Thailand is home to 4 of the worst airlines for safety in the world

Jonathan Fairfield

Thailand is home to 4 of the worst airlines for safety in the world

thai-airlines-safety.jpg

BANGKOK:-- Four Thai carriers have been designated with the lowest star-ratings for aviation safety in an annual survey of the world’s biggest airlines.

AirlineRatings.com ranked 407 global airlines from one- to seven-stars, according to various factors determining safety. A seven-star rating is the best and safest rating while one-star is the worst. Qantas was named the world’s safest airline for the third year in a row.

148 carriers were awarded a seven-star rating but almost 50 were designated as just three stars or less.

In Thailand, Nok Air was awarded a two-star rating, while AirAsia Thailand, Bangkok Air and Orient Thai Airlines were deemed just three stars. Thai Airways squeaked ahead with four stars.

The ratings are determined by multiple indicators including crash and grounding records, whether the airline is certified by the International Air Transport Association, whether the airline is on an EU blacklist and whether the airline operates only Russian-manufactured planes, according to the Telegraph.

whats-on-sukhumvit.png
-- (c) What's on Sukhumvit 2016-01-16

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The star ratings of these 5 mentioned Thai airlines does surprise me somewhat. If I had to predict beforehand, based on my experience flying them all numerous times, I would have gone with;

Orient Thai: 1star

Nok Air: 2stars

AirAsia: 3 stars

Thai Air: 4stars

Bangkok Air: 4+stars

What might have skewed the results is the difference between long haul fligh and only short haul flight airlines. Short haul airlines are generally a lot more dangerous due to the inherent risk of take of and landing and use of smaller (prop) planes.

Anyway, still plenty work to do for all Thai airlines!

On my first ever visit to Thailand in 1999, our company had a retired US Army colonel on retainer as our local agent. At that time he had lived in Thailand about 23 years.

He went on and on and on one night about how bad THAI airlines was.

The star ratings of these 5 mentioned Thai airlines does surprise me somewhat. If I had to predict beforehand, based on my experience flying them all numerous times, I would have gone with;

Orient Thai: 1star

Nok Air: 2stars

AirAsia: 3 stars

Thai Air: 4stars

Bangkok Air: 4+stars

What might have skewed the results is the difference between long haul fligh and only short haul flight airlines. Short haul airlines are generally a lot more dangerous due to the inherent risk of take of and landing and use of smaller (prop) planes.

Anyway, still plenty work to do for all Thai airlines!

Now one-two-go is buried in the structure of Orient Thai. It's somewhat scandalous that they are still in business at all after the scathing comments by the British coroner over the Phuket crash. Maybe that was of scant concern to the travelling public but I wouldn't ever get on one of their planes.

I suspect the difference between the top and bottom of the Thai airline list is like the difference in the odds between getting stomped by an elephant, eaten by a tiger or beaten to death by a gibbon.

I'm going with the cheapest ticket and the best flight schedule.

Of course flying in Thailand is still safer than driving in Thailand. And never yet have I heard of a pilot leaving the scene. laugh.png

Indeed. Our transportation choices are not wholly rational.

Why just 2 weeks back I was riding around Phuket on a Honda Click. And I lived to tell the tale.

One two go? I was on one of their flights a few years ago. We started the take off roll and amid heavy vibration the pilot aborted the flight

Back at the gate. We deplaned and watched a guy in a pickup truck come and jacked up the front wheels and removed the bad parts. We were back on board and in the air in about an hour. This was an old DC9 type plane. No inspection just fix and go.

One two go? I was on one of their flights a few years ago. We started the take off roll and amid heavy vibration the pilot aborted the flight

Back at the gate. We deplaned and watched a guy in a pickup truck come and jacked up the front wheels and removed the bad parts. We were back on board and in the air in about an hour. This was an old DC9 type plane. No inspection just fix and go.

They probably also had a bi-plane to fix parts while airborne...