House property in 2 provinces at the same time possible for a Thai?

My Thai partner was born in Central TH but changed the ID card to a Northern province because it's more convenient or even mandatory in daily life - such as for car issues, running a small business, and to get a visa from honorary consuls of other countries - to be citizen of the real residence place where we live together. We are considering to buy a house during this year in the North on the name of my Thai partner what would be possible with the actual Northern ID card.

However, there may arise a legal conflict as my partner inherited a house from his mother in the origin province. It seems there is a law not allowing to own 2 houses in different provinces OR to have property in a province you are not citizen of. I almost cannot believe that.

As I did not understand the issue properly I would like to ask the experts of this forum for some advice. Grateful for any hint.

why would they not be able to buy a house in any part of Thailand,

I think the place of registration comes in to play when the husband or wife of the Thai person needs to verify to Thai immigration where he or she lives, and wants to use the thai id card or house book.

'Northern ID card'

Never heard of this. My guess is you mean the Thai person's ID was issued in Chiang Mai or another Northern province.

It's a national ID card, and it's valid for any situation / any purpose where an ID card must be sighted / a copy given anywhere in Thailand and with no special usage or priority in the province where it was issued.

Thais have been able to get a national ID card issued or replaced (they expire, I think it's now at 10 years) anywhere in Thailand for about the last 7 or 8 years.

Reissue because of reaching the expiry date or lost or whatever is now quite simple, the photo is taken at the appropriate government office and automatically inserted into the ID card which can be made, all electronic, within a few minutes.

'Northern ID card'

Never heard of this. My guess is you mean the Thai person's ID was issued in Chiang Mai or another Northern province.

It's a national ID card, and it's valid for any situation / any purpose where an ID card must be sighted / a copy given anywhere in Thailand and with no special usage or priority in the province where it was issued.

ID issued in a Northern province - that's right

as far as I learned it was not possible to open a shop with a alcohol licence with an ID card from another province.

She can own both but she have to declare which one she lives in.

That's fine. Remains the question of the house book. "Declare ..." means she get the house book let's say in the North. What will happen with the house book in the central province as it is not possible to have 2 house books?

Ownership of house and land is recorded in title deeds.

National ID cards enters the address of residence.

A Thai can register an address of residence in Bangkok, living at her grandfather's home and hold title deeds to 76 houses, one each in every province.

That's fine. Remains the question of the house book. "Declare ..." means she get the house book let's say in the North. What will happen with the house book in the central province as it is not possible to have 2 house books?

I believe she will take her name out from the central house book and have her name on the north house book but the house ownership remain as hers for the central house. House book and house ownership is 2 different thing.

I believe she will take her name out from the central house book and have her name on the north house book but the house ownership remain as hers for the central house. House book and house ownership is 2 different thing.

She can have a house book for each of her 76 houses without her name as residing in any of them. Her name is in her grandfather's house book when she declares that as her place of residence.

Exactly.

We moved from Pattaya (were we (read my wife) own a house) to Buriram where we build a new house. After the house was finished and my wife got the (Dark Blue) House Book, she went to Amphur and had her name entered into the Buriram House Book and thus she moved from Pattaya to Buriram.

Because of this she also needed to get a new id card but this was done in the same Amphur.

However her name is still in the Pattaya House Book as we need to go to Pattaya to have her name removed, but we haven't been back to Pattaya to have it done, but it is not urgent as the records already show that she has moved.

IMO the House Book is just a record who lives at the the house / address.

House Ownership is the Title Deed, with her name on the back as the last entry.

Edit: So my wife has 2 House Books and 2 Title Deeds, one each for the House in Pattaya and Buriram

Edited by MJCM

'Northern ID card'

as far as I learned it was not possible to open a shop with a alcohol licence with an ID card from another province.

There is no such thing as a Northern ID card.

I wonder if you mean the shop selling liquor is located in a Northern province, therefore the shop owner got that license in the same Northern province.

'Northern ID card'

I wonder if you mean the shop selling liquor is located in a Northern province, therefore the shop owner got that license in the same Northern province.

1. That's what I stated above more precisely

2. That's right but it would not be possible without to be registered in the same Northern province (this is what was told us)

'Northern ID card'

1. That's what I stated above more precisely

2. That's right but it would not be possible without to be registered in the same Northern province (this is what was told us)

1. That's what I stated above more precisely....

Perhaps your meaning have the name of the license holder has to be registered (recorded would be a better word) in a Tabien baan book (household registration book) issued for the same area.

That's not an ID card. It's a list of people who currently are recorded as residing in that house. If Thais move to live in another location they are required by law to remove their name from the current tabien baan book to the tabien baan book for their new location.

One would expect that the license holder for a shop selling liquor is actually living close by.

Tabian baan, our house registration has nothing to do with house ownership. One might own many houses anywhere on Thailand yet live on a rented house and be registered in that rented house tabian hasn. I never heard of any business restrictions with regards to registered address, but even if such restrictions exist they have nothing to do with house ownership

As already stated, a Thai or Foreigner can own as many houses as they want, but they can only be registered at one of the addresses.

This is part and parcel of the Civil Registration Act. A Thai can will be issued a Blue Tabian Baan for each property when purchased, but their name can only appear in one of the Blue books. The choice is up to the Thai. For ease of using local government services, it may also be necessary to change their ID card at the same Amphur as their registered Tabian Baan.

In times of voting, the Civil Registration of Thais ensures one vote (only registered at one Amphur).

It's particularly important that a Thai changes their details when married to a Foreigner, as the foreigner may use his wife's ID and House registration as proof of address to Immigration, or to obtain his own Tabian Baan (Yellow book).

As an example, a friend of mine and his Thai wife owned a property in a sub district of the Province. Her ID card and Tabian Baan were issued by the local Amphur. They recently purchased a new property in another part of the Province as their main residence.

My friend immediately realised he had a problem notifying Immigration of his new address because all his wife's documents related to the old address.

The procedure was for his wife to first register with the new Amphur, using the title deeds as proof of the new address. She was issued a new ID card and Tabian Baan the same day (she also had to deregister at the old Amphur, where they issued a new Tabian Baan for the old property but without any name in the book).

My friend was then able to use his wife's ID and TB as proof of his new address to Immigration.

At the same time, he also used that documentation plus a translation of his passport to obtain his own TB (Yellow book)

He then had no problem changing his address on his Driving Licences, Bank and Tax Revenue office.