOT whats on the tyre.

Also agree as shops often put what is on the side walls, that is max pressure, rather than rated pressure. This will cause the tire to 'crest' in the middle significantly reducing traction.

Yep, first thing to do is buy a tyre pressure gauge at Tesco....If feels the same take to a recommended place to get the tracking checked...

PS. Open the drivers door and read the sticker for correct tyre pressures, NOT whats on the tyre.

Tire pressure is already at what the manual advises.

"tracking checked"? What does that mean?

There is an adjustment for settings of toe in or toe out on the front wheels. It must be SPOT ON for a particular ride or shit can happen....It is a minuscule measurement that must be spot on..

Do you mean wheel alignment? The mitsu shop had this already done like 3-4 times last year. It does not make a difference.

I cannot think of anything else as a problem and the mitsu shop isn't quite helpful.

Talking about a truck here. I thought I could no longer drive when my new truck kept doing this, in all sorts of conditions. I changed the tyres, solved the problem expensively.

Can it be easy like this? I recently started to drive with my wife's Mirage instead of the PJS because I cannot live with it anymore blink.png

"wobble at higher speeds" ??? do you mean vibration - that could be tire balance, but if balance is checked good and it still does it the tire can have internal damage - does the location of vibration move if you mount tire in other side of car or replace with full size spare. if not then a wobble or vibration could be any number of possible parts. If it is so bad you get over-steer when normal driving then you have a real problem like a track bar broken or missing.

There is an adjustment for settings of toe in or toe out on the front wheels. It must be SPOT ON for a particular ride or shit can happen....It is a minuscule measurement that must be spot on..

Camber is the other adjustment that if not right reduces the amount of tread on the road. I assume when a wheel alignment is done, toe, camber and balance are all done?

"wobble at higher speeds" ??? do you mean vibration - that could be tire balance, but if balance is checked good and it still does it the tire can have internal damage - does the location of vibration move if you mount tire in other side of car or replace with full size spare. if not then a wobble or vibration could be any number of possible parts. If it is so bad you get over-steer when normal driving then you have a real problem like a track bar broken or missing.

The car "wobbles" from one side to another starting at around 120km/h. It's not a vibration, or well, the vibration is in the steering wheel at this point.

That can happen with many different vehicles. My Ford Focus is probably the best handling vehicle I have ever owned. It is front wheel drive. One trip I was by myself. My wife wouldn't allow me to have any fun in the mountains. It is fun taking hairpin curves at maximum speed. I was quite shocked when the rear end broke loose. I got control back quickly but it was surprising and scary.

The car "wobbles" from one side to another starting at around 120km/h. It's not a vibration, or well, the vibration is in the steering wheel at this point.

Then it would be hard to say if it does it in straight line driving at speed and causes over steer in a corner without getting under the car or truck, but that sounds like something you better get fixed. A number of parts could cause the same effect, but the under steer part in a corner would tell me to start looking at the sway bar.

Car is 4WD PJS.

About 90% chance it's a faulty rear shock absorber then - it's a pretty common PJS fault. Have a look for tell tale signs of oil leakage on them...

BTW, the labels on your images are back to front - the top one is understeer, the bottom one is oversteer wink.png

Yep your pictures are wrong.

Tyres may look new but the rubber may have lost it's ability.

You may have weak side walled tyres. Whether through being cheap tyres or faulty.

It could be worn or loose suspension bushes or joints.

Worn out dampers.

Diff playing up ? check oil level.

bent axle.

rear brake shut off valve not working. Although I think you said you aren't braking.

bent or baldy installed - pretensioned anti-roll bar.

Loose/bent/worn bushes panhard rod. Is it Live rear axle or IRS ?

Does it have a rear subframe ? Loose/worn bushes ?

The previous model PJS definitely did not behave as the OP described when in normal condition. In addition to the suggested faults above, check the PJS is not in 4WD with locked center diff, 4HLc.

The Mitsu Superselect system in 2WD locks the center diff and disengages the front axle with a vacuum actuator. If the Front axle disconnect sticks you get locked 4WD, (4HLc) instead. The dash indicator may or may not show this. Dragging tyres and sticky steering on a long sharp turn on a loose surface at walking speed will show if this is the case.

Alternatively try driving in 4H (first position behind 2WD for the shift lever). This will make sure the center diff is unlocked.

I agree with RKSA. My first thought was your rear axle is not attached to the body. Could be heavily worn suspension bushes,broken mounting bolt etc. If its as bad as you make out,get straight to your local mechanic and get your suspension checked. It wont be hard to find

So, I am in the Mitsubishi shop and the mechanic advises me to use 2wd instead of "full time" 4wd. What a joke but classic.

It is nice to have so many advises here but how I can convince the mechanic to check any of those (e.g. check suspension parts)? I cannot because have -1 to 0 understanding of the car.

The things I could just easily do, buy new tires and buy new shock absorbers.

So, I am in the Mitsubishi shop and the mechanic advises me to use 2wd instead of "full time" 4wd. What a joke but classic.

It is nice to have so many advises here but how I can convince the mechanic to check any of those (e.g. check suspension parts)? I cannot because have -1 to 0 understanding of the car.

The things I could just easily do, buy new tires and buy new shock absorbers.

Get yourself under the rear of the car and look at the shock absorbers. Any signs of residual moisture indicates a failed unit.

If you want to ask the technician to inspect them, say:

Check shock lang dai mai krup?

Check and Shock are both loan words any tech will understand smile.png

In fact "check shock" with a pointed finger will probably do :D

My truck claims 27 in the front and 32 in the rear. It has the 245 radial. I know that is not enough pressure for the tire. Thais always put 45 in them. I put 40 to soften the ride and to keep them from breaking loose in heavy acceleration. I suspect what is in my door frame is for the low truck with the smaller tires.

My point is, whatever is in the door frame is not necessarily what is correct.

Archived