International Drivers lic.

hclay

I am an American who has lived in China for 20 years and I only have a Chinese Driver's license. It is my understanding that now you need a international license to drive in Thailand or to rent a bike. We were planning to visit Thailand in Feb. of this year but the guys I am traveling with are all Chinese and also only have china's D.L. .... China does not participate in the international Driver's license treaty so there is no chance to acquire a INAT. D.L. and a call to the Thai Embassy gives little in the way of knowledge as to any alternative....any ideas.... any information? thanks in advance for any and all input ....

China does not participate in the international Driver's license treaty so there is no chance to acquire a INAT.

Indeed. And foreigners in China have to make a Chinese DL.

Draconic penalties for driving without.

To be legally there would be no other way than doing a Thai DL.

Too much hassle for a holiday.

How long will you stay and where do you want to drive?

Looking forward to reports about Chinese renting vehicles in Pattaya for instance.

Anyone seen?

Don, According to the embassy they do and also from what I have read it is now a law that you need one to drive....if I am wrong I apologize

You must have an IDL if you want to drive in Thailand
January 15, 2016
Richard Barrow

license.jpg

If you plan on hiring a motorcycle or car while on holiday in Thailand, it is very important that you bring along a valid driving license. This means that if you intend to rent a moped you will need a license for motorcycles. You car driver’s license is not valid for motorcycles. In addition, you must have an International Driver’s License (IDL). You can apply for this in your home country before you go away on holiday. What this does is provide an official translation of your driver’s license. These are only for tourists and not expats. They are valid for only one year and some people have said that their insurance only covers 3 months on an IDL.

If you plan to live or work in Thailand, you should apply for a Thai driver’s license. Even if you don’t drive that much, it is a useful photo ID which you can use at police checkpoints instead of your passport. I’ve also used it for domestic flights and when checking in at hotels. As the license also has English on it, many countries, including the UK, will let you drive for a certain period on a Thai driver’s license.

I know quite a few people who have rented motorcycles without having a driving license, let alone an IDL. Many of them have never driven a motorcycle before. I also have known people use their foreign driver’s license to rent cars. At the moment, if your country doesn’t have an agreement with Thailand it is possible to “get away with it” if your license is in English. However, you should be aware that if you are driving without the correct license and you are involved in an accident, then you won’t be covered by insurance. This also goes for not wearing a helmet. So, best to get an IDL.

Unless you are an experienced driver with the proper insurance coverage and valid licenses, I would strongly suggest that you don’t rent a motorcycle or car while on holiday. Admittedly it is far more convenient, and can also be cheaper, if you have your own transport. But the roads in Thailand are among the deadliest in the world. To help cut down on tourist deaths and injuries on the roads, it will soon be compulsory for you to show the correct driver’s license and also an International driver’s license before you can rent a vehicle. Phuket will be leading the way with this new initiative according to the Phuket Gazette. Hopefully other destinations will follow. If this new policy “only” saves one person’s life a week than it is a success.

I live in Thailand and I have a Thai driving license but only for a car although I have a scooter for getting around Pattaya and especially in high season I'm using the scooter more than the car. I was getting tickets constantly so I ordered one of the mail order IDL. I used my US license as the base license but you just check the type of license you want, I checked car and motorcycle, and it works in Thailand and in Cambodia. I really don't think that it is legal but no one ever questions it, you can get one of those easily with your China driving license

It is of little help I know for the OP, But, for UK passport holders driving in Thailand you have to get the 1 year international Driving Permit.

A while back they only wanted to see your Passport.

You can only get this permit from the Automobile Association. You download the forms from their web site. Fill them in and send the appropriate copies of what they need. They can post the permit to a foreign address and costs and payment methods are listed on the web site.

This AA permit also allows you to drive a motor bike up to a certain physical weight. 400kg.

I have been using one here for the last 5 years. As soon as the local police see me pulling it out, (the permit I am talking about ) they wave me on.

