police crackdown

zeichen

Man, you can inform yourself BEFORE entering a foreign country. If you do same in UK the fine would be 10 times higher. DELETED and follow legislation. If you can't get an international Llicense....take a Baht bus or go by foot.

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was never legal to drive without international licence if you don't have a Thai one. Your insurance is also not worth the paper and never was, as you are driving without a valid permit.

Some people want to learn it the hard way. Go for it smile.png.

It is amazing how many people make posts that are INCORRECT.

It is legal to drive here with most European and USA Full licenses. FULL STOP.

I have asked Insurance Co. I have asked Police, I have asked Lawyer, I have asked Consulate. Are they all wrong ????

I have shown UK license at police stations when paying legit fines, I have had Insurance Companies repair all scratches etc, before I sell car to get new one. I have shown license to Insurance companies to buy new/renew insurance. All in the last 14 years !!

P.S. I have also been asked to pay 'on the spot' fines for having 'wrong' license, I REFUSED to pay, I have never been to jail !

1. stop being so angry

2. as long as you have a license appropriate to what you are driving (ie: car license for car, bike for bike) yes, you are right, most insurance companies are fine

3. but you're also wrong for long term stayers.

I've driven the world over on my Australian drivers license, but Thailand, like the US, Australia, Canada, and most of Europe (and presumably Asia except China) as well have a simple rule, and it's from the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic: if you live in a place longer than 3 months you are required to obtain a local drivers license.

That's not fiction, that's fact, end of story.

Just because you got away driving on a foreign license doesn't change that fact.

It was never legal to drive without international licence if you don't have a Thai one. Your insurance is also not worth the paper and never was, as you are driving without a valid permit.

I have asked Insurance Co. I have asked Police, I have asked Lawyer, I have asked Consulate. Are they all wrong ????

I have shown UK license at police stations when paying legit fines, I have had Insurance Companies repair all scratches etc, before I sell car to get new one. I have shown license to Insurance companies to buy new/renew insurance. All in the last 14 years !!

P.S. I have also been asked to pay 'on the spot' fines for having 'wrong' license, I REFUSED to pay, I have never been to jail !

1. stop being so angry

2. as long as you have a license appropriate to what you are driving (ie: car license for car, bike for bike) yes, you are right, most insurance companies are fine

3. but you're also wrong for long term stayers.

I've driven the world over on my Australian drivers license, but Thailand, like the US, Australia, Canada, and most of Europe (and presumably Asia except China) as well have a simple rule, and it's from the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic: if you live in a place longer than 3 months you are required to obtain a local drivers license.

That's not fiction, that's fact, end of story.

Just because you got away driving on a foreign license doesn't change that fact.

OP has just got back in town.

Yes, but have you ever had a serious accident, where people have been seriously injured? Not sure the insurance companies would be interested in paying for that, if you don't have a valid license.

if you are in country less than 6 six months thai insurance will cover you. you need a valid home country license. more than 6 months need a valid local license. insurance will check your passport to make sure if accident . there are so many expats that come and go and buy cars auto business here is 20% farang insurance companies here can not chose to be draconian. that is why so many insurance companies are the car companies.

Sorry no. For many insurance companies the limit is 3 months.

To drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai (IDP). The licence needs to have been issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences. Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic.

Although International Driving Permits are valid for one year after being issued (France may have a 3 year IDP), after three months many comprehensive insurance policies are made void if still driving on a foreign licence. Several insurance companies have a fine print stating that the driver should hold a valid Thai driving licence to be fully covered.

Well, you are in the wrong here. Be happy the BiB let you off the hook. If you have an accident no insurance will cover you and you may even end up in jail.

Absolutely incorrect. I have driven in Thailand for more than a decade, claimed on the insurance on about five occasions (and with three different insurance companies). I only use a UK driving licence and the insurance company (every one of them) never bats an eyelid. Not even a flinch.

