Why don't people dress decently in restaurants ?

peterb17

Was out for dinner night before last- nice restaurant. I always make an effort, shower , shave, long trousers , good shirt, smell good etc etc. Two couples sitting either side- wife / gf had made an effort . The two guys- shorts , wife beaters, one with filthy crocs ( do I hate those things ) and enough tattoos to keep the ink companies afloat for years.

I do not want to tuck into my chateaubriand looking at armpit hair.

So my question, am I being a bit prissy and sensitive. Should the restaurant say no- you need to dress accordingly.

Will be interested in your views

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The food should be on display, not the customers. There are many places that do enforce a dress code, if you think that is important you can seek them out. But if you focused on your food and yourself, perhaps you would not notice the other customers ?

As an old guy I was brought up to a 'standard'.......In my country there is now no standard......In fact in my country going out to a nice restaurant is probably not a pleasure any more....BUT, perhaps l am old school, stuff has moved on.....To me it is sad........

What pisses me off is some guy getting a phone call when dining and sits thee whaling in a phone....No class, no upbringing, no nufink...........

yeah...phone calls are far more of a nuisance IMHO than the way they look.

No you are not expecting too much....

Others just expect too little from themselves → and also about those they choose to associate with.....

In Tesco Lotus yesterday most of the farang men made an effort to look presentable/not all clothes in style or newish but clean - exception being one in a western shirt and ill fitting fishermans pants = he looked just stupid....

On the way home saw several others that just looked like sht....Unkempt hair - dirty wrinkled clothes/wife beaters - ungroomed/unshaven......

Surely the hot climate makes it easier to skimp on dressing but there's an element here that just cannot/does not want to look like anything other than a wandering homeless hobo.....

Betting in their home countries they were misfits too & maybe just stayed in to drink.....Grungy looking human beings.....

My 8 year old out playing with reckless abandon seldom looks as badly deported → and it's bath time as soon as she's in.....

Many of those people have eschewed bathing regularly for quite awhile....

Until I move abroad - although travelling the world a bit - I never thought some nationalities were unhygenic.....Now I think so → and it's their norm - unfortunately....

It's a little less concerning to me if they are the young backpacker types......The over 50's like that are scarey in that you are only seeing the surface of their unclean habits.....

Fittingly enough most don't have a Thai female with them......

The food should be on display, not the customers. There are many places that do enforce a dress code, if you think that is important you can seek them out. But if you focused on your food and yourself, perhaps you would not notice the other customers ?

Yes you can focus on your food- but don't you think a whiff from next door's armpits is a bit gross?

Assuming this eatery is in Pattaya in which case you have to get used to it as it is common behavior with Pattayas quality tourists.

No I don't have to get used to it- a simple dress code would make a difference - you think that some stinking guy would be acceptable in some of the better hotels and restaurants- no

Soory bout that. next time I'll give the crocs a quick clean.

Don - am sure it was not you- but as an elegant shoe- not so sure. Try Prada, Russell & Bromley, Dior, Dunhill etc. You will be the talk of the town.

I own 2 pairs of footwear. Steel cap boots and crocs.... I do not wear the boots after 6.30pm (monday to friday).

I guess I could buy some of them other shoes you mention but then I would have to buy some long pants as I do not own any...

Will long pants, some prada's and metallica t-shirt be ok with you ?

In my day a suit was worn, end of a meal quiet chat, glass of port with a cigar....

Really sorry if you young guys never experienced that stuff....Glad I did...smile.png

Sorry Trans,

But in your day a pith helmet and safari suit were the norm.

Soory bout that. next time I'll give the crocs a quick clean.

Don - am sure it was not you- but as an elegant shoe- not so sure. Try Prada, Russell & Bromley, Dior, Dunhill etc. You will be the talk of the town.
I own 2 pairs of footwear. Steel cap boots and crocs.... I do not wear the boots after 6.30pm (monday to friday).

I guess I could buy some of them other shoes you mention but then I would have to buy some long pants as I do not own any...

Will long pants, some prada's and metallica t-shirt be ok with you ?

Totally- fashion is all to do with being a bit eccentric - looking good and how you want to be seen in the world.

All I'm asking is people wash, look good- no armpits please!

In my day a suit was worn, end of a meal quiet chat, glass of port with a cigar....

Really sorry if you young guys never experienced that stuff....Glad I did...smile.png

Well I am a bit grand- had port laid down for when I was 21. Things have moved on, we opened the port- was not so good.

I'm NOT asking for a suit, black tie outfit etc.

ALL I'm asking that if people go out to a reasonably smart restaurant - they wash and don't wear a Singha vest.

If you eat in public places, expect to mix with the public.

I don't like seeing fat people, but I put up with it.

Someone who is overweight can be perfectly well turned out ( and clean) totally irrelevant .

Might have started out clean, but....

post-130068-0-98052800-1453540966_thumb.

