i need your opinion !

farang95

Thai men like to drink but the women (apart from Pattaya/Isan types and some of the younger generation of BKK girls) don't drink much and it's actually still considered socially less desirable for women to drink in some circles.

Wow, some of you guys!

girls in Pattaya and Isaan drink... you need to get out more.

I live in Isaan and can tell you many of the ladies in our village dont drink and actually there are only a few

guys that are heavy drinkers. My wife's uncle lives across the street from us and he dont drink not even at parties.

My wife's sister owns a small shop in Pattaya and she never drinks.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai men like to drink but the women (apart from Pattaya/Isan types and some of the younger generation of BKK girls) don't drink much and it's actually still considered socially less desirable for women to drink in some circles.

Wow, some of you guys!

I live in Isaan and can tell you many of the ladies in our village dont drink and actually there are only a few

guys that are heavy drinkers. My wife's uncle lives across the street from us and he dont drink not even at parties.

So it goes to prove that some people, girls and boys included, like a drink and some don't. The same all over the world.

Not sure the OP trusts himself to go to the toilet without asking for help....jesus...do you want a beer ? No thank you, cokes good.... and move on

Mate seriously you think too much - just say NO you dont drink alcohol cos your sick or something,

i stopped eating meat 3 months ago, i kidded myself that it was impossible to be a vegentarian in Thailand cos people keep throwing meat at me. lived that lie for 10 years...
Its actually very easy when you firmly say no, and believe in your own ability

If you are serious you should be less worried what others think!

Yes it may cramp your social life slightly, as many situations involve alcohol, but so what, you may also modify that.

The Thais will just be disappointed if you stop paying for theirs!

just say no thank you and let them laugh for a few minutes and they will accept the farang that does not drink.

Most Thais respect me for the fact i do not drink.

They have seen the downsides of this all too well, and can see the logic in being consistant in not particapating in stupid behaviour, like saying yes when you mean no.

Edited by BuriramDevelopers

There must be a reason for your choice, even if you don't have that reason firmly fixed and clear in your conscious brain. We often make decisions stemming from subconscious processes. So try to access that, and clarify the reason(s) privately to yourself.

To others, you don't need to explain your reason. If friend don't accept your choice, ask then to think on whether good friends would behave that way.

Make sure it does not remain a big issue in your mind, so it does not spill over into their mind. Shrug it off, move on with the dinner chat.

You won't last the week!

speak for yourself

One day .more then a week ago.....10-12 years ago, i came to the conclusion that the one who consumes alcohol has an A breath.

That makes him or her a serious target for jokes in Thailand, and will never be taken seriously when handling normal office hours stuff like complaining at a police station, tessabaan , urgencies, hospitals and so on.

So i quited.......never felt better eversince.(Everywhere in Thailand)

My comment?

Maleng tong.....stomech cancer.

Wow, some of you guys!

You live in an unusual village then. I've seen research that shows roughly 60% of women in Isaan drink alcohol. This academic paper describes the 'drinking culture' of Isaan: http://www.tm.mahidol.ac.th/seameo/2012-43-3/29-5400-14.pdf It matches what I've seen in my gf's village, which is not a bad thing. Alcohol is used as a social lubricant, and people don't drink with the aim of getting wasted. That's one reason why their drinks are so watered down by soda and coke... in fact, years ago, the first Thais I got to know in the village were amused about how much whiskey I would put in my glass at the time (western style). I soon learned that the slow and diluted approach is wiser and prefer it now. But I've only seen a couple of people (other than my gf's parents) not drink on social occasions in the village, and it's always been women. [My gf's father no longer drinks, but that's due to hard core reverence for Kwan Im ... maybe that's an option for the OP :-) ].

It was suggested that OP needs "new friends". Not a bad idea, as long he doesn't end up in the fangs of The Jehova's Witnesses, Scientologists or even worse, joining a Bridge-Playing-Club !!!!

I also believe that this alcohol consumption thing is overrated.

I quote Dean Martin: " As long as you can lay on the floor, without having to hang on to something, you can not possibly be drunk" !

Cheers.

Wow, some of you guys!

You live in an unusual village then. I've seen research that shows roughly 60% of women in Isaan drink alcohol. This academic paper describes the 'drinking culture' of Isaan: http://www.tm.mahidol.ac.th/seameo/2012-43-3/29-5400-14.pdf It matches what I've seen in my gf's village, which is not a bad thing. Alcohol is used as a social lubricant, and people don't drink with the aim of getting wasted. That's one reason why their drinks are so watered down by soda and coke... in fact, years ago, the first Thais I got to know in the village were amused about how much whiskey I would put in my glass at the time (western style). I soon learned that the slow and diluted approach is wiser and prefer it now. But I've only seen a couple of people (other than my gf's parents) not drink on social occasions in the village, and it's always been women. [My gf's father no longer drinks, but that's due to hard core reverence for Kwan Im ... maybe that's an option for the OP :-) ].

