What is the diff between northern and north eastern thais?

Howitzer

Isaan people are the most genuinely friendly people in Thailand.

Absolute Rubbish. If you truly believe that then you have a problem.

So on an internet forum i am not allowed to say how i find things.

And Isaan most certainly supplies the vast majority of women for Thais prostitution industry, to deny this is to deny a fact ... and quite clearly the family back in the village know exactly where their uneducated daughter is bringing more money home than the average MBA student.

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A trip to Issan is like visiting my grandparents; Everyone is in bed by 10 pm and aside from the farang oriented bars in big cities like Udon, all is quiet. So much for the stereotype of sex crazed drunken debauchery, that my Southern ex would use to describe these people. I offer that this is the real Thailand. I would gladly relocate there except for the lack of decent medical services. Have a heart attack and you die. It's not like Hua Hin where a major hospital is 10 minutes away (except during weekend gridlock). And that highlights why the North East is younger. Older people can either not access medical care or unfortunately, due to financial constraints cannot pay for it. Due to the poverty and ongoing subsistence farming lifestyle, malnutrition is still present in the North east and it takes its toll on the population.

Poverty is the reason isan has more girls in the bar industry.

Many guys that may have burned through their own stupidity will not accept that isan does actually have decent girls to.

Most of these girls don't necessarily take,you can only take what some fool willingly gives.

Often many men are not so honest with these girls either, the girl then leaves and the now infuriated man cries fowl.

The woman now insulted says screw you I will take the house and all you gave.

Other girls plan it like a military operation, some are very honest and respected.

A very generalised statmennt, a bit like saying all Bangkokonions are rich.

I have lived in Isaan for over 10 years, of course I have met lots of genuine, down to earth people up here. I have also met my fair share of the others.

Everybody has their own thoughts in life, and really, it should not be influenced on where you were born or come from, you should be able to judge people on how you see them as individual people.

I was brought up in a working class UK Northern city, although you have a well known 'North - South divide', I think no better or worse of someone whichever side they are from. I will then make a personal viewpoint on their personality, regardless of where they are born.

What's a Bangkok onion?

A very generalised statmennt, a bit like saying all Bangkokonions are rich.

I have lived in Isaan for over 10 years, of course I have met lots of genuine, down to earth people up here. I have also met my fair share of the others.

Everybody has their own thoughts in life, and really, it should not be influenced on where you were born or come from, you should be able to judge people on how you see them as individual people.

I was brought up in a working class UK Northern city, although you have a well known 'North - South divide', I think no better or worse of someone whichever side they are from. I will then make a personal viewpoint on their personality, regardless of where they are born.

What's a Bangkok onion?

A spelling mistake.

However, it could also mean an affluent Thai, usually with inherited money, who thinks they are far so superior to others. I think you people call it hi-so (my arse).

A trip to Issan is like visiting my grandparents; Everyone is in bed by 10 pm and aside from the farang oriented bars in big cities like Udon, all is quiet. ...

Everyone except the young hoons on their unlit bikes with a underage girl riding pillion. Oh yes, they are heading off to the 24-hour library for some studying.

This is the region of Thailand who is at responsible for Thailand having the reputation as being the sex tourist capital of the world.

Never been to Pattaya then? sick.gif

It may surprise you that the vast amount of Thai women doing anything in Thailand happen to come from Isaan. If you can get your head out of the bar for a minute and think about the tens of thousands of factories and production lines. Nope, it aint no Bangkok wannabe hi-so that's gutting your oven ready chook or assembling hard drives or wiping down the newly-installed seats as a Fortuner rolls off the production line.

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

I could be totally wrong but at least in Chiang Rai i don't think the poverty levels are as bad as in much of Issan.

I have always said that i really don't think any of the poor people in Chiang rai are starving as a general rule the earth is much more fertile and just about anyone here can figure out how to grow or find something to eat without too much trouble...even i have learned that getting stuff to grow here is about as easy as i've ever seen anywhere....

The parts of isaan that i saw seemed much less fertile , more prone to droughts, etc.

Another thing i notice is when i ask my kids at CR high school how many want to leave CR and go to BKK or someplace not a single one of them ever says yes i want out of here. It seems to me that most CR people really are quite happy to be lliving here. Not sure if the same is true in Isaan or not?

I have no facts to back up any of the above.....just my limited observations.

Didn't used to be. When I was a kid in Bangkok in the '70s most of the bar girls, massage girls etc. were from the North. If you asked them where they'd usually say 'Chiangmai', but in fact most came from other northern provinces like Phrae, Phayao, and Chiangrai. Isaan was so poor and off the grid in those days that not many came down, though that was to change quickly from the '80s.

Lots of small cultural differences between the two but they're relatively minor compared to their differences with Central and Southern Thais. (Me, I like Southerners. They tell you what they're really thinking, not what they think you want to hear.)

