Brexit worries on both sides of the Irish border

webfact

Brexit worries on both sides of the Irish border
By Ed Stourton
BBC News

LONDON: -- There is little sign of the scars of the past in Newry these days - the Georgian High Street looks prosperous, and the modern shopping centre which has been developed along the quayside of the town's 18th Century canal is buzzing with life.

But the small group of public officials and local activists I met in a cafe there all remember when this area saw the Troubles at their most savage.

And they associate the changes that have come, thanks to the peace process, with the benefits that have flowed from EU membership.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35502736

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2016-02-08

BULLSHIT , They will say anything to stop people voting to leave the failing EU just take a look at Greece hanging on by the skin of its teeth.. I will certainly ask for my postal vote OUT< OUT<OUT.

again one of those without brain.....Briatain without Eu is a economical gnome, a midget. No free trade, pound is falling endless, povert is starting....but anyway future will tell.

BULLSHIT , They will say anything to stop people voting to leave the failing EU just take a look at Greece hanging on by the skin of its teeth.. I will certainly ask for my postal vote OUT< OUT<OUT.

again one of those without brain.....Briatain without Eu is a economical gnome, a midget. No free trade, pound is falling endless, povert is starting....but anyway future will tell.

Norway and Switzerland seem to do ok outside the EU, the UK economy is over twice theirs combined. Don't worry, I'm sure we'll still be able to bail out you lot in the south next time your economy tanks.

Only have to look at Chief Court Jester Cameron making a daily laughing stock of himself in front of Frau Merkel and Jean-Claude Wuncker and licking their oily boots to realise that we're only wanted for money and open door policy to immigration.... UK dependency on EU trade is at a record low and looks likely to keep going down. Anyone who thinks the EEC are doing as a favour letting us stay in needs to get the cuckoo in their head fixed.... almost every morning over the last couple of weeks I pick up the morning paper just to be faced with headlines about/or read a report of how the Court Jester Cameron sinks lower and lower into oblivion in the support of our homeland. On what planet does giving law defining and passing for GB to non descript, non elected faceless bureaucraps in Brussels on board the biggest gravy train in history mean that it is fit for purpose. Only the gravy train people win....good honest hard working people who've put in their shift to bring up themselves and their families in the UK are unfortunately being taken for the biggest ride of our lives and it certainly ain't on the gravy train!!

Doesn't matter anyway as history has told us a few times now that when you vote NO with EEC it gets declared as a tie or some other excuse and a new vote is ordered to happen .....Look at how hard Ireland tried to get away a few years back... they voted no and EEC said think you need another vote.....with a bevy of new funding in the politicians hands they managed to reel Ireland back in.... and Greece tried a few times over the last couple of years, but the gravy train Bureaucraps are literally crapping themselves at the gravy train running out of Bisto granules.....so they keep them in with pretensions that they have to put in austerity measures, pay back loans etc.... the likelihood of Greece ever paying back the loans ranks between no and notta

Having seen the state my homeland has got into financially, politically, infrastructure wise over the last 4-5 years (though inherited from the previous government of the Toxic Blair and Brown years along with their cronies from previous government) I would really have to get my cuckoo fixed if I voted yes to stay in......... Let me tell you my cuckoo is not for fixing!!!

Now if Jean Claude Wuncker wants to hand me a little brown envelope with a few mill in it then yes gets my vote.... little chance of that happening methinks

Roll on Brexit vote.... cuckooo..... cuckooo

"The days of Mother England wagging its finger to Scotland, Wales and to us in the North, and that we would be pulled out of the EU if the people of Northern Ireland are against that, are over," Anderson says.

VERY TRUE

you don't have to worry a united Ireland's is coming sooner than you think...bye bye England

Norway and Switzerland seem to do ok outside the EU, the UK economy is over twice theirs combined. Don't worry, I'm sure we'll still be able to bail out you lot in the south next time your economy tanks.

You don't want to compare the UK with the economies from Norway or Switzerland, do you? Best joke I heard in a long time

"The days of Mother England wagging its finger to Scotland, Wales and to us in the North, and that we would be pulled out of the EU if the people of Northern Ireland are against that, are over," Anderson says.

VERY TRUE

you don't have to worry a united Ireland's is coming sooner than you think...bye bye England

I'm from Republic of Ireland. So I can't wait

You don't want to compare the UK with the economies from Norway or Switzerland, do you? Best joke I heard in a long time

That would be the world's 5th largest economy compared to the 24th and 20th. Which one would the EU see as the most important in terms of trade ?

yeah, POMs could be funny....sometimes

yeah, POMs could be funny....sometimes

So can the Paddies be, some of the best jokes I've heard are about them.

UK's a nett contributor and runs a £2bn a month trade deficit with Europe. All this stuff about how the UK would be on it's own is a fallacy. It's already on it's own. Do you really think BMW/Merc/Bosch and the rest are going to want to lose the UK as a market? Of course not.

This isn't about money anyway. It's about self-determination.

Edited by MJP

UK's a nett contributor and runs a £2bn a month trade deficit with Europe. All this stuff about how the UK would be on it's own is a fallacy. It's already on it's own. Do you really think BMW/Merc/Bosch and the rest are going to want to lose the UK as a market? Of course not.

This isn't about money anyway. It's about self-determination.

Will be for the ones with a brain, wont be for those only interested in following the carrot and watching aunty beeb. Sadly.

I fear you are the one without a brain ,

No problem. More than 200 Mill people are on my side.

I hope you have a day job and don't have rely upon your expertise with economis!

Have you looked at the size of these countries (economies and population)?

Norway has to obey EU rules but cannot change them or even comment

Great idea

Next!

I hope you have a day job and don't have rely upon your expertise with economis!

Have you looked at the size of these countries (economies and population)?

Norway has to obey EU rules but cannot change them or even comment

Great idea

Next!

Norway is the worlds 23rd largest economy with 5 million population, Switzerland 20th largest economy with 8 million population, UK is the 5th largest economy in the world with 65 million population. Do you really think Germany is going to cut its nose off to spite its face and lose such a big market for all those BMW's, Mercedes, Audi, VW's and Porsches it sells in the UK.

Well he is Irish.

What is this fetish about cars?

For info, last year was the best on record with UK producing 1.6M units of which 57.5% were exported to Europe!

The main issue is not the effect on German car prices in the UK but the effect on UK manufacturing and inward investment

With all this codswallop about Brexit, what effect is it having on inward investment now? Would you build a new engine plant in the UK right now?

Get a grip

What is this fetish about cars?

For info, last year was the best on record with UK producing 1.6M units of which 57.5% were exported to Europe!

The main issue is not the effect on German car prices in the UK but the effect on UK manufacturing and inward investment

With all this codswallop about Brexit, what effect is it having on inward investment now? Would you build a new engine plant in the UK right now?

Get a grip

yes, you are right. And then imagine, how it might go on.

1. UK leaves EU

2. Scotland still a member of EU

3. Reunified Ireland.

What a poor rest will it be? Not UK, only Britain or as in TV comedy: "Little Britain".

How silly Britain could be????

Who do you think you are kidding Mr Farage, if you think we're on the run!

Look we can have it all! Can't you folks see that?

Believe me, you really don't want to emulate America.

I have been fortunate to have lived in the USA (3 times) Denmark and Germany. I am half Scottish, half English and 100% Yorkshire

Follow the happiness index!

Edited by Grouse