Don, According to the embassy they do and also from what I have read it is now a law that you need one to drive....if I am wrong I apologize

January 15, 2016

Richard Barrow

license.jpg

If you plan on hiring a motorcycle or car while on holiday in Thailand, it is very important that you bring along a valid driving license. This means that if you intend to rent a moped you will need a license for motorcycles. You car drivers license is not valid for motorcycles. In addition, you must have an International Drivers License (IDL). You can apply for this in your home country before you go away on holiday. What this does is provide an official translation of your drivers license. These are only for tourists and not expats. They are valid for only one year and some people have said that their insurance only covers 3 months on an IDL.

If you plan to live or work in Thailand, you should apply for a Thai drivers license. Even if you dont drive that much, it is a useful photo ID which you can use at police checkpoints instead of your passport. Ive also used it for domestic flights and when checking in at hotels. As the license also has English on it, many countries, including the UK, will let you drive for a certain period on a Thai drivers license.

I know quite a few people who have rented motorcycles without having a driving license, let alone an IDL. Many of them have never driven a motorcycle before. I also have known people use their foreign drivers license to rent cars. At the moment, if your country doesnt have an agreement with Thailand it is possible to get away with it if your license is in English. However, you should be aware that if you are driving without the correct license and you are involved in an accident, then you wont be covered by insurance. This also goes for not wearing a helmet. So, best to get an IDL.

Unless you are an experienced driver with the proper insurance coverage and valid licenses, I would strongly suggest that you dont rent a motorcycle or car while on holiday. Admittedly it is far more convenient, and can also be cheaper, if you have your own transport. But the roads in Thailand are among the deadliest in the world. To help cut down on tourist deaths and injuries on the roads, it will soon be compulsory for you to show the correct drivers license and also an International drivers license before you can rent a vehicle. Phuket will be leading the way with this new initiative according to the Phuket Gazette. Hopefully other destinations will follow. If this new policy only saves one persons life a week than it is a success.

Yeah thanks for all that.

As I said an international driver licence is not recognized..... and International Driver Permit on the other hand.........................

Semantics I know but one should strive to use the correct terminology where possible.

Edited by Don Mega

January 15, 2016
Richard Barrow

license.jpg

Nice example of fake IDP's. The one on the left looks similar to the genuine IDP. The one on the right is just a meaningless card that is not valid for anything.

Just to clarify,it's not A license it's A permit,big difference.You can get it thru AAA.The one post said it's not recognized in Thailand.

I get one every time I come toThailand.When I'm stopped I give the permit to them when I'm stopped.

An IDL is not a drivers license [nor permit] at all.

A misnomer.

It is a translation of a DL.

Thats it.

I'll bet you can get one for a China DL; online.

You can and that is the way I got mine. Although I don't think most of them are legal, they pass the test with Thai and Cambodian police. I got mine from http://ididl.com , fast service and it looks legal and is accepted by Thai police.

An IDL is not a drivers license [nor permit] at all.

A misnomer.

It is a translation of a DL.

Thats it.

I'll bet you can get one for a China DL; online.

You can and that is the way I got mine. Although I don't think most of them are legal, they pass the test with Thai and Cambodian police. I got mine from http://ididl.com , fast service and it looks legal and is accepted by Thai police.

An International Driver's Permit can only be issued by by the governments (or designated representatives) of the countries that signed the treaty. Most of the English speaking countries gave a charter to Auto Clubs to do so on behalf of the government.

Anything bought on-line is fake.

Any document that uses the words "International License" is fake. A real International Drivers Permit does not say "License".

As you pointed out though the fake ones can be useful when driving in third world countries where the cops don't know any better.

Joe:

The United States of America does not issue

IDLs, permits or anything like that.

Since there does not exist 'official' IDL,

'fake' IDL is meaningless.

These TRANSLATIONS are offered by private companies to certain specs.

[The actual language in those treaties is unclear.]

A plethora of private companies provides the document.

That's it.

If you have an accident without legal documentation your insurance company will dump you faster than.....

