Visa advice Thai wife in UK on Settlement Visa

When did you download and print off the original form?

So far there's been three updates in 2016; one in March and two in April; one on the 6th and the second on the 18th; see here, presumably because they made a mistake on the first April one.

Typical of UKVI that the page says the update made on the 18th April is for use from the 8th April!

Two morals, if I may:

• Always check that one is using the latest form before sending it off; updates can and do occur without notice. This can be seen on the page one downloaded the form from; for FLR that's here: "Last updated:18 April 2016."
  • Always take a copy of the completed form before sending it off in case of queries etc.

How wonderful is that? A form that has to be backdated!!!

If UKVI are saying you need to apply on a form that was not available when you applied then please, please complain!

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/uk-visas-and-immigration/about/complaints-procedure

If you used the March 2016 form and you applied shortly after, I would also complain especially if you have copies of the application.

Sadly one thing I am sure of, is that applications go to the bottom of the list whoever makes the mistake! My sister in law had her ILR delayed because UKVI did not take the money for both applications made. One long delay was followed by a second long delay. Doing passport applications now!

Well hopefully we are on the right track now and things will work out, we will just go do biometric data and then its a waiting game till we hear something.

Ill update the post as soon as I hear anything.

Thanks for the assistance.

• 2 months later...

Well after submitting the biometric data and two further requests from the home office for more information the visa was finally granted :)

The letter stated: Grant of leave to remain five year partner route.

Does that mean that we have to apply for a further period of leave to remain or can we apply straight for indefinite leave to remain ?, Near the end of this visa ?

I understand my wife will now have to do new English test requirement and the life in the UK test. Is there anything more I have missed ?

Thanks

Edited by raven0099

Where did you get married? UK or Thailand? If the UK the Settlement visa (M) (Fiancée) visa lasts for six months followed by two FLR visas. Then ILR.

If Thailand the initial visa (Two years and nine months I think) and one period of FLR means that you can then go for ILR.

If you have already started the route to ILR you can use the language certificate that you already have.

Life in the UK test for ILR.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

We are here again with current visa (First period of leave to remain to expire Jan 2019) .

So I am trying to make a plan for next visa which will be a further period of leave to remain (FLR M) I have a few queries listed below if anyone would be able to help.

We will need to do an English Test which I am assuming is A2 Life skills or should we go straight for B1 Life skills ?

Will we have to repay the Health surcharge ?

Will we have to resubmit biometric data ?

Finally I am struggling to get a test booked as it doesn't display the country ?

Thanks

4 hours ago, rasg said:

If it is FLR you will have to pay the NHS surcharge and new biometrics too.

If her English is good enough, go for B1.

Thanks

Is B1 English quite difficult ?

Id say her speaking and listening are at quite a good level , reading and writing , spelling not so good.

Id say her speaking and listening are at quite a good level , reading and writing , spelling not so good. 

It's more difficult than A1 and A2 but not by much. Take a look at the Trinity College YouTube feed for some examples.

• 3 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:56 PM, rasg said:

It's more difficult than A1 and A2 but not by much. Take a look at the Trinity College YouTube feed for some examples.

Thanks for your advice.

We did as you said and went for the B1 and my wife passed :).

What would you recommend as a time frame for applying for the next visa , 1 month before current expiry or could I leave it a little later ?

We are going to have to apply for another period of FLR because my wife has not done the life in UK test yet.

Edited by raven0099
details updated

Thanks

IELTS Life Skills B1 doesn't assess reading or writing, just speaking and listening. She will have to speak for around a minute on a topic and ask her partner questions about the topic she speaks about. There is also a planning exercise where interaction is assessed. If she's a confident person she should pass, as the level of English required to pass is still fairly low.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

IELTS Life Skills B1 doesn't assess reading or writing, just speaking and listening. She will have to speak for around a minute on a topic and ask her partner questions about the topic she speaks about. There is also a planning exercise where interaction is assessed. If she's a confident person she should pass, as the level of English required to pass is still fairly low.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Hi ,

Yes it was as you stated and thankfully all good and she passed the B1

• Like 1

On 11/11/2018 at 9:37 PM, raven0099 said:

Quote from FLR M form first page.

(This form is for use only if you are requesting a fee waiver for yourself or any dependent children that are applying with you)

(If you are not requesting a fee waiver you must apply online)

Anyone know if its online applications only for FLR M ? 

Thanks 

2 hours ago, rasg said:

The last time I looked you could do either. If I remember, the online application was in beta.

Hi, 

It must have changed then as the current link to PDF form for FLR M says as posted above. 

What is Beta ?

Edited by raven0099

6 hours ago, raven0099 said:

What is Beta ?

Beta software is where they are still testing it and ironing out the bugs.

The government had beta on the main visa system for two or three years. FLR was new earlier this year.

• Thanks 1