Fish and chips

sandgroper2

Heres an easy one for ya, about 12 years ago, at a fish and chip shop in Chalong Bay, i think, i brought some fish and chips with tar tar sauce, the crispiest chips and tastiest tar tar sauce ive ever had, the lady owner had the recipe for how to cook the chips and make the sauce stuck on her wall, it had been printed in the Phuket Gazette. Anybody know where she is now? Pls pm me as i would love to have the same again. i live in Pattaya now and in tend to visit Phuket again soon. Thanking you in anticipation.

Pon had a stroke and passed away quite a few years ago and her husband was so overwrought by her passing he killed himself. It was a very sad time. I've yet to find a place that makes such good fish and chips . Pon was a wonderful woman as well......sorry to bring you bad news.......

Pon had a stroke and passed away quite a few years ago and her husband was so overwrought by her passing he killed himself. It was a very sad time. I've yet to find a place that makes such good fish and chips . Pon was a wonderful woman as well......sorry to bring you bad news.......

Thanks for the info mate. So sad, especially about the hubby. Dont suppose you got the recipe for the tar tar sauce!

The best fish and chips used to be at the DILIGAF bar in Rawai when an Aussie chef ran the place.

Alas, he sold the bar around a year ago and I can find no substitute.

Check out Dilligaf Bar again with the new Aussie owner, the fish and chips are just as good if not better.

Also excellent ribs on a Tuesday night. All you can eat for 90 baht!!

Heres an easy one for ya, about 12 years ago, at a fish and chip shop in Chalong Bay, i think, i brought some fish and chips with tar tar sauce, the crispiest chips and tastiest tar tar sauce ive ever had, the lady owner had the recipe for how to cook the chips and make the sauce stuck on her wall, it had been printed in the Phuket Gazette. Anybody know where she is now? Pls pm me as i would love to have the same again. i live in Pattaya now and in tend to visit Phuket again soon. Thanking you in anticipation.

Have you tried contacting the Phuket Gazette ?

Yes abd no, years ago i did a search there for tar tar sauce and, obviously , nothing came up. I will email them, thanks for the suggestion.

Yes abd no, years ago i did a search there for tar tar sauce and, obviously , nothing came up. I will email them, thanks for the suggestion.

Tartar sauce is based on either mayonnaise (egg yolk, mustard or vinegar, oil) or aioli (egg yolk, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice), with certain other ingredients added. In the UK, recipes typically add to the base capers, gherkins, lemon juice, and tarragon.

The best fish and chips used to be at the DILIGAF bar in Rawai when an Aussie chef ran the place.

Check out Dilligaf Bar again with the new Aussie owner, the fish and chips are just as good if not better.

Is the owner of the bar still Rossi?

Is the owner of the bar still Rossi?

Yes

Farang paradise may be a good substitute. And yes, that couple made great fish and chips.

I completely agree, we eat the battered fish and wedges from time to time. Trouble is that it's way way off the beaten track.

And it's a b@stard place to get out of if you need to go south.

But the fish and chips are excellent, and so are the meat balls!

Damn! I think I'll go there tomorrow. smile.png

Farang paradise may be a good substitute. And yes, that couple made great fish and chips.

I completely agree, we eat the battered fish and wedges from time to time. Trouble is that it's way way off the beaten track.

Farang paradise? Where is that?

I must have caught the place on a bad day as when I had the fish and chips there, the batter sort of came off the fish, the fish was mushy like an old frozen Makro

chunk. Horrible.

It was lunchtime and really only one Thai guy there running the show. Is lunchtime bad timing?

I must have caught the place on a bad day as when I had the fish and chips there, the batter sort of came off the fish, the fish was mushy like an old frozen Makro

chunk. Horrible.

It was lunchtime and really only one Thai guy there running the show. Is lunchtime bad timing?

Ah, thanks for reminding me, as I had it like that once. Afterwards, I always asked for it to be cooked a long time.

I think the fish is straight out of the freezer and the oil is so hot that the batter is cooked before the fish is.

In fact, I think a friend of mine complained to the owner (Danish? Swedish? Austrian?) and he had a word with Cookie, the Thai cook.

Picture here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/188466-list-of-favourite-restaurants-in-phuket/?p=6606968

chunk. Horrible.

I agree with GOM. Had the fish and chips there twice and was very disappointed with the quality of the fish.

However, it's a nice place, nice people.

chunk. Horrible.

Ah, thanks for reminding me, as I had it like that once. Afterwards, I always asked for it to be cooked a long time.

I think the fish is straight out of the freezer and the oil is so hot that the batter is cooked before the fish is.

In fact, I think a friend of mine complained to the owner (Danish? Swedish? Austrian?) and he had a word with Cookie, the Thai cook.

Picture here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/188466-list-of-favourite-restaurants-in-phuket/?p=6606968

The partner owner (wife is Thai) is Swedish but lived in Australia for a long long time soounds like an Australian.

It's a young Thai guy who has the restaurant franchise (called Cookies). I have had the fish there many times over the last few years. Never had a bad meal ... I guess you were unlucky.

chunk. Horrible.

The partner owner (wife is Thai) is Swedish but lived in Australia for a long long time soounds like an Australian.

It's a young Thai guy who has the restaurant franchise (called Cookies). I have had the fish there many times over the last few years. Never had a bad meal ... I guess you were unlucky.

Ah, yes. I remember now: the meat balls - Swedish, of course! But I couldn't remember his accent. I've had several talks with him (Torsten) over the last few years but haven't been back for quite a while, mostly because I go past the place heading south and the thought of fighting my way out of that ridiculously narrow soi with all the maniacs zooming north puts me off.

It's probably safer/quicker to exit the soi turning left, head north and do a U-turn somewhere to get back to Rawai.