The requirement, I've been told on numerous occasions, is for a "valid driving licence". No need for a Thai driving licence, according to insurance.

" claimed on the insurance on about five occasions (and with three different insurance companies)."

Wow. 5 claims in 10 years or so.

"a "valid driving licence". "

Valid for Thailand would be a Thai driving license or, for a relatively short period of time, an International license. If you are suppose to have a valid visa to enter the country, that doesn't mean a valid visa for some other country.

Just because you managed to get away with something doesn't make it legal.

if you are in country less than 6 six months thai insurance will cover you. you need a valid home country license. more than 6 months need a valid local license. insurance will check your passport to make sure if accident . there are so many expats that come and go and buy cars auto business here is 20% farang insurance companies here can not chose to be draconian. that is why so many insurance companies are the car companies.

Sorry no. For many insurance companies the limit is 3 months.

To drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai (IDP). The licence needs to have been issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences. Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic.

Although International Driving Permits are valid for one year after being issued (France may have a 3 year IDP), after three months many comprehensive insurance policies are made void if still driving on a foreign licence. Several insurance companies have a fine print stating that the driver should hold a valid Thai driving licence to be fully covered.

OP has just got back in town.

I agree :) :) :) :) :) :)

If they have the details in ENGLISH and a picture they may be OK for up to THREE months.

They were all the wrong people to ask. The only authority is the DLT (Department of Land Transport )

Insurance companies, lawyers and consulates only give an opinion they are not the responsible body.

In Thailand the RTP may not have (or be prepared to share) an exact knowledge of the law.

Well, you are in the wrong here. Be happy the BiB let you off the hook. If you have an accident no insurance will cover you and you may even end up in jail.

Not necessarily, it depends on in which country your driving licence was issued. The International Driving Permit is not a licence as such but merely a transcript of your home country's driving licence. See the following for the rules relating to using an Australian driving licence in Thailand.

Australia does have a treaty with Thailand - Geneva Traffic act 1949

Section 42

Anyone who wishes to drive a motor vehicle on public roads must possess an appropriate driver's license. The driver must carry the driver's license and a photocopy of the registration book and show them to competent officers upon request. This does not apply for those who are learning to drive a motor vehicle according to the provision of Section 57.

If the driver is an alien who doesn't have an immigrant visa, he may drive a motor vehicle with a driver's license specified in the Section 42-2. In such a case, he must carry documents specified by the treaty between the Thai government and the government which issued such driver's license, and show them to competent officers upon request.

Section 42-2

In case there's a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver's license, an alien who doesn't have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver's license issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorized by such a foreign government.

However, it is very easy to get an IDP and I always do although I have driven quite legally in the USA, UK, and Ireland on my Australian driving licence.

As far as I know, only Singapore, Laos and Malaysia issued licenses are good for driving in Thailand, other than Thai DL, of course.

There are a lot of assumptions and very negative posts.

I just asked a simple question and now every troll on TV comes out of the woodwork.

I have lived here for many years and have had Thai driver's license before when I was here for long periods of time. But when I am here for shorter periods, I have always had my US license. This time I was gone for about 6 months and I just got back 3 days ago. Actually I am on a 30 day stamp so it isn't even a tourist visa. I was told that I couldn't get the residency permit with that. So it is just a little bit of a catch 22.

I have never been asked for an international permit before, only my license.

Today in the few minutes that I was waiting for the officer to give me change for the bribe, I noticed that they pulled over about 8 other foreigners but let every Thai person drive through except for the 2 without helmets.

I was just wondering if they were trying to make a point with the International permit recently? I always wear a helmet and follow all the rules of the road. Normally they just pull people over for no helmet or expired plates. I didn't need 3 pages of diatribe about how evil and ignorant I am.

I am only here for a few weeks before heading abroad, but yes, when I return I will get my Thai license again.

"Wow, be happy it was just a unofficial stop to get brib money. The new law is 10,000฿ fine."

