New scam at Suvarnabhumi

Brer Fox

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 9:44 PM, Father Fintan Stack said:

There are several stalls at Chatuchak that sell stuff stolen from the airlines themselves; business class toiletries, branded airline products etc. 

Years and years back food, toiletries, utensils, etc from airlines were sold in a little side street off Sanam Luang. I went there several times to buy ... cheese packs ! Eventually the area was "cleaned" of street vendors.

Wouldn't surprise me that you could find that sort of stuff in Chatuchak.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/4/2016 at 1:22 PM, colinchaffers said:

Normally under these circumstances if you want to buy duty free on stop over, the airport would seal the bag to prove it was a proper duty free purchase, also some airports will deliver the goods to the plane for you, but I dont think any airport would allow duties frees without some security control, I have seen a lady have all of her expensive cosmetics taken from her 1000+GBP. Airports take airport security very seriously.

Yes. My girlfriend was stopped at security for a domestic flight because she had too large containers of expensive "girl stuff" in her carry on. She called her daughter, who was waiting to meet a friend, on her cell phone to come and get the stuff. Next trip all such was packed in checked baggage, which we did not have the first go. I have always been amused that I must bin my bottle of water at security, if I have forgotten, and thirty meters past the gate am permitted to purchase a new bottle of the same brand. Guessing that water is considered safe because it has been brought in by the vendors. 
It would simply not be the responsibility of the duty free shop to "protect" people who do not care to inform themselves of what is or is not permissible by their destination country. I check everything I can think of when planning a trip... becoming an adult in my seventh decade. :passifier:

It is not just Bangkok that pull this scam. I had almost exactly the same thing happen to me in Kuala Lumpur before boading a Malaysian airwats plane for Australia. Same smirk with a comment I could drink it there and then or hand it over. At the time I was too angry to think clearly but I should have held my bottle of whisky high in the air and dropped it to the floor. To add insult to it all there was a duty free shop in the departure waiting area where people were buying liquor and then boarding with no hassels.

Just now, Rhys said:

...any issues with smokes?

Only 50 cigarettes allowed anyway. But one time when the rule was 200 cigs a cleaning lady saw me put them in my carry-on and motioned towards the bin after customs. I think she wanted to pick them out again. I kept them in and was then searched b4 the final gate, no mention was made and I got to keep them.

i was in this same scenario; happened about 8 years ago on a flight to the usa; the officials stealing my purchases were not nice and there were NO options; (like drinking it then and there) or checking it; just cheap theft

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/16/2017 at 10:20 AM, YetAnother said:

i was in this same scenario; happened about 8 years ago on a flight to the usa; the officials stealing my purchases were not nice and there were NO options; (like drinking it then and there) or checking it; just cheap theft

Not theft i believe someone was caught bringing bomb making fluid on,, so.....

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2017 at 2:01 PM, Brer Fox said:

Then try catching a plane to Australia and you will soon find out the truth. 

While l have never had liquid with me l have seen this every flight l have been on from Bangkok to Australia.Always feel sorry for the people losing there grog. Just the Australian govt and there big brother rules.

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2016 at 9:59 PM, Don Mega said:

Bangkok Air flies to Melbourne now ?

Nope, but Vietnam airlines now flies directly from Hanoi to Australia. Might be a better option than what the OP did because he probably switched to THAI Airways in BKK in order to fly to MEL overall a much greater hassle (and completely unnecessary) than flying directly to MEL from Vietnam. Previously, the most direct option from Hanoi was to catch a connecting Vietnam Airlines flight to Ho Chi Minh, from where you would fly to MEL. Also, even though THAI is quite a good airline, any way of avoiding BKK Suvarnabhumi would be highly encouraged, Suvarnabhumi is a terrible airport and with more and more direct flights from regional countries, the old "hub" airport model of using BKK is starting to fade. This isn't 1980 anymore - Thailand isn't the center of Asia like it used to be back then when Myanmar/Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam were closed off to nearly everyone.

On 3/9/2017 at 4:21 PM, Prbkk said:

I don't doubt they restrict it on arrival as it's an issue of Thai law. The real point is King Power continuing to sell these goods to departing passengers, particularly to Australia, KNOWING FULL WELL that they will be confiscated a couple of hundred metres further on ( and then, as if by magic, the goods appear on eBay).

Dont know what booze you are buying but departures is more expensive than retail; in fact there is nothing that can't be had cheaper downtown. Arrivals might be different...I've no idea, never look.

King Power is a rip off and these days it's cheaper to buy these goods duty free upon arrival in Australia (they actually force you to walk through the duty free shop upon arrival in SYD and other Aussie airports are similar) than at the airport in Bangkok. Why do people still fall for this BKK duty free scam. It isn't 1999 anymore when it actually was cheaper to purchase electronics and all sorts of things at much lower cost in Singapore, Bangkok and other places than in Australia. Now it's either the exact opposite or prices are largely similar.

On 3/8/2017 at 9:09 AM, bubba said:

Great idea. Delay an entire aircraft full of passengers because of your bottle of booze and disagreement with carry on security policies.

