Clueless Pattaya visitors

toenail

In the process of booking a hotel on line for some friends coming to Pattaya (have not seen them for 15 years). I read some of the comments made by customers that had stayed in most of 4 star hotels along Beach Rd. I was amazed how many of these international visitors to Pattaya were clueless about Sin City or as I call it, Junk City. These comments came from couples or couples with children from various countries: United States; Singapore--can you imagine?; Malaysia; England; Australia, South Korea... that complained about the dirty beaches, the garbage laying around, the pollution from the tour buses, the seediness of the city and so on. I am assuming these are from well-educated people - don't they do research before booking a place? (or do they just judge Pattaya by its scenic beach shots doctored up by a photoshop application?) I remember over 20 years ago when my family and I wanted to escape to a beach after spending a few days in hectic Bangkok, I mentioned Pattaya to the travel agent and she kindly suggested it would not be the best place for a beach for families (not giving the details). Rayong or Hua Hin would be a better beach place for these four-star couples looking for a beach close to Bangkok. What a shock it must be for these kind of travelers coming to Pattaya.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like there are people who haven't heard about Pattaya before.

Difficult for me to put me in their position.

Spoilt by too many years with Thailand experience.

Maybe:

they study the travel brochures, likely all bright

they read the first non advert entry on Google for "Pattaya", which is the WiKi article.

This article proofs why WiKi is not the "complete wisdom of mankind" tongue.png

Two small chapters about crime and sex industry.

Reads like a sidenote.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattaya

The issues with the article have been identified though.

This article is written like a travel guide rather than an encyclopedic description of the subject.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Curious as to why you are looking at Pattaya for your group, as contrasted with some of the other places you mention, if you feel Pattaya has all the problems you describe.

-- I live in north Pattaya; my work is a 20 minute drive from here; thus, this is why my friends are coming to Pattaya. I live here.

Yet they still keep building 4, and 5, star hotels.

There must be a demand ?

Jip

I think it is simply the developers believe the TAT forecasts. With a billion plus people the Chinese could easily fill dozens of hotels in Pattaya. If only 1% of the Chinese visit Thailand, then that's 10 million people!.

I remember some years ago when this current guy first got elected as mayor. At that time there was a 'mission' statement to turn Pattaya into a high class resort. The plan involved slowly knocking down all the girle bars and pushing those that remain the other side of third road. From what I see on my infrequent visits into town, that is happening slowly.

Whether it's coincidence or not I don't know. One thing is sure, the 'image' of Pattaya to many westerners is going to take ages to change, if it can at all. The Chinese, I suspect, don't give a toss about image - even if Pattaya has one in China.

To me, the town is somewhere to shop occasionally and pay bills. I think it is a mess at the moment but maybe, in ten years, it could be transformed.

Have you never seen a bewildered looking Western married couple wandering around Pattaya looking in an utter state of shock?

The wife in a state of total horror, gripping the husband's hand a little tighter; scanning his eyes intently, lest they wander so much as an inch towards the content of a bar; the husband usually looking deep in thought thinking "How can I dump the missus for a few hours and nip out to check this out on my own?"

It's a common sight along the beach front.

I remember 10 years ago strolling down Walking Street with a friend and two scantily clad Go-Go girls recently rented from a nearby bar.

We passed 2 elderly couples from England and one of the women said to the other "Just look at those two dirty old men with those young girls".

The two men just looked at each other, and then at us and they had a look in their eyes that suggested they would like to change places! smile.png

I can't believe SAGA sold that holiday!

Curious as to why you are looking at Pattaya for your group, as contrasted with some of the other places you mention, if you feel Pattaya has all the problems you describe.

-- I live in north Pattaya; my work is a 20 minute drive from here; thus, this is why my friends are coming to Pattaya. I live here.

So why don't you find them a place along Naklua Rd? Not a lot of that sort of thing going on there. Those huge hotels they built for the Russians must have lots of vacancies.

I remember 10 years ago strolling down Walking Street with a friend and two scantily clad Go-Go girls recently rented from a nearby bar.

We passed 2 elderly couples from England and one of the women said to the other "Just look at those two dirty old men with those young girls".

The two men just looked at each other, and then at us and they had a look in their eyes that suggested they would like to change places! smile.png

Reminds me of when I took my very much younger Thai GF ( in her late 20s and had had a kid already, but looked like a teenager ) to Kanchanaburi on a tour. On the bus were 2 Aussie women that had made a point of talking to a single farang guy and ignoring me for the obvious reason. I could feel the hate vibe coming off them, so when we got off the bus in Bkk I said goodbye to them very loudly. Man, I was laughing fit to bust, inside. No doubt the guy was off to Nana or Cowboy that night.

biggrin.png

The trouble is that...Pattaya is advertised as a "Family Destination. Thailand wants families to come here? Several years ago, some daft woman in charge of TAT that was in a previous Gov that got punted - cant remember who was vaguely in charge at the time? Did a campaign in India to attract Indian families here for holidays.

