Al Jazeera America to shut down cable news channel

webfact

Al Jazeera America to shut down cable news channel

LONDON: -- Al Jazeera America will shut down its cable news channel despite spending heavily to break into the US market.

CEO Al Anstey said the business model "is simply not sustainable in light of the economic challenges".

Al Jazeera America launched in 2013 vowing to be a more serious and in-depth alternative to CNN and Fox News.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35299367

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2016-01-14

Surprise, surprise. Such a shock that Americans don't want to watch a Muslim TV network.

"Fox News Channel is home to the Top 14 cable news shows among total viewers for July 2015. FNC has now had the Top 14 shows for 17 consecutive months.

FNC also has eight of the Top 10 in the key A25-54 demo."

Link

Goooooo CNN, MSNBC and Al Jazeera. coffee1.gif

cheesy.gif

Edited by NeverSure

I occasionally watched AJ and found it to be good reporting, until it came to the ME situation and then things seemed to be a little skewed. Not that others aren't skewed, but there claim to be unbiased just didn't quite hold up.

Used to watch it a bit as it was about all I could get on true, and the Japanese and Australian networks. Aljazeera is little more than anti USA and Israeli and pro Palestinian propaganda, often in the crudest laughable terms. They do the odd interesting documentary on the poor or womens rights around the world but when it comes to Islamic states - nothing, never a mention of all their human rights records and never ever anything about Saudi.

Edited by jacky54

I occasionally watched AJ and found it to be good reporting, until it came to the ME situation and then things seemed to be a little skewed. Not that others aren't skewed, but there claim to be unbiased just didn't quite hold up.

I agree , if you switched off anything to do with the Middle East it was pretty good, you can expect that since the $$$$$ was coming from the Gulf states

But its also nice to hear another side of an issue so you know their thinking , same as listening to Rush on the other side :)

The name also killed it , even Al Jazeera English would have been better,

That is much the way that I felt. I enjoy their reporting on other parts of the world, but never trusted their reporting on the Middle East. They had lots of staff quit that said they often lied.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Used to watch it a bit as it was about all I could get on true, and the Japanese and Australian networks. Aljazeera is little more than anti USA and Israeli and pro Palestinian propaganda, often in the crudest laughable terms. They do the odd interesting documentary on the poor or womens rights around the world but when it comes to Islamic states - nothing, never a mention of all their human rights records and never ever anything about Saudi.

Likely is bias in some reporting, but...

Stories covering problems in KSA by Al Jazerra America, a few examples...

"All the convictions were obtained through unfair trials marred by human and civil rights violations, including in some cases torture, forced confessions and lack of access to counsel"

http://america.aljazeera.com/opinions/2015/12/saudi-arabia-uses-terrorism-as-an-excuse-for-human-rights-abuses.html

"Amnesty International, one of the groups which reported Badawi’s detention on Tuesday, called it “the latest example of Saudi Arabia’s utter contempt for its human rights obligations and provides further damning proof of the authorities’ intent to suppress all signs of peaceful dissent.”

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2016/1/13/Activists-say-saudi-arabia-detains-samar-badawi.html

AJ America did cover Human Rights Watch, AI and others critique of abuses in places such as Pakistan & other Sunni majority countries.

Edited by simple1

Surprise, surprise. Such a shock that Americans don't want to watch a Muslim TV network.

"Fox News Channel is home to the Top 14 cable news shows among total viewers for July 2015. FNC has now had the Top 14 shows for 17 consecutive months.

FNC also has eight of the Top 10 in the key A25-54 demo."

Link

Goooooo CNN, MSNBC and Al Jazeera. coffee1.gif

cheesy.gif

At least Al Gore walked away from the scene of the crime with his bag of filthy lucre intact.

Americans much prefer their Faux News.

There are many nights and many shows where Fox News has more viewers than all of the rest of the cable news channels combined. Their viewers are likely to vote.

They are of course denigrated by the communists and fascists on TVF, but that doesn't stop them from dominating cable in the US.

Cheers.

I agree , if you switched off anything to do with the Middle East it was pretty good, you can expect that since the $$$$$ was coming from the Gulf states

Actually just coming from the Al Thanis, but unfortunately they're a bit strapped for cash right now - down to their last few billions.

But on the bright side, Fox are about to tell their viewers "what really happened in Benghazi", because apparently 8 investigations and a few million dollars worth of paperwork have revealed nothing.

tongue.png

Edited by Chicog

There are many nights and many shows where Fox News has more viewers than all of the rest of the cable news channels combined. Their viewers are likely to vote.

They are of course denigrated by the communists and fascists on TVF, but that doesn't stop them from dominating cable in the US.

Cheers.

It's run by religious lunatics

That is much the way that I felt. I enjoy their reporting on other parts of the world, but never trusted their reporting on the Middle East. They had lots of staff quit that said they often lied.

They were ordered to promote an Israel demonizing agenda and they followed orders.

They were ordered to promote an Israel demonizing agenda and they followed orders.

Actually Qatar has been criticised heavily by the OIC and others for its attempts at establishing trade and political links with Israel. They even opened an Israeli trade office in Doha, but unfortunately were pressured into closing it during the Al Aqsa intifada.

Rumours are that they still engage in regular, constructive discourse via back channels.

I guess you don't remember something called 9/11 . Americans has long good memories, of what the people who own this station did, in 2001 !

Maybe you should google it. It is not about Faux News.

Perhaps you are right about those Americans that watch news, vast majority of Americans don't watch the news, any news unless maybe sports scores.

At best FOXS doesn't get 10% of Americans watching at all during any particular day.

Americans only want to hear one side of a story so they watch Fox News. Al Jazeera will give you a different perspective which is always good.

I think you are wildly exaggerating that. I'm American and do watch Fox News just to see what the right wing people are eating. I also watch AJ and BBC in Thailand. Then there are many other news sources online. Not to mention THE DAILY SHOW which is a huge primary source of news for younger Americans. I think the influence of Fox is overrated. If it was so overwhelming, Obama wouldn't have been elected TWICE.

Edited by Jingthing

The real problem with most American News shows- it is not about News- it is all about money. One has to first be an entertainer rather than a news person. The station owners simply do not care whether one gets the straight information or not. they want to make sure the masses are entertained and watch the commercials so the bosses can add to their huge bank accounts. The last real news person in America was Dan Rather and the political powers got him off the air over a story he ran on President Bush. The story was absolutely true but the owners forced him out. American capitalism is undoubtedly filled with some of the most vicious and vile people the World has ever known. I would rather listen to Al Jazeera so I can form my own opinion rather than some of the absolute lies promoted as truth on Fox or CNN.