Can you please provide the link? Because the Police Sights that I have seen says 3-500 baht for most vehicular violations.

A lot of folks are arguing about vocabulary words... International Drivers 'License' or International Drivers 'Permit.' The correct term is 'Permit.' Not 'license.'

BUT... we all know what we are talking about when we say "International Drivers Something..."

Thailand requires either a Thai driver's license or a combination of your home country's license PLUS an IDP. This combination is only valid for 90 days regardless of how long your IDP will last.

As for 'legality...' The IDP is only useful along side a valid driver's LICENSE from your home country. And only valid for the same conditions as on your home country's license. If you don't have a motorcycle endorsement on your home country's license, you are not licensed to drive a motorcycle (even if you have an IDP) anywhere.

If your home country is a co-signer of the treaty, you can use your home country's license in any other co-signing country IF you also have a IDP.

The IDP is valid for one year. (Or more, depending on the issuing body.) This is so you can travel through several different countries on your vacation without having to get several different IDPs. BUT... you can NOT drive with it (and your home country's license) in the SAME location for more than 90 (or 30) days! Yes, the IDP is valid, but most countries have issued limitations for foreigners using them. In Japan, if you use one for more than 90 days and are caught by the police, you can face deportation, not just a fine. You are required to get a local diver's license if you are going to drive in a foreign country for any extended period of time. That's the law.

So to sum it all up... If you are a tourist or new resident you can use your home country's driver's license together with an IDP, and it is valid in Thailand for 90 days use. Then Thailand requires that you get a Thai driver's license. You can still use that IDP and rent a car in Malaysia or Lao as long as it hasn't expired. You are just not permitted to continue to use it in Thailand.

Edited by FolkGuitar

Funny how you can rent a car with Avis just with your foreign licence, but it's illegal according to most of the posters here!!!

I'll be the first to say I don't know what's the actual legality on this issue in Thailand (I'm not sure anyone here actually does with any certainty or authority), and I've fortunately never yet had a driving accident in Thailand to find out.

But I do know, in the past, I've rented cars from most of the major commercial car rental agencies in Thailand, and all they ever cared about was seeing, and keeping a copy of, my state DL from the U.S. None of them ever even asked about or wanted to see an International Driving Permit. And I always took out renter's insurance full accident coverage from them as part of the rental.

So, if they rent me the car inclusive of full insurance and accept my U.S. driver's license solely as part of the rental, it would seem to be pretty difficult for them to later claim, in the event of the accident, that they wouldn't cover me because I didn't possess an IDP. (I'm not saying that prospect is impossible, however).

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Wrong!!! You need a International Driving Permition!!! A lot of policemen accepted your national one but it is against the law!!!

The onliest national driving licenses what accepted by the law are from ASEAN countries.

But no problem for me. I have both from Thailand.

Edited by snowgard

You get stopped and you call it A crack down.Just A Thai police wanting some extra money 500 baht mi pin li.

What I do always before going to Thailand I get A International Drivers PERMIT.No such thing as A license.It is possible to

Get A Thai drivers license with just A passport.But it depends where you go.

The Geneva Act describes the International License. There are actually 2 systems which are both accepted. You can't drive with only your local license alone.

Are you sure? I am not saying that you are incorrect as reading the Act it seems a bit ambiguous. However, the IDP, it seems to me, is not a licence but a permit which is simply a copy of your licence. However, I know that I can legally drive in the UK, USA and Ireland on my Australian driving licence. Usually a driving permit is a licence to drive if you have not received a full licence (i.e. you are a learner driver) unless you have a fully licenced driver with you.

The Geneva Convention 1949 CAN request International Drivers permit for add to Natioinal Driver licence.So it follow domestic rules.

Convention on Road Traffic done at Vienna November 8 1968

Must accept NDL if its as standart add for convention.

If not in standart, must add IDP.