Hence the sad sack Indian mum and granny sweating in a Sari pushing baby buggies along beach road behind some gormless dad wearing a long sleeve shirt, black dress trousers and black leather shoes with no socks.

As for the European guy walking down the Sois with the standard frumpy, middle aged granny wife, grey hairs coming through the blue rinse, with a face like thunder, there is no sadder sight.

Pattaya as we know is the sin city as seen every day like the sex in the toilet last week. They shag day and night for the money to buy things and it's not really a family place. I think Koh Samet or somewhere else is more family orientated.

I wouldn't want my family walking past 65yr old brit cuddling a 22 yr old trying to kiss her.blink.png

Edited by steven100

Pattaya as we know is the sin city as seen every day like the sex in the toilet last week. They shag day and night for the money to buy things and it's not really a family place. I think Koh Samet or somewhere else is more family orientated.

I wouldn't want my family walking past 65yr old brit cuddling a 22 yr old trying to kiss her.blink.png

Why not ? The kids should learn about their own future lifes when they hit 60. Edited by balo

The trouble is that...Pattaya is advertised as a "Family Destination. Thailand wants families to come here? Several years ago, some daft woman in charge of TAT that was in a previous Gov that got punted - cant remember who was vaguely in charge at the time? Did a campaign in India to attract Indian families here for holidays.

Hence the sad sack Indian mum and granny sweating in a Sari pushing baby buggies along beach road behind some gormless dad wearing a long sleeve shirt, black dress trousers and black leather shoes with no socks.

As for the European guy walking down the Sois with the standard frumpy, middle aged granny wife, grey hairs coming through the blue rinse, with a face like thunder, there is no sadder sight.

I can think of a few sadder ones. But I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

18 is a much better idea thumbsup.gif

I have read those reviews as well. It would seem that many tourists never return because the beach is so polluted, in fact it seems the main complaint. Im surprized (not) that this isnt being taken seriously by local business. Wouldnt expect city hall to care but surely the beach hotels would do something to protect their futures. As an aside, at low tide on the beach opposite the Hilton you can stand in the warm slimy water that is the overflow from the Hiltons toilets and restaurants, but they are one place thats doing well so I guess they dont care either.

Edited by phycokiller

SAGA - Sex And Games for the Aged. Clearly, Jip99, you must be too young to have received your introductory letter.

I have read those reviews as well. It would seem that many tourists never return because the beach is so polluted, in fact it seems the main complaint. Im surprized (not) that this isnt being taken seriously by local business. Wouldnt expect city hall to care but surely the beach hotels would do something to protect their futures. As an aside, at low tide on the beach opposite the Hilton you can stand in the warm slimy water that is the overflow from the Hiltons toilets and restaurants, but they are one place thats doing well so I guess they dont care either.

Why would the beach hotel managements care? The more outside the gates is offputting, the less likely the guests are to leave the grounds, thus eating at the hotel restaurants, shopping in the hotel arcade. They all provide a swimming pool, so no need to go to the beach anyway.

There is obviously a never ending supply of gullible western tourists that do no more research on Pattaya than look at the pictures in a travel brochure.

The beach polluted, LOL. Compared to the years of the great stink some 30 odd years ago, the sea now is pristine.

Why would the beach hotel managements care? The more outside the gates is offputting, the less likely the guests are to leave the grounds, thus eating at the hotel restaurants, shopping in the hotel arcade. They all provide a swimming pool, so no need to go to the beach anyway.

There is obviously a never ending supply of gullible western tourists that do no more research on Pattaya than look at the pictures in a travel brochure.

The beach polluted, LOL. Compared to the years of the great stink some 30 odd years ago, the sea now is pristine.

I was just posting the views of many people that have posted their reviews on websites, they wont be returning, might be a never ending supply but is it enough to fill the hotels, doesnt seem to be this year and can only get worse. Pattaya is a long way to travel for a hotel with a swimming pool.

I was just posting the views of many people that have posted their reviews on websites, they wont be returning, might be a never ending supply but is it enough to fill the hotels, doesnt seem to be this year and can only get worse. Pattaya is a long way to travel for a hotel with a swimming pool.

I don't get the swimming pool obsession myself, but it's real enough. I know someone that would only stay in an hotel with a pool, and most tourists seem to spend a very long time lying beside it. Crazy, barking world we live in, pay lots of money to sit by a pool thousands of miles away, when could go to Spain, if in Europe, or Florida if in the US.