Easy Study Thai Language school closed

stuurman

One of Chiang Mai’s most reputable language schools, Easy Study Thai located on the 3rd floor of Pantip Plaza (near the Night Bazar), closes down its operations today.

Rumour has it that the popular language school with several hundreds of students was brought down by Immigration: a series of ‘incidents’ with inadequate papers for education visa would have led Immigration to finally revoke the school’s license, sources within the school report.

Full story:

In the past, other Thai language schools in Chiang Mai also got in problems due to education visa, for example the CMU Language Institute lost its license a few years ago and many foreign students lost their student visa while not being compensated for the remaining hours of study.

That's not the reason I heard at the time they stopped classes, but I will let more informed readers comment.

"Immigration" does not licence language schools but the Min Ed. does and it is them who decide if a course qualifies for an Ed Visa.

Immigration are correct when they enforce the conditions of the "visa" which includes the difficult (for some) task of actually attending classes.

Edited by sunnyjim5

Walen has moved out of its Times Square location on Sukhumvit. Seems like it was fairly recent that he was peddling franchises on TVF. Easy Thai had built its reputation by catering to those turned off by the visa mills (those already in possession of a visa). You know what they say about getting too close to the sewer.....

For MoE licensed language schools to provide paperwork to support non-immigrant ED visas and their extensions, the curriculum the school submitted to the MoE must match current non-imm ED visa requirements. Current requirements have changed significantly over the last 2 years. It's possible to change curriculum to meet current requirements but the process takes time. Immigration will refuse applications for extensions if the curriculum of the school doesn't meet current requirements.

All MoE licensed language schools are fully aware of current requirements.

Khru Yai was my teacher for some of the higher level courses at the YMCA. At the same time, she was teaching a course at the CMU Language Institute a couple evenings a week. CMU gave its students an ED visa, the YMCA didn't -- we were taking the class to actually learn Thai.

She'd come to class at the Y the morning after teaching at CMU, look around and see that everyone was there and then ask if we'd done our homework? She'd watch in amazement as we all took it out and placed it on our desks. She'd stand at the front of the room in stunned wonder that A.) everyone in the class had showed up, in the morning, on time and B.) we'd all done our homework. She said that wasn't the case at the CMU language institute. She actually had to set aside time during class for people to do their "homework".

But, she liked what she was being paid to teach at CMU -- it was better than the Y. But, she didn't have much respect for the students who were only interested in taking Thai lessons to get a visa.

She was one of the best Thai teachers I've had, esp. for higher level explanations of Thai grammar and idiom.

Was just considering restarting my attempts to get ahead from basic-level Thai - using EasyStudyThai as I've also had past experience of Khru Yai's excellent tuition, both privately and at a Thai conversation class , one of the Expat Club outside activity groups a long while ago. Seems my timing was way out!

Does anyone know if she will still be involved with the new school, or can anyone pm me with her (long-lost by me) phone number?

my info is that they had a 'run in' and could not get the Ed Visa's anymore but that a couple of the teachers will be starting a new version, unrelated to Yai, at Pantip early Feb

"They" were never able to "get" or issue Ed Visas !

Ed visas are only issued by Thai Embassies/Consulates to individuals who apply, in person, with the correct supportive paperwork.

my info is that they had a 'run in' and could not get the Ed Visa's anymore but that a couple of the teachers will be starting a new version, unrelated to Yai, at Pantip early Feb

"They" were never able to "get" or issue Ed Visas !

Ed visas are only issued by Thai Embassies/Consulates to individuals who apply, in person, with the correct supportive paperwork.

most on here will realize what I meant as all the schools 'facilitate' obtaining Ed Visa's and EST could not do so after some dodgy paperwork issues

I would say most schools that cater to Foreigners including Easy Study Thai had

1. Students that actually did want to learn and made an effort (didnt need a visa)

2. Students that did not care to learn Thai and wanted the visa

3. Students that wanted the visa and wanted to learn

Most of these schools would cater to both 1 ,2 and 3 without question, as I mentioned in posts before you often see advertisements saying stay in Thailand for 5 years in big bold letters then in little tiny letters learn thai...

