Guardiola to become Man City manager, replacing Pellegrini

Jonathan Fairfield

Guardiola to become Man City manager, replacing Pellegrini
STEVE DOUGLAS, AP Sports Writer

MANCHESTER, England (AP) — Pep Guardiola will take over as manager of Manchester City on a three-year contract starting next season, the Premier League club announced Monday.

Guardiola will replace Manuel Pellegrini, who said he would be leaving the club at the end of the season.

City said in a statement that negotiations with Guardiola "were a re-commencement of discussions that were curtailed in 2012."

"Out of respect for Manuel Pellegrini and the players, the club wishes to make its decision public to remove the unnecessary burden of speculation," City said.

"Manuel, who is fully supportive of the decision to make this communication, is entirely focused on achieving his targets for the season ahead and retains the respect and commitment of all involved with the leadership of the club."

Guardiola is widely regarded as the one of the best managers in Europe. He won 14 trophies at Barcelona from 2008-12, and has coached Bayern Munich since 2013.

Guardiola led Bayern to the Club World Cup and UEFA Super Cup that same year, a German league and cup double in 2014, and another Bundesliga title in 2015.

Guardiola said in December he would be leaving Bayern Munich at the end of this season, and said in January his next job would be in the Premier League.

City has been heavily linked with Guardiola over the last two seasons. Two City executives — Ferran Soriano and Txiki Beguiristain — worked with Guardiola at Barcelona.

Pellegrini has been City manager since 2013, winning the Premier League and League Cup in his first season in charge. He signed a new deal with City last offseason to keep him at the club until 2017.

City is in contention for four trophies this season.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-02-01

And they are getting rid of the guy. Imagine finding out mid way through the year that you're surplus to requirements in your job.And they were gonne get someone to replace you. Even although you hadn't really done anything wrong. You would be like. F uck this I'm just gonna take the piss till my contract ends.

And they are getting rid of the guy. Imagine finding out mid way through the year that you're surplus to requirements in your job.And they were gonne get someone to replace you. Even although you hadn't really done anything wrong. You would be like. F uck this I'm just gonna take the piss till my contract ends.

yeah however much city have dressed this up with a pretty press release it's still all pretty undignified. in contrast to pellegrini himself of course who is an absolute model of professionalism and decorum.

yeah however much city have dressed this up with a pretty press release it's still all pretty undignified. in contrast to pellegrini himself of course who is an absolute model of professionalism and decorum.

Unlike Liverpool and United who sacked their managers half way through the season. Very dignified.........not. Glass houses the lot of you.

I think this has been handled quite well really. There is no secret that City have wanted Pep since 2012. Pelle's contract was due to finish this year and he will complete that contract, unlike Moyes and Rodgers had a chance to. There was so much constant paper talk about Pep that it was taking over press conferences and putting Pelle in an awkward position. Pelle has known for a month and it was he who wanted it out in the open. Now it is, the speculation ends and everyone can get on with the job of trying to win some silverware without further distraction.

And they are getting rid of the guy. Imagine finding out mid way through the year that you're surplus to requirements in your job.And they were gonne get someone to replace you.

We aren't getting rid JS, he is completing his contract. Getting someone in to replace the person leaving is called succession planning, in business. In my line of work we do it all the time. It's much better than someone leaving and not having a plan in place to fill such a pivotal role.

I'm a City fan, I really like Pelle but this is the next step and don't see how it could have been done any better.

Was talking to a United fan today...he is so pissed off about this....it'only jealousy though, he'pissed coz he can see City dominating in the EPL for at least the next 3 years

Not all united fans are pissed off, he has to come in and prove himself in a very hard league to manage in and be champions, it just raises the bar for everyone else.

Unlike Liverpool and United who sacked their managers half way through the season. Very dignified.........not. Glass houses the lot of you.

I think this has been handled quite well really. There is no secret that City have wanted Pep since 2012. Pelle's contract was due to finish this year and he will complete that contract, unlike Moyes and Rodgers had a chance to. There was so much constant paper talk about Pep that it was taking over press conferences and putting Pelle in an awkward position. Pelle has known for a month and it was he who wanted it out in the open. Now it is, the speculation ends and everyone can get on with the job of trying to win some silverware without further distraction.

