Kalasin Accident

Tim16

Both are wrong but the motorbike rider is a idiot!

Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522

Section 45:

Street with two or more lanes overtaking from the left is legal but

1.) it is not legal if on the left is no lane, that is a street with two lanes - not three lanes.

2.) it is not legal within thirty meters of any pedestrian crossing, junction, roundabout, man-made traffic island, or railway crossing.

Of course in real life many road users, especially motorbikes uses the hard shoulder. I drive a car, a motorbike and I am even brave enough to drive a bicycle 3 to 5 times a week in Thailand.

I also use the hard shoulder, with the bicycle 100% of the time and with the scooter often. Especially with the bicycle similar situations happens often but the other way around.

Bicycle on the hard shoulder, car passes on the right, brakes hard and makes a left turn right in front of the bicycle without a care in the world.

But speeding with 100km/h on that part of the street and undertaking cars, that obviously are just in the process of slowing down is just asking for it. At second 11 in the video the car behind the Honda already changed lanes and you can see that the speed difference is massive.

The Honda braked and turn signal was on. If you look the video with filters applied you can see that the Honda had dark blinker lights on :annoyed:.

The Honda driver probably did not look in the mirror and also forgot to use a shoulder look. That was wrong.

On the other hand the motorbike had plenty of time to change lanes just like the car in front of him did.

But he had chosen to stay in that lane and drive straight on, he thought probably the Honda just slowed down for no reason at all....

What if the car had been a truck or a lorry with a trailer? Shoulder look is not possible and the blind spot of a truck with a trailer is big enough to park a bus inside.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Legal or not - the bike rider has a duty to stay alive. This means pay attention. He did not. School of hard knocks. "But it was not my fault !!!" Heard in a graveyard near you.

"School of Hard Knocks" - isn't that the mythical school that is believed to be real by people who have lost all their sense due to hard knocks? An annex of the equally mythical University of Life?

...... its usually used by those without education and a chip on their shoulder to defend their insecurities in an attempt to criticise those of a higher education....

....those who "went to the School of Hard Knocks and the University of Life" commonly believe they have greater common sense than those who went to university... etc... etc... the whole idea and argument is moronic.

Anyone can have common sense, street smarts etc... its about experience not education.

Equally so, anyone can have more or less capacity to pay attention, although education plays a roll here - in this case driver education to pay attention to your surroundings or risk the consequences, which in this case cost the motorcycle rider who clearly wasn't paying attention...

Very commonly in Thailand the shoulder is used by motorbikes but it is not a motorbike lane . If the rider in th OP had been on the road he would not have hit the car.

In other words, you can't answer the question. Very often it is an official motorbike lane.

Nice discussion here BTW, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/541908-motorcycle-rules-of-the-road-and-laws/

The most informed comment from that thread

"Yep. This topic has been covered numerous times in this forum. Staying left applies to all vehicles unless overtaking. Also, motorcycles are not required to stay in any particular part of the individual lane or on the shoulder unless there is a designated, posted, bike lane.

Also, I bet most of you aren't aware that motorcycles are not required to stop at a red light at a T-junction where a road enters from the right if the bike lane line is unbroken. Funny because I often see Thai's stopped there, but then at the next 4-way intersection they will blow though the red."

Edited by stevenl

DELETED

It's quite obvious that 90% of it is the bike's fault and 10% the car.

Car's 10% is SOLELY not indicating. That is a traffic violation, him not looking around in mirrors constantly is just the sign of low quality brains, not a crime.

Bike not in designated lane, riding on shoulder that is used for emergency parking

bike is not following the traffic flow or speed limit

bike is not looking ahead

no helmet on passenger(this could be premeditated murder, just like all the farangs parents who dont put helmets on their kids)

If bike had been driving in the lane, he would of seen traffic slow down, moved right (where OP seems to be driving VERY slow and blocking traffic) and passed the cars

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

If one watches You Tube it seems many head cam riders rather enjoy running into cars that are quite obvious going to pull out wrongly in front of them.Seems that being in the Right takes away the pain for some. They seem so proud to show the fault of others,rather sad mangled cases some of them.coffee1.gif .

The Mini Cars windows are to tinted to see Scooter as usual.

You have amazing vision to be able to tell the tint is too dark.

Any tints too dark. just for flash hoons n showgirls, use expensive clear stuff or aircon n sunglasses O.E. glass is 10 % min to start with thesedays

The Mini Cars windows are to tinted to see Scooter as usual.

You have amazing vision to be able to tell the tint is too dark.

Any tints too dark. just for flash hoons n showgirls, use expensive clear stuff or aircon n sunglasses O.E. glass is 10 % min to start with thesedays

555.... maybe I was wrong and your vision is infact very poor hence you hatred of tint.

Section 45:

1.) it is not legal if on the left is no lane, that is a street with two lanes - not three lanes.

2.) it is not legal within thirty meters of any pedestrian crossing, junction, roundabout, man-made traffic island, or railway crossing.

Of course in real life many road users, especially motorbikes uses the hard shoulder. I drive a car, a motorbike and I am even brave enough to drive a bicycle 3 to 5 times a week in Thailand.

I also use the hard shoulder, with the bicycle 100% of the time and with the scooter often. Especially with the bicycle similar situations happens often but the other way around.

Bicycle on the hard shoulder, car passes on the right, brakes hard and makes a left turn right in front of the bicycle without a care in the world.