But with all the changes to obtaining a visa over the last couple of years things began to change. First they hit the tourist visas and I knew right there that people taking advantage of the Tourist Visa to live in Thailand would soon be changing to Student Visas and that is exactly what happen, even more people starting to apply for student visas and most did not go to school

So the next step was to hit the school I had a few friends on the "Fake Student Visa" as I liked to call it where you would either pay the school and never go or you pay an agency even more and they would take care of all the reports, 90 days etc so you wouldnt get tested at immigration.

So new rules were put into place, such as going to school four times a week, having to show your attendance, random immigration checks, short visa periods, having to leave the country very year if you wanted to continue to on with the ED Visa. It certainly is not as easy anymore and my friends that were on this FAke Student visa the agency are no longer letting them do it....

It was good and bad, first it helped get people taking advantage of the visa but it also resulted in people that were legitimate having issues, new rules every week it seemed and the pressure of the 90 day report where you think you would get tested and blow the interview, we all have our bad days of trying to learn the language, what if the officer speaks really fast, what if they have a different dialect etc.

In any case this has resulted in many schools closing some because they were breaking the rules and got caught(though surely many were taking advantage of visa mill options), not as many student sign ups as people that only wanted it for the visa no longer see it as an option.

This school probably was caught or just could not make ends meet with all the restrictions and loss of students. So instead of trying to bring life back into this school, they just looked like they started with a fresh plate with same teachers and new school name.... Not sure what that means to all the people that had a visa under the old school

1. Students that actually did want to learn and made an effort (didnt need a visa)

Most of these schools would cater to both 1 ,2 and 3 without question, as I mentioned in posts before you often see advertisements saying stay in Thailand for 5 years in big bold letters then in little tiny letters learn thai...

But with all the changes to obtaining a visa over the last couple of years things began to change. First they hit the tourist visas and I knew right there that people taking advantage of the Tourist Visa to live in Thailand would soon be changing to Student Visas and that is exactly what happen, even more people starting to apply for student visas and most did not go to school

So the next step was to hit the school I had a few friends on the "Fake Student Visa" as I liked to call it where you would either pay the school and never go or you pay an agency even more and they would take care of all the reports, 90 days etc so you wouldnt get tested at immigration.

So new rules were put into place, such as going to school four times a week, having to show your attendance, random immigration checks, short visa periods, having to leave the country very year if you wanted to continue to on with the ED Visa. It certainly is not as easy anymore and my friends that were on this FAke Student visa the agency are no longer letting them do it....

It was good and bad, first it helped get people taking advantage of the visa but it also resulted in people that were legitimate having issues, new rules every week it seemed and the pressure of the 90 day report where you think you would get tested and blow the interview, we all have our bad days of trying to learn the language, what if the officer speaks really fast, what if they have a different dialect etc.

In any case this has resulted in many schools closing some because they were breaking the rules and got caught(though surely many were taking advantage of visa mill options), not as many student sign ups as people that only wanted it for the visa no longer see it as an option.

This school probably was caught or just could not make ends meet with all the restrictions and loss of students. So instead of trying to bring life back into this school, they just looked like they started with a fresh plate with same teachers and new school name.... Not sure what that means to all the people that had a visa under the old school

don't let facts get in the way right?

