Thailand's govt pressures Facebook, Line to censor online posts

webfact

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder why the junta supporters are fewer and fewer on TVF.....coffee1.gif

Come on, EJ, djjamie and other stalwarts, spin this one if you can. No wait, I'll do it for you; THAKSIN!

I liked the junta at first.. now I like them a lot less because of stuff like this. I still dislike the PTP too.. so not much choice for me now. If the laws that they are going to make keeps the PTP in line next election (forcing them to play by the rules and no secret votes at 3.00am or amnesties for Thanksin) then this has all been worth it. Otherwise it was all for nothing.

Don't forget who gave them the perfect excuse for street protests and the coup, (no amnesty for Thaksin and all of a sudden there was, just as bad as that stupid internet gateway the government is pushing for now U turns seem to be the norm here)

There is not one party to blame here, they all are. Anyway disliking more and more plans of the junta.

A world without Farcebook.....I'd like to see that!

Much easier for them to carry on regardless, and arrest all the people here that post on Facebook, I think if international media gets hold of this or bothers to take the story up then more egg on face.wai2.gif

I actually feel sorry for what this country has become. And through no fault of the general public. The majority of the people didn't vote for this. I t's been imposed on them. Will this be censored?

The problem isn't the views of the people. That doesn't matter at all. The problem is just a matter of perspective.

Why don't you ask the people what they think? That's what I would do. My opinion doesn't matter.

I know the answer. But I'm not allowed to think. I think

Edited by jonaz

Come on, EJ, djjamie and other stalwarts, spin this one if you can. No wait, I'll do it for you; THAKSIN!

I liked the junta at first.. now I like them a lot less because of stuff like this. I still dislike the PTP too.. so not much choice for me now. If the laws that they are going to make keeps the PTP in line next election (forcing them to play by the rules and no secret votes at 3.00am or amnesties for Thanksin) then this has all been worth it. Otherwise it was all for nothing.

Don't forget who gave them the perfect excuse for street protests and the coup, (no amnesty for Thaksin and all of a sudden there was, just as bad as that stupid internet gateway the government is pushing for now U turns seem to be the norm here)

There is not one party to blame here, they all are. Anyway disliking more and more plans of the junta.

G'day robblok, Good to see that your opinions are changing and seeing the junta for what there are (in part), I say in part because you have a real problem with the amnesty for Thaksin, ok cool fair enough your opinion, no worries, now legit question, has the PM granted himself and others amnesty for past present and future??? A fair question mate.

Do you believe laws are for all or laws are selective? do you believe amnesty for all or only for a select few?

Are laws applied impartially or yet again selective? (case in point) students on a train asking for independent investigation into corruption is deemed political and a crime and warrants/charged detained etc, and family members harassed, A (monk) leading a group (unsure of numbers) to protest at the US embassy is ok.

Consistency is key here. Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

I actually feel sorry for what this country has become. And through no fault of the general public. The majority of the people didn't vote for this. I t's been imposed on them. Will this be censored?

The problem isn't the views of the people. That doesn't matter at all. The problem is just a matter of perspective.

Why don't you ask the people what they think? That's what I would do. My opinion doesn't matter.

I know the answer. But I'm not allowed to think. I think

Exactly... But stay tuned for the junta's punchline. You haven't seen nothing yet...

G'day robblok, Good to see that your opinions are changing and seeing the junta for what there are (in part), I say in part because you have a real problem with the amnesty for Thaksin, ok cool fair enough your opinion, no worries, now legit question, has the PM granted himself and others amnesty for past present and future??? A fair question mate.

Do you believe laws are for all or laws are selective? do you believe amnesty for all or only for a select few?

Are laws applied impartially or yet again selective? (case in point) students on a train asking for independent investigation into corruption is deemed political and a crime and warrants/charged detained etc, and family members harassed, A (monk) leading a group (unsure of numbers) to protest at the US embassy is ok.

Consistency is key here. Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

I believe the amnesty for Thaksin is the catalyst and it was.. too many people did not want it. I could not care less if they prosecuted the general for the coup. I have no love for the man, but he is far less a catalyst to an uprising as Thaksin. (coup might have been planned.. but without the amnesty for Thaksin the people would never have rallied) The guy is a convicted criminal with many more serious cases waiting for him. YL wanted those and 25.000 other corruption cases amnestied.. says enough I think. Compared with that a coup is nothing. (still would not mind if they went after the army for that)

As for select enforcement, I can give those to you too of your beloved PTP so don't act like the junta is only doing that PTP did the same. If you want I can come up with a list.

I'm still confused about how they judge what content they could justifiably consider as harmful to the country. If I post about having to pay off a.policeman bribe or how I got forced to pay three times the fee or cost or if I post about how bad my trip in Thailand was or send a vdo of a chinaman pissing or shitting on the street doesn't that hurt Thailand's tourism, hence, damaging the country?

Or, if I posted a vdo of someone getting kidnapped by the army or of a business using slave Labour or even a girl on walking Street offering sex for money. All would.damage people view of Thailand in the gov viewpoint. So I guess my point is, if the line and fb jump to remove your content posted just because Thailand thinks it damages how they want people to think about them then all freedoms are gone and for anyone and in any country.

I'm still confused about how they judge what content they could justifiably consider as harmful to the country.

Check out the people who have been arrested for sedition, LM, the computer crimes act, and for public gathering and you will have a good idea of what they consider harmful to the country.

Harmful to the country:

• taking a train
  • being a student
  • being a politician
  • being related to the previous two
  • hitting 'like'
  • making fun of dogs
  • sharing videos

Any other questions?

PS: you are right in your last statement... At least in the mind of the junta leaders, that is clearly the goal...

then all freedoms are gone and for anyone and in any country.

- Reading books.

- Eating sandwiches.

- Working at the local sawmill.

If you take a step back and look at the bigger picture, you have to look credible to the general population of the world.

If you're going to go to one of the world leaders of a democratic country and negotiate, you at least need to present yourself as somebody that is capable of doing so.

I've seen no evidence of that.

If Facebook and Line don't do as the junta asks, then what? Will the junta block the sites? Not a chance. Isn't Thailand the world #1 for Facebook use? Line too must be up there. If you deny I'd guess over 80 percent of the population something that is such a large part of their life (very often too large), especially young people and students, then what happens? The same as happened in the past when they rose up and the government ordered a massacre? How will they stop the rest of the world knowing what happens in Thailand, even if Thais are forbidden to know what is going on in their own country (nothing new there, but we aren't allowed to talk about that either).

Whatever the junta wants or tries to do, they will fail because of one simple truth. Although they can stop people talking in public they can't stop them thinking and talking behind closed doors. And surely it is better to have any dissent out in the open than hidden. Why don't they understand that?

By the way, Facebook don't appear to be concerned as didn't they recently open an office in Thailand?

I never knew how lucky I was to be born in the USA until I witnessed, firsthand, the hijacking of a democracy here in Thailand. The importance of freedom of speech never so clear. What threatens security in Thailand is when you take away freedoms using fear of percecution, detention and imprisonment.

Edited by Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere

Personally I dont like sites such as Facebook but I do respect the opinion of those that do. Some people suggest banning Facebook worldwide; kind of stupid to think that. If people want to share photos of lunch let them I dont have to be a part of it