But speeding with 100km/h on that part of the street and undertaking cars, that obviously are just in the process of slowing down is just asking for it. At second 11 in the video the car behind the Honda already changed lanes and you can see that the speed difference is massive.

The Honda braked and turn signal was on. If you look the video with filters applied you can see that the Honda had dark blinker lights on annoyed.gif.

The Honda driver probably did not look in the mirror and also forgot to use a shoulder look. That was wrong.

On the other hand the motorbike had plenty of time to change lanes just like the car in front of him did.

But he had chosen to stay in that lane and drive straight on, he thought probably the Honda just slowed down for no reason at all....

What if the car had been a truck or a lorry with a trailer? Shoulder look is not possible and the blind spot of a truck with a trailer is big enough to park a bus inside.

Good analysis.

Well written.

Why didn't the OP stop? or did he?

I did not stop, neither did the Honda driver.

I slowed down and allowed the Honda to undertake me, at this point my GF took photo of Honda with her phone.

The photo showed the registration number, she called the police but was put on hold with music playing,

Several other attempts to call police- same result, gave up in the end.

post-60474-0-54316000-1455596030_thumb.j

I slowed down and allowed the Honda to undertake me, at this point my GF took photo of Honda with her phone.

The photo showed the registration number, she called the police but was put on hold with music playing,

so how is the motorcyclist?

what is motoline ?.

This pushbike is riding on the hard shoulder, it is not a designated lane.

cyclist.jpg

THere's a lot of very vague expressions being used about "road shoulders" (in UK the hard shoulder is a term used mostly for the nearside of motorways). The shoulder is the edge of the road and its size, nature and construction can vary from road to road, country to country.

I also notice that people keep using the word "designated" as if it has some legal significance or justifies their argument - what precisely do you think you mean by this?

Some countries (e.g.Uk and Thailand) have "dedicated" lanes specifically for certain types of vehicles - (cycles, buses etc.0 A designated road...well define it with a reference to Thailand if you think it helps. To me it means it has a number.

The "Hard shoulder" in Uk in the photo s not on a motorway and it IS permissible to use this part of the road in certain circumstances. I would suggest that the picture would indicate that in those circumstances common sense would allow it.

Thai roads are designed and constructed differently from UK roads and different conventions (if not actual laws) apply.

Thai roads are in general much broader, they don't use kerb stones and don't usually have readily defined borders. Thai traffic has a very wide range of vehicles - and all with widely different speed and manoeuvring capabilities, ranging from elephants through motorcycles, sidecars, rot ken to trucks and private cars.....thew result is that slower vehicles tend to use the edges of the roads allowing the faster, larger and more modern modes of transport to pass easily.

if you don't appreciate this your days of driving in Thailand without incident are numbered.

Edited by cumgranosalum

Section 45:

The Honda braked and turn signal was on. If you look the video with filters applied you can see that the Honda had dark blinker lights on annoyed.gif.

I agree, except I don't think one can actually work out from the video what happened to the motorcyclist or what was going through his head - you can see what it looked like only from that angle and in that range - anyone who knows anything about photography or cinematography will know how misleading a camera angle can be..

what is motoline ?.

This pushbike is riding on the hard shoulder, it is not a designated lane.

cyclist.jpg

If you drive once in Thai road you cant not see motoline.

And no need sho another country road. We talk about Thai.

I show you motoline.

Now you show me any article where car can not care give way from another line vehical and turn.

post-81192-0-36126100-1455602920_thumb.j

Edited by seedy
rotate foto

So that far left white line dictates that is a motoline (what ever that is, never heard it before. Is it spose to be lane instead of line ?) as well as the sign obviously.

In the OP's vid that far left line does not exist so we can now put this to bed, the bike rider was not in anyway riding in a motoline.

Thankyou for the image.

Should just give the clip and the picture to "YouLike"

https://www.facebook.com/ceclip/

Edited by mortenaa

So that far left white line dictates that is a motoline (what ever that is, never heard it before. Is it spose to be lane instead of line ?) as well as the sign obviously.

In the OP's vid that far left line does not exist so we can now put this to bed, the bike rider was not in anyway riding in a motoline.

Thankyou for the image.

It does not need that far left line to be a motorbike lane. I can not believe that you guys are driving around here without acknowledging the existence of a motorbike lane.

Thankyou for the image.

What you are saying is actually flying in the face of all the evidence.

I cant believe you have convinced yourself it is a designated bike lane.

there's that word again!

Indeed there it is. if it has not been designated a bike lane by the transport dept then IT IS NOT A BIKE LANE.... why do you struggle with this ?

I cant believe you have convinced yourself it is a designated bike lane.

there's that word again!

Indeed there it is. if it has not been designated a bike lane by the transport dept then IT IS NOT A BIKE LANE.... why do you struggle with this ?

For a start because what you are making is a false syllogism. The implication of a designated or dedicated lane is that it is for the exclusive use of a certain type of vehicle - it does NOT preclude its usage at all. ....and the convention on Thai roads certainly contradicts everything you say. It seems to me you are just trying to impose your own idea of a highway code on a situation where it just isn't applicable.

I also suspect you are using a word you don't fully understand in an effort to give a sense of gravitas to a spurious argument.

Edited by cumgranosalum

It's not clear in that video if it is the road shoulder or a double white line indicating a bike lane. Either way, both vehicles contributed to this accident. The bike was driving excessively fast and the car driver braked heavily to turn and obviously did not see the bike coming. It takes two to tango.