New scam at Suvarnabhumi

Brer Fox

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, easybullet3 said:

you know, he could have gone to the Family mart/7-11 and bought a few SMALL bottles of water or juice and emptied them out and POURED the perfume into the smaller bottles (sharing it out at less than 100ml per bottle).

No, he couldn't.  The thing about the liquid restriction is that its the container size - not how much is in it.

You would need to buy 100mL containers.  Empty water/juice bottles (even the smallest ones) won't work as they are all 200-250mL or larger.

Even if you only have 100mL liquid in a larger container - not allowed

On Wednesday, August 24, 2016 at 10:40 AM, oxo1947 said:

And the location of this store is where---??

why do I have this feeling that somehow cgphuket wont be replying to this question with an address--?....(other than he was told about it from a secret source in a bar.....

But not to worry you got a like tick from Brer Fox .....its just amazing to me that both of you can manage to travel anywhere without setting alarms off with the amount of tinfoil in your hats...........:coffee1:

• I am in  BKK next week & would like to pick up some of Brer foxs expensive Perfume for the wife.....So, once again the location of this store is where---??

The shop you are referring to is Raan Jay Leng.  .Not far from Don Meuang airport on the same side.of wipawadee Rangsit Rd

2 hours ago, Argus Tuft said:

No, he couldn't.  The thing about the liquid restriction is that its the container size - not how much is in it.

You would need to buy 100mL containers.  Empty water/juice bottles (even the smallest ones) won't work as they are all 200-250mL or larger.

Even if you only have 100mL liquid in a larger container - not allowed

you exactly answered aand agreed with my question.. Lol

i said to buy SMALLER bottles of water.

sorry i wasnt exact,, but I meant to buy 100cm bottles or 50ml bottles.

yes i am aware of the rules that you mentioned.

and it would work perfectly.

Boots Pharmacy also sells 100ml bottle shampoos for travel (in the airport). so that is another option to transfer the perfume to a smaller container.

3 hours ago, sangfroid said:

The shop you are referring to is Raan Jay Leng.  .Not far from Don Meuang airport on the same side.of wipawadee Rangsit Rd

Maybe 30 years ago there was some contraband for sale there. But when I was taken there 26 years ago it was too late.

However yes, I agree that is probably the source of the myth.

Calling BS on this post.  I travel through Malaysian airports very frequently, and your story doesn't add up to how their airports work with how you tell your story.

I'll second that. I have taken duty free purchases at KUL through the gate security check many times without a problem. I have yet to see a duty free shop inside the gate lounge as well.

Perhaps this had something to do with the destination but it is certainly not the norm.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

If I found myself in this position I would insist on returning the goods to the duty free shop for a refund. The plane cannot takeoff without you until it has removed your luggage from the hold. For that reason the refund would, I think, be expedited. If there was a law forbidding all bottles of liquid over 100ml then the shop should not have sold it to anyone boarding that flight.

Great idea. Delay an entire aircraft full of passengers because of your bottle of booze and disagreement with carry on security policies.

Anyway, do we really expect the young minimum wage clerks at the shops to be definitive experts on carry on policies with every airline and destination?

On 08/03/2017 at 1:09 PM, bubba said:

Anyway, do we really expect the young minimum wage clerks at the shops to be definitive experts on carry on policies with every airline and destination?

Yes, they should. They are obliged to see your boarding pass to check your eligibility and destination ( although being permitted to buy it from King Power is something of a joke, given it's retail price +++).

For some reason ( but any one making an educated guess could work it out), King Power does not follow the procedure and allows costumers to purchase goods knowing that they will be confiscated. Whether that has anything to do with the fact that the items later appear for sale, on eBay and elsewhere, is unknown. For sale: not for the govt or for charity, but for profit.

I like to be the last person to board the plane and consequently see a bit of that 'at the gate' screening...it's amazing how much stuff gets stopped. 

Do King Power staff pro-actively offer to send it to the gate? 

On 3/8/2017 at 9:09 AM, bubba said:

54 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

Yes, they should. They are obliged to see your boarding pass to check your eligibility and destination ( although being permitted to buy it from King Power is something of a joke, given it's retail price +++).

For some reason ( but any one making an educated guess could work it out), King Power does not follow the procedure and allows costumers to purchase goods knowing that they will be confiscated. Whether that has anything to do with the fact that the items later appear for sale, on eBay and elsewhere, is unknown. For sale: not for the govt or for charity, but for profit.

