What's involved in converting B visa to retirement

I'm finishing up a year with a work permit and B visa. I want to convert my visa back into a retirement visa like I had for many years before I accepted my job. Can I do this in Phuket without leaving the country? Are there any requirements that are different as compared with changing a tourist visa into a retirement visa for the first time?

Thanks.

• If you're referring to changing the reason for an extension of stay from work to retirement then yes it can be done at your local immigration office. You will need 800k in the bank for 3 months or a certified income of 65k pm or a combination of the two.

If you have a non B visa then you could apply for an extension of stay based on retirement within the last 30 days of any 90 day permit to stay.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm wondering whether the new retirement visa would be considered a renewal (in which case the 800k needs to age 90 days), or whether it would be considered a first-time issuance (which only needs 60 days). I fear that this might be one of those areas where the interpretation depends on the immigration officer on duty that day. Anyone know?

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm wondering whether the new retirement visa would be considered a renewal (in which case the 800k needs to age 90 days), or whether it would be considered a first-time issuance (which only needs 60 days). I fear that this might be one of those areas where the interpretation depends on the immigration officer on duty that day. Anyone know?

• I think it will almost certainly be 3 months if it is not your first extension of stay of your last entry but it might be worth asking at the local office.
  • If that's a problem you could get a new non 'O' visa from a local embassy/consulate. The funds do not need to be seasoned and it will give you the extra time needed.

You will need a termination letter from your employer dated for the date you plan on applying for the extension based upon retirement so that immigration can cancel your current extension.

Most immigration offices consider the first extension to be one for a new visa entry to qualify for the 60 days. You should be prepared to have int the bank for 3 months.

You will need a termination letter from your employer dated for the date you plan on applying for the extension based upon retirement so that immigration can cancel your current extension.

Most immigration offices consider the first extension to be one for a new visa entry to qualify for the 60 days. You should be prepared to have int the bank for 3 months.

I have just done exactly what OP is asking about and can confirm that it worked exactly as described here, in Phuket.

They wanted to see the bank letter, a print-out of the last 3 months account activity from the bank and the original bank book for the same account. With the letter from Labour dept., confirming the termination of the work permit, the whole process was over in one visit. Fairly painless.

Please note that a multiple entry permit, if required, needs to be applied for separately after the retirement extension is granted. Any reentry permit issued with the non-B expires concurrently with the change from employment to retirement. That, too, was no big deal.

Edited by fstarbkk

You might have a problem. Here in Pattaya you simply cannot have an extension for retirement on a non-b visa. The two are mutually exclusive. A non-b is a working visa, so you are either retired or working....you need to change to a non-o. That means leaving the country. I guess the rules are different where you are judging by the advice others have offered.

You might have a problem. Here in Pattaya you simply cannot have an extension for retirement on a non-b visa. The two are mutually exclusive. A non-b is a working visa, so you are either retired or working....you need to change to a non-o. That means leaving the country. I guess the rules are different where you are judging by the advice others have offered.

The condition for a retirement extension is that you entered with a non immigrant visa and the fact that it was category 'B' shouldn't be a problem.

It can be a problem going the other way as non 'O' issued on the basis of retirement can't be used to get a work permit. In that case the person would need to exit the country and get a non 'B' visa.

I am speaking from personal experience about Pattaya immigration. Should'nt be a problem...... should read...... might/will be a problem. I solved the issue by applying and receiving an extension based on marriage.

The op needs to bear in mind his visa ends when his wp is cancelled. He/she needs tobe absolutely clear on the local immigration office interpretation of the rules. A visit to immigration for a definitive answer might be the best course of action!

Minewas the soi 5 answer in Jomtien. How the rules are applied elsewhere is a matter for debate.

I wish the op the best of luck!