Dozens of new traffic regulations take effect in Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last night we almost got hit by a motorcycle with a sidecar driving on the wrong side of the road without lights. The other rider wasn't wearing a helmet. I think that would be four infractions, none of which would be enforced. If we got hit, I'd probably get the ticket, as I'm a foreigner and the person on the other motorcycle was obviously Thai. Amazing Thailand.

The elephant in the room is enforcement. Without strict and continuous enforcement, it doesn't matter how many new rules and regulations they add. Just more reasons for the BiB to have a hand out.

Now, Now. You know they don't keep elephants in rooms!

you can bring out all regulations you want but they will be worthless unless you have a trained, professional and non-corrupt police force and judicial system prepared to enforce them and punish those who contravene them.

As I read this my take is that these rules will be enforced only in Bangkok as usual and to hell with the rest of the country. Central government at its finest. They could put a cop outside my condo every night and rake in dozens of violators of the above mentioned new rules but sadly no. I would even be wasting my time calling in to report this problem. The police force is a sham. They only work in the central city where they get the largest amount of offenders for the least amount of work. Sad.

This is not a new law but a law that all local police will turn there head to. Laws mean nothing in ThaiIand unless you have money but the poor workers walk away almost free any time. Little villages no law and it will never happen. The PM wants law in Bangkok so he can be PM forever because nothing can fix Thailand. Country is like the wild wild west and the Mafia will always control Thailand more than the government. In to deep and more money to spend on protection and safety!

They had a (short) purge on cars/pickups/motorcycles up here in Phitsanulok for additional LED lighting on the vehicles.

Wonder if they have added this to the Bkk new/modified rules?

As for modifications to personal vehicles, as long as the car has a valid MOT after the changes, deeming it road-worthy, the alterations can be added to the registration book by the relevant authorizing office making it legal to drive.

That is my understanding, but am willing to be proved wrong with that...............wink.png

I didn't know we had new regulations and also didn't notice any changes since 25 februari.

I have seen the police stopping trucks and loaded pickups though, and causing big traffic jams during that.

They didn't stop me anymore which is good!

"More than 6,500 people were cited for driving motorbikes on sidewalks."

How many police officers were among them?

I have all varieties of motorcycles zooming by me daily as I walk along sidewalks in downtown Bangkok, particularly along Sukhumvit Road at rush hours.

And, in years of living here, I've never ever seen the police cite any motorcyclist for driving on sidewalks, the right way or the wrong way vs traffic!!!

But to make matters worse, earlier this month along Sukhumvit Road, I did for what I think was the first time I can recall encounter a pair of motorcycle police guys riding their motorcycle along the Sukhumvit sidewalk heading the same direction as traffic. No lights or sirens, no rushing or speeding, just mozying along trying to get past the walking pedestrians.

I wonder if they can now ticket themselves next time??? whistling.gifbah.gif

"driving the wrong way the most common offense."

You don't say? I never noticed that. tongue.png

Quite obvious, they All drive on the wrong (left) side here in LOS giggle.gif

They will change to the right hand side in the next couple of weeks but need to faze it in. They will start with Trucks & Buses, then cars & motorbikes a week later.

Where can we get these laws [and road code] in English?

How about stopping/removing the use of flashing lights from non emergency vehicles, including the Harley Davidson gang bikes, total ahs.

Anybody can use red/blue flashinglights in Thailand, also shops along the roads use them to get attention. I even don't react anymore for emergency lights.

Some idiots even have those lights as breaklights mounted on their vehicles.

The Police still do nothing so nothing has changed.

Edited by Thian

Dozens of new traffic regulations??

never mind new ones

I'd be happy if they actually enforced the existing ones....

coffee1.gif

wai2.gif

Exactly. My wife had a bump yesterday with a guy going the wrong way on the Chonburi bypass. He put his hands up so no police, another unreported crime. The statistics cannot be taken seriously.

It is not the regulations that are the problem, she is of the opinion that the police are not properly trained in traffic regulations, ignorance would obviously make uniform enforcement extremely difficult.

We are all aware of how some police take advantage of the situation.