I like to be the last person to board the plane and consequently see a bit of that 'at the gate' screening...it's amazing how much stuff gets stopped. 

The cash register software should be programmed to accept the info from the boarding pass, such as destination and carrier, and flag any sales that might conflict with that destination's and/or airline's restriction.  

When Delta and United still flew out of Thailand, they also had mandatory secondary bag checks at the entrance to the gate room.  US regulations applied and any US carrier international flight is subject to the screening, regardless of destination.  e.g.  Even if you flew UA or DL only to Tokyo, you were still subject to the search.

1 hour ago, Prbkk said:

Not entirely accurate on a couple of points.

At least for alcohol, King Power prices are much lower than retail prices in Bangkok.

Also, I know from experience last night that at least at duty free on arrival, they will not allow you to purchase more than one litre of booze. I was travelling with someone who went on to immigration while I stopped at arrivals duty free to buy two bottles. They would only sell me one. 

Back when United were flying out of BKK, they hand searched each passenger at the gate. They had no problem with King Power duty free so long as the bag was sealed.

29 minutes ago, bubba said:

Not entirely accurate on a couple of points.

At least for alcohol, King Power prices are much lower than retail prices in Bangkok.

Also, I know from experience last night that at least at duty free on arrival, they will not allow you to purchase more than one litre of booze. I was travelling with someone who went on to immigration while I stopped at arrivals duty free to buy two bottles. They would only sell me one. 

Back when United were flying out of BKK, they hand searched each passenger at the gate. They had no problem with King Power duty free so long as the bag was sealed.

I don't doubt they restrict it on arrival as it's an issue of Thai law. The real point is King Power continuing to sell these goods to departing passengers, particularly to Australia, KNOWING FULL WELL that they will be confiscated a couple of hundred metres further on ( and then, as if by magic, the goods appear on eBay).

Dont know what booze you are buying but departures is more expensive than retail; in fact there is nothing that can't be had cheaper downtown. Arrivals might be different...I've no idea, never look.

That's good to know, Prbkk. Perhaps you could let us know where we can buy wine and spirits cheaper in town that at BKK Duty Free? Departures or arrivals – the prices are exactly the same.

8 minutes ago, bubba said:

That's good to know, Prbkk. Perhaps you could let us know where we can buy wine and spirits cheaper in town that at BKK Duty Free? Departures or arrivals – the prices are exactly the same.

I don't buy much but as an example, Freixenet ( Spanish sparkling) is 6xx baht at Tops and Villa, Jacob's Creek whites are about 700, D'Arenberg 700. Nothing worth drinking in that price range at the airport. Correct me if I'm wrong.

OK, so you don't buy much alcohol and perhaps not familiar with duty free vs. retail prices. 

I have found that both Villa and Tops are more expensive than BKK Duty free by anywhere from 25 - 50%. Like most duty free outlets, duty free at BKK will not usually include cheap wines like Jacob's Creek, but there are plenty of drinkable ones for less than 1000 baht.

I bought a bottle of Moutan Cadet Bordeaux 2014 at Duty Free last night for 600 baht. It's perfectly drinkable and the last time I checked at Villa, it was priced at 950 baht.

A one litre bottle of Smirnoff Red cost 590 baht at BKK duty free. I believe that costs around 800 baht at Villa.

The Mouton is not sold at Tops. But you could save money and buy The Mont Clair Shiraz for 299, same for the Peter Vella house wine. Both are just as good but without the Rothschild name/label.

The Mouton is not sold at Tops. But you could save money and buy The Mont Clair Shiraz for 299, same for the Peter Vella house wine. Both are just as good but without the Rothschild name/label.

Seriously? Mont Claire or Peter Vella fruit juice mix "wine"? Would that be in the box or in a real glass bottle?

As you said, you don't often buy alcohol. And yes, you are indeed saving money.

5 hours ago, bubba said:

OK, so you don't buy much alcohol and perhaps not familiar with duty free vs. retail prices. 

I have found that both Villa and Tops are more expensive than BKK Duty free by anywhere from 25 - 50%. Like most duty free outlets, duty free at BKK will not usually include cheap wines like Jacob's Creek, but there are plenty of drinkable ones for less than 1000 baht.