When we have a party at the house, the ladies come over to help with the cooking. All of them will drink. They won't ask for a drink, so it's my job as the host to keep their glasses full. Fun to see these good ladies get a buzz.

It was suggested that OP needs "new friends". Not a bad idea, as long he doesn't end up in the fangs of The Jehova's Witnesses, Scientologists or even worse, joining a Bridge-Playing-Club !!!!

I also believe that this alcohol consumption thing is overrated.

I quote Dean Martin: " As long as you can lay on the floor, without having to hang on to something, you can not possibly be drunk" !

Cheers.

Honestly people who drink like wanna get drunk look weird for me now.....

And Alcohol is more a problem than a solution.

The point of this topic...is to be able to find quickly a solution to that problem..especially when your friend miss you and they will just want to welcome you back in a proper way..... and i don't think alcohol would be missing ..... and i don't need it to entertain them.... but they need it..... farang too got alcohol problem.... anyway i don't mind your business... i just hope i can find something to keep the situation comfortable and let them take in consideration my evolution the rest won't be an issue.

so its just a matter of the first month who will be a huge challenge cause...i giot an entire population who wait to welcome me back...so it's going to interesting .....

I do not drink since 30 years old.

Just stopped one day when seriously thinking about spending all my money on Booze or spending my money on Womanizing.

I chose womanizing...lol

Sometimes when people ask me why I stopped I tell them "The Story":

I was really, really drunk one time and next day could not remember where I was and what I did.

Then, a day later there was a news story about a person having been murdered and they had no leads or idea who did the dirty deed.

I thought it may have been me or could have been me that did that...so I stopped drinking and never drank again.

Most people believe the story...lol

Then I tell them : Just joking.....and tell them the truth:

"I spent all my money on women and sex...the rest I just wasted"

Cheers

Thanks !!! thumbsup.gifwai2.gifbiggrin.png

Wow, some of you guys!

So it goes to prove that some people, girls and boys included, like a drink and some don't. The same all over the world.

Not sure the OP trusts himself to go to the toilet without asking for help....jesus...do you want a beer ? No thank you, cokes good.... and move on

i think you probably don't know thai people that much .... but never mind.

Edited by farang95

When you change a behavior and wish to succeed, you must be willing to change friends.

especially with booze .. listen to the song from the old American sitcom "Cheers"

If you can not give up going to a place "where everybody knows your name" .. sorry to say ... you will be "just having one" by the end of the week.

Problem is "One is too many, and six is not enough"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvRGh2NEjSU

it's family ...i don't give up on family.. i wanna react the best possible way with them.....

they will challenge me.... and i must be ready...

Thanks for the song !!!!

Didn't expect to be strongly attack by the alcoholic community.... i mean..i did... just funny some of your answer are very rude......

Maybe some of you doesn't know that much thai people...intriguing ....

For the rest thanks for your answer ....

Am ready !!!!

ขอบคุณครับ

Interesting observation.

I have many Thai male friends who do not drink.

I have many Thai female friends from all walks of life who enjoy a glass of wine or champers (excluding bar friends/fish)

Many old Thai traditions have changed and its not frowned upon to enjoy a few drinks when out, in fact in most restaurants I've observed all age groups knocking back the vino.

I understand your quote "some circles"

Thais buying drinks for you??

How often do you think this will happen?

they always offers drink to me ... ....everywhere..... even farang does lol.....

I serious doubt what u are claiming here..Seems turning down uncountable free drinks from local Thais is a big problem for you...haha

I saying that problem is non existing..

What else do u get offered for free in Thailand from the locals? It does not stop with free drinks for u is it?

they always offers drink to me ... ....everywhere..... even farang does lol.....

I serious doubt what u are claiming here..Seems turning down uncountable free drinks from local Thais is a big problem for you...haha

What else do u get offered for free in Thailand from the locals? It does not stop with free drinks for u is it?

what else is none of your business for start....

Second i ask for an advice not for criticism ....

grow up a little.... and please don't interact if at first you don't understand the problem.

There is a problem..i ask for advice....

And Thanks to the others who gave their opinion ......

Edited by farang95

what else is none of your business for start....

Second i ask for an advice not for criticism ....

grow up a little.... and please don't interact if at first you don't understand the problem.

There is a problem..i ask for advice....

And Thanks to the others who gave their opinion ......

Here some advice stop seeing non existing problems in every aspect of your life.

Try to have a more hydrated appearance..:)

Hope this will work to bring down the continuous stream of uncountable free alcoholic beverages from Local Thais in your life! :)