Thailand ratification Geneva Convention

But only signed Vienna.

Rental agencies really don't care if you break the law by driving without an IDP. They just need to see your driver's license to be sure to follow 'their' guidelines to protect their vehicles. Doesn't make much sense to rent a car or motorcycle to someone who can't drive one. (Or at least, hopefully can drive one.)

"Dont listen to the girl who sold you your policy. You need to be a legal driver.:

I have a drivers license. It has always been legal to drive here on my US license. No police have ever said in the 15 years that I have been here that I need an international license. I have insurance on the bike so please stick to the facts.

When did they change and crack down on only Thai license or International license?

Sir! You really need to get off your arrogant high-horse, then recognize that you've been just plain farang khao lucky, for the past 15 years of your life, in The Kingdom. Thailand is ASEAN changing, rapidly, and the farang "party" is over.

Your U.S. driver's license, allows you to drive within the 50 states Zone of Interior only. Both Canada & Mexico can legally refuse you entry to both those countries, if you do not possess the additional International Driver's Permit book, available @ your local AAA office.

Edited by TuskegeeBen

Funny how you can rent a car with Avis just with your foreign licence, but it's illegal according to most of the posters here!!!

With a British, European or American licence, you can rent a car anywhere in the world from a reputable company and be fully insured. It's what tourist's do, it's part of being a tourist, it's sanctioned by the government of that country. If you want to drive from LA - Chicago do you have to take a driving test during your months vacation before you can do it? Car hire firms would go out of business!

With a British, European or American licence, you can rent a car anywhere in the world from a reputable company and be fully insured. It's what tourist's do, it's part of being a tourist, it's sanctioned by the government of that country. If you want to drive from LA - Chicago do you have to take a driving test during your months vacation before you can do it? Car hire firms would go out of business!

Some people will argue the facts with a wall whistling.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

The problem here, as the OP found out, is there is no real meaningful law in Thailand. The laws that are real (clearly stated in statute) routinely aren't enforced. And laws that aren't real often are enforced by the police at their whim.

The result is, a policeman can pull you over and demand 500 baht -- pretty much regardless of whether your U.S. license alone is or isn't technically valid in Thailand. Once a policeman does that, your options for fighting it are pretty poor.

Say the OP had his U.S. license and an IDP and the policeman still pulled him over and demanded 500 baht for not having a Thai DL, then what???

not yet if not any agrement about use driver license in some place. Reputable company Not give you car with out insurance. and insurance company asks valid driver permit( for this is place).

in Thailand on the international law of treaties ( vienna convention 1968, geneva convention 1949) acceptible NDL if its follow standart ( standart some times change).

About Thai police it another thinks.

1. geneva convention 1949: Local authorities IDP may require in addition to the NDL . Its mean Thai police not must accept NDL , but can.

so in total if you have NDL+ IDP and in terms as tourist police can not refused it.,

2.vienna convention 1968: must accept NDL if its have standarts. if not standarts need add IDP.

Thailand only signated only I signed but not ratified it.

so there can be problems.
Thailand on the one hand must not contradict the basic provisions of the treaty and does not question the important article about ID .
only I signed but not ratified it.
so there can be problems.
Thailand on the one hand must not contradict the basic provisions of the treaty and does not question the important article about the documents.
But in international law there is a more serious precedents when the signatory countries (but not ratified the treaty) are contrary to the part of the agreements.
so that no one with Thailand plead not be on such a petty matter.
Well, it is a normal exit request Thai police only requests the addition IDP. i guess it small thinks.
and now about Insurance INTERNATIONAL company.
Its tyotal be defferent.
INTERNATIONAL company can't do not recognize international agreements as vienna convention 1968, geneva convention 1949 ..
So what why they accept all NDL follow this is agreements and what why can rent car. even can have payment from Insurance Company.
But can be fined from Thai police. And all This is be legally and IN LOW.
biggrin.png
sorry about my English
Edited by ardokano