Thai police chief voices concern of increasing trend in carrying 'child angels'

webfact

Police chief voices concern of increasing trend in carrying 'child angels'

260103-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The commissioner of the Royal Thai Police yesterday voiced concern over growing trend of people carrying the so-called "Look Thep" or child angel dolls on planes and other mass transportation saying drug traffickers could exploit the trend to smuggle in drugs.

He ordered police across the country to impose stricter inspection of the superstitious Look Thep dolls to stop the possible attempt.

Pol Gen Chakthip Chaijinda admitted that the carrying of the child angel dolls on board the air plane is a personal right of an individual.

But personally, he saw the act as inappropriate, as he feared that criminals could use such trend as a channel to smuggle drugs or illegal items.

He said he has ordered all police immigration checkpoints to thoroughly and strictly inspect all these dolls with no exceptions.

He recalled these child angel dolls are similar to the past trend of “Kuman Thong” and Tamagotchi.

(Kuman Thong is the fatal fetish containing the soul of a child traditionally worshiped, but without going to the trouble of obtaining a dead fetus. But Tamagotchi is a tiny pet from cyberspace who needs your love to survive and grow. If you take good care of your pet, it will slowly grow healthier, and more beautiful everyday. But if it is neglected, it may grow up to be mean or ugly and die).

“We feed them, clothe them, and play with them,” the police commissioner said.

He asked reporters during a press conference yesterday whether this really was the right trend for the time being.

“How did our country get this far? I’m still quite confused myself. Raising a Look Thep? I don’t think I would ever catch on to the trend. It’s such madness.,” he said.

The commissioner said he was really worried about how the future generation would see this and whether or not they would follow suit.

He admitted that raising the doll is a personal right, but carrier must also respect other people’s rights as well.

These people who raise the dolls might have the money to buy a plane ticket for the doll, but personally, he said the money should be used to buy other useful things.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/148103

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-01-26

What about backpacks and suitcases? Wouldn't they be an even better place to smuggle drugs?

Are these stupid dolls protected under Thailand's very strict human rights laws? They can't be sniffed or searched for drugs as that goes against their basic rights? I know how PC Thailand is.

Stop wasting people's time by speaking before thinking. Also, I don't think you or your ilk are the right people to talking about setting bad examples.

Edited by rkidlad

so the Thai authorities are feeling threatened by a toy doll, am I reading that right ? cancel that sub order and buy a few thousand tellytubbies

are the dolls posting on facebook maybe ?

as for aircraft security, have they decided to let passengers on planes without going through security

someone please tell me the Thai PM and the police are not holding press conferences about this and I just had a silly dream and will waken up soon

Invasion of the dolls

Edited by smedly

To be frank, I rather would have liked to hear that a leading psychiatrist is voicing concern about local adults carrying the stupid things around.

Also, if I were the CEO of a large corporation and would notice one of my executive staff bringing one of those things into the office, I would seriously start doubting their professionalism and consider firing them, effectively proving that these dolls do NOT bestow "good luck and success".

Edited by Misterwhisper

Yesterday it was an airline. Today it is the police and the PM. How stupid is this country becoming? Don't answer that, it is retorical.

Of course, thinking these 'dolls' have souls speaks volumns about the intelectual capacity of people to grasp reality.

And barely 30 minutes later, the internet story is posted that it happened! http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/889665-luk-thep-drug-mule-busted-at-chiang-mai-airport/?p=10352410

An "I-told-you-so" moment for the prescient police chief.

Or a not-so-subtle PR opportunity.

Amazing Thailand

Edited by Fookhaht

Some days when I scan the Thai news, I have to check

the calendar to make sure it is not April 1st....... But

after seeing news like this, it is no wonder Thai people

are so easily led, with such a weak grasp on reality....

Pretty sure those dolls are made in China, so how

could they possibly have a soul ?????

I wonder if people were carrying them through metal detectors without being scanned in the x-ray. That would not surprise me to find out that was the case. It's not as if someone would let a real baby pass through one, and these nut jobs seem to be treating them better than real Thai children.

On that note, I'm opening a shop selling crash helmets for Look Thep dolls. Only 10,000 baht each. Full money back guarantee if your doll dies while wearing one.

Edited by FloridaExport

Thai police chief voices concern of increasing trend in carrying 'child angels'

Be more worried that in a couple of years these dolls will be high on yaba and street racing, after all they learn from their parents

Edited by klauskunkel

Surely x-raying one of these dolls or even just taking its head off to find drugs is easier say than sticking your fingers up a suspected mules 'deaf and dumb'..............

Are their heads easily detachable. If not I can see that not going down very well.

Whilst thanking drug smugglers is intuitively unedifying, one can't help but be thankful to them for ensuring that these ridiculous dolls will now have their various limbs removed or otherwise heavily tampered with by law enforcement every time their unfortunate owners see fit to try and travel with them.