First Trip to Ko Chang...Driving and Hotel Advice?

OMGImInPattaya

So I'm planning my first trip to Ko Chang and intend to drive. Are the main roads on the island mostly sealed tarmac and in decent condition? I'll be in a 4x4 SUV but still don't want any treacherous driving conditions. Is it lots of p and over mountains on narrow country roads or are the main roads from the piers to the larger resorts on the western side on double-lane roads?

Also, I'm looking at the Centara Tropicana Resort or the Amari Emerald Cove as places to stay. Between the two, is there any reason to choose one over the other? The price range is similar and they're both in the same general area of the western beach side of the island.

Thanks for any replies.

I find the roads OK if a little narrow and winding in my regular saloon car so you should be fine in a 4x4, the first hill when you get out from the ferry is abit steep and some times overloaded tour van's get stuck so hang back a bit if you are behind one of those.

I have not stayed at any of the resorts you mention but have stayed near by at 'chang park resort' and the beach was pretty nice but it was kinda quiet in the evenings, but good if you want a quiet break.

If you want a little more nightlife in the evenings I like the Lonely beach area. White sands beach area also has some nightlife.

I've stayed at the Emerald Cove 8 times. Staff are fantastic, the 50 meter lap pool is awesome, and there is also a Jacuzzi pool and kids pool. The mountain-facing rooms are about half the price as sea-facing rooms. Other than the view from the balcony, the rooms are identical. Hence, I usually book a mountain-facing room and enjoy sea views from the Pool Bar with Long Island Iced Teas for 141 baht during the 4-6 PM happy hour (50% off). However, on my last visit I received a complementary upgrade because I stay there so often. Another time, I received a complementary upgrade because the in-room internet wasn't working. For your birthday, the hotel provides a generous complementary personalized piece of birthday cake!

The resort is beautifully landscaped and magnificently lit at night.

The property was recently sold to Marriott by Amari, so I hope nothing changes (especially the off-season prices).

A few of my photos of the lap pool and room22874413491_eef884f60b_b.jpg

22849763622_9a24a994d2_b.jpg

Here's a balcony view from a sea view room

22874414791_b50bbe6141_b.jpg

Being a crazy MF, I've often ridden there on my motorcycle and have thus far managed to avoid accidents, sometimes just barely. Accidents are very common. Roads can be treacherous at the northern and southern ends, but not so bad in the middle. It's not that the roads are in poor condition, there are S-turns up steep inclines in the north and a sharp hairpin turn to the south (near Lonely Beach). Mudslides are also common.

Here's one last shot, a frozen mango daiquiri at the Pool Bar. Enjoy.

21808020749_e632696a3f_b.jpg

I've stayed at the Emerald Cove 8 times. Staff are fantastic, the 50 meter lap pool is awesome, and there is also a Jacuzzi pool and kids pool. The mountain-facing rooms are about half the price as sea-facing rooms. Other than the view from the balcony, the rooms are identical. Hence, I usually book a mountain-facing room and enjoy sea views from the Pool Bar with Long Island Iced Teas for 141 baht during the 4-6 PM happy hour (50% off). However, on my last visit I received a complementary upgrade because I stay there so often. Another time, I received a complementary upgrade because the in-room internet wasn't working. For your birthday, the hotel provides a generous complementary personalized piece of birthday cake!

The resort is beautifully landscaped and magnificently lit at night.

The property was recently sold to Marriott by Amari, so I hope nothing changes (especially the off-season prices).

A few of my photos of the lap pool and room22874413491_eef884f60b_b.jpg

22849763622_9a24a994d2_b.jpg

Here's a balcony view from a sea view room

22874414791_b50bbe6141_b.jpg

Being a crazy MF, I've often ridden there on my motorcycle and have thus far managed to avoid accidents, sometimes just barely. Accidents are very common. Roads can be treacherous at the northern and southern ends, but not so bad in the middle. It's not that the roads are in poor condition, there are S-turns up steep inclines in the north and a sharp hairpin turn to the south (near Lonely Beach). Mudslides are also common.

Here's one last shot, a frozen mango daiquiri at the Pool Bar. Enjoy.

21808020749_e632696a3f_b.jpg

Yeah Camble, your posting these pics and description of your stay at the Emerald in another thread on Ko Chang is what put me onto the place ☺ Unfortunately, for stays in March, I can't find anything for less than 3k per nite...not your 1500 ?

It does look like a very nice property...I wonder why Amari sold it?

Driving to Koh Chang is very easy... but a little timely due to the ferry crossing... Sometimes is depends on how you time it.

