Why Thais choose to live poor?

I spent 19 years in Serbia and 19 years in Canada.

My family had a dishwasher and a washing machine in the 70's commie Yugoslavia.

Yet, many Thais choose to live below the poverty line. I am not talking about poor people, but people with some cash in the bank.

No washing machine, no "Western" toilet, no hot water.... nothing. Just a new car in front of the house.

Why is that?

I think some content with their lot and feel it's not needed....In other ways they are locked in and happy without sophistication.....They are not collectors/needers? in our western sense....In many ways more grounded.....

Others shop at their local weekly markets and don't get too far beyond that....The local hardware store in most cases is not going to have a western toilet and the other type never break.....If they leak - who knows - there's water splashed everywhere - you'd have to hook up a water line for the flush which some might see as wasting water.....Cold water bathing is refreshing to them in hot weather....

My IL's have one of the biggest houses in the area at about guess-timating 4,000sf - Sparse in furnishings....They had a western toilet but small & the ballcock/float had failed....We put in a new larger one both for them and to make our visits a bit more modern.....No hot water and they dip bathed keeping water in a large open topped 3'x7'x4' tank that they keep filled....We put a shower head in but FIL still uses the hand bucket.....They like the warm showers here but it's going to take an electrical upgrade to install one for them.....

We bought a new stainless steel fridge + a stainless steel sink and counter which finished off an good functional indoor kitchen for them to use and the MIL loved the conveinience for years.....

One nice step forward .....

Well → almost.....

Last time down the 3 point kitchen was history.....The stove and shelves/cupboards/utensils/supplies had all been moved to an un-enclosed outbuilding where they prepare/cook and eat while sitting on a platform - flies/dirt/weather/whatever.....The fridge - dining table/chairs & sink are still inside → with their bed/platform in between the fridge and sink....!?!?!?.....

They semi moved their kitchen outside to make a kitchen/bedroom....

Bear in mind the lower level is huge - one small TV - one wooden natural tree/couch that takes 4 of us to move - moveable wooden shelves and closets that constitute walls....I've seen well over 20 relatives sleep down there with enough room for another 20 - open like a dance floor.....Yet they moved a larger than kingsize platform to the "kitchen" to make a bedroom.....

There's only the 2 of them there except when BIL and family/4 visit on the weekends to check in & socialize.....

Sometimes I don't understand it either.....

But - they are some of the most squared away and happiest people I've ever known.....

One concept that might come into play....

As my wife was growing up one lesson they taught her was → Don't spend/waste your money on big things - save it for food.....And - she is frugal.....

Edited by pgrahmm

Easy to answer your question !! Show !!Every thing is about making a show. Look we have a new car.

What you dont see is we sit on the concrete floor, Eating with our hands.

Many Thais in our village drive new cars/ pickups, but live in a hovel.

We have a neighbour who has 2 newish pickups, but lives with his parents in an old house.

My wife asked his wife, you have land why do you not build a new home. No money was the answer, we have to pay big money every month for finance.

I don't use a dishwasher either,

It isn't that hard to do by hand.

Hot water,

Only needed to make tea.

Not to mention, despite having a car and several m/cs,

I choose to cycle into CM every day, a 30-50Km round trip.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

My opinion is that many are more concerned with the next life vs. this life and that is where their priorities are.

Of course that does not stop many of them from attempting to "borrow" money and complain about how tough their life is. I would like to see them raise their concerns about the here and now a bit more, and work on creating a bit more drive in themselves and their children. They seem to create boat anchors on their children as well as stifling their children's growth when the priority of the parents is to have children that will take care of them for years and years, as they avoid working and consider living off their children to be a source of pride.

Edited by SpokaneAl

People here are told to embrace sufficiency and many have/do plus Bhuddism is not about collective the most toys and conspicuous consumption, they have a rood over their head, a place to sleep at night and food to eat, those things are enough for many. The new car? Simple, people need reliable transportation.

People here are told to embrace sufficiency and many have/do plus Bhuddism is not about collective the most toys and conspicuous consumption, they have a rood over their head, a place to sleep at night and food to eat, those things are enough for many. The new car? Simple, people need reliable transportation.

"People here are told . . ." It seems to be a very compliant society - perhaps that is one of the problems.

Let me great this straight, the OP thinks the Thais should be more materialistic? Like westerners? Interesting.

That was not my take. It seems to me that a bit more drive and desire to improve, learn, and create a better life for themselves and their children would go a long ways towards improving things. Edited by SpokaneAl

Let me great this straight, the OP thinks the Thais should be more materialistic? Like westerners? Interesting.

Ummm....let me get this straight. You don't think Thais are materialistic?

Just for the fact that they will sacrifice comfort for a nice car they can show?

Or sacrifice comfort for that shiny new phone?

This is the most materialistic society on the planet.

In my country that is called being a snob.... but Thai people are taking it to the next level.

So, now... as usual.... someone will accuse me of Thai bashing. But these are simply the cultural facts.

Just for the fact that they will sacrifice comfort for a nice car they can show?

In my country that is called being a snob.... but Thai people are taking it to the next level.

So, now... as usual.... someone will accuse me of Thai bashing. But these are simply the cultural facts.