I am a lot younger as you.. but have had some similar experiences but mainly because I worked at a stock brokers firm and went with the brokers to real expensive restaurants. I can't say that I enjoyed it more as cheaper restaurants that were less restrictive. I go to a restaurant for the food and don't really care how others look.

I make sure I am presentable but really don't care much how others look, if they are loud and rude in their behavior that would bother me much more. I am happy I am flexible and not yet a grumpy old man that gets annoyed with the world. (this comment was not aimed at you trans)

I am a lot younger as you.. but have had some similar experiences but mainly because I worked at a stock brokers firm and went with the brokers to real expensive restaurants. I can't say that I enjoyed it more as cheaper restaurants that were less restrictive. I go to a restaurant for the food and don't really care how others look.

I make sure I am presentable but really don't care much how others look, if they are loud and rude in their behavior that would bother me much more. I am happy I am flexible and not yet a grumpy old man that gets annoyed with the world. (this comment was not aimed at you trans)

Accepted...thumbsup.gif ....But what I am saying is the WHOLE experiences, food, dress code, banter, service was a delight... Now lost, I fear....

First trip to the UK from Australia on the SS Arcadia, it was mandatory to dress for dinner, shirt, tie and jacket. Just the way it was, a different time, different standards.

Well I am a bit grand- had port laid down for when I was 21. Things have moved on, we opened the port- was not so good.

ALL I'm asking that if people go out to a reasonably smart restaurant - they wash and don't wear a Singha vest.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeell, watch some Hercule Poirot episodes where they have nailed correct attire and behaviour....I lived through that error and have very fond memories..

Sadly now folk look at a nice restaurant as a posh McDonald's, they ain't got a clue what dining is about.....

Well I'm quite sure that every evening- you dress up- nibble on quail stuffed with pine nuts wrapped in vine leaves.

Get back on the piste

Weeeeeeeeeeeeell, watch some Hercule Poirot episodes where they have nailed correct attire and behaviour....I lived through that error and have very fond memories..

Sadly now folk look at a nice restaurant as a posh McDonald's, they ain't got a clue what dining is about.....

Well I'm quite sure that every evening- you dress up- nibble on quail stuffed with pine nuts wrapped in vine leaves.

Get back on the piste

Surprising as it seems, there are folks who consider McDonalds food garbage, and whose diet may consist of something far healthier.

Accepted...thumbsup.gif ....But what I am saying is the WHOLE experiences, food, dress code, banter, service was a delight... Now lost, I fear....

First trip to the UK from Australia on the SS Arcadia, it was mandatory to dress for dinner, shirt, tie and jacket. Just the way it was, a different time, different standards.

But did you actually enjoy those standards on board the ship- did it add to your dining experience- a special occasion- something to be remembered.

All I'm saying- why don't restaurants advertise a dress code- you don't have to be in the latest fashion- just in a shirt, washed, not stink- and NO vests. Why do you need one in aircon ?

But did you actually enjoy those standards on board the ship- did it add to your dining experience- a special occasion- something to be remembered.

All I'm saying- why don't restaurants advertise a dress code- you don't have to be in the latest fashion- just in a shirt, washed, not stink- and NO vests. Why do you need one in aircon ?

I certainly did enjoy it, it was like stepping on to a movie set. Even the waiters wore tuxedos.

What restaurant? In Thailand? What restaurant? Upscale? Why do you think it's upscale?

You decided to come to a third world country and you are complaining about the dress code if I understand correctly?

Why don't you fly to many premier European restaurants spots if that is what you seek?

Or just visit a Conrad Lounge (or any 5 star hotel) where dress code is enforced.

Tony Soprano didn't react too well with the young guy who had a baseball cap on back to front in the restaurant, he did send a bottle over later though.

Fortunately not over the guys head!

Edited by roo860

Well ol' chum, I haven't been to a real dinner in many decades, have eaten at the dinner trough many times....There is a big difference between dinner and dinner...If you or anyone has not experienced a 'real' dinner, it is your loss mon ami..

Sorry no more sparring

Maybe if you were Bristol, Hispano Souza , Bugatti ( not the new one) Austin Healey , Bentley ( not new) - but Transam- - what a load of crap

Stay calm- enjoy your memories of cigar smoke - toasts to the Queen , and think what all those made up fabulous dinners have done to your arteries. No more of your hijacking this thread.

What restaurant? In Thailand? What restaurant? Upscale? Why do you think it's upscale?

You decided to come to a third world country and you are complaining about the dress code if I understand correctly?

Why don't you fly to many premier European restaurants spots if that is what you seek?

Or just visit a Conrad Lounge (or any 5 star hotel) where dress code is enforced.

The OP never mentioned the word upscale, but if you are suggesting that because Thailand is a third world country there is no such thing as an upscale restaurant, well I suggest you raise your sights.

Edited by giddyup