Thian

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BS.

It's not BS, there are more hotels who claim to have 5 stars but according to Forbes they don't deserve them.

I stayed in the Mandarin Khao Yai some weeks ago and there wasn't anything to complain about, don't know if it's 5* there but it was good enough for us. Oh yes, the crying Thai kids during breakfast was a bummer, only that was annoying.

BS.

It's not BS, there are more hotels who claim to have 5 stars but according to Forbes they don't deserve them.

I stayed in the Mandarin Khao Yai some weeks ago and there wasn't anything to complain about, don't know if it's 5* there but it was good enough for us. Oh yes, the crying Thai kids during breakfast was a bummer, only that was annoying.

So Forbes can't produce BS? Their travel guide used to be Mobil Travel Guide. Would you really use a US gas station to rank hotels in Asia?

BS.

So Forbes can't produce BS? Their travel guide used to be Mobil Travel Guide. Would you really use a US gas station to rank hotels in Asia?

Everyone has their own opinion, but Forbes isn't world famous for the definitive hotel guide.

I've stayed in hotels in a great many countries especially in Europe, Asia and the Middle East. And, IMO, Thailand has some of the best for business and holiday travel. The worst, for me, were in LA and Romania and my "early time" in China 25 years ago.

Depends on your criteria.

I would rate the top 10 hotels in Bangkok as follows :

(This is my list, so you have the right to disagree, but I have stayed in all of these residences and there is a clear winner)

Location, size of room, atmosphere, facilities, proximity to the sky train, restaurants and pool areas.

1) The Eastin Sukosol

2) The Mandarin Oriental

3) The Shangri - La

4) The Sheraton Royal Orchid (Riverside)

5) The Peninsular

6) The Pullman

7) The Westin

9) The Sukosol

10) The Anantara (Formerly Marriott)

Edited by autanic

(This is my list, so you have the right to disagree, but I have stayed in all of these residences and there is a clear winner)

Location, size of room, atmosphere, facilities, proximity to the sky train, restaurants and pool areas.

1) The Eastin Sukosol

2) The Mandarin Oriental

3) The Shangri - La

5) The Peninsular

6) The Pullman

7) The Westin

9) The Sukosol

The Eastin Pratunam wouldn't even lift my fathers luggage into the taxi. It was a skinny girl there who even couldn't lift it if she wanted to try.

The Pullman is nice but the personell can't speak english. Speaking english is the biggest problem for all hotels though.

Sheraton Royal orchid don't know how to make coffee even when they have a "real" barista on the terrace. Also they don't give a dime if a guest damages her car on their steap driveway into the garage.

I don't know the other hotels but i guess it's all the same. No english, no trained personell.

For me a 5* hotel needs to have well trained personell who of course can speak good english.

1) The Eastin Sukosol

2) The Mandarin Oriental

3) The Shangri - La

5) The Peninsular

6) The Pullman

7) The Westin

9) The Sukosol

Some of the names are incorrect or confusing...and many are barely 4-Star but such lists are subjective by nature. Didn't even mention The St. Regis, Anantara Siam (formerly Four Seasons), The Okura, The Siam, or the Sheraton Grand Sukhumvit so not much cred for this list. Edited by OMGImInPattaya

BS.

Would you use a tyre company to rank restaurants & chefs? Seems to have been successful for over a century.

post-211093-14540489678013_thumb.jpg

To be a true 5 star hotel a range of fresh hot meals must be available at all times for service in the room.

English should be flawless and other euorpean language speaking staff should be available to assist at all time.

Needs of guests should be available regardless of hour. If a button needs sewing on it should be able to be done even at 4 am.

How many hotels meet this.

Most of you think of the Mandarin as being the one most people stay at...only a part of it is r5 star if that.

There is no internationally recognised definition of the star system for hotels so the ratings are purely subjective and have different criteria from country to country. In a so called "5 Star" all it tells you is that you will be paying more than in a so called "4 Star".

BS.

That's an idiotic argument. Things evolve don't they. Thunk bout it.

1) The Eastin Sukosol

2) The Mandarin Oriental

3) The Shangri - La

5) The Peninsular

6) The Pullman

7) The Westin

9) The Sukosol

Is #10 the former Four Seasons?

1) The Eastin Sukosol

2) The Mandarin Oriental

3) The Shangri - La

5) The Peninsular

6) The Pullman

7) The Westin

9) The Sukosol

What about the Nana Hotel?