Police

leighd7

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, ahm, here I am back in the Thai Visa Forum that I know and love, where there's no extra charge for vitriol, even when it's up-sized!

When I first started riding motorcycles here in 2010, my Australian motorcycle licence had expired - that didn't stop me from commuting each week 100 km up the road towards Phrae. The one and only time I got stopped in about 40 of those trips was somewhere along the highway and the conversation went like this (and this was one conversation where I made no attempt to speak Thai):

Hello.

Hello.
Where you going.

Chiang Mai.

Bye bye.

Bye!

I always wore a helmet, so maybe they thought I had a licence, too. Or maybe it was the language problem. Another copper once pulled me over, saw who I was, said to his mate (not to me), "Mai au farang!" and waved me on.

When I've been stopped more recently, it's been a lot more professional: the policeman looked at both my (now current) Australian driver's/motorcycle licence, and my IDP. He even took a photo of the Australian licence, glanced at the (also current) rego, and then let go on my way.

I've always had valid documentation and no attempt to extort - yet.

If OPS license is correct please answer how long have you been using international license in Thailand?

Thailand only allows you to use international for 90 days after arrival.

Not true British License and International Driving Permit is valid for one year.

With this you can apply for a Thai license without taking any Test.

Just letter from Doctor

And proof of residency.

You are permitted to use that IDP in conjunction with your British licence on a Tourist Visa (or Visa exempt stamp) for up to 90 days in that 1 year validity.

But thats a little beside the point - It does appear that the Op was targeted because he was a foreigner and viewed a weak target.

The Op knew his paper work was in order and stood his ground. If every foreigner stands their ground when they know they are correct there would be less targeting.

That said, the reason the BiB target foreigners is because so many flout the law and make themselves easy and rewarding targets !

OP: Get a Thai Motorcycle licence - it will strengthen your case in any future stops.

If the op was targeted as you say because he is a foreigner how did the police know he was a foreigner in the first place if he was wearing the correct equipment plus helmet how did they know.

I was just going to ask the same question. I passed a motorbike stop one time, and the police were stopping every bike except mine, I always wondered why that was.

Obviously, all was not correct, because the OP was relying on an IDP being recognized for longer than its 90 day validity in Thailand.

And "30 years experience"?

In all those years, someone should have gotten a proper Thai license......

You're Welcome!! smile.png

This crybaby is probably one of those expats that got his IDP off the internet.That used to confuse the police up country for a while.May be they will take his bike the next time.I hope.

The License was correct International drive bike or car.

No more silly questions.

They try to pull a fast one.

When they had the choice to take it to the station and make it official.

They threw the paper work out.

They were only after money.

Full stop..........

This OP is the good guy here, why does he not have the right to be upset? Would you all be so cocky if you were the victim, I won't give them money either!

If the OP has been in country for more than 90 days, driving on his home country license backed by an IDP then perhaps the police were correct.

But the only way the police could tell this is if his passport was checked.

If the above is correct (the OP being here for longer than 90 days), parhaps he should consider himself lucky instead of ranting about the license issue.

I remember when I visited UK back in the 1980's, I got a UK car license that is valid until I turn 65yo. ( paper license and I still have it).

an IDP in itself is valid for 1yr before it needs to be re-newed.

However, in most countries ---the local law is that you can only drive on a foreign license ( supported by a IDP) for a MAXIMUM of 3 mths. After that time you are legally required to obtain a local driving license.

If OPS license is correct please answer how long have you been using international license in Thailand?

Not true British License and International Driving Permit is valid for one year.

Just letter from Doctor

And proof of residency.

IDP is valid for a year but officially Thailand only accepts it for your first 90 days, after that you are supposed to get a TDL, which is super easy if you have IDP.

I witnessed them immediately as they set up a moving checkpoint around 00:15 in Front of Thapae Maccas (walking). I think it was last Saturday. A guy in a pick-up saw the same and pulled over kind of right before Stawbucks trying to wait it out. Cop saw him but he refused to exit vehicle until about 5 more lawmen showed. Meanwhile about 5 people on bikes pulled just behind, Obviously trying to evade. (If they did not have sauce on the breath they would have kept going, no?) Cops marched the pickup driver over to the table and within about 15 minutes the checkpoint was gone and the bikes went too. If you tried this in any normal place it would be all Flashing lights and billy-clubs. In US probably manhandled or killed.

Amazing Thailand and Amazing how LAZY and incompetent these guys are.

