Why are there so many farang problem drinkers in Thailand?

sheepishkiwi

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you need to break it down by country.

1. England , Scotland , 100 %

2. France 90 %

3. USA 60 %

4. Canada 30 %

5. Ireland 105 %

7. Rest of World 75 %

I think the table is flawed a bit.

If Shamus & Murphy were drinking that night, it would have been more than 105%.

tongue.png

Because they is f??k all for them to do in thailand

There's plenty to do. But you won't discover it sat on a bar stool.

Who told you I seat on a bar stool , that how smart you thing you are , you try and make a comment on me you need to look at your self I am a non drinker so that is how much you know about me .

If you are so smart you tell me what else they can do .

And before you start on me I don't live here , or do I want to live here I have a home back home to go to , I just come here on holidays .

Who told you I seat on a bar stool , that how smart you thing you are , you try and make a comment on me you need to look at your self I am a non drinker so that is how much you know about me .

And before you start on me I don't live here , or do I want to live here I have a home back home to go to , I just come here on holidays .

So you come to a place without f«»k all to do for your holidays - and then comment about it?......

You land here by accident?

I was talking about the drinkers. You know, the people the thread is about? The people you referred to in the post I was replying to?

No-one is starting on you. Calm down.

Got to say I think your way out on your estimate.

Split the people into two groups

1) Farangs who live here

2) Holiday makers

Holiday makers are here for 2 weeks and just want to relax and enjoy themselves whether it's in gogo bars or anywhere else they sell alcohol. Holiday makers all around the world tend to drink a bit, or a lot, too much but they're on holiday so I don't think you should put their drinking down just to being in Thailand.

Re local Farangs I don't think more than a small % have a drinking problem. In fact a lot of them don't drink at all because often the longer you are here drinking often looses it's appeal.

I fink folk should mind their own business.........coffee1.gif

Funny how that "mind your own business" line comes up whenever the usual suspects are uncomfortable with the topic.

Excessive drinking, large age-gap relationships and monthly stipends . . . same, same

That maybe the case for yourself, but l come from a beer swilling country, a country where not that long ago near every street had a pub. It was the norm to go have a few beers after work. For sure the days before the big in-house media stuff but it was part of normal life.

Today, go to any town centre in the UK where there is a disco bar or club and see what happens at chuckout time, and why there is a van load of cops nearby to send trouble on there way.

So, why should anyone, whether a tourist or expat, change habits of a lifetime, l certainly won't..

Good point.In my youth always blueing with blokes and bouncers but came here and found nothing to fight about.Made a decision to slave at home and behave myself and party over here and have no problems,nobody said no to me,or you can't do that.

Got to say I think your way out on your estimate.

Split the people into two groups

1) Farangs who live here

2) Holiday makers

Holiday makers are here for 2 weeks and just want to relax and enjoy themselves whether it's in gogo bars or anywhere else they sell alcohol. Holiday makers all around the world tend to drink a bit, or a lot, too much but they're on holiday so I don't think you should put their drinking down just to being in Thailand.

Re local Farangs I don't think more than a small % have a drinking problem. In fact a lot of them don't drink at all because often the longer you are here drinking often looses it's appeal...........................................and it's more dangerous, given the traffic problems.

I only drink after 8 am in the morning,and its got to be after 8 am in the morning somewhere in the world.I seem to think that its

up to the person them selves.people drink for many reasons.Maybe the loss of a wife after 40 years,the loss of a child maybe,or just for plain fun.The way i see it is,as long as they are not harming others and are happy,then so be it.As for the bar flies that you say you cant get a decent conversation out of.Dont mix with them! and keep your sanctimonious,holier than thou opinions to your self,and let other people get on with their lives,the way they see fit.People get through the day the way they see fit.Who are you to crucify them for it? You've either been here for 5 minutes or for too long.Get real man.One day at a time is a very good way to live.So why dont you bye lell and annoy some other poor bas#$d.

By the way,to the other OP..The saying is,'De nial,is not just a river in Egypt.

It must be who the OP is hanging out with.
Since I don't drink. I don't see the problem drinkers.
I have many friends and I don't believe ANY of them have a drinking problem.
OK maybe 2 or 3, but I don't really hang out with them, they are just neighbors that I know.

Try hanging out at the tennis courts, parks, jogging tracks, at the beach, or similar, and I doubt your percentages will hold true.
Even on average.

There are many in Pattaya.

In BKK also.

Sorry, I will get some flack for this I guess, but many of the Pattaya all day drinkers have a certain look.

It is almost like a disabled or retarded look. Odd shaped malformed heads and faces.

I don't know if a lot of alcohol for many years changes ones appearance.

But, a lot of these guys sure seem to have an odd/strange look about them.

The reality is that everything else is banned. So drinking is the only pastime open to them. Much like why drinking is a problem in Australia

Correct. That's why they should start bridge clubs in all the bars. Gives a good reason for a raid.

Because in there own countries were they are holding down jobs, family, reputations, etc, they have to hide it.

Here, retire, and "what the hell", they don't have to hide it.

Doubt there is any difference in the 'problem drinker' stats between here and 'home'.

Seems to be many pious folk on here, including the OP, who assume just cos a foreigner happens to be sitting in a bar enjoying a beer he has a drinking problem.

I enjoy having a few beers of an evening with friends and continue to function perfectly normal, while enjoying a great life here.

When you say "Rough numbers of 70%+ of expats I’ve met in Bangkok,Pattaya,Hua Hin, Phuket have a drinking problem" ... maybe you need to broaden your scope of Thai venues.

I agree that Thailand seems to have a lot of drunks, but I see the same in all the expat-filled countries I visit ... e.g., Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, West Indies, Spain, etc.

Seems to be many pious folk on here, including the OP, who assume just cos a foreigner happens to be sitting in a bar enjoying a beer he has a drinking problem.

I enjoy having a few beers of an evening with friends and continue to function perfectly normal, while enjoying a great life here.

Cheers.....keep your venues close to your chest and your habits in tow.

70% of the people i meet here are doing fine.....the other 30% get offended when they realise we were just having a chat over a beer on passing, and i don't want to keep in touch.

The op is hanging in the wrong joints.

How many bars are there where you come from OP?

Out of that number, how many of them are open? Or do you know what goes on behind closed doors?

How many visitors do you get coming and going month in, month out to your home town/city?

IMO, countries like Thailand are holiday destinations where normal people arrive after saving for their holidays. What happens on holiday is not normal practice as regards how most people act at home during their normal existence and they probably have just reason to kick back and let themselves go for a while before their return to routine.

In my years here, both as a bar fly and as a bar owner, i have seen many professional people acting like teenagers just turning off age for the period that they were here for. Loving every minute until it ends.

Everyone has a story, has a reason. Don't judge too harshly.......................wink.png

i just want to second that, adding i do not have any idea where you got your persentage from?? did you get to find all the farangs in thailand and can you please inform the rest of us as to how many live in thailand, and of that how many are like you just here on holidays, trying to enjoy themselves, i for the life of me, have not seen any evidence from you as to be able to judge other people's actions, i say live your own life and if this behaviour does not sit well with you, maybe you need to find another country to have your negative thoughts .

When I tell others I don't drink, i'm literally boo'd out the door. Many come from drinking heavy drinking countries but think about this...

Why do you see so many old farangs with young Thai women? They ran away from their problems back at their home country and came here where no one would judge them for those problems. They are, essentially, the garbage that others in their own country wouldn't accept.

That's not speaking to all, some are great people but a lot. How many westerners, in their home countries, would be visiting a strip club every day? Personally, i'd rather spend my time with a woman I love than one I shove but that's just me.