Immigration Office, Chiang Mai

Went to immigration office Chiang Mai today to do the second one-year extension of my support-thai-wife visa. Well, actually I wen't there yesterday (1 day before expiry) just in case they'd require further documentation. My luck I did so.

Last year my means of meeting the financial requirements were 400,000 Baht in bank properly documented as being emitted from abroad, etc. However, this year my means of meeting the financial requirement were (supposed to be) WP-supported Thailand income and taxpayment of 40,000 Baht a month - properly documented by WP and tax forms/receipts for the last three months.

However, that financial documentation didn't suffice yesterday - they required me to go get a letter from bank certifying the balance and copy of all pages in passbook ... Well, I did do so and today they accepted the bigger pile of documentation.

My bank account does show well in excess of the 400,000 Baht, so I don't know for sure wether my application would've been turned down in case it didn't show at least 400,000 Baht ... One reason for requiring bank-account documentation could merely be they want to have the full picture of the applicant.

Nevertheless, we actually were told not to touch the bank-account until extension was granted ... This experience can't but make me wonder: Doesn't Chiang Mai immigration accept 40,000 baht a month income (legal, properly documented) as sufficient for meeting the financial requirements for support-wife visa-extensions?

They have grandfathered you under the old rules. Be grateful as if you lose your job you can still qualify with the bank deposit and not have to put the wife to work.

They have always checked off and accepted bank letter/passbook copies for file even when I have used income so believe they want to see that in any case.

I suggest they do accept the 40K THB per month for 'new' applications but because you was doing it on the back of one you did last year (grand father rights) then the 400k I guess was more acceptable. The reason for the copy of the books as evidence was to just make sure that the 400K was not borrowed in order to get the visa.

That's how I read into what you have told me at least.

Let me re-iterate though. Anyone getting a visa for marriage prior to Oct 1st can cantinue to do so using 400K.

Those getting a new one for the first time after October 1st have to show 40k THB family income per month

According to the old rules you could meet the requirements by means of either 400,000 Baht in bank, or income of 40,000 Baht /month or a combination of the two.

So, being grandfathered by the old rules, doesn't explain why the officer (the one in the back room having the final say on wether to accept application) told us not to touch the bank account.

The bank amount must remain at 400k for the period under review and as you are using the 400k it must remain above 400k. It will be checked during the review process and if found under the requirement the extension will most likely not be granted. You should be able to "touch it" as long as it does not go below the 400k unless this is a new rule.

The point is that by having an income of 40,000 Baht/month, I fullfill the requirements of both old and new rules without having a single satang in the bank ... Wrong?

I believe they grandfathered you in on the conditions you last met (400,000) before the requirements changed and can not change it except perhaps under the new rule of showing 40k/month every month.

The point is that by having an income of 40,000 Baht/month, I fullfill the requirements of both old and new rules without having a single satang in the bank ... Wrong?
You are right. If you show income of at least 40K per month for the past three months and the official refuses you an extension on this basis, then he is wrong and obviously does not know the rules. Ask to speak to his superior.

After coming online again earlier today, the Immigration website still has the old rules and does not have the OR (400K in bank OR 40K/month), nor any indication that the monthly earning may also be partly or wholly the wife’s earnings.

---------------

Maestro

The point is that by having an income of 40,000 Baht/month, I fullfill the requirements of both old and new rules without having a single satang in the bank

Well, Immigration wants to see a bank account and the bank’s confirmation letter even when extension is applied for on the basis of monthly income. Therefore, you will have at least one satang in your account :o

Paragraph 7.17 of the National Police Order No. 606/2006, respectively the English translation thereof, is very clear and does not allow the interpretation that old (grand-fathered) extensions can be only on the basis of 400 K in the bank:

(6) In case of the applicant who is married to a Thai wife, one of them or both of them need to have the total annual income that is averaged out not less than 40,000 Baht per month. Except for the case that the said foreign national has entered Thailand before this Order is enforced and the foreign national has been permitted to stay in the Kingdom by the result of having married to a Thai wife, then if the applicant does not have the said income, then, the latest 3 months records of the account book of any Bank in Thailand with the account name of either or both parties need to have the amount of money not less than 400,000 Baht.

Yeah, well ... being in the lucky position (this year) to be able to meet the requirements in whatever way this or that CM officer is capable of interpreting them ... I'd say - hopefully those rules get more clear and easyer to understand by the officers having a hard time trying to understand them and implementing them in a reasonable (i.e. explainable) manner ...

Yeah, well ... being in the lucky position (this year) to be able to meet the requirements in whatever way this or that CM officer is capable of interpreting them ... I'd say - hopefully those rules get more clear and easyer to understand by the officers having a hard time trying to understand them and implementing them in a reasonable (i.e. explainable) manner ...

well Im really confused now, Last year I went to make my 3rd consecutive extention. On the grounds of Marriage. Chiang Mai very nice lady said and I quote ( why dont you add more money, then u can get a Retirement visa very easy) She gave me a new stamp for 1 week. I transfered extra money to my account. New letter from SCB Health certificate, BINGO. New 1 year visa in 1 day no hassle. I guess this time it wont be so easy, I will need to leave my wife and son in Thailand. I think as many others, they want us out. What will happen to our family? I think we should make a forum for ( what will happen to the family) Ok take them to your home, or fight the bullshit Thailand seems to offer us now.

The only difference between last year and this for 800k retirement will be the 3 months in account that I can see. And not having to obtain a medical. If you can not meet that and have Thai wife you can always use the 40k income method.

I renewed my Thai wife support visa in August down in Bangkok (before the rule changes) but I started it a month before it was due to expire and apart from forgetting to copy all the pages in my passport it went OK. I did not have 400.000 baht in my account but I did meet the monthly requirements OK (confirmed by the documents and the embassy) and I had to report back a month later to pick up the full stamp. This is my 4th renewal and at no time has anybody ever told me not to spend any money from my account. Perhaps it is due to the fact that I am extremely handsome that won over the hearts of the ladies at Suan Phlu. :o (go hock)