Absolutely.

And I believe Pelle has actually been aware from BEFORE he signed his 1 year extension, that this was always going to be the plan....... hence the reason why there was an opt out for either party on the 1 yr contract extension.

Soriano and Tixi are on record as saying that they believe a 3 year contract is the optimum period for a manager. Pellegrini will see out his 3 year contract and Guardiola has signed......... a 3 year contract.

Pelle has done a job for us. I believe we will win a couple of trophies this year. Pep will take us to the next level.

Maybe a bit undignified this booting Pellegrini to the curb but on the other hand City must feel the need to strike while the iron is hot. Pep is ready to bolt and room must be made. Better to make the announcement now than let Pep's obvious arrival hang over the squad until the end. You just can't allow a manager with Pep's pedigree and still youthful age to get away.

I can't imagine any manager handling it any better than Pellegrini. Best of luck and he'll land on his feet.

Pelle has done a job for us. I believe we will win a couple of trophies this year." Pep will take us to the next level"

"Pep will take us to the next level"

It,s not that long ago Jack that "King Kev" was hailed as City,s messiah and how he would transform them facepalm.gif

The late Peter Swales almost bankrupted City in his obsession to overhaul United.

With the "best manager in the world tag" placed on his shoulders it is hoped he can deliver gigglem.gif

The names,faces may change but this IS Manchester City F.C.we are talking about and the managerial-merry-go-round continues unabated whistling.gif

Seen it ALL before,this is City and nowt will ever change.

p.s. its rumoured that the club missed its monthly ground rental payment to the Council late last year.......any truth in this at all? cheesy.gif

^"The names,faces may change but this IS Manchester City F.C.we are talking about and the managerial-merry-go-round continues unabated".

What absolute BOBBINS! Where have you been since the Sheikh took over? Season after season we've been progressing on and off the pitch (though I still think Bobby Manc's premier winning team was better than those that followed, partly to do with 1st time round players were up for it more). Managerwise...Hughes..Mancini..Pellegrini..Pep..looks like progression not regression to me. Financial wise we are progressing, and on recent figures are just behind ManU and top 6 in europe. Anyway you want to look at it we are progressing since 2008 takeover.

I wouldn't worry too much about city next season. If I were to guess a title contender next season, I'd put my vote in for Liverpool. The EPL is up for a treat soon :)

Why? Tell us more.

Based upon the current Liverpool squad, I can't see a title challenger next season, and based upon comments i read today, neither can the more intelligent members on the Liverpool forum...and I think we know who they are ;-)

]

I wouldn't worry too much about city next season. If I were to guess a title contender next season, I'd put my vote in for Liverpool. The EPL is up for a treat soon smile.png

Why? Tell us more.

Based upon the current Liverpool squad, I can't see a title challenger next season, and based upon comments i read today, neither can the more intelligent members on the Liverpool forum...and I think we know who they are ;-)

]

Just one name: Klopp

What I am seeing happening now, I remember from back 2008 when Klopp signed on to Dortmund. The only difference was, I did not know him at all and was disjointed that Dortmund signed a "no-name" coach eventhough they were doing terrible in the league and because of financial struggle almost got forced relegated into 3rd division. Klopp took over a broken team. 2 seasons later he won the Bundesliga ( twice in a row )...not an easy thing to accomplish being in the same league as Bayern Munich. He broke several records as well.

But most importantly, HE brought the whole team, the whole city alive. "Invented" a new football style that brought them in International news and to the champions league final...Bayern was "smart" to officially buy goetze a couple months before the final causing a huge stir in dortmund. Goetze also happened to be injured for that game....who knows what the outcome would've been without that.

aaaaanyways, I am following a bit at Liverpool right now and see a few similarities. All he needs is a little bit of time to get used to the EPL. He is looking for hungry talented players. I wouldn't expect big name signings in the summer, but by next season he will have a squad together that will stir up the league.

I am not saying he will dominate the league next season or maybe not even win it, but he will make headlines :). By 2018/19 he will dominate the league ;)

^"The names,faces may change but this IS Manchester City F.C.we are talking about and the managerial-merry-go-round continues unabated".

