How will we know when the "single gateway" or "mass surveilance" are started?

Cheesekraft

Use a VPN, simple $5 a month

Indeed, but further discussion will break forum Rule 4:-

4) You will not not discuss methods of bypassing blocking of websites, or circumventing any censorship of the internet or other communications by lawful authorities.

Back to our OP.

If it ever happens you, and every other user, will know all about it, slower than usual international connections, timeouts, and the government will waste no time telling us they are protecting us from the big, bad internet.

Back to our OP.

If it ever happens you, and every other user, will know all about it, slower than usual international connections, timeouts, and the government will waste no time telling us they are protecting us from the big, bad internet.

LOL, that sounds like my normal True DSL connection.

A VPN is completely useless in a case like this. VPNs only hide your ISP, they don't allow you to elude the single gateway. If you want to use the internet, go to Laos or Cambodia. laugh.png

A VPN is completely useless in a case like this. VPNs only hide your ISP, they don't allow you to elude the single gateway. If you want to use the internet, go to Laos or Cambodia. laugh.png

Not according to my provider, he says they can get around a single gateway, i sent him what was being said a few months ago when this was first raised, he says there is always a way

The Great Firewall is the most advanced in the world, and even after they blocked ALL VPN's, new encryption protocols were developed that even the Chinese cannot block.

Although it's a cat n mouse game, there are smart folks out there.

If Beijing can't enforce a total block, do you honestly think the crack cyber security folks of the Thai Government will be able to do it??

They are more likely to just hobble the entire network through mediocrity rather than actually achieve anything.

Of course we're destined to become the 'digital hub' of SE Asia <coughs>

The Great Firewall is the most advanced in the world, and even after they blocked ALL VPN's, new encryption protocols were developed that even the Chinese cannot block.

If Beijing can't enforce a total block, do you honestly think the crack cyber security folks of the Thai Government will be able to do it??

They are more likely to just hobble the entire network through mediocrity rather than actually achieve anything.

I think you have hit the point, the " digital hub of SE Asia"

The question is will they realise the negative impact of these actions before they make themistake or after they blow it???

"You are being watched. The government has a secret system: a machine that spies on you every hour of every day. I know, because I built it. I designed the machine to detect acts of terror, but it sees everything. Violent crimes involving ordinary people; people like you. And crimes the government considered 'irrelevant'. They wont act, so I decided I would. But I needed a partner, someone with the skills to intervene. Hunted by the authorities, we work in secret. You'll never find us, but victim or perpetrator, if your number's up... we'll find you".

Perhaps the big brothers from the north (they're really super smart and ever so helpful) could volunteer to implement and manage a safe, child-proof and happy internet.

The local IT folks could then concentrate their Herculean efforts on more critical issues like battling social media apostasy.

No need to be concerned ...it's all so...clear.

Edited by Hayduke

I think you have hit the point, the " digital hub of SE Asia"

The question is will they realise the negative impact of these actions before they make themistake or after they blow it???

A few of us were talking about the possible effect, by possible we mean none of us are computer savvy enough to understand it all etc, on say a large multi-national company having a big fabrication job in Thailand which requires a lot of e mail contact with various main offices overseas. Obviously there will be a lot of privileged information going backwards and forwards and a lot of data on job status etc.

Would there be any negative effect on the electronic data going through a single gateway system ?

How can we know when this is implemented?

Right after Anonymous hacks it.

China probably has one of the most advanced internet censorship systems in the world. So leave it to the Chinese citizens to find means to Jump the Wall or tunnel through it. Natives of China, Syria, Iran, Vietnam, and other repressive countries similarly have used IT to access government-blocked web sites.

Google has, for a while now, been alerting users when it detects possible state-sponsored privacy intrusions. Taking that one step further, it looks like Google Chrome will soon start marking all websites that don't allow unencrypted connections as insecure. That's right - every HTTP web page will be marked unsecure if it relies on standard HTTP or if it is HTTPS but with an expired certificate.

Google Will Soon Shame All Websites That Are Unencrypted

post-140919-0-87566400-1454468176_thumb.

If a single bottleneck ever does come to pass, it should be too hard to detect when multiple users start comparing their traceroutes and seeing that they all converge at a common point before exiting the country.

Edited by attrayant

Oh come on guys, the current regime is just trying to protect a way of life--theirs! They are just doing what any authoritarian govt would do. So lighten up and help the Happiness fever spread throughout the Land of Smiles. You are smiling, right?...because they are watching.

Not according to my provider, he says they can get around a single gateway, i sent him what was being said a few months ago when this was first raised, he says there is always a way

who is the provider?

I don't think we actually have to worry about this,

The people pulling his strings realise what a disaster for business in Thailand this would be, & more importantly, they would lose money, so he will be quietly pulled to one side & told not to do it,

I would think this has probably already happened...

I don't think we actually have to worry about this,

The people pulling his strings realise what a disaster for business in Thailand this would be, & more importantly, they would lose money, so he will be quietly pulled to one side & told not to do it,

I would think this has probably already happened...

Does this late Jan 16 article look like the govt has forget about a single gateway?

http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/thai-govt-approves-20-billion-baht-for-internet-broadband-gateway/128860/

Thai govt approves 20 billion baht for internet broadband, gateway 0
BY EDITORON 2016-01-20THAILAND[google-translator]

Junta Approves 20 Billion Baht for Internet Broadband, Gateway

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen

Staff Reporter

14532646651453264690l.jpg

Photo: Norlando Pobre / Flickr

BANGKOK — The Junta approved 20 billion baht on Tuesday to improve internet broadband in the kingdom, drawing criticism from internet freedom advocates it will be used to develop its controversial “single gateway” project.

Government spokesman Maj. Gen. Sansern Kaewkamnerd yesterday said that 15 billion baht will be spent to expand the domestic high-speed internet network in rural areas, where the private sector is not interested in investing. That fits the “community internet” initiative recently touted by the Ministry of information and Communication Technology as a means to promote economic capacity and reduce unequal access to the internet.

The other 5 billion baht would be used to develop the single gateway, which the government has promoted as an economic measure to position Thailand as the “digital hub” of the ASEAN community.

The first phase of expanding the internet broadband across the country was expected to start in March, while Sansern said Thailand hoped its gateway project would make Thailand a link between Asia and the West begin in 2017.

Both state-owned TOT and CAT Telecom public companies will be responsible for the project.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1453264665

I think any sensible person would just assume that we have no privacy on the internet and that the government are already involved in surveillance of our internet use.

And do not post anything on ThaiVisa because you will be put on the list!

P.S. I really should take my own advice.

who is the provider?

This is a good post on the snooping that has been going on for a long time now, and some solutions: http://www.thethailandlife.com/vpn-thailand-law-risk-solution