Ministry of Education vows to urgently reform Thai education

webfact

Ministry of Education vows to urgently reform Thai education

BANGKOK, 12 January (NNT) – The Ministry of Education is pushing for education reform by urgently developing standards of teachers. The ministry stressed that teachers must be evaluated after they were trained.

Deputy Minister of Education M.D.Thirakiat Charoensetthasilp on Monday attended a meeting with the National Reform Council and National Legislative Assembly.

He informed the meeting that the ministry was steering its work to develop the country’s education, especially in terms of teachers’ development. Teachers as well as students who were studying to be teachers needed to be evaluated and there must be a system to assure teachers’ quality, said the deputy minister.

Meanwhile, Member of the National Reform Steering Assembly for Education Piyathida Praditthabathuka said all sides agreed to reform the country’s education in the same direction so that it was completed within the time frame set by the government.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-01-12 footer_n.gif

The ministry's year planner must have had ' mention education reform ' listed for Monday so that should do for a week, maybe a month or two.

If teacher evaluation was to be seriously conducted now there would be tens of thousands of vacancies.

Is this a repeat of a previous announcement, in case someone has forgotten. It will take years to implement this fully, training methods will have to be upgraded, new national curriculem, (including basic world history and geography [as mentioned in previous post]), retraining existing teachers, easing of work permits, so that native speakers can be employed as teaching assistants to Thai English teachers, etc. etc. This is a long term project, and we all know what happens to projects implemented by one set of trough feeders when a new set of trough feeders gain power. If parents want their children to educated properly, they will have to pay for it themselves (as many already do). This is leading to yet another social divide, the rich, the educated middle class and the badly educated poorer people. At least with the internet and apps on dumbphones English and other languages are readily available to all Thais, plus of course limited (by big bruvver) information as to the state of thw world outside of Thailand.

Same old BS, they never even bother to change the script showing the same energy they lack in actually trying to implement change.

As posted earlier this crap is churned out by calendar listing or when someone feels the need to be quoted saying something supposedly positive.

Just make a test, who can't pass it looses his/her job.....

And for vacancy's just stop the corruption. Where money is asked to become a teacher you kick the director out ASAP. Am i hardened? Nope, i'm fallang and that's how we do it back home.

Ah the weekly pointless education reform announcement.

As if cutting native English speakers, reducing classroom hours and forcing kids to prance about playgrounds in shows of nationalism isn't enough, now they've had the bright idea to assess their new teachers. Assessed on their ability to be good Thai citizens who can in turn keep the next generation of Thai citizens in the dark.

Nothing they say or do will truly improve Thailand's indoctrination system unless they completely overhaul the culture of the country at every level away from feudalism and nepotism, greng jai and deep manipulation of a peasant-slave population.

There is no hope in sight.

Six weeks ago they were bringing back 10,000 retired teachers because of a teacher shortage.

Reconciling this with teacher competency requirements should be an interesting dance.

By the way, the calendar contains only two items so far:

12 January - announce urgent program

24 December - announce program success

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if the next news consists of:

- a committee is formed

- a planning meeting is conducted

- a 3-phase plan is formulated

- The 3 phases are described as "beginning phase", "middle phase", and "ending phase".

- and no news after that (until 24 Dec that is!).

Ah the weekly pointless education reform announcement.

As if cutting native English speakers, reducing classroom hours and forcing kids to prance about playgrounds in shows of nationalism isn't enough, now they've had the bright idea to assess their new teachers. Assessed on their ability to be good Thai citizens who can in turn keep the next generation of Thai citizens in the dark.

Nothing they say or do will truly improve Thailand's indoctrination system unless they completely overhaul the culture of the country at every level away from feudalism and nepotism, greng jai and deep manipulation of a peasant-slave population.

There is no hope in sight.

No hope and no longer really care what the place does or dosnt do anymore.

Place gets what it deserves and it gets the leaders and civil service it deserves.

They have a window on the rest of the world,they can choose to put up with the carp they are fed here or do something about it.... i long since came to the conclusion the vast majority of Thais educated or not are just not interested enough, in anything really other than having fun,eating and talking about having fun and eating,and expect the money to just roll in no matter how bad the product or service.

Oh and they nearly all act like perpetual spoiled brat teens throughout their lives..especially the cretins in uniform.

OK having a bad day with the locals trying to get a simple task done.... you know how those days can be here, ill be fine tomorrow.

It is apparent that the education ministry is staffed in large part by individuals who are results of the Thai education system. Thus no change will be forthcoming under their watch.

As already mentioned, they are getting what they deserve for the most part. Its just a shame that a country of 70million to chose from, the bulk of those who work outside Thailand are doing menial jobs, for the most part, cleaning, housekeeping etc. I won''t mention the occupation the female are sought for as their education would not be considered formal.

For substantial change to happen the MOE need to do one thing, just one!

And that is to get rid of the "no fail" policy. This is a situation were the students pass every exam or test, even if they didn't. The no fail process should be. Take test pass/fail. Fail, take retest pass/fail. Fail, do remedial work, take retest and pass. Three tests in total.. Unfortunately many teachers don't have time or inclinenation to give and mark remedial work. So after the third test the student gets minimum passing score! Get rid of "no fail"

For substantial change to happen the MOE need to do one thing, just one!

And that is to get rid of the "no fail" policy. This is a situation were the students pass every exam or test, even if they didn't. The no fail process should be. Take test pass/fail. Fail, take retest pass/fail. Fail, do remedial work, take retest and pass. Three tests in total.. Unfortunately many teachers don't have time or inclinenation to give and mark remedial work. So after the third test the student gets minimum passing score! Get rid of "no fail"

I agree with you that they should get rid of it, but that is not the one and only magic trick....

Since i got here i have seen teachers take money / payments for grades,

teachers selling photocopies of books for profit.

collecting money in class to bring temple, (up to you, you dont have to give, but i mark down who do not give, remember your grades!)

Forcing students to attend sport or other arrangement that has nothing to do with teaching subject, in exchange give points towards grades

"Unfortunately many teachers don't have time or inclinenation to give and mark remedial work"

Most of the time i see the teachers using senior students to check and mark the younger s work....

my experiences is from universities so i cant speak about the other schools, but i can only guess....

i have not seen anything so bad in years....

urgent reform is needed but i doubt they actually will do more than shake the tree a little

wai2.gif

Our teachers, including the Thais, are evaluated twice a year. If they like you, you will get a positive evaluation; if they don't, you won't.

The criteria has little to do with classroom performance or outcomes in the classroom (student performance). It has to do with having all your books, notebooks and workbooks checked and that the ticking in the books is neat. Classroom management is another big issue.

Thailand is based on a hierarchical society and how much deference to those in power will determine your worth.

As far as directors go, I find that many pay little attention to anything having to do with academics or teaching. They are busy making sure that the grounds are well tended, bushes trimmed, grass cut and other things having to do with the physical facilities.

Archived