Overstay....what airport to fly from

Two choices, either Don Mueang or the new one...which one is the best to clear a long overstay. It's my my best friend that is in this situation, he went to the local provincial immigration to ask for advise...they didn't arrest him, but told him to go the airport and get it sorted out.

I worked with this bloke back in 2006 and already then he was on overstay, but a lot have happened since in regards to enforcement of rules. And as the new ones comes in full force, he got increasingly worried. So suddenly he was at my door asking for advise. We went to my lawyer, that contacted a hotshot downtown, he was told go to the airport. Take 20k and an airplane ticket in and out. Stay away at least for a day and come back...but now comes the question most report are from suvarnabhumi airport, not don Mueang, but both are international airports.

I could choose not to care, but that's not me. So if I can help, then....

• Like 1

but now comes the question most report are from suvarnabhumi airport, not don Mueang, but both are international airports.

True, but compare the amount of international filghts/passengers.

Don Mueang is big in domestic LCC routes.

Simply statistics.

His lawyer will take care of it for around 45 k including new visa 60 days, no questions asked, cleared in the system, a three day land board crossing to Laos with a new temp 7 day stamp. The sixty days can be extended and he will then get married...his passport will be cleared tomorrow and the new temp extension will be stamped on Monday. He will be out next week....

• Like 1

whistling.gif The new rules have been published on this forum.

Clear his overstay before March 2oth,2016.

Just pay the 20,000 Baht (max fine) and leave .

Get new visa and return.

No problem.

After 20 May he nay be banned from returning to Thailand for a period.

• Like 1

His lawyer will take care of it for around 45 k including new visa 60 days, no questions asked, cleared in the system, a three day land board crossing to Laos with a new temp 7 day stamp. The sixty days can be extended and he will then get married...his passport will be cleared tomorrow and the new temp extension will be stamped on Monday. He will be out next week....

Why on earth would anyone pay 45 k baht for something TOTALLY ILLEGAL versus 20 k baht + regional LCC roundtrip airfare + Thai visa cost + one nights lodging? Probably less than 30 k baht tops and TOTALLY LEGAL.

As Crossy already stated, if your buddy plans on not overstaying again, any shonky stamps could be picked up by Immigration whereupon he is in a world of hurt, not the lawyer.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

From most of the post overstayer use suvarnabhumi airport for exit. I don't know why but i did the same. It was only last week that i cleared my overstay for 1633 Days. I got a ticket to Vientiane Laos. Got a Single entry Visa and got back no problem at all no one asked about the overstay stamp. No one ask for proof of Funds or Booking initial. BUT, this part is very important. Do not assume everything is going to be smooth. Be prepared than to be sorry. Just bring along 20K Thai Baht for the fine & 20K Thai baht when you enter. *in case the immigration ask for it, you have got to show it. Avoid embassy in Singapore, Vietnam, Hong Kong. They will not hesitate to reject Visa application. On the other hand Laos and Malaysia *Penang ONLY have no problem issuing you with a single entry visa. Good Luck

Edited by Jackieiam
  • Like 1

I've worked with a Brit who also had "help from a lawyer." He bought a visa and a work permit, but both were as fake as the lawyer.

The Ayuthaya visa had a missing stamp and it was very easy to find out by an Immigration officer.

He was lucky that the Immigration officer was such a cool guy who "advised " him to immediately leave the country to get a Non-B.

Stay away from such people, tell him to pay the fine and he'll be okay.

Edited by lostinisaan

whistling.gif The new rules have been published on this forum.

Clear his overstay before March 2oth,2016.

Just pay the 20,000 Baht (max fine) and leave .

Get new visa and return.

No problem.

After 20 May he nay be banned from returning to Thailand for a period.

March 20th?

May 20th?

Make up your mind.

His lawyer, and other source, including immi people, says there is a secret 5 year limit, that could bring you in trouble upon return. That's why he feared doing it on his own without legal help.

Please stop this nonsense, it is very clear what he has to do now. Leave the country pay the 20.000 and return with a new visa.

