Who knows how to identify + and - wiring mozzie zapper

Ooladolla

You'd be better posting an image of where the wires go, electrons don't care about colours or markings, we may get a clue from the connected electronics.

Didn't the position of the wires where they had parted company with the battery give any clue?

Does it make any difference?

Probably not. But the trouble is he will need the help of a Kamikaze mosquito to test it. thumbsup.gif

Try connecting your car battery reversed and come back with the result!

Actually don't, it will likely cost you the ECU, alternator, radio and probably the instrument cluster.

With your AC mains appliances the polarity largely matters not, DC from batteries is very different.

One of these wires goes on the positive terminal of the BATTERY

The other the negative. If you've got a zapper have a look for me....please

OK, mine has two black wires, one goes to battery +ve one to -ve.

Please post a photo of the works of the beast, we stand a chance of giving you an idea how to connect. Why did you not note where the wires were (or were near)?

I have just taken the battery covers off 3 of my zappers.

1. One green and one white wire

2. Two grey wires

3. Two black wires

None of the batteries have any +ve or -ve markings (none that I can see anyway).

I would take a 50-50 chance and connect the wires by guesswork, then press the button and see if the red light comes on. Regardless of the result, change the wires over and see if you get a different result. If one combination results in a red light and the other does not, you have your answer. If both results are the same, you are back to square 1.

Whatever you do, don't try to recharge from the mains unless you are certain you have it right. I once had a house fire resulting from a re-chargeable torch - burning plastic creates an unbelievable amount of acrid smoke - not good for ones health.

Get a professional on it, had a friend trying to figure out his fridge and got electrocuted.

I was assuming it is a tennis racquet style zapper - 100 to 400 Baht - so not worth employing an electrician.

I thought it was one of those ultraviolet things wired to the main power supply.

Don't want to mess with that. It's like a ceiling light. Stick a screwdriver in it or mess around and you fry if you don't know what you're doing. We have a couple outside in the garden.

Right then 'mosquito zapper' different meaning here.

The other end of the wires is a plug so not easy to determine polarity.

The wires were detached upon opening the unit

I'm becoming worried by some of your statements. Is this a mains powered device?

Why did you open the unit in the first place?

Expecting us to determine which wire goes where based upon a photo of two wires and some vague descriptions is taking the Michael, PLEASE post a good photo of the unit with the lid off.

Connecting the wires at random may work, or it may fry the electronics. Up 2 U.

Thanks, I'll do that. It's just one of those rechargeable devices. You open the battery compartment and see the battery which you you can disconnect from the motherboard as it has a plug in one side and SHOULD be soldered to the + and - of the battery. When I tried to charge it the first time it crackled so upon inspection I saw the wires weren't soldered properly to the battery. The voltmeter will do the trick once I re solder the thing .

Archived