What absolute BOBBINS! Where have you been since the Sheikh took over? Season after season we've been progressing on and off the pitch (though I still think Bobby Manc's premier winning team was better than those that followed, partly to do with 1st time round players were up for it more). Managerwise...Hughes..Mancini..Pellegrini..Pep..looks like progression not regression to me. Financial wise we are progressing, and on recent figures are just behind ManU and top 6 in europe. Anyway you want to look at it we are progressing since 2008 takeover.

So you have been following them since 2008? wow I guess that the influx of money into the club must have galvanised your interest into supporting them LOL ,you talk about Mancini,s reign with enthusiasm.... yet he was such a good coach that he was sacked and replaced by Pellegrini citing " lack of progress in European competitions" Pellegrini has commended respect from all quarters for the way he has gone about his job with dignity ( look thi.s up in the dictionary and try and understand the meaning of the word) and honesty then ask yourself if your beloved owners have acted in the same way?

What happens to City when Pep doesn,t come up with the goods,what will be the excuses then....as you highlighted and I will repeat again "The names/faces may change but this is Manchester City F.C. we are talking about and the managerial merry-go-round continues unabated"

City are a joke as a football club and the sooner they stop looking over their shoulders and trying to compare themselves with United the better they will be.

So you have been following them since 2008? wow I guess that the influx of money into the club must have galvanised your interest into supporting them LOL ,you talk about Mancini,s reign with enthusiasm.... yet he was such a good coach that he was sacked and replaced by Pellegrini citing " lack of progress in European competitions" Pellegrini has commended respect from all quarters for the way he has gone about his job with dignity ( look thi.s up in the dictionary and try and understand the meaning of the word) and honesty then ask yourself if your beloved owners have acted in the same way?

What happens to City when Pep doesn,t come up with the goods,what will be the excuses then....as you highlighted and I will repeat again "The names/faces may change but this is Manchester City F.C. we are talking about and the managerial merry-go-round continues unabated"

City are a joke as a football club and the sooner they stop looking over their shoulders and trying to compare themselves with United the better they will be.

This fellow has flipped his wig. J&D has given him so much shit over the years that he finally went round the bend.

Was talking to a United fan today...he is so pissed off about this....it'only jealousy though, he'pissed coz he can see City dominating in the EPL for at least the next 3 years

Pep has proven himself very adept to fine tuning an already excellent side. Thats it really, and he's a very good manager.

This City team is nowhere near as good as the other two sides he inherited but he'll have money to spend and a guaranteed Cl place. He'll improve City i have little doubt, but for me Klopp has proven far more than Guardiola. Klopp mind you has a bigger job to do with Guardiola already having a decent spine in place and bundles of cash to spend on the necessary upgrades

My kids have been following them since before 2008. Give over will ya.

Sorry, nothing in your comments worth responding to. Get your house in order before you go about criticising your neighbours. We're in great shape, you? 555

Good luck to you and lets hope Citeh can prove to be a consistent adversary to United in the coming years whistling.gif

You can relate back to 2008 (a lifetime) maybe you and yours, like many others at the time,came from out of the woodwork wearing the Etihad logo shirts jumping on to the bandwagon that hopefully the oil rich owners would provide.

My interest in football goes back to the early 60,s so with all due respect I feel able to make these comments,many of my friends/acquaintances are long standing (suffering also) City fans and its nice to see them with a smile on their faces at last thumbsup.gif

I feel that quite honestly I can compare City (certainly in the past) to be the "Faulty Towers" of football clubs and with recent events at "Wastelands" nothing has happened to change my mind.

Since 1986 United have had 3 managers including the present one LVG

Guardiola will be number SIXTEEN at City cheesy.gif

I rest my case wai2.gif

My kids have been following them since before 2008. Give over will ya.

Sorry, nothing in your comments worth responding to. Get your house in order before you go about criticising your neighbours. We're in great shape, you? 555

Good luck to you and lets hope Citeh can prove to be a consistent adversary to United in the coming years whistling.gif

You can relate back to 2008 (a lifetime) maybe you and yours, like many others at the time,came from out of the woodwork wearing the Etihad logo shirts jumping on to the bandwagon that hopefully the oil rich owners would provide.