Anyway, do we really expect the young minimum wage clerks at the shops to be definitive experts on carry on policies with every airline and destination?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Minimum wage? You're dreaming. No Thai in their right mind would work for King Power for 300 Baht a day and btw working any job inside an airport is considered "prestigious" by many Thais, even if it's just being a sales clerk. I don't know what they're paying but it's certainly at least 500-600 a day, probably more. Even day labourers are demanding in excess of 300 a day nowadays.

Also, yes I have been to many airports where the duty free shop has a laminated board with all the policies of different countries listed on there - I recall Singapore, Zurich, Sydney and others as having this information and this is dating back 10 years or more. If King Power doesn't have this information, then they are idiots - but probably they do just that you haven't checked (and I haven't either because I would never buy anything duty free at a Thai airport - it's too expensive and with all the crowds at security I never have time to idle at duty free anyway, I have to run to catch my plane).

You're right, Jimster –I never checked with the clerks at Suvarnabhumi or any other airport to learn whether they had a laminated board with duty free information. Rather than to go clueless and relay on information that may or may not be accurate, I have always preferred to take responsibility for educating myself regarding duty free policies. 

And by the way, regarding "it's too expensive", Duty Free alcohol at Suvarnabhumi is indeed much less expensive that at shops and supermarkets in the city.

2 hours ago, bubba said:

You're right, Jimster –I never checked with the clerks at Suvarnabhumi or any other airport to learn whether they had a laminated board with duty free information. Rather than to go clueless and relay on information that may or may not be accurate, I have always preferred to take responsibility for educating myself regarding duty free policies. 

And by the way, regarding "it's too expensive", Duty Free alcohol at Suvarnabhumi is indeed much less expensive that at shops and supermarkets in the city.

Highly doubt that. Does King Power Duty Free sell Australian wine for 169 Baht like Tesco Lotus does? Nope. And for Aussies heading home, it's way cheaper to purchase liquor duty free on arrival than at Suvarnabhumi.

Fact is, alcohol at Suvarnabhumi duty free is at least 25% less expensive than in town. One reason is that Thailand carries a greater than 300% tax on grape wine. 

That said, I do agree with you that I have not seen any Tesco Lotus 169 baht wine at any airport duty free, Bangkok or elsewhere – nor would I want to drink it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/02/2016 at 9:55 PM, fey said:

duty free or not has nothing to do with it.

you can't board an aircraft with liquid over the stated regulations. it does not matter if you have already been searched or not. if they are found on the plane you also forfeit.

same goes for any other prohibited items you may be carrying.

Doesn't apply to liquids in sealed containers or bags.

1 hour ago, nectar said:

Doesn't apply to liquids in sealed containers or bags.

It did apply when flying US carriers (NW and UA, which now have both ceased service at BKK), and from what I've read also currently applies Australian carriers?

35 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

It did apply when flying US carriers (NW and UA, which now have both ceased service at BKK), and from what I've read also currently applies Australian carriers?

No. Last month, I flew from Narita to Washington DC. with a connection in Chicago. Bought a bottle of sake at Narita duty free, and was allowed to board the plane with the bottle in the sealed duty free bag. I was also allowed through security in Chicago onward to my domestic connection with the bottle, because it was in the sealed duty free bag. That's allowed by the rules and I have done it more than once.

On 21/07/2017 at 0:02 PM, jimster said:

King Power is a rip off and these days it's cheaper to buy these goods duty free upon arrival in Australia (they actually force you to walk through the duty free shop upon arrival in SYD and other Aussie airports are similar) than at the airport in Bangkok. Why do people still fall for this BKK duty free scam. It isn't 1999 anymore when it actually was cheaper to purchase electronics and all sorts of things at much lower cost in Singapore, Bangkok and other places than in Australia. Now it's either the exact opposite or prices are largely similar.

Even Dubai airport is not a bargain any more, except for tobacco.

A bottle of Gentleman Jack costs more in Dubai Airport, (as well in other duty free airport outlets around the world) then the retail price (€ 28,-)  in large french supermarkets!!...I could not believe it the first time I noticed this but this was true.

Same for certain brands of perfumes, not worth the price in duty free any more.  Nevertheless, it also depends on which country you live in.

8 hours ago, wpcoe said:

7 hours ago, bubba said:

No. Last month, I flew from Narita to Washington DC. with a connection in Chicago. Bought a bottle of sake at Narita duty free, and was allowed to board the plane with the bottle in the sealed duty free bag. I was also allowed through security in Chicago onward to my domestic connection with the bottle, because it was in the sealed duty free bag. That's allowed by the rules and I have done it more than once.

Well, I stand corrected.  I used to frequently fly out of Suvarnabhumi, often several times a month, on UA before I retired in 2010.  At that time, it didn't matter if you had a sealed duty free bag or not.  To enter the UA gate room you had to surrender anything over 100ml.

But, doing a Google search, I see that the US relaxed the rule somewhat in January 2014 to be exactly what you described:  if your purchase is in a sealed, transparent duty free bag you can exceed the 100ml limit both on your inbound-to-the-USA flight and on any subsequent connecting flights within the US.

• 4 weeks later...

If I were you I would open the bottle and drain the the liquid and give them the empty bottle since you are not allowed to carry even after crossing security check and and from duty free. If it's not allowed why are they selling such alcahol at the first place ? Buying duty free bottles of alcohol onboard or after immigration and security check point is a common practice 

Archived