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

One thrives on dealing in death and drugs while the other, the southerners, are simply dying in wholesale

numbers with on one to really do anything about it... other than that they're all the same, give or take,

OP was asking about north vs northeast. Where did you bring the Southerners from to this ??

Didn't used to be. When I was a kid in Bangkok in the '70s most of the bar girls, massage girls etc. were from the North. If you asked them where they'd usually say 'Chiangmai', but in fact most came from other northern provinces like Phrae, Phayao, and Chiangrai. Isaan was so poor and off the grid in those days that not many came down, though that was to change quickly from the '80s.

Lots of small cultural differences between the two but they're relatively minor compared to their differences with Central and Southern Thais. (Me, I like Southerners. They tell you what they're really thinking, not what they think you want to hear.)

Actually it went on like that well into the late '80s. The northern girls where considered lazy and taking the easy job of laying on their backs. The Isaan girls were considered hard working. Back then a Thai massage (there was no oil massage yet) was really a massage, making out with the masseur was the exception and not the norm like it is today

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

posts removed - post edited

Forum Rule - 17) You will not discuss the specifics of prostitution. Though Thailand has a visible sex industry, and acknowledgement of that fact is not forbidden, ThaiVisa is not the place to seek or give information on this topic, regardless of your sexual habits, preferences or orientation.

I could be totally wrong but at least in Chiang Rai i don't think the poverty levels are as bad as in much of Issan.

I have always said that i really don't think any of the poor people in Chiang rai are starving as a general rule the earth is much more fertile and just about anyone here can figure out how to grow or find something to eat without too much trouble...even i have learned that getting stuff to grow here is about as easy as i've ever seen anywhere....

The parts of isaan that i saw seemed much less fertile , more prone to droughts, etc.

Another thing i notice is when i ask my kids at CR high school how many want to leave CR and go to BKK or someplace not a single one of them ever says yes i want out of here. It seems to me that most CR people really are quite happy to be lliving here. Not sure if the same is true in Isaan or not?

I have no facts to back up any of the above.....just my limited observations.

Northern Thai girls are definitely different in skin tone, somewhat like honey. Issan girls are much darker, almost chocolate colour.

Physically, i think the Northern Thai girls are slighter and smaller in general, although there are exceptions. Most Issan girls I've seen appear to be stronger-bodied. Some are built like brick s###houses.

There are also big differences in the idioms used in both regions, although the underlying Thai is the same.

I'd definitely agree the Chiang Mai - Chiang Rai area is much better served with rainfall. Soil is volcanic, so ideal for growing. Issan soil looks terrible.

With television becoming common in even the most areas of Thailand, the differences in languages are disappearing..

Thai people who have always spoken Essan or Lao, now speak and understand " Bangkok Thai", just like they hear on all the TV soaps.

Agreed cultures are never entirely static but TV is a great changer. I remember speaking Thai to a Laotian guy in Luang Praban who said "You speak Thai good" I though it ironic that neither of us was communicating in our native language

If you study some Thai history, the country is an aggregation of many former independent kingdoms that were united under the Chakri kings by conquoring the various armies of the smaller kings. Issan, north-east, was among the last areas included in the present day country. There were once other areas that were under Thai rule and that paid tribute to Thai kings of the past.

I can only comment on my own experiences having lives a number of years in a village in Northern Thailand and also in a village in Isaan.

There is not a lot of difference between the two, but there is more genuine friendliness in Northern Thailand. The percentage of work-shy is much higher in Isaan.

Northern girls are supposed to be sweet - I can't argue, I married one.

On the whole, Northerners are lighter-skinned than Northeasterners.

Is that all you can muster up." There is a general conception that northern girls are for the Japanese while Isaan girls are for Europeans."

If you study some Thai history, the country is an aggregation of many former independent kingdoms that were united under the Chakri kings by conquoring the various armies of the smaller kings. Issan, north-east, was among the last areas included in the present day country. There were once other areas that were under Thai rule and that paid tribute to Thai kings of the past.

So a question would be do the Thai's of these regions understand & know the history of why they have different dialect & culture.

The ones I've meet, not a clue. But I only pass through the region's.

The closer they are to laos or burma the nicer people tend to be. Probably because the culture carries over from these areas.

Can we then say that laos/burmese ppl on average are nice than thai?

Well if you look at the map of thailand the regions close to those 2 countries tend to be northern while issna or a huge part of it is closer to cambodia so i suppose cambodians aren't so nice?

Whoever talked about the northeast being dead after 10pm, are you smoking crack? I stayed for a while in sisaket and buriram, both places were packed every night of the week. The bars and clubs were full until 4am. Mostly with underage looking kids wayyy more drunk than they should be.

It felt almost like being back in the UK.

Whoever talked about the northeast being dead after 10pm, are you smoking crack? I stayed for a while in sisaket and buriram, both places were packed every night of the week. The bars and clubs were full until 4am. Mostly with underage looking kids wayyy more drunk than they should be.

It felt almost like being back in the UK.

He may have meant in the villages where it's lights out after 8.00 pm unless there's a morlam show.