Edited by arunsakda

International license is ONLY valid when your driving a motorbike IF your valid home license is ALSO is valid for motorbike...If you only have a car license from your home, then you are NOT allowed to drive a motorbike, legally.

Personally I've never had a problem. Routinely get stopped at the check point on the Thapae side of Narawat Bridge. Last time I got stopped, I kept the conversation in Thai as I was pulling out my paperwork. The BIB who waved me over asked how long I lived in CM. I said about 8 year, and he gave my a 'Mai bpen rai", smiled, and waved me through. But, your mileage may vary.

Just letter from Doctor

And proof of residency.

Even though your UK drivers license and International Drivers Permit are valid for 1 year, most comprehensive insurance will become void after 90 days, unless you hold a Thai drivers license.

And I believe the IDP is only given for licences you curently have, therefore you cannot possibly have an IDP with motorcycle endorsed on it unless you have a full motorcycle in your home country.

As I had a 'restricted' motorcycle licence in NZ there is no way that the AA (Being an authorised outlet) would let me get an IDP with both car and motorcycle endorsements.

However (As already written in the pinned Drivers Licence topic) I was able to secure a Thai licence for both car and motorcycle relatively easily. The Thai system doesnt not have a graduated licence for morotcycle riders, which is possibly why there are so many accidents involving bike riders.

As an aside the NZ licence system changed a while ago in regards to motorcycles. Before a restricted bike licence allowed one to ride a bike upto 250cc, now its all to do with power output/horsepower and the bike must be no bigger than 660cc.

Murphys law being what it is, Ive seen several of the police checkpoints but now they dont bother to stop me! When I was running around on just the NZ licence I got caught twice in the same week leading up to the ban of such checkpoints!

This morning in Mae Rim they had a checkpoint just before the new Don Kaew underpass. But they werent checking bikes...it was pickup trucks and busses. Maybe after a fugitive or some drug runners?

International license is ONLY valid when your driving a motorbike IF your valid home license is ALSO is valid for motorbike...If you only have a car license from your home, then you are NOT allowed to drive a motorbike, legally.

Correct, this is the law. And although people from Europe will most likely find that travel insurance policies don't cover motorcycle riding at all, it is allowed on Australian policies, and every year many Australians find out the expensive way that breaking the law = insurance deny the claim.

Theyve also been doing lots of checks on 2nd road and Beach Road in Pattaya lately, road blocks

Good for them. Tourists on motobikes & some of the more geriatric expats rival motorbike taxi drivers themselves for crazy speed down narrow sois chock-full of pedestrians, vendor carts, and stopped trucks, and for recklessness generally. And can't believe there aren't more bike-on-pedestrian incidents on 2nd Rd. The more checkpoints the better.

A couple of aspects scooter riders should be aware of:

I've had the registration sticker on my scooter stolen twice at my condo. I took to carrying it under the seat. Was pulled over by a cop who let me off, but explained the sticker must be on display.

A friend of mine was fined for having the support pegs for a pillion passenger sticking out. The pegs are supposed to be folded in when travelling alone.

I think the most lucrative source of revenue for the police must be those not wearing helmets, easy pickings. 200 baht for a Thai, 500 baht for a falang. No problem with that.

If you mean the road tax there is no regulation to have it attached to bike you must have it on you but it does not need to be on bike. Re the fines 200Bht here in Khon Kaen thai or farang been stopped twice both times no helmet both times 200Bht.

Theyve also been doing lots of checks on 2nd road and Beach Road in Pattaya lately, road blocks

Good for them. Tourists on motobikes & some of the more geriatric expats rival motorbike taxi drivers themselves for crazy speed down narrow sois chock-full of pedestrians, vendor carts, and stopped trucks, and for recklessness generally. And can't believe there aren't more bike-on-pedestrian incidents on 2nd Rd. The more checkpoints the better.

I usualy find its the non native drivers that are the most dangerous on the back Soi's most natives are well used to drunk tourists and silly old men on motorbikes.

If you mean the road tax there is no regulation to have it attached to bike you must have it on you but it does not need to be on bike. Re the fines 200Bht here in Khon Kaen thai or farang been stopped twice both times no helmet both times 200Bht.

Presumably that's why he let me off. I did explain in Thai a thief had taken the sticker twice, just wonder how prevalent sticker theft ( to save the 450 baht/year ) is.

It's 500 baht for a falang in CM, bear that in mind if you come here.

