New scam at Suvarnabhumi

Brer Fox

On 2/3/2016 at 9:22 PM, Brer Fox said:

This is for the benefit of people travelling to Australia. Two weeks ago I departed Hanoi via Bangkok Airways to Melbourne. I transited at BKK and then after passing security at the transit area then proceeded through to duty free and the boarding gate; there they checked me to see I did not carry any liquids of more than 100ml.. I was OK and after passing through I went to duty free and purchased some perfume (200ml) and expensive whisky which was sealed in the usual plastic bag.I then proceeded to the gate lounge and waited.

Come boarding time I was confronted with Thai security officials all set up with tables at the departure lounge who demanded to inspect my carry-on bag which contained my perfumes and my whisky. They immediately confiscated them and when I challenged them they produced some tatty looking supposed authority from the Australian government that I could not board with and liquid in excess of 100ml. They showed me the papers allegedly produced by the Australian government invoking this rule. They were insistent so I had to give it up otherwise I would not be flying. They were all smirking as only Thais in a position of power can do. They said I could not take more than 100ml of liquid on the plane despite the fact I had already passed security in the transit section and had just purchased it within the duty free section not more than 100 metres away. They were not prepared to discuss and I just had to give it up. And all the time they were smirking to themselves. They knew they were on a winner.

On return to Australia I started phoning around. I first called the Customs and Immigration Department and they denied knowledge of such an instruction, I asked specifically did they issue such instructions to a foreign government and a foreign airline and they denied that. Then they passed me on to the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development and I called them. They in turn transferred me to the Transport and Security Department. and they again could not confirm issuing such an instruction in writing to the Thai government or Thai Airways. After explaining my circumstances to them they seemed to smell a rat but could not say any more for obvious diplomatic reasons. They were very sympathetic asked me to send them a full report of my experience to them which I have done.

The authorities in Australia urged me in future to take photos of the documents and the staff (and their ID's) demanding all passengers duty free liquids. I urge people travelling to Australia from Suvanabhumi who experience the same problem to do the same

I pass this experienc on for what it is worth.

I had a similar experience on a Thai Airways domestic flight at  BKK but after a long argument they packed my booze into a box and stowed it under the plane with my name on it. They even discussed asking the captain to carry it on for me but I think they were concerned that may be worse than just letting me carry it on board.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is one simple answer to this and that is to buy your duty free when you arrive in Australia before you go through immigration and that will give the money to Australian businesses instead of overseas, or buy before you book in and put the duty free items in your booked luggage

A few years ago there was a scam involving arresting anyone who picked up a bottle of Scotch and then stepped over an imaginary line on the basis that they were shoplifting. The bottom line is - don't buy anything at Suvarnabhumi as the chance of encountering problems is significant - wines and spirits at Swampy are grossly overpriced anyway. 

Like the Chinese tourist, mentioned above I'd probably try to neck as much as I could and then spit into the bottle.   That might be a safer way of getting even with corrupt officials than trying to take photos of bent coppers. Never a good idea in a tetchy third world dictatorship. 

1 hour ago, millwall_fan said:

A few years ago there was a scam involving arresting anyone who picked up a bottle of Scotch and then stepped over an imaginary line on the basis that they were shoplifting. The bottom line is - don't buy anything at Suvarnabhumi as the chance of encountering problems is significant - wines and spirits at Swampy are grossly overpriced anyway. 

Like the Chinese tourist, mentioned above I'd probably try to neck as much as I could and then spit into the bottle.   That might be a safer way of getting even with corrupt officials than trying to take photos of bent coppers. Never a good idea in a tetchy third world dictatorship. 

Yes I remember the foreign media story that did the rounds at that time. I also remember Kingpower's response which was to the publish online CCTV footage showing that those people complaining (after they were out of Thailand) were unequivocally shoplifting. I watched it. There was no doubt.

The "scam" was that after being charged, given the prospect of staying in Thailand awaiting trial for several months, on bail if they came up with the bail money, or in custody if they didn't a mysterious Sri Lankan named Tony was on hand to negotiate with Samut Prakarn police for them to lose the evidence and drop the charges. Unsurprisingly this service wasn't cheap.

There was never any suggestion that Kingpower had any involvement after handing the thieves over to the police. 

I think that the bottom line is - if you are happy to buy overpriced stuff at Suvarnabhumi, that's fine. Just don't steal it..... or at least don't get caught if you do.

21 hours ago, millwall_fan said:

Ah this old chestnut surfaces again!  As thedemon also said, no-one has ever been arrested for picking something up from a shelf and moving around the shop.  People did, and do, get arrested for shoplifting.  

Good thing such issues are dug up from time, as the cheats will be aware that people are still on their guard.

Once you forget, the cheats could be back.