Can the OP go to Hong Kong and get a Hong Kong licence? Probably a daft suggestion but...

Edited by VocalNeal

when I came to china almost 20 yrs ago, I think AAA issued me a little gray book which had translations of the Alabama D.L's but it has been so many years I don't know.. I do remember Taiwan was incl. but the PRC was not...I used it for travel to countries other than China but when I got a Chinese Driver's lic. most places accepted it ...as to the difference with an international license or a international permit, I was not aware. True the term used by the Thailand embassy here in Beijing was International license both in Chinese and in English .... but that could be just a translation thing from a phone jockey ...

Joe:

The United States of America does not issue

IDLs, permits or anything like that.

Since there does not exist 'official' IDL,

'fake' IDL is meaningless.

These TRANSLATIONS are offered by private companies to certain specs.

[The actual language in those treaties is unclear.]

A plethora of private companies provides the document.

That's it.

The US Government has chartered the AAA Auto Club to issue International Driver's Permits. You can easily confirm this on the US State Dept website. Similar policy in Canada, UK, and Australia.

In Thailand the International Driver's Permits are issued by the same offices that issue the Thai Driver's license.

Off topic but to clarify, the US does issue IDPs through AAA. I got one every year whenever I traveled internationally. Also, there is no such animal as an International Drivers License (IDL) it is an International Drivers Permit (IDP) and worded as such in the 1949 Geneva Convention on road traffic. And as mentioned, China is not a signatory so can not accept nor issue one.

If your stay wasn't so short you could consider just getting a Thai DL as it is less than a 1 day process. The issue is using a tourist visa or visa exempt as normally they require a 90 day visa type but reports of some getting it on tourist visa.

2nd, this is a copy from another forum using a notarized translation of the Chinese DL:

China driver licence holders info:

China is not a signatory to the IDP (International Drivers Permit) international law.

So, China has NO IDP to issue.

For China drivers licence holders, you just need an official translation of the licence into English (or the official language of the country you will be driving in) from a notary.

Suggest get that done in China, where the notaries read Chinese.
Put a copy in your licence wallet, and you are good to drive in other countries.

Some other rules apply in certain countries - eg in Europe you can drive for a maximum of 6 months during visits, then they require you to apply for a local licence.

The basic facts aren't clear (and they should be).

Basically each country thats a signatory has an official IDP issuer, and the IDP *must* be procured from them, or its invalid.

If the country is not a signatory, then
a translation in the language of the destination country is sufficient.

There is a thread in the ask the lawyer section and it quite clearly states that the only driving licences that are legal to use in Thailand are Thai and international permits. No other countries permits / licenses are valid.

If I were the op I'd be thinking of hiring a tuk-tuk and driver anytime he wants to go somewhere.

Thousands of tourists rent vehicles here every year. I'm sure most don't hold a valid licence in Thailand but it seldom causes a newsworthy story. In fact a lot of Thai drivers don't have a licence either. I'm sure that you won't have much problem with the police. Insurance will need further investigation, but once again, some Thai drivers don't have any insurance.

Edited by billphillips

I don't believe many bike rental companies in tourist areas would want anything more than a Passport.

They want this for security and the ability to fleece you for minor damage - they don't seem to care if you are licensed to ride in your home countries from my experience.

I don't believe many bike rental companies in tourist areas would want anything more than a Passport.

They want this for security and the ability to fleece you for minor damage - they don't seem to care if you are licensed to ride in your home countries from my experience.

Very true, if you do get stopped for no license in Thailand usually you pay a 400 baht fine and you are on your way again. If you don't want to have to pay the 400 baht get one of the online IDLs like I did.

Edited by Lucky33

Very true, if you do get stopped for no license in Thailand usually you pay a 400 baht fine and you are on your way again. If you don't want to have to pay the 400 baht get one of the online IDLs like I did.

Do you have a link to where to get an online IDL. Am interested.

Do you have a link to where to get an online IDL. Am interested.

Didnt you read that these sites are scams? Man o man people....