The Western Side of the Island from the Ferry down to the very south of the Island is tarmac, the road with generally allows two cars to pass, but in places requires one car to stop and wait.

The hills are very steep and sometimes cresting them you are left with a view of the sky & trees until continued tentative forward movement brings the road back into view !...

There are a few switchbacks which are very tight.

In dry weather the roads are absolutely fine.

In wet weather some cars may have a little difficulty spinning wheels on the steep hill - you'll have no issues at all in a 4x4.

Other loaded vehicles may have difficulty on some of the hills when loaded - Hang back and give other motorists in front of you space.

Motorbikes could be difficult and slippery in the wet on the steep hills and combined steep switchbacks - a healthy level of experience required I'd say.

Accommodation: Looks nice - a Good advert for Emerald Cove which may have me returning to Koh Chang as well !!!!

It’s worth mentioning there are two car ferry companies services to Koh Chang from piers on the mainland.

‘Ferry Koh Chang’ (white and blue coloured) and leaves from Ao Thammachat . This ferry as the shortest crossing and takes around 30 minutes to make the journey. The facilities when using this ferry service seem infinitely better than the alternative which is centrepoint ferry.

‘Centrepoint Ferry’ which vessels that now seem too old (green coloured) runs from a pier about 5Km away near the village of Laem Ngop. It takes 45 minutes to 1 hour .

post-149848-0-26238800-1453015431_thumb.

post-149848-0-85235900-1453015458_thumb.

Edited by Asiantravel

The Cathedral of The Immaculate Conception in Chanthaburi, about 55 km from the Koh Chang Ferry pier, was built in 1909 by Vietnamese immigrants.

24353406301_b7774a7b16_b.jpg

It's not the only attraction in Chanthaburi

24327602772_579cb705bf_b.jpg

I know which "house of worship" is for me...and here and I was planning a few relaxing days on the beach away from Pattaya and you put me onto this...I guess one can take the boy out of Pattaya but not the Pattaya out of Thailand laugh.png

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

The Cathedral of The Immaculate Conception in Chanthaburi, about 55 km from the Koh Chang Ferry pier, was built in 1909 by Vietnamese immigrants.

I know which "house of worship" is for me...and here and I was planning a few relaxing days on the beach away from Pattaya and you put me onto this...I guess one can take the boy out of Pattaya but not the Pattaya out of Thailand laugh.png
It's at least as good as any of the massage places in Pattaya for a few hundred baht less. Girls speak very little English but are up for a double if you are. No inflatable mattress, however.

It's at least as good as any of the massage places in Pattaya for a few hundred baht less. Girls speak very little English but are up for a double if you are. No inflatable mattress, however.

Believe it or not, this place is on Google Maps and I've already saved it. One has to pass through Chantaburi to get to either Centara resort down there...and looks to be about an hour before so might be the perfect "rest stop" before hitting the isolated beaches and resorts further down the coast.

Also, I forger to ask in my op, but I'll be a single traveler...without giving details, is there company to be had in the major resort areas of Ko Chang?

There are three main concentration of bars on Koh Chang. The largest is at White Sands Beach next to the Chang Buri Resort

24354978171_1376c8c179_z.jpg

24354981631_81ac1b9aa4_z.jpg

The second largest concentration is at the north end of Kai Bae, near the Sir Henry Morgan Pirate Pub.

(I don't recommend the Henry Morgan Pub)

24437438395_1bdff64d86_z.jpg

The third largest concentration at the southern edge of White Sands across from the Roadhouse.

When I first went to Koh Chang only the stretch of road alongside White Sand Beach had a paved road, the rest was dirt tracks (as Koh Lanta was, I guess that has changed dramatically now as well).

Was thinking of going there in March also, but limited time has ended that plan.

Have a good time!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I am also going soon, we are 2 guys from Pattaya going on 2 big bikes, 1 night only, for the ride and getting away from the wife(s) & kids.

2nd visit for both of us, don't lay on the beach, will ride a bit around when we arrive, have some beers in the evening (not riding off-course) and then back to Patts the next day after bekkie.

It will likely be white sand beach this time due to best selection of bars/restaurants.

There's a thai temple at the end of the road if you turn left after leaving the boat. Encountered ades mosquito there, was bitten more than a few times but not infected with dengue that was a few years ago. Not sure if the virus has spread there, so bring some mosquito repellant. Also encountered mosquito on the way to the resorts, ie turn right at the pier. This was at a strategic spot high up before reaching the resort, you get the sunset view here. Those were not ades mosquito, again things may change.