As for so-called duty free prices, perhaps for cigarettes only, nothing else is worth the trip to purchase.

• 4 months later...
On 05/09/2017 at 11:54 AM, blue leader said:

Can Australians not purchase their duty-free on arrival back in Oz?

Yes they can. The "scam" is that if you are travelling to Aus. You have to buy your duty free on Arrival. I have fell victim to this also at BKK. But they had reps at the Desk from the duty free shops who were giving refunds, to passengers who had purchased items at duty free which are not allowed to board aircraft travelling to Aus (most things) and the price of things in BKK should stop you in the first place. This rule has been in place for years. 

I have asked several times from 4 years ago for Duty free whiskey at BKK airport . They ask me where you are going to and when I replied "Australia" their answer was " we can't sell  you any alcohol .. But I was transiting through Lualar Lumpar and there was no problem buying alcohol  there and boarding a plane to Australia .. My take on this is that it is a security concern or lack of it in Thailand . There is no ther reason why you can board at KL with duty free alcohol and NOT BKK.  Over the last 2 years I have not even bothered asking so I don't know if things have changed.  I now usually exit BKK on a  direct flight with Jetstar. Maybe if Thailand catches up with its  international  civil aviation problems ( mainly the EU ) it may in future  be classified as plus  instead of minus !!!! Thats a big ask in "my ben rai land" to get up to world standards  in aviation safety.. !!!

On 2/3/2016 at 9:48 PM, lopburi3 said:

This has been the rule and is clearly stated with a 2 minute Google search.

http://travelsecure.infrastructure.gov.au/international/lags/dutyfree_to.aspx

They normally transfer the merchandise to the boarding gate. Sounds like that was the case here too. This is definitely a scam. Before surrendering the merchandise, I would have DEMANDED the ID of each individual involved, and taken images of each. However, one thing must be understood here. Just as is the case with the police, the customs guys purchase their positions of authority. A lower level guy has to spend 6,000,000 baht to purchase a mid level position. Same with the police. That tells you how lucrative these "franchises" are. They are essentially accountable to nobody. The government or police would never pursue them, as this is known to anyone in a position of authority. All that can really be done is to shame the country as a whole, for allowing these ancient practices to continue. 

47 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

They normally transfer the merchandise to the boarding gate. Sounds like that was the case here too. This is definitely a scam. Before surrendering the merchandise, I would have DEMANDED the ID of each individual involved, and taken images of each. However, one thing must be understood here. Just as is the case with the police, the customs guys purchase their positions of authority. A lower level guy has to spend 6,000,000 baht to purchase a mid level position. Same with the police. That tells you how lucrative these "franchises" are. They are essentially accountable to nobody. The government or police would never pursue them, as this is known to anyone in a position of authority. All that can really be done is to shame the country as a whole, for allowing these ancient practices to continue. 

What are you talking about? What scam?

There is no involvement from the Thai Customs or the Police whatsoever.

It is AOT security officers enforcing regulations made by the Australian government.

At Suvarnabhumi duty-free goods are never delivered to the gate.

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This post is bizarre.  Where does customs come in to this?  Confiscation of duty free liquids has nothing to do with customs.

Always makes me laugh when I see someone saying they would have DEMANDED (in caps no less) something from an official or staff in an airport.  Never going to work.

And where do you get this info on a low level customs guy having to pay 6,000,000 baht for their promotion?  Source or link please.

On 2/3/2016 at 10:49 PM, tonray said:

Next time sit back and drink 100 mls before your board.

And then you are not allowed to board the plane by the aircrew, because you could then be a security risk......happened to a friend. 

17 hours ago, Argus Tuft said:

And where do you get this info on a low level customs guy having to pay 6,000,000 baht for their promotion?  Source or link please.

I guarantee you will never find this information in print. I heard it from a friend, who had a family member, who was a low level customs official. The family was trying to raise the 6 million baht. It is a fact. That was ten years ago. The amount now, is probably higher. Same with the police. You have to understand these are not just jobs. They are franchises. The amounts of money to be earned with a mid level police or customs job would really surprise you.

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I guarantee you will never find this information in print. I heard it from a friend, who had a family member, who was a low level customs official. The family was trying to raise the 6 million baht. It is a fact. That was ten years ago. The amount now, is probably higher. Same with the police. You have to understand these are not just jobs. They are franchises. The amounts of money to be earned with a mid level police or customs job would really surprise you.

I have an English friend/aquaintance who has purchased 3 teaching jobs for his Thai teacher wife each time they have moved home. He said 2 involved only one payment to secure the job advertised, but one, where there was no post available meant 2 payments; one payment to get a teacher 'removed' and one to purchase the job that then became available. Absolutely deplorable! No wonder the education is so bad here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2016 at 9:39 PM, whiteman said:

Well done I hope some one gets them make sure you get them holding the paper up when you take the photo so they can not say it was not them or the paper. the more that do this the sooner the scam goes away

Taking photos of anyone or anything at any airport in Thailand in the restricted areas is a serious offence...just not allowed...now you know why.