Not even close to being nearly right. If you think Thai's are materialistic, take a trip to the UK or the US, Thai people don't even begin to compare.

This thread reminds me of the elderly hard working and worn out wealthy western businessman. On holiday in a tropical paradise for the first time in years with his wife. His kids never knew him, he was always working too hard.

Anyway, he's sitting on the beach every day for a week and observes a local native fisherman. Every morning at 10am the fisherman strolls onto the beach from his small hut where he lives with his wife and kids, pushes his boat out and goes fishing. Comes back at 2pm and sells his catch to the market vendors.

His wife cooks lunch and the family eat together, then go for a swim and lounge around on the beach playing with his kids, talking with friends, having a few drinks.

The western businessman, being a forward thinker, approaches the fisherman one day as he's playing with his kids and building sand castles.

He says "I've watched you do what you do everyday and believe I can help you. You should work harder, catch more fish and save some money. Then you can buy another boat and employ somebody to run it, and catch even more fish. If you work very hard, you could have a whole fleet of fishing boats and become very wealthy just like me."

The fisherman gives the businessman a quizzical look and asks "but why would I want to do that?"

The business man gives him a beaming smile and replies "I would have thought that was obvious. If you work hard and get rich, you can have a holiday in a tropical paradise like this and play on the beach all day." coffee1.gif

This thread reminds me of the elderly hard working and worn out wealthy western businessman. On holiday in a tropical paradise for the first time in years with his wife. His kids never knew him, he was always working too hard.

Anyway, he's sitting on the beach every day for a week and observes a local native fisherman. Every morning at 10am the fisherman strolls onto the beach from his small hut where he lives with his wife and kids, pushes his boat out and goes fishing. Comes back at 2pm and sells his catch to the market vendors.

His wife cooks lunch and the family eat together, then go for a swim and lounge around on the beach playing with his kids, talking with friends, having a few drinks.

The western businessman, being a forward thinker, approaches the fisherman one day as he's playing with his kids and building sand castles.

He says "I've watched you do what you do everyday and believe I can help you. You should work harder, catch more fish and save some money. Then you can buy another boat and employ somebody to run it, and catch even more fish. If you work very hard, you could have a whole fleet of fishing boats and become very wealthy just like me."

The fisherman gives the businessman a quizzical look and asks "but why would I want to do that?"

The business man gives him a beaming smile and replies "I would have thought that was obvious. If you work hard and get rich, you can have a holiday in a tropical paradise like this and play on the beach all day." coffee1.gif

Except to a fisherman the beach he is on every day is not a tropical paradise.

His dream is probably to go (or) live somewhere else.

Grass is ALWAYS greener........

Obviously many Thais choose to maintain their own traditional Thai standards of living. If those standards do not conflict with any public health or safety standards, by adversely affecting the well-being of their neighbors, then so what? Thailand is their cultural environment, and thus, their own business. whistling.gif

I think you missed the moral of the story. The moral is nothing to do with the beach or the tropical paradise. facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Not even close to being nearly right. If you think Thai's are materialistic, take a trip to the UK or the US, Thai people don't even begin to compare.

Exactamundo!coffee1.gif

"People here are told . . ." It seems to be a very compliant society - perhaps that is one of the problems.

Nonsense! Westerners also do what they're told. And those who quietly refuse, wisely comply with the "government" rules, long enough to get their (secured) retirement incomes, then relocate to places like Thailand. Eh? thumbsup.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

I think you missed the moral of the story. The moral is nothing to do with the beach or the tropical paradise. facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

There is no moral to any story.

Every single story with a so-called moral is just a propaganda to justify someone's point of view.

Now, go speak to some real Thai fishermen or even better, shrimp peelers and see how your moral story holds up.

And this is a post coming from a member who critised falang for bragging and looking down on the poor Thais...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/893041-foreigners-who-brag-about-their-status-in-thailand/#entry10396821

What a contradiction...

You have a dishwasher. So what? The average Thai doesn't have one. So what?

And this is a post coming from a member who critised falang for bragging and looking down on the poor Thais...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/893041-foreigners-who-brag-about-their-status-in-thailand/#entry10396821

What a contradiction...

Indeed, I refuse to dignify that constipated bloke's posts, with any form of reply, anymore!

Edited by TuskegeeBen

What a contradiction...

Thanks for posting the link.... because it proves that you may have some basic comprehension issues.

My wife's parents are living and have lived a quite simple,modest and happy subsistence lifestyle.

We gave them a decent sinsod and they spent nearly every baht improving their home. And did a fast,sensible and value driven job of it. I could tell they made improvements they dreamed of for sometime, like a roof without holes and water pouring in during rainy season.

I was happy for every baht I'd given them.

If my wife gives her mother a new dress she says thank you, it's so beautiful and puts it away to never be worn as its too nice.

Now she just gives money and let's mama decide what gifts she needs.

Her parents appreciate some modernization but aren't motivated to go after it as they get by the old ways,which isn't easy but it's work they know and can perform within their farm and village. Papa will never return to BKK after being away in his youth to support a wife and 3 children. Now he just feeds the cows,chickens and watches tv while mama does the rest.

Edited by KMartinHandyman