Thai poll shows most people are not adequately informed about charter draft to vote

webfact

Poll shows most people are not adequately informed about charter draft to vote

1402001-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Only 7.22 percent of the people are fully informed about the content of the charter draft while 16.1 percent know nothing about it because they are not interested in the issue at all, according to Suan Dusit Poll of Suan Dusit University.

Suan Dusit Poll sampled the opinions of 1,522 people of different occupations of various age groups and found out that the majority of the respondents or 45.01 percent said they know something about the charter draft because they keep abreast with news in the social media and mainstream media and they heard about the subject from friends.

31.67 percent admitted that they know a bit about the draft because the issue is complicated and they do not follow it up.

The poll also shows the following results:

81.14 percent of the respondents want to know the core issues of the draft and the difference between the current draft and the previous constitutions.

76.15 percent say they want to know only the rights and liberty of the people.

68.46 percent say they want to know about the election and selection of MPs and about the prime minister.

59.92 percent want to know about the mechanisms to prevent corruption and to deal with corrupt bureaucrats and politicians.

69.10 percent say most people are not adequately informed about the draft to vote in the referendum and 80.16 percent want an educational campaign to be launched to inform the public about the content of the draft before the referendum.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/150866

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-02-15

It doesn't really matter anyway. The recipe is:

1. Create a constitution

2. Have an election

3. Have a military coup

4. Create a new constitution

5. Have an election

6. Have a military coup

7. Create a new constitution

8. Repeat indefinitely

What good is a constitution if you can eradicate it on the whim of the General du jour. coffee1.gif

How can the average Thai be adequately informed of anything in this environment? In the typical village information revolves around who gave bt20 to the wat - that (blasting loud speakers scattered throughout the village) seems to be the Village Chief's "big task."

How can the average Thai be adequately informed of anything in this environment? In the typical village information revolves around who gave bt20 to the wat - that (blasting loud speakers scattered throughout the village) seems to be the Village Chief's "big task."

Our village just got 3 more loud speaker towers so even those with 100% hearing loss will be able to hear here! rolleyes.gif

Page one of this thread seemed to have a lot of negativity from posters.....all I can say is.....carry on people! biggrin.png

Our village just got 3 more loud speaker towers so even those with 100% hearing loss will be able to hear here! rolleyes.gif

Page one of this thread seemed to have a lot of negativity from posters.....all I can say is.....carry on people! biggrin.png

Perhaps the additional loud speakers will increase the Chief's ego, and show villagers that the money (some/very little) from the govt. has been spent on the village. LOL They will believe him/her. lol

These methods of communication i.e. LOUD SPEAKERS seem so so ????? well.... ear piercing for starters.

31.67 percent admitted that they know a bit about the draft because the issue is complicated and they do not follow it up.

The poll also shows the following results:

81.14 percent of the respondents want to know the core issues of the draft and the difference between the current draft and the previous constitutions.

76.15 percent say they want to know only the rights and liberty of the people.

68.46 percent say they want to know about the election and selection of MPs and about the prime minister.

59.92 percent want to know about the mechanisms to prevent corruption and to deal with corrupt bureaucrats and politicians.

69.10 percent say most people are not adequately informed about the draft to vote in the referendum and 80.16 percent want an educational campaign to be launched to inform the public about the content of the draft before the referendum.

95.3 percent wanted to know how much they would be paid for voting.

It's been clear for several decades that specific education about civil society and the mechanisms to build and maintain civil society is zero and this urgently needs fixing.

Add this to the long list of failures of the education ministry, and especially the senior ministerial folks who are responsible to build the framework of education curriculum.

It's been clear for several decades that specific education about civil society and the mechanisms to build and maintain civil society is zero and this urgently needs fixing.

Add this to the long list of failures of the education ministry, and especially the senior ministerial folks who are responsible to build the framework of education curriculum.

I add more.

A pre-organized debate about newspapers late last year. One side had to convince the class (about 60 students) that 'Thai newspapers give good clear information', other side the opposite view - ''Thai newspapers don't give good clear information'.

The subject was randomly selected by the youngest student from an envelope with 10 debate options, vastly different subjects.

You might well ask - why even have debates? Easy answer, there is enormous criticism from many Thai employer organizations that new bachelor graduates can't express themselves verbally / they can't discuss, etc.

At one point the speech by one presenter went off tracks about news re voting - The speaker said it's all very clear about voting.

Next speaker (from the not clear team) said 'not true, in fact I don't know where to vote and I don't know how to register my address in Bangkok province so I can vote'

A little later there was a Q and A session with rest of the students pushed to participate.

One comment - If you are born outside Bangkok you can never vote, it's not allowed, voting is for Bangkok people only.

This prompted numerous quick comments from across the class, many saying 'that's not true', other student giving diverse comments on the realities of this point.

I mentioned this in the professors lunch room (99% Thai professors, some can speak good to perfect English) -their main response:

- 'This is not an important matter'.