Edited by Carib
  • Like 1

His lawyer, and other source, including immi people, says there is a secret 5 year limit, that could bring you in trouble upon return. That's why he feared doing it on his own without legal help.

5 year limit is baloney ! As Ubon Joe mentioned had a TV member clear up an 11 year overstay about 4 months ago and I think someone with 6 year overstay last month. Don't use the lawyer he is wasting his money. Simply fly out to Vientiene ,pay the 20,000 baht on the way out at the airport then apply for a single entry visa ( 60 days) which can be extended for another 30 days with a payment of 1900 baht at immigration.

My record for assisting the clearing of overstays is 20 years and I did a 15 year one about 6 months ago.

All these people did it the cheap legal way and surrendered to immigration went to court and left that night by plane!

Yes, it is funny how someone sees the possibility to make some money and invents a rule to support the using of their business model!

• Like 1

I cleared 11 year overstay at Suvarnabhumi. Paid the 20k Baht fine and returned from KL four days later. No need for some dodgy lawyer. I totally understand that such a prospect is extremely daunting. However my experience was while the immigration officers were justifiably nonplussed by the length of my overstay they nevertheless treated me courteously and professionally and ultimately I know that the stamps in my passport are all legit. Your friend would be best advised to bite the bullet and do it the right way as thereafter he can rest easy that his status is fully legitimate. Since I cleared my overstay in August 2014 I have travelled frequently in and out of the country applied for and received tourist visas and extensions as well as visa exempt entries and the overstay was never mentioned save for when I had inadvertently overstayed by a day and at clearing it at Nong Khai the officer looked at it and remarked that I had a previous long overstay, he then simply asked for the 500 Baht fine and I was free to go (and return). Your friend therefore really can sort this matter out entirely by himself rather than risking making an offence that can be easily sorted out into something which potentially could be a lot more problematic.If you want to PM me for further details I will be happy to discuss this with you or him.

• Like 1

Get out quickly before the new rules take effect, preferably through the biggest airport.

Get there very early, be well dressed & groomed, & yes Sir, no Sir, have the cash ready, u should be OK.

As previous post DO NOT DO IT AGAIN,,, next time big trouble for u

Get out quickly before the new rules take effect, preferably through the biggest airport.

Get there very early, be well dressed & groomed, & yes Sir, no Sir, have the cash ready, u should be OK.

As previous post DO NOT DO IT AGAIN,,, next time big trouble for u

I doubt how one dresses make a huge difference yes a bit but I think the money in hand is the part here that they care about till the new rules.

As for persona non grata that could be an issue on the next attempt to enter Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...

From most of the post overstayer use suvarnabhumi airport for exit. I don't know why but i did the same. It was only last week that i cleared my overstay for 1633 Days. I got a ticket to Vientiane Laos. Got a Single entry Visa and got back no problem at all no one asked about the overstay stamp. No one ask for proof of Funds or Booking initial. BUT, this part is very important. Do not assume everything is going to be smooth. Be prepared than to be sorry. Just bring along 20K Thai Baht for the fine & 20K Thai baht when you enter. *in case the immigration ask for it, you have got to show it. Avoid embassy in Singapore, Vietnam, Hong Kong. They will not hesitate to reject Visa application. On the other hand Laos and Malaysia *Penang ONLY have no problem issuing you with a single entry visa. Good Luck

Vietnam regularly rejects - or just may reject?

His case has been settled...that's all I know right now. Went out via DMK and flew to KL, got fined and received a big fuss from the IO in charge. No problems upon return.

Glad that it worked out for him and that he handled the matter without resorting to using some dodgy "lawyer". On leaving I found that there was some questioning but ultimately, as your friend;s experience shows, even for long overstays it is possible to clear it and re-enter without difficulty. But the clock is ticking so hopefully those still here on long overstays will be encouraged by your friend's experience and legitimise their status. A few sharp words from an i/o are infinitely better than being blacklisted come March 20th.

Edited by gilo