On 9/5/2017 at 11:54 AM, blue leader said:

Can Australians not purchase their duty-free on arrival back in Oz?

My recent trips  Perth (Aus) to BKK   via SIN and KUL in low cost flights so plenty of time to check prices between connections. The price of Christian Dior POISON and Chanel N0 5 and just about all the fancy alcohols are just about  the same price when you do the conversion.  POISON exactly $168 in both Aus and Singapore when it was dollar for dollar.  Similar KUL and BKK.

Why stuff around with carrying 2 or 3 kilos of bottled alcohol on a plane when you can get it at the same price in Aus in an instant no hassle on arrival duty free, only have to show your boarding pass and/or pass port  "cash and carry or credit card".  Very simple same price..  Up to 300 people on a plane carrying 2 or 3 Kilo of duty free adds up to about 1 ton of extra cabin weight probably increases plane fuel consumption by to 2% .  The airlines allow duty free to go as cabin luggage at no extra cost.  If I was an airline operator I'd ban duty free as it is no longer any benefit to air travellers. Perhaps BKK Customs is getting a message from the airlines... Get it "on arrival in Aus".  I always do, no hassles.

On 3/15/2018 at 1:55 PM, thedemon said:

What are you talking about? What scam?

There is no involvement from the Thai Customs or the Police whatsoever.

It is AOT security officers enforcing regulations made by the Australian government.

At Suvarnabhumi duty-free goods are never delivered to the gate.

I flew Swampy to Brisbane last week, King power were giving people their duty-free goods at the gate.

• 2 weeks later...

The "duty free" in Thailand is not that much cheaper than purchasing the same thing at a discount store btw. . I do not trust any airline (carrying on duty free that is more than 100ml) so whenever I want to buy something "duty free" I purchase it on my last "leg" on my flight before landing to my final destination.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2016 at 8:46 AM, frimu said:

Why do you Australians put up with all that overregulation nonsense? Can't you hand a petition to your government to stop this?

It's an Air Safety rule.  Nothing to do with the Oz govt as far as I know.

Anyway, there are Duty Free shops at most Oz airports which you can use on the way IN.  The usual limits apply to 1 litre of alcohol and a small amount of tobacco.

• 3 weeks later...

I know it is not well advertised, but if you want to buy duty free goods on the way through Suvanarbhum, you can get them to deliver to the boarding gate (past all these security checkpoints), and then you should be OK. But in my personal opinion, rather than struggling with that package along with the carry-on bag and the rest of it, buy as you arrive at SYD or MLB, the prices seem quite reasonable (and it sure beats a Thai security guy drinking your Johnny Walker Blue Label)!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2016 at 8:46 AM, frimu said:

Why do you Australians put up with all that overregulation nonsense? Can't you hand a petition to your government to stop this?

Life is good in Australia, people are complacent about this.  The government can give themselves 50% salary increase and the poor and middle class may be upset but fail to organise themselves to do anything about it. Maybe lazy with a twist of complacent.

• 2 months later...
On 2/3/2016 at 11:02 PM, Satcommlee said:

Where is the duty of care of the duty free shop? I presume a big one like King power, they have to scan your boarding pass.

They once did refuse to sell me cigarettes because I was going to Singapore (where you cant import any)

Why did you not return to the duty free store?

Personally, I would have turned around and tipped the contents down a drain rather than hand them over like that.

It is a scam in a way, I bet one that only the most senior were enforcing..

I agree. There is no way on earth I would hand over such things. The drain is a far better option.

As said before and to make an update, unless you live in a country with a government that scams you with a heavy tax burden, in Europe supermarkets,  booze (whiskey, wine etc)  are usually cheaper then any tax free outlet.

In Dubai airport duty free, a Rolex watch is more costly then in any official Rolex Store in Switzerland.

Only cigarettes are still worth setting foot into any duty-free shop. No matter where in the world, duty-free airport shops,  are just a bunch of cheats.

You can purchase duty free in Australia and take onto the plane no problem as long as you get of in Bangkok, if you are going through transit then you do risk having it taken when you board your next flight.

On the Bangkok to Australia it has been the requirement at the boarding gate to only allow 100 ml of any liquid, for many years. The first time it happened to me I took the whiskey to the toilet, tipped it out and returned to the boarding gate and gave them the empty bottle. The look on their faces was priceless .

Happened to me   I poured it in the waste bin . ha ha   was   told that I can not do that       told him just have   you should have told me    very angry man miss out on his perk

Archived