1. they had could not issue ED Visas because of an 'issue' with the Ed Dept.
  2. no they are not 're-starting with a new 'name plate' but some of the teachers are starting their own school
  3. it was not connected to 'new rules' it was a specific problem due to paperwork

the teachers there were excellent but you seem to be using a great deal of 'guesswork' whereas I know the facts

well I was guessing as I used terms like probably and mostly and many schools and I never actually said that these were the 100% reasons of why the school closed. I do have some knowledge of the school as I went and a couple of friends and at the time the school was more then happy to alter the rules for friends that were not really interested in going or signing people up to a 60 hour private course but writing 180 hours on the papers for immigration.. I saw it so I was assuming that much like other schools I believe they did actually want to train people but were also taking advantage of the ed visa mill.

as for your reasons, issues with the ED Department or problems due to specific paperwork, those sound like politician answers. Not actually giving you a final reason but more of an answer to keep those from inquiring even more. I was also referencing the original posters message and the article on how immigration mentioned a series of incidents and inadequate visa forms which much like my example above could have let to the demise of the school

It is well known that all the changes to the ED Visa rules that immigration made were to find the schools that were breaking the rules and clean out the students that were not studying at all, if Easy Study Thai just could not keep up with the regulations and changes and made some mistakes then that is unfortunate

In any case, I personally don't know the reason why they closed nor will I ever know. I hope their new school is very successful and helps lots of people learn and enjoy the language and culture of Thailand.

Edited by krey

2. no they are not 're-starting with a new 'name plate' but some of the teachers are starting their own school
  3. it was not connected to 'new rules' it was a specific problem due to paperwork

the teachers there were excellent but you seem to be using a great deal of 'guesswork' whereas I know the facts

Fact!

1. Schools have never and cannot issue Ed VISAS ------------ FACT !

Only Thai Embassies/Consulates issue Visas !

Yes I Am aware the school is not the one that actually issues the visa but they are the ones that usually fill in the paper work

for the student and tell them what they can and cannot do.. all i am saying is it was much easier to stay in Thailand in the past on a student visa and not go to school and some schools took advantage of this, I been to several schools and I knew people in all of them that didnt know much more then the word hello.. those days seem to be over for the most part and that is fine by me...

Edited by krey

Walen has moved out of its Times Square location on Sukhumvit. Seems like it was fairly recent that he was peddling franchises on TVF. Easy Thai had built its reputation by catering to those turned off by the visa mills (those already in possession of a visa). You know what they say about getting too close to the sewer.....

This is not TRUE. We on the 24th floor, please visit us and see for yourself.

Walen School - you will not be disappointed.

post-46756-0-06601900-1454352841_thumb.j

And another Asperger-afflicted person enters the fray. Who else could get so passionate about such a dry datum?

pedant |ˈpednt|

noun

a person who is excessively concerned with minor details and rules or with displaying academic learning.

Fact!

and you point IS? schools do the paperwork and facilitate FACT!

well I was guessing as I used terms like probably and mostly and many schools and I never actually said that these were the 100% reasons of why the school closed. I do have some knowledge of the school as I went and a couple of friends and at the time the school was more then happy to alter the rules for friends that were not really interested in going or signing people up to a 60 hour private course but writing 180 hours on the papers for immigration.. I saw it so I was assuming that much like other schools I believe they did actually want to train people but were also taking advantage of the ed visa mill.

as for your reasons, issues with the ED Department or problems due to specific paperwork, those sound like politician answers. Not actually giving you a final reason but more of an answer to keep those from inquiring even more. I was also referencing the original posters message and the article on how immigration mentioned a series of incidents and inadequate visa forms which much like my example above could have let to the demise of the school

It is well known that all the changes to the ED Visa rules that immigration made were to find the schools that were breaking the rules and clean out the students that were not studying at all, if Easy Study Thai just could not keep up with the regulations and changes and made some mistakes then that is unfortunate

In any case, I personally don't know the reason why they closed nor will I ever know. I hope their new school is very successful and helps lots of people learn and enjoy the language and culture of Thailand.

let's go through it one more time?

do I know them? yes

do I know why they closed? yes

was it because there was a problem with paperwork and no more Ed Visas? yes

are they starting a new school? no

good we cleared that up and, yes, good luck with a few of the teachers who used to work there setting up their OWN school