My interest in football goes back to the early 60,s so with all due respect I feel able to make these comments,many of my friends/acquaintances are long standing (suffering also) City fans and its nice to see them with a smile on their faces at last thumbsup.gif

I feel that quite honestly I can compare City (certainly in the past) to be the "Faulty Towers" of football clubs and with recent events at "Wastelands" nothing has happened to change my mind.

Since 1986 United have had 3 managers including the present one LVG

Guardiola will be number SIXTEEN at City cheesy.gif

I rest my case wai2.gif

To be fair Peter, aside of an unprecedented reign over 26 years of one manager, your ain;t no better than anyone else so stop harping on about the ferguson era....it was just a one off.

Anyway, you'll be sacking your second manager in two years come the summer won't you!!

For those who think Pellegrini has been treated harshly, an interesting article from skysports:-

How Manchester City persuaded Pep Guardiola to join them

When did City first start pursuing Pep?

Negotiations started in 2012 between Manchester City and Pep Guardiola. At that stage he told the club he was happy to remain on sabbatical before going on to take charge at Bayern Munich. City, however, made it clear to Guardiola they intended to make him their manager at some point in the future, assuring him that he was their No 1 target.

When City realised they weren't going to get Guardiola in 2012 they moved on to Manuel Pellegrini. He was their first and only target after Guardiola - there was no plan to talk to anyone else such as Carlo Ancelotti or Diego Simeone at that stage.

During City's negotiations with Pellegrini he was made aware that Guardiola was the club's original first target and that there was a plan to try to get hold of him in the future. City believe they've always treated Pellegrini with honesty over this situation and that this stood them in good stead for the transition to come.

Pellegrini asked to be kept posted on future developments regarding Guardiola and was made aware, by the club, in January that they were looking at the Spaniard again as their next manager.

How was Pellegrini told and why was Guardiola's appointment announced on Monday?

Begiristain spoke to Pellegrini in the middle of last week to let him know that City had finally reached an agreement with Guardiola. Pellegrini then spoke with City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak to talk through the club's plans and come up with a strategy of breaking the news.

Pellegrini was given plenty of options on how the news would be broken but wanted to announce it himself. As for the timing of the announcement, it was done more quickly than had been planned because Pellegrini decided to tell the players on Friday morning and the fear at the club was that the information would begin to leak out - especially after Guardiola's wife had been spotted at a school that City have links with.

Full story:- http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11679/10155543/how-manchester-city-persuaded-pep-guardiola-to-join-them

BJ

Glass houses........... cast your mind back to the 96/97 season when City went through five managers

Alan Ball Steve Coppell Asa Hartford Phil Neal Frank Clark,now that is some going even for City thumbsup.gif

BJ

Glass houses........... cast your mind back to the 96/97 season when City went through five managers

Alan Ball Steve Coppell Asa Hartford Phil Neal Frank Clark,now that is some going even for City thumbsup.gif

I don't need to cast my mind back 20 years Peter. The above was a response to people who said we had treated Pelegrini badly when their own clubs had done worse to their last managers.

Interesting to note the big difference between Barcelona in 2007-08 and then 2008-09 when Pep became the manager. No silverware the year before Pep arrived and the first Treble in Spanish football history his first year. Pep's decision to ditch the Brazilian night owls Ronaldinho and Deco was the first move.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007%E2%80%9308_FC_Barcelona_season

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9309_FC_Barcelona_season

So for the critics that are wont to accuse Pep of walking on to a fully constructed, trophy winning squad...it wasn't exactly the case.

What on earth are you wittering on about??

I think you have been sniffing too many beer mats!!

Couple of points which I took from your inane drivel.... 1) Looking over our shoulders trying to compare ourselves to United?? You are right inasmuch as we ARE looking over our shoulders at United. Not comparing ourselves but p!ssing ourselves laughing at you lot lagging further and further behind playing some incredibly boring football. Carry on living in the past if that excites you.

Secondly, if you want to come on a football thread and ask someone to 'Look up' a word to see what it means...... do me a favour....get the word right!!laugh.png "Pellegrini has commended respect"?? Might have made sense to Nobby Stiles in the 60s, but I think you meant " Pellegrini has commanded respect".

Considering you only rise above the parapet when you win a game, probably see you again in a couple of monthsthumbsup.gif