Taxi Jomtien -> Which Starting Time, Which Service?

henrik2000

Hello, i need a taxi from Jomtien to Don Meuang airport. The flight starts on a weekday at 14:00 with Nok Air. I wonder about the starting time in Jomtien and about the place to book the taxi.

My guesthouse does not do taxi bookings, but a few outlets in my soi offer taxi bookings. The simplest car is enough for me (1 pax + reg. luggage).

My idea is to book at an outlet close to my guesthouse, because they will feel responsible and will be approachable if the taxi isn't there on time (and they can describe the exact location of my guesthouse)(which is not difficult). This means i would not book with a service online or an office further away, even if that would save 100 Baht. Is that a good policy?

Next question what time to start in Jomtien? I really dislike downtime at the airport, but then i don't want to miss the plane. I have no experience on this route, but i have experience with services offering airport taxis - they suggest a very very early starting time, so you will be there much too early and they will not get complaints about late arrival.

What would be a realistic starting time in Jomtien? Of course i want the taxi to take the tollway and will pay for this. I guess it's included anyway.

Thanks for your ideas!

PS.

Sorry, the missing word "Don Meuang" obviously cannot be added any more to the headline.

Edited by henrik2000

I suggest you use the bus instead. The bus which departs from Jomtien bus station leaves every hour (travel time 2 hrs.) and terminates at Suwanaphum Airport. You can make an advance reservation up to 2 days in advance. From Suwanaphum, I understand there is now a shuttle bus to Don Meuang Airport. I have never used this myself, so don't know the frequency of service. I would guess the travel time to be about 1 hr. You might search online, or wait for others to reply here.

A lot cheaper, and no worries about taxi drivers not appearing on time.

I would also take the hourly Jomtien bus to BKK and then carry on from there either on a shuttle bus or a local taxi.

http://suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/122-transfer-bus-between-suvarnabhumi-don-muaeng

As far as I know most of these taxi stalls here actually only resell other taxi services anyway and dont have their own vehicles (rather like the many places that do visa runs). So if you really want to pay that much for a direct trip it's probably best to just use Mr T or one of other names that is regularly mentioned on here.

I suggest you use the bus instead. The bus which departs from Jomtien bus station leaves every hour (travel time 2 hrs.) and terminates at Suwanaphum Airport. You can make an advance reservation up to 2 days in advance. From Suwanaphum, I understand there is now a shuttle bus to Don Meuang Airport. I have never used this myself, so don't know the frequency of service. I would guess the travel time to be about 1 hr. You might search online, or wait for others to reply here.

A lot cheaper, and no worries about taxi drivers not appearing on time.

Could you suggest an even longer route to take? he wants to spend minimum time at the airport, so your suggesting take a bus to another airport, hunt around till you find another bus to go to the airport he wants airport that is the other side of the city!!!

OP google MrT taxi Pattaya and call him, I think its B1500 to DM, very reliable, no hassle, and what ever he charges will be the correct fee

Well actually theres a shuttlebus leaving every 15 minutes to Don Muang , so the bus from Jomtien will not slow you down. If you travel light the bus is the best option.

What would be a realistic starting time in Jomtien? Of course i want the taxi to take the tollway and will pay for this. I guess it's included anyway.

14h on a weekday?

You should plan to arrive 13h at the airport.

If not hell breaks loose, a starting time of 10:30h with the taxi would be generous.

Bus:

I did similar trips with the bus/bus combination for departure of 13:40h.

The bus to Suvarnabhumi is usually below 2h (1:40h / 1:50h).

Free shuttle bus from Suv. to Don Mueang takes about an hour (goes all on tollway).

You could use the 10h bus.

(I used 9h for my schedule and had plenty of time to waste)

Edited by KhunBENQ

Hi all, thanks for your suggestions including links and travel times! Well i didn't make clear that my luggage is quite heavy (had to buy extra kilos for the Nok flight) and i really don't want to heave this from vehicle to vehicle around mid-day. Since the downswing of the/my economy, i do economize on lodging, fine dining and cocktails, but i find it justified to invest in a taxi in this case that will bring me and my luggage from door to door in one smooth go.

The taxi will also give me 2,5 hrs continuous working or reading time where concentration is quite possible, while the combo of 3 transports by busses etc. will not allow much concentration.

I contacted three taxi outlets in my Jomtien soi. One was clearly the most competent and also the cheapest at 1700 THB incl. highway (they said the highway fee was 210 THB). When i booked there, the booth lady said she would probably drive herself, or else her colleague. I had to pay 200 THB deposit and the receipt contained the phone numbers of both potential drivers.

So in this case the taxi booth was not a reseller. The other booths i contacted were resellers who actually had to make phone calls in order to tell me the taxi price to Don Meuang, even though they advertise airport taxis. Maybe Don Meuang destinations are not often visited by Jomtienites.

I still have to make the taxi trip itself.

Bahtboy, wrong :) I used a taxi booth at pak soi Welcome. That service may also be run by a couple, anyway a lady and a man are the main actors (vendors as well as drivers). (Anyway good to know about the other service in soi 7.)

Now i had the taxi trip itself and everything went extremely smooth and surpriseless. The driver also called me 15 minutes before departure, which was a nice reassurance (maybe he needed reassurance from me too). I rented cars from Sixt and Budget on two occasions recently (international companies, right?), and their local staff was a chicken pen by comparison (oodles of Thai cuteness, but unefficient to uncapable).

Not only was the airport taxi service smooth and efficient, the traffic played along and travel time from Jomtien to Don Meuang was exactly 2:00 hours (as suggested above, i had calculated 2,5 hours).

Now i just wonder if my price of 1700 THB all-in was a little high, but i didn't see a better quote written (but got other quotes of 1800 and 2000 in my soi). Still i wanted a service that has agents in my soi itself so that i could talk to them in case the taxi wouldn't come. I had booked a Taxi-Meter (the cheapest category), but got a midrange private car with velours instead of plastic seats, which i liked. The driver moved very focused, but never scary or hectical. He didn't start a conversation, even though he knew i speak some Thai (some local Bkk taxi drivers can yakk your ear off, once you say one phrase in Thai); he didn't play any music and made some phonecalls with very low voice, almost unnoticable. I also could work very well in that car, using the back bench as mousepad for a simple graphic job (another advantage over the busses combo, together with the shorter travel time and the general ease).