Edited by scorecard

All of which is true though a strong civil society can never be imposed solely or even mainly through the intervention of bureaucrats.Its a much more complex business involving respect and dignity for all not just the self appointed good people.

As to the proposed Charter I doubt whether there is much difference in comprehension across class and income group.

Many Thais regard the Junta's Charter in the same way one would regard the proposed purchase of a stolen car.It presents itself without legitimacy and is rooted in criminality.Even though parts of it might be acceptable, it's best not to buy it at all.

I add more.

A pre-organized debate about newspapers late last year. One side had to convince the class (about 60 students) that 'Thai newspapers give good clear information', other side the opposite view - ''Thai newspapers don't give good clear information'.

The subject was randomly selected by the youngest student from an envelope with 10 debate options, vastly different subjects.

You might well ask - why even have debates? Easy answer, there is enormous criticism from many Thai employer organizations that new bachelor graduates can't express themselves verbally / they can't discuss, etc.

At one point the speech by one presenter went off tracks about news re voting - The speaker said it's all very clear about voting.

Next speaker (from the not clear team) said 'not true, in fact I don't know where to vote and I don't know how to register my address in Bangkok province so I can vote'

A little later there was a Q and A session with rest of the students pushed to participate.

One comment - If you are born outside Bangkok you can never vote, it's not allowed, voting is for Bangkok people only.

This prompted numerous quick comments from across the class, many saying 'that's not true', other student giving diverse comments on the realities of this point.

I mentioned this in the professors lunch room (99% Thai professors, some can speak good to perfect English) -their main response:

Newspapers are not available for sale in our village, we made arrangements for daily delivery by motorcycle. Doesn't matter much what point of view, or information the papers provide if they're not available for everyone to read. My wife passes her papers along to a neighbor, I don't know what he does with them.

All of which is true though a strong civil society can never be imposed solely or even mainly through the intervention of bureaucrats.Its a much more complex business involving respect and dignity for all not just the self appointed good people.

As to the proposed Charter I doubt whether there is much difference in comprehension across class and income group.

Many Thais regard the Junta's Charter in the same way one would regard the proposed purchase of a stolen car.It presents itself without legitimacy and is rooted in criminality.Even though parts of it might be acceptable, it's best not to buy it at all.

So jayboy did the paymasters governments (some 12 years in total) ever make any progress on this point?

Other governments, different colors etc., can of course also be faulted in regard to this point.

How opportunistic to now blame it on the junta.

Quote:

"Many Thais regard the Junta's Charter in the same way one would regard the proposed purchase of a stolen car.It presents itself without legitimacy and is rooted in criminality.Even though parts of it might be acceptable, it's best not to buy it at all."

As always you write as if it's fact - can you prove it's fact? You can't because it's not fact, just your usual style trying to say you absolutely know all.

Frankly, IMHO your wrong.

I add more.

Newspapers are not available for sale in our village, we made arrangements for daily delivery by motorcycle. Doesn't matter much what point of view, or information the papers provide if they're not available for everyone to read. My wife passes her papers along to a neighbor, I don't know what he does with them.

Good point, in my university, many times, professors have asked their students:

- Who reads newspapers every day? Nobody!

- Who read a newspaper in the last month? Nobody.

- Who never reads newspapers? Everybody.

- Who watches a TV news service:

- ...every day?, ...in the last month?, ...ever? Same response as above.

About 3 years ago I started giving business related assignments where the students have to submit photocopies / smartphone photos (printed) of 2 newspaper articles to back up their research.

In some cases I indicate that the only submissions I will accept are from 2 or 3 nominated international newspapers.

(I also carefully monitor how many students have submitted exactly the same research.)

So jayboy did the paymasters governments (some 12 years in total) ever make any progress on this point?

Other governments, different colors etc., can of course also be faulted in regard to this point.

Quote:

"Many Thais regard the Junta's Charter in the same way one would regard the proposed purchase of a stolen car.It presents itself without legitimacy and is rooted in criminality.Even though parts of it might be acceptable, it's best not to buy it at all."

As always you write as if it's fact - can you prove it's fact? You can't because it's not fact, just your usual style trying to say you absolutely know all.

You are entitled to your opinion.I note you have PR so you must have acquired quite a few years experience of the country.Whether this has simply fortified your views or left you open to new ideas is not for me to say.The reference to the paymaster's governments doesnt inspire confidence because it is the kind of simplistic rhetoric that doesnt help understanding.

As to the charter I agree all governments have failed to live up to their obligations.I certainly dont blame the Junta alone for Thailand's failure to nurture its fragile democracy.Nevertheless I do believe the current charter proposals are tainted not least because of the lack of free discussion.Regardless of any referendum it lacks legitimacy.

I dont have a monopoly of wisdom and am often wrong.Everything I post is an opinion.

Quote:

I believe that the "paymaster"s governments were only in power a total of 9 years.

As for the perspective of many Thais and the junta and this charter, even under the current conditions, there are people daring to express their opinion regarding the legitimacy of the junta and it's constitution.

Frankly, IMHO, I would say that Jayboy might just read more than you do. thumbsup.gif