I bought a bottle of Moutan Cadet Bordeaux 2014 at Duty Free last night for 600 baht. It's perfectly drinkable and the last time I checked at Villa, it was priced at 950 baht.

A one litre bottle of Smirnoff Red cost 590 baht at BKK duty free. I believe that costs around 800 baht at Villa.

Smirnoff Red ,can remember drinking that when I was young that Vodka is rocket fuel

Why don't you push the boat out and get Absolute or push it even further and buy a bottle of premium vodka like Belevdere (Red Berry) or Grey Goose its well worth the extra bhat but that just my opinion though.

Smirnoff Red ,can remember drinking that when I was young that Vodka is rocket fuel
Why don't you push the boat out and get Absolute or push it even further and buy a bottle of premium vodka like Belevdere (Red Berry) or Grey Goose its well worth the extra bhat but that just my opinion though.

Sorry this is getting so OT, but since you asked....

I usually keep a bottle of vodka on my bar for mixed drinks. I think Smirnoff is fine for that. Grey Goose is great, but costing almost four times as much as Smirnoff, I think not worth it unless you are doing shots. For 590 baht at Villa or Tops, all you can get is a bottle of really nasty Gilbey's or the like. A 700 mL bottle of Smirnoff at Villa costs 659 baht while at BKK duty free, a one liter bottle costs 590 baht. Again, duty free is much cheaper than in-town retail.

BTW, Smirnoff red is about the same proof as Goose.

17 minutes ago, bubba said:

Sorry this is getting so OT, but since you asked....

I usually keep a bottle of vodka on my bar for mixed drinks. I think Smirnoff is fine for that. Grey Goose is great, but costing almost four times as much as Smirnoff, I think not worth it unless you are doing shots. For 590 baht at Villa or Tops, all you can get is a bottle of really nasty Gilbey's or the like. A 700 mL bottle of Smirnoff at Villa costs 659 baht while at BKK duty free, a one liter bottle costs 590 baht. Again, duty free is much cheaper than in-town retail.

BTW, Smirnoff red is about the same proof as Goose.

It maybe the same proof but Smirnoff is rough compared to the smooth goose when drinking it.

7 minutes ago, paul18620 said:

It maybe the same proof but Smirnoff is rough compared to the smooth goose when drinking it.

Completely agree with you, Paul; however, can you really taste the difference between Smirnoff and Grey Goose in a bloody mary? That is, enough to justify paying 4 - 5 times more for Goose?

26 minutes ago, bubba said:

Completely agree with you, Paul; however, can you really taste the difference between Smirnoff and Grey Goose in a bloody mary? That is, enough to justify paying 4 - 5 times more for Goose?

I don't drink bloody marys so I have no clue however there is a difference when you drink it with coke and IMO it is well worth the money as its more enjoyable but I prefer Ciroc Red Berry its awesome .

This happens on Qantas flights out of Bangkk. I lost 2 bottles of Jonny Walker Black. They check you before going in to the departure lounge for the last 4 plus years. But if you buy the duty free and get the shop todeliver it to you after the security check you can take it on board. FACT.

Even going through customs in New Zealand it is a lmit 100 ml.

i had 2 small tins of Red Salmon and 2 tins of SPAM. They took the red salmon off me. I said come on there would onl be less than a tea spoon of liquide in it. My flight was to Australia to pick the Qantas flight up to Thailand.

i calld the superintendent over and he said no Australia will not allow it.

i got to Aussi and had to go through customs again for my transit flight. I asked the guy there about my tins of Salmon and he said we would have taken it off you also. I asked why he said them the ruls Mate.

They are still all concerned. About the possible liquid explossives. So buy you stuff and get them to deliver it to you before boarding.

• 3 weeks later...

Similar things happened to me too a while ago. I told them okay then I still won't give it up. I told them don't worry I won't board the plane with the items I just gotta go to the toilet. I poured everything into the toilet, flushed it then went back with empty perfume and beverage bottles and gave them all of the bottles. 

I sincerely apologized for not knowing the rules and boarded the plane with a smirk on my face. However, I didn't see the same on any of their faces.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3 February 2016 at 9:58 PM, moe666 said:

I guess you were not scammed

Definitely a scam!!  But ,.The wording does  allow for a misunderstanding ,..especially As Most Thais that can actually read English do not fully understand it's. Meaning!

They probably read only the first sentence which states no liquids over 100mls.

Archived