I reckon at any given time, there would be at least 40K riders in greater Bangkok that are riding without helmets. Just enforcing the law would net millions for the BiB in a short space of time...but in the long run their income would dry up.

Nah, Thai's are stubborn.

The helmet law was passed in 2000,

and after 16 years,

it still hasn't taken much effect on the motorist,

aside from the motorcycle taxi drivers.

i.e. Thai gets a ticket for not wearing a helmet,

he thinks well...

now I can drive around as much as I want for the rest of the day without worry

of a 2nd infraction for not wearing that plastic bowl on thy head. thumbsup.gif

Good stuff...

Good stuff...

Was with some friends driving home just after dark last night on Sukhumvit here in Pattaya. We started counting the number of drivers without helmets. Gave up as there were just too many. So, being stuck in a bit of traffic, decided to county those without helmets AND no tail light. After 10 minutes we were well over 20.

New laws mean nothing unless they are properly enforced.

Gotta disconnect those back lights! Can't have ghosts following you home!

Was with some friends driving home just after dark last night on Sukhumvit here in Pattaya. We started counting the number of drivers without helmets. Gave up as there were just too many. So, being stuck in a bit of traffic, decided to county those without helmets AND no tail light. After 10 minutes we were well over 20.

New laws mean nothing unless they are properly enforced.

Gotta disconnect those back lights! Can't have ghosts following you home!

There are NO new laws, just increased fines! Enforcement will remain unchanged.

Two dozen new traffic regulations took effect Jan. 25

It seems you are mistaken?

As far as I can see, the 'new laws' are already covered in the Land Traffic Act (1979) and the Motor Vehicle Act.(1979)

The vast majority of the new prohibitions relate to illegal modification of cars, usually done by street racers or those adding large stereo systems to park on or cruise local streets. Examples include lowering or raising the chassis, oversized wheels, extra lights or windows replaced with rollbars. In most cases, fines will be 2,000 or less.

The vast majority of people who modify their cars do not street race! Another set of laws put in place by the do gooders society. Freedom of expression on your motorized vehicle is now banned. We should all drive a yellow honda civic or buy a bicycle.

post-221427-14541556774432_thumb.jpg

Why does the heading of this post say "Bangkok"

Is Bangkok a different country to Thailand ?

Don't these laws apply to the whole country ?

No they don't.

Every single street in Thailand has it's own laws and rules. Thailand consists of millions of small country's all together.

Bangkok has metred taxi's but Phuket or Samui don't have them.

Some streets in BKK they all drive against traffic, in other streets you won't see that. It depends of the policeman.

In BKK-citycentre you can't throw a cigaretbutt on the street while the rest of Thailand doesn't care at all.

But this whole new traffic regulations thing is just a big farce. I still have never seen a policeman stopping a motocy without a helmet except on the checkpoints. At the checkpoints i've seen them drive away after being stopped with the policeman holding their arm but that didn't help at all. I've also been in groups of helmetless motocydrivers when we entered a checkpoint, they all turned 180 degree's and drove back against traffic, nothing happened.

When there's a checkpoint on the mainroad many drivers go onto the frontroad and pass it, nothing happens.

The police is just as laughable like a mr Bean movie. They also demanded me to stop while i drove on the fast lane with the motocy but i didn't see him pointing at me, nothing happened. Also today i saw a policeman waiving with a lighted torch, i had no idea what he was meaning, guess he meant the cars had to pull up faster. They all just do something for the show. They even don't have a real stop-sign which you have to obey. Also anybody can have a red/blue flashlight on his vehicle or house/shop....there is no law at all.

Also on the roads there are no laws, i see big congestion while there's an old lady in a camry driving 50 on the fast lane of the ringroad. Nobody will horn or make her go to the left side....

The police can make big money by enforcing the law.....but they don't do it for some reason. Guess they fear to get shot while on duty.

The vast majority of people who modify their cars do not street race!

Yes, it's mostly only bling in here. Got a spoiler, DRL's and some other small stuff in my daily banger as well, guess that makes me a criminal worthy of a fine same as running some one over with a bus.