Presumably that's why he let me off. I did explain in Thai a thief had taken the sticker twice, just wonder how prevalent sticker theft ( to save the 450 baht/year ) is.

It's 500 baht for a falang in CM, bear that in mind if you come here.

Cheers just silly me both times I've had helmet with me took of for shopping and just hop back on bike and away. I'll learn one day

I've had the registration sticker on my scooter stolen twice at my condo. I took to carrying it under the seat. Was pulled over by a cop who let me off, but explained the sticker must be on display.

A friend of mine was fined for having the support pegs for a pillion passenger sticking out. The pegs are supposed to be folded in when travelling alone.

I think the most lucrative source of revenue for the police must be those not wearing helmets, easy pickings. 200 baht for a Thai, 500 baht for a falang. No problem with that.

I display a color copy of my registration card and keep the real one in my wallet if I ever need it- I had someone steal mine years ago and I've been doing this since then and haven't had a problem.

Just letter from Doctor

And proof of residency.

But is that for a car or motorbike?

I use one of those plastic tubes that screw onto the side of the license plate for my sticker, but I put a dab of epoxy over the screw heads and threads. Once a year I have to use a pocket butane lighter to burn off the epoxy when I want to change stickers .... it only takes 45-60 seconds to do it. No thief would spend that much time when there are so many easier ones to be had.

Plus the sticker/road tax thingy has your vehicles plate number on it. What use is that to the numb nuts that steals it?

Yes I know, it doesnt help matters when youre the one missing the sticker/tax disc.

Those tubes are good value and keep your bike clean too. No sticky residue from old adhesive patches to worry about.

Edited by CMKiwi

Plus the sticker/road tax thingy has your vehicles plate number on it. What use is that to the numb nuts that steals it?

Yes I know, it doesnt help matters when youre the one missing the sticker/tax disc.

Those tubes are good value and keep your bike clean too. No sticky residue from old adhesive patches to worry about.

The cops only look at the Buddha year date, they don't check the rego on the sticker against the number plate, print is a lot smaller.

Getting some useful hints on prevention.clap2.gif

I see checks virtually every day in BKK, no evidence that foreigners are being targeted. The only complaint I have is that the offenders are being let off with a "fine". Is it so different elsewhere?

But your not elsewhere this is there rules live with it

I see checks virtually every day in BKK, no evidence that foreigners are being targeted. The only complaint I have is that the offenders are being let off with a "fine". Is it so different elsewhere?

It often "LOOKS" different in Chiang Mai, as it's a tourist town, so many of the people stopped are foreigners who think the laws don't apply to them. But the facts are, the cops are equal-opportunity stoppers... When there is a check point close to tourist attractions or on streets that lead to them, many of the people stopped will be foreign. When the check points are on streets where few foreigners travel, 99.99% of the people stopped are local Thais. It seems that many people who post here believe the police are targeting them simply because they are farang, yet continue their post describing the various violations for which they get ticketed...

Although I've been stopped many times, I've never had a police officer 'hunt for infractions.' I wear a helmet, my bike tax sticker is in plain sight, and as soon as I show a Thai driver's license I'm waved through. Case closed.

As stated above by folk guitar , in Udon Thani I have been stopped numerous times . I show my Thai bike license and am waved on my way . There has never appeared to be any discrimination..............all are stopped ( except those that spot the checkpoint and do a quick u turn).

My only concern is where they put some of these checkpoints. Have seen one on the north side of the ring road ( conveniently right outside a highway patrol office) and noticed many near rear end collisions ( and a few actual hits) when traffic has to suddenly slow down . Also same thing when the checkpoint is at a major intersection in town with traffic then backing up right across the intersection blocking all traffic.

Just letter from Doctor

And proof of residency.

You are permitted to use that IDP in conjunction with your British licence on a Tourist Visa (or Visa exempt stamp) for up to 90 days in that 1 year validity.

But thats a little beside the point - It does appear that the Op was targeted because he was a foreigner and viewed a weak target.

The Op knew his paper work was in order and stood his ground. If every foreigner stands their ground when they know they are correct there would be less targeting.

That said, the reason the BiB target foreigners is because so many flout the law and make themselves easy and rewarding targets !

OP: Get a Thai Motorcycle licence - it will strengthen your case in any future stops.

If the op was targeted as you say because he is a foreigner how did the police know he was a foreigner in the first place if he was wearing the correct equipment plus helmet how